Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alright armchair GMs

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

From 4, we could conceivably trade down twice and get a future 1 along with more picks for this year.  Then take one of the second tier QBs.   

Or stand pat at 4 and take Will Anderson. 

IMO, I think only EDGE Will Anderson has the potential to be a generational talent.  None of the Qbs are.  Would you take Von Miller and draft a QB not named Mahomes, Allen, Rogers, etc.

Put it this way, would you give up Von Miller just to take a QB that isn't as good as those top elite QBs.  I don't think I would.

Yeah, Anderson ain’t a certainty either.  You can equate him to Von Miller, but it’s actually “do you want to take a chance at a risky QB pick or a safer defensive player?”  Honestly, I think Young and Stroud are waaayyy better than any QBs in reach to us in the last couple of years.  And they’re likely to be much better than what we could get next year.  Or, from Ballard’s perspective, if we’re in a position to get one of the top 2 QBs next year, Ballard will probably not be GM at the 2024 draft.  So, it’s time to cr@9 or get off the pot.  Draft a QB!

I would stay at #4 and hope that Levis falls to us... I'd also explore trades for Taylor (huge contract coming up), Leonard (too much money in an off ball LBer), and Buckner (if we are going to rebuild over "reload") and see how many good picks we can get in this draft... Take BiJan Robinson with one of them, Levis with one...then the best we can draft for the others...I'd keep Buckner over Taylor or Leonard, though, personally (unless someone offers us a mid 1st for him)

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

What would you give the bears to move up?

I'd go 1st this year and next year, a 2nd this year, and trade Leonard if we re-sign Bobby 

Nothing. If anything I would consider making  a move with Arizona. They know they can get something from the Colts and get the exact same player they can get at 3, but Chicago would ask WAY too much to jump up to 1

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

A ham sandwich. 

People are getting super focused on the top 3 QBs, like any of them are a sure thing.  None of the QBs are worth number 1, IMO.   And I doubt that they are worth a top 4 pick....QBs are usually over drafted because of wishful thinking.

Lots of good QBs can be had in this draft by trading down to mid or late first.  Gamble with the rookie QB there after getting more picks for this year and next.   The roster needs talent, and we need to reset the salary structure so a lot of vets should be on the trade block.

We'd get basically the same quality QB pick 20 and later and still have him on a 5 year rookie contract.

Like who and dont say max duggan as he looks terrible

2 hours ago, ColtV said:

Nothing. If anything I would consider making  a move with Arizona. They know they can get something from the Colts and get the exact same player they can get at 3, but Chicago would ask WAY too much to jump up to 1

Josh McDaniels gave up a 2,3,4 to move a few spots with Ravens to get Tim Tebow. Raiders at 7 could be the dark horse more than willing to give up two 1sts and maybe two 2nds to move to No.1, IMO.

A scenario I thought of yesterday for us to move up would be to offer the #4, #35 (R2/4) & 1st in 2024 plus Kenny Moore to the Bears for #1 & #136 (R5/1) & their 2024 5th. It'd give the Bears around a +500 point difference in the old Jimmy Johnson draft value chart. So it'd be enough incentive for them to think about taking it imo. 

Personally I'd trade back and draft McKee later in the 1st if they get a good offer to move back rather than trading up to #1. This team has many holes and could really use the extra picks from trading back. 

9 hours ago, 912Colts said:

A scenario I thought of yesterday for us to move up would be to offer the #4, #35 (R2/4) & 1st in 2024 plus Kenny Moore to the Bears for #1 & #136 (R5/1) & their 2024 5th. It'd give the Bears around a +500 point difference in the old Jimmy Johnson draft value chart. So it'd be enough incentive for them to think about taking it imo. 

Personally I'd trade back and draft McKee later in the 1st if they get a good offer to move back rather than trading up to #1. This team has many holes and could really use the extra picks from trading back. 

I'm intrigued by McKee, also...could be bad, sure...but also has the potential to be really good.

In your scenario, I'd like to stay where we are at #4 and take best non-QB available to get a real difference maker (or barely move back to a team looking for one of the top 3 QBs and grab an extra pick or so)...then use our high #2 and whatever else it takes, to move back into round 1 and get McKee.  We don't just need to fill holes, we need legit difference makers and at #4, we could get someone special if things fall right

On 1/8/2023 at 7:08 PM, CR91 said:

I'd go 1st this year and next year, a 2nd this year, and trade Leonard if we re-sign Bobby 

I wouldn't give anything unless I knew 100% that 1.) The Texans wanted the same QB as us. 2.) Other teams were willing to trade up to 1 and we were guaranteed not to get Stroud or Young if this happens. 3.) We have no interest in Will Levis and 4.) There are no trade down offers with us before the draft that could help for the future where we could still get Levis or Richardson if we are interested. 

I'd trade up 1 spot to 3, but not to 1. That is expensive and unnecessary most likely unless you value one of Stroud or Young much more than the other. I value Stroud much more, but I don't believe Ballard does.

There’s also some key QB dominoes that need to fall. Derrick Carr, Jordan Love, Jimmy G, and Lamar Jackson. Also need to make sure the Seahawks re-sign Geno.

Once that happens, then we can talk about if we need to trade up or not. But again, I don’t think we’ll need to. Last year’s mocks on the popular sites had teams trading up for Willis and Pickett, and neither of those things happened.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Once that happens, then we can talk about if we need to trade up or not. But again, I don’t think we’ll need to. Last year’s mocks on the popular sites had teams trading up for Willis and Pickett, and neither of those things happened.

Agreed

I think / hope that we sit pat, and let the draft come to us.

At 4, we will have a choice at QB1, QB2, QB3, or a great DE prospect

If the DE is it, we have to take a QB in round 2 (Hooker)

There is no bona fide, blue chip QB here (Peyton Manning type ) .......  There is no reason to move up

40 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I'm intrigued by McKee, also...could be bad, sure...but also has the potential to be really good.

In your scenario, I'd like to stay where we are at #4 and take best non-QB available to get a real difference maker (or barely move back to a team looking for one of the top 3 QBs and grab an extra pick or so)...then use our high #2 and whatever else it takes, to move back into round 1 and get McKee.  We don't just need to fill holes, we need legit difference makers and at #4, we could get someone special if things fall right

Mckee is joe flacco. We can draft non qb at 4 but you only do that if you feel the qbs out of the top 3 arent much better than hooker, mckee, and bennett. Personally Id take whoever is left of the top three then draft bennett later in the draft. I think we need to take two qbs and hope one of them pans out because we will never be right until we find a decent qb

A bit rich for my blood but probably what it would take:

4th, 36th, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd, Deforest Buckner

While I do think we’re giving up a lot, it still remains tempting just to ensure that we get our guy at QB for the foreseeable future. Not to mention we have a pretty good track record with QBs selected 1st overall 

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

Montgomery is ok. Not exactly a top ten back 

They've got very good RB in Khalil Herbert, but may have to let Montgomery go in free agency. 

They may just draft an RB2 in day 3 to go along with Herbert, in any case Fields would be their leading rusher if they believe in him as the franchise QB. 

Not sure if getting Taylor is necessary for Bears, they off-loaded all huge contracts and they may not be likely willing to pay another huge contract in RB position, to begin their fresh rebuild. 

17 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

They've got very good RB in Khalil Herbert, but may have to let Montgomery go in free agency. 

They may just draft an RB2 in day 3 to go along with Herbert, in any case Fields would be their leading rusher if they believe in him as the franchise QB. 

Not sure if getting Taylor is necessary for Bears, they off-loaded all huge contracts and they may not be likely willing to pay another huge contract in RB position, to begin their fresh rebuild. 

Yeah I read the Bears actually don’t have a lot of cap space. That’s why they let a lot of those guys go. Mack, Smith, and Quinn. Taylor is up for an extension. They may be interested in guys like Kenny Moore and Campbell as a FA, but Buckner, Leonard, and Taylor would cost a lot of money.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I read the Bears actually don’t have a lot of cap space. That’s why they let a lot of those guys go. Mack, Smith, and Quinn. Taylor is up for an extension. They may be interested in guys like Kenny Moore and Campbell as a FA, but Buckner, Leonard, and Taylor would cost a lot of money.

No Bears have off-loaded all huge contracts, meaning that they only have a couple of players having double digit cap number. They have got $100 million cap space in new league year, so they can certainly pay JT his next contract. I only suspect if they'd wanna rebuild with huge contract given to the RB position, after sending very good OLB, LB players out for a fresh start. 

If they didn't have any concerns about their spending, they could have kept Quinn and Smith, maybe they traded these players for draft picks. 

Bears aren't really consistent under this GM or for many years except for liking elite defensive talent, so I'm thinking they'd want to spend more on WR group on the offensive side and much of the cap space would be spent on defensive side, with rookie QB contract and Eberflus as their head coach. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Mckee is joe flacco. We can draft non qb at 4 but you only do that if you feel the qbs out of the top 3 arent much better than hooker, mckee, and bennett. Personally Id take whoever is left of the top three then draft bennett later in the draft. I think we need to take two qbs and hope one of them pans out because we will never be right until we find a decent qb

I'm honestly open to whatever happens...just anxious and excited to see how the entire offseason plays out... but Flacco DID win a Super Bowl!

This year's first, this year's second, next year's second and third and Zaire Franklin and Kenny Moore.

I think that's fair value, but tbh if another team (I'm thinking Raiders) wants to sell out to trade up (remember who their owner is), then that can play to the Bears advantage. In that case we might have to offer next year's first, or a better player that Eberflus wants (Buckner or Leonard or Pittman come to mind). Id hate to do that, but it might be what it takes if other teams want that spot...

We have a strong advantage that the Bears can still get the best evaluated player in the draft still with taking our pick, but it all comes down to what other teams are willing to sell out for. Unfortunately, I can see a few terribly ran teams (again, the Raiders) willing to give up their entire future stock in the next three years to trade up to 1 this year. I hope that isn't the case.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:08 PM, CR91 said:

The thing I see us trading to the Bears is Kenny Moore for their 3rd Round pick.  Moore struggled with our new DC and wouldn't be a stretch to re-unite him with HC.  Although the Bears at this point are projected to have the highest cap space I think the Falcons would be a better trade partner for Leonard that could afford to take over his contract and deal us their second round pick.  Because of Leonard's injury do feel as risk/reward trade clause would be legit and do a future Round 4 with a 3rd Round trade incentive for 2024.  Assuming that both Okereke and Speed resign making Leonard expendable while helping to free up cap space.

Did you realize that the AFC South and NFL West have the worst Centers based on PFF stats for this season?  Wouldn't shock me to see us trade OC Kelly (NY Giants) and we go after Luke Wypler pair him up with Stroud or select OC John Michael Schmitz.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:59 PM, 912Colts said:

I would only give up that much if it's a surefire prospect like Luck or Lawrence. If that guy busts were out of alot of capitol that we need currently.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:08 PM, CR91 said:

In your scenario I think our #4 and Leonard for their #1 and swap Round 5 picks would be sufficient considering how valuable Leonard is to Eberflus's defense. And yes, re-signing Okereke AND Speed would be the determining factors as well.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

In your scenario I think our #4 and Leonard for their #1 and swap Round 5 picks would be sufficient considering how valuable Leonard is to Eberflus's defense. And yes, re-signing Okereke AND Speed would be the determining factors as well.

I can't see the bears not wanting multiple first. Also Leonard's two surgeries might be concerning 

4 hours ago, KB said:

I would only give up that much if it's a surefire prospect like Luck or Lawrence. If that guy busts were out of alot of capitol that we need currently.

Yeah, I 100% agree with you. I would rather wait until next year for one of Williams, Maye or Penix over any of these guys if they insist on drafting a QB in the 1st round. But with Ballard trying to save his job that wont happen. 

36 minutes ago, 912Colts said:

Yeah, I 100% agree with you. I would rather wait until next year for one of Williams, Maye or Penix over any of these guys if they insist on drafting a QB in the 1st round. But with Ballard trying to save his job that wont happen. 

I wouldn't be too sure of what Ballard will or won't do. Depends on the timeline that Irsay has set for him.

47 minutes ago, 912Colts said:

I'm not saying wait, but don't force it either. Next years class is more promising though. Might be reading to much into that interview, but it didn't seem like Ballard had a guy he absolutely wanted. Said he would go get his guy if they wanted one. Just seemed like more of a blanket statement that if his guy was there he would.

16 minutes ago, KB said:

I'm not saying wait, but don't force it either. Next years class is more promising though. Might be reading to much into that interview, but it didn't seem like Ballard had a guy he absolutely wanted. Said he would go get his guy if they wanted one. Just seemed like more of a blanket statement that if his guy was there he would.

Everything Ballard said was pretty much GM/coach speak. Most likely we won't know what's going to happen till it's already done. 

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Everything Ballard said was pretty much GM/coach speak. Most likely we won't know what's going to happen till it's already done. 

That's what I was thinking too. Just keep it bland so nobody can tell

At this point, I think we could go:

#4 pick in 2023,

#84 pick in 2023,

2024 1st round pick, and

Kenny Moore

I’d hate to give that much, but many are projecting much more.  Bottom line is that Chicago could do this and still get a premium DL.  Below the Colts, that’s not guaranteed.  If aced out of one of the top 2 QBs, the Colts will probably trade down and Ariz, Seattle, and whoever we trade with will snag those three premium DLs…

I don't think any of the QBs are going to be world beaters. Levis is intriguing and I am OK taking him at 4 if they think he has it because of  his arm, no way Young sticks around imho and Stouds ceiling is maybe Prescot and that isn't all that great.

If I was GM I would trade the number 4 pick to the Texans for their #11 1st round pick, their 2nd round #33 pick and next years #1 pick (which will probably be #1 or #2). The Colts start Ehrlinger all of next year. They probably end up with the #1 or #2 pick but certainly top 5. If the Texans or Colts pick is #1 we get the guy... Caleb Williams. If not we have 2 high  first round picks to trade and get the number 1 pick. If we somehow don't get Caleb there are better QB left than this year.

I think the Texans would make the trade because they will pick a QB this year. They can get whatever they need DL or anywhere else with the Colts #4. They won't need next years first round pick for a QB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 1:38 PM, Archer said:

At this point, I think we could go:

#4 pick in 2023,

#84 pick in 2023,

2024 1st round pick, and

Kenny Moore

I’d hate to give that much, but many are projecting much more.  Bottom line is that Chicago could do this and still get a premium DL.  Below the Colts, that’s not guaranteed.  If aced out of one of the top 2 QBs, the Colts will probably trade down and Ariz, Seattle, and whoever we trade with will snag those three premium DLs…

Not a fan of trading away our 2024 first round pick.  This year have a shot of drafting Stroud and next year a legit pairing of WR Harrison Jr.  Buckeyes also have two top defensive lineman that would be great additions.

Post more details later but this years FA class is weak across the OD lines.  2024 FA class is horrible so don’t expect much.  Next year’s FA will have super studs DL and Edge players and that’s about it with 1-2 interesting SS, RG and Center.

Can’t see parting with either Buckner or Stewart this off-season.  Draft has some good DIs this year.  Bottom line we keep our team mostly intact and absorb the salary cap and can only sign 2-3 low contracts in FA.  Continue to build through the draft. 

I stay at 4 and let everyone give up the house and the back forty to mess up the number one pick.

In my opinion if we get one of Stroud, Allen or Levis at 4 we are doing just fine. All of them have warts, but a good coaching staff can make all three of them successful.

My favorite is still Hendon Hooker though. He put up sick stats, he won and he won big games.

11 hours ago, FalseStart said:

Stay were we are at. Worse case scenario Anderson or Carter will be there at #4. Trade…get 2-3 picks or another rd2 and rd1 2024

that’s what I have been saying. Take a shot at a qb later that drops like one or two do every year.

• 4 weeks later...

The advantage the Colts have is that Chicago will take a lesser offer from them then most other teams is because the Bears are not going to want to drop lower than pick 4 because they at least want to end up with one of the 2 defensive guys. Anything lower than pick #4 and you might not get either one. Some teams might say they want a qb and make a trade with Chicago and they wanted Anderson or Carter all the time.

I don't think it will cost next years #1 and if it does the Colts should pass and stay at 4. 

I still say trade down and get another 1st round 2024 pick plus a few extra 2023 picks including a 1st round pick. Then trade to get Williams in 2024 when you have 2 first round picks. Getting Texas to trade up to #4 with their 2023 #11 and 2024 first round pick would almost guarantee the Colts the 2024 #1 pick via a trade. They could have 2 top 5 (maybe top 10) 2024 picks to trade for #1. It just has to be a team not needing a QB at #1. Chances are good it could be Texas or the Colts if they start Sam Ehlinger.  Plus we get to see if the new coach can make Ehlinger a starting QB. 

Archived