Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alright armchair GMs

15 minutes ago, SONAR said:

I think I would trade our number 1 this year and number 3 this year and maybe a 7th round this year, plus nick  foles for number one thats how important the position has become.

I don't think the Bears would want Nick Foles in return.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is way too much to move 2 spots. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is way too much. I suggested this years 4th pick and next years 1st rounder only and got jumped on by a few in here. You went way overboard IMO.

Keep in mind, we have to outbid the Raiders, Falcons, Panthers, and possibly the Seahawks. We're not the only QB needy team

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that but IMO that is still too much. Plus are the QBs coming out really that good? 

Yes. Young and Stroud are really good. Levis I'm not a fan. Also the Bears to acquire Leonard also means absorbing his massive contract.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Another option is trading Taylor, but I'd rather not take away weapons from the rookie QB

Colts traded Marshall Faulk away, drafted Edge later and drafted Addai a year after Edge to win SB, not the end of the world with RBs

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

What would you give the bears to move up?

nothing, thos qb’s aren’t worth it. I would go for a edge rusher and might be able to get one trading down a little. Take a shot at a qb that drops for some reason like usually happens.

10 minutes ago, husker61 said:

nothing, thos qb’s aren’t worth it. I would go for a edge rusher and might be able to get one trading down a little. Take a shot at a qb that drops for some reason like usually happens.

No. We have a golden opportunity to change our franchise. QBs like Young and Stroud don't come around every year. Taking a pass rusher solves nothing.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Colts traded Marshall Faulk away, drafted Edge later and drafted Addai a year after Edge to win SB, not the end of the world with RBs

i loved when the colts drafted Faulk, and hated the trade! Rams got the best of that trade by far, won them a sb.

The reality is we probably give up what we need to. We need a QB badly and this draft has at least two who seem to have really good good, relatively safe potential. If there has to be a bid to move to ensure we get one (or specifically the one we want) then we do whatever it takes. 

The brightside is the number 4 pick should be an attractive pick for the Bears, I’m not thinking we will have to give up too much. 

My immediate thought was - see if they want any of our players and try not to trade next year's 1. Leonard or Buckner... whatever gets it done. You can throw in Ryan. 

JT is about to get PAID, too... do we want a super expensive RB? Do the Bears? 

Same with Pittman. About to get paid. Do we want to pay him what it would take? Do the Bears? 

Just... try really hard not to give up picks and especially next years' no.1 

4 hours ago, landrus13 said:

I'd offer #4 and JT for the top pick. I think Moss showed us he can handle the load. He's been really good. Deon Jackson is also a capable backup. And we could draft one later in the draft. 

No way would I give up JT right now or in the near future.  We would have to get more for trading him than to just move up 3 spots in the draft IMO.  I don't value ANY of the QBs in the draft over him.  That's not to say I don't want any of them, just don't want to give up JT to get one.  I would try to get Lamar Jackson to Indy, if possible.  He played in Louisville, so he can get back to the midwest.  And LJ plus JT would be a nightmare for defenses.

2 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

The Bears are over the cap, that cannot take back any salary right now, they need to cut $7.5M.  Do they have any bad contracts the Colts would be willing to take to give them financial flexibility and not use too much of our draft capital?

The bears have the most cap space heading into off-season.  Over $100m

1 hour ago, jblastick said:

The bears have the most cap space heading into off-season.  Over $100m

That's what I thought I heard somewhere, but the site wouldn't let me make a trade without shedding the $7.5M off the cap for some reason.  Do you know of a good site for the cap numbers and trade ideas?  TYIA

9 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

That's what I thought I heard somewhere, but the site wouldn't let me make a trade without shedding the $7.5M off the cap for some reason.  Do you know of a good site for the cap numbers and trade ideas?  TYIA

Spotrac.com is a great one. Shows the Bears at $119mil in cap room next year. 

According to the draft tek trade value chart, there is a 1,200 point difference between the #1 pick and the #4 pick.  1,200 points is the same amount they assign to the 12th pick in this year’s draft.  So, according to the chart, trading next year’s 1st to move up to #1 would be a fair trade for both teams if we end up with about the 12th pick in next year’s draft.  That sounds about right to me…

Plus, I’d think we’d be a very attractive trade partner, since trading to us would virtually assure that two of the three picks ahead of Chicago are QBs…it would practically not change the Bears’ draft options.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

My immediate thought was - see if they want any of our players and try not to trade next year's 1. Leonard or Buckner... whatever gets it done. You can throw in Ryan. 

JT is about to get PAID, too... do we want a super expensive RB? Do the Bears? 

Same with Pittman. About to get paid. Do we want to pay him what it would take? Do the Bears? 

Just... try really hard not to give up picks and especially next years' no.1 

How about trading the whole team? That would assure us an early pick next season.  :thmup:

There are some game-changer,  DL in this draft

They are worthy of the top picks

I am in the camp that in the VERY rare case. if people trade up and take QB1, QB2, QB3 ahead of us, I would take the DE, and get QB in round 2 Hendon Hooker would be a great pickup

But....

At 4, we should be able to get Stroud or Levis

I watched more of Levis in 2021, and he looked like a top QB to pick

The injuries and lack of talent didnt help him in 2022

My hope is STILL that Stroud is there, but I am warming up to taking Levis

I dont see how we can miss here

1 hour ago, Archer said:

According to the draft tek trade value chart, there is a 1,200 point difference between the #1 pick and the #4 pick.  1,200 points is the same amount they assign to the 12th pick in this year’s draft.  So, according to the chart, trading next year’s 1st to move up to #1 would be a fair trade for both teams if we end up with about the 12th pick in next year’s draft.  That sounds about right to me…

Plus, I’d think we’d be a very attractive trade partner, since trading to us would virtually assure that two of the three picks ahead of Chicago are QBs…it would practically not change the Bears’ draft options.

100% this

You start with a Jets 2018 like offer.

1,2 from this draft plus 2,3 from next draft. If that doesn’t work, do straight up this year 1st and next year’s 1st to seal the deal if you have to.

Otherwise, 1,2 and JT on a rookie contract might get it done too with Eberflus and the Bears GM. That is what it will take.

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

There are some game-changer,  DL in this draft

They are worthy of the top picks

I am in the camp that in the VERY rare case. if people trade up and take QB1, QB2, QB3 ahead of us, I would take the DE, and get QB in round 2 Hendon Hooker would be a great pickup

But....

At 4, we should be able to get Stroud or Levis

I watched more of Levis in 2021, and he looked like a top QB to pick

The injuries and lack of talent didnt help him in 2022

My hope is STILL that Stroud is there, but I am warming up to taking Levis

I dont see how we can miss here

There are 2 defensive players and 2 QBs that could be considered #1 picks imo.  Like you said Stroud is who I would like but any of the other 3 would improve this team quite a bit.  

Nothing.

I think we’re overreacting a bit. I don’t think there is going to be this massive race to trade up for QBs. I think we can sit at 4 and be fine. Plus we would lose any bidding war to the Texans who I think people forget have a bunch of ammunition from the Watson trade which includes the 12th pick in this draft. If anything move up one spot with the Cardinals. Seahawks also have way more ammunition than us. 

Also don’t think Carolina trades up.

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nothing.

I think we’re overreacting a bit. I don’t think there is going to be this massive race to trade up for QBs. I think we can sit at 4 and be fine. Plus we would lose any bidding war to the Texans who I think people forget have a bunch of ammunition from the Watson trade which includes the 12th pick in this draft. If anything move up one spot with the Cardinals. Seahawks also have way more ammunition than us. 

That’s a fair take.  The other side of the equation is that Ballard is on a warm seat right now, and Irsay wants a long-term solution at QB.  I think the message to CB will be clear: get the right QB in Round 1, or you’re gone.  I’m not sure Ballard will sit pat and cross his fingers under those circumstances…

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nothing.

The issue is, if we don't trade up, we would have preferred the Texans stay at No.1 since one could force the Bears' hand at No.2. Texans being at No.2 actually complicates things because it is a certainty one of the 2 Young or Stroud will not be there at No.4

A ham sandwich. 

People are getting super focused on the top 3 QBs, like any of them are a sure thing.  None of the QBs are worth number 1, IMO.   And I doubt that they are worth a top 4 pick....QBs are usually over drafted because of wishful thinking.

Lots of good QBs can be had in this draft by trading down to mid or late first.  Gamble with the rookie QB there after getting more picks for this year and next.   The roster needs talent, and we need to reset the salary structure so a lot of vets should be on the trade block.

We'd get basically the same quality QB pick 20 and later and still have him on a 5 year rookie contract.

12 hours ago, husker61 said:

i loved when the colts drafted Faulk, and hated the trade! Rams got the best of that trade by far, won them a sb.

I disagree, although the rams did win a superbowl edge was very instrumental in turning our franchise around. I’m not sure Marshall wanted to be here. I believe edges play style was better for Peyton and is the reason for Peyton fast development and he doesn’t get enough credit. Also if edge doesn’t get injured I think he could have been the best rb in the history of the game. (Historical rookie pace) was well on his way to 3 rushing titles his first 3 years.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

A ham sandwich. 

People are getting super focused on the top 3 QBs, like any of them are a sure thing.  None of the QBs are worth number 1, IMO.   And I doubt that they are worth a top 4 pick....QBs are usually over drafted because of wishful thinking.

Lots of good QBs can be had in this draft by trading down to mid or late first.  Gamble with the rookie QB there after getting more picks for this year and next.   The roster needs talent, and we need to reset the salary structure so a lot of vets should be on the trade block.

We'd get basically the same quality QB pick 20 and later and still have him on a 5 year rookie contract.

It takes two to tango though. No guarantee we will be picking No.4 again, that is the first part.

Next, unless we move back to No.7 or No.8 or No.9 with a QB needy team like the Raiders or Falcons or Panthers, few teams will want to move up to No.4 unless it is for a QB. Plus, all those teams are within striking distance to move to No.1 and get a QB too, IMO. QBs get over drafted and we can't have our cake and eat it too with the draft. Teams are not going to move up to No.4 for a CB or pass rusher that easily unless they are can't miss guys. 

Daniel Jones is not a world beater but was drafted No.6 by the Giants while Bills moved up to No.8 for Josh Allen and Chiefs moved up to No.10 for Mahomes. It is possible the Giants wanted to move back too knowing he would have been there mid 1st round but couldn't get offers they liked, so they just stood pat and chose Daniel Jones.

You will need some real good inside info intel to move to No. 9 with the Panthers and hope Anthony Richardson is still there as the 4th QB on the board with draft equity gained, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It takes two to tango though. No guarantee we will be picking No.4 again, that is the first part.

Next, unless we move back to No.7 or No.8 or No.9 with a QB needy team like the Raiders or Falcons or Panthers, few teams will want to move up to No.4 unless it is for a QB. Plus, all those teams are within striking distance to move to No.1 and get a QB too, IMO. QBs get over drafted and we can't have our cake and eat it too with the draft. Teams are not going to move up to No.4 for a CB or pass rusher that easily unless they are can't miss guys. 

Daniel Jones is not a world beater but was drafted No.6 by the Giants while Bills moved up to No.8 for Josh Allen and Chiefs moved up to No.10 for Mahomes. You will need some real good inside info intel to move to No. 9 with the Panthers and hope Anthony Richardson is still there as the 4th QB on the board with draft equity gained, IMO. 

From 4, we could conceivably trade down twice and get a future 1 along with more picks for this year.  Then take one of the second tier QBs.   

Or stand pat at 4 and take Will Anderson. 

IMO, I think only EDGE Will Anderson has the potential to be a generational talent.  None of the Qbs are.  Would you take Von Miller and draft a QB not named Mahomes, Allen, Rogers, etc.

Put it this way, would you give up Von Miller just to take a QB that isn't as good as those top elite QBs.  I don't think I would.

Archived