Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Irsay Lets Ballard Stay, Whose to Say He Won't......

philba101

I'm very confident Ballard is going to go the draft route if he's still around. If he's going to make a QB pick to save his GM spot, might as well do it based of what most say he's good at, scouting.

If he isn't here, then the new GM probably would want his chance to pick a franchise QB right away.

The only way I see us getting a veteran would be if we somehow become the trade partner for whatever happens in the Rodgers/Love situation. If that happens, I hope we don't trade our first.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I  believe if Irsay was going to replace Ballard he would have fired him at the same time he fired Reich.  He could easily have elevated Dodds or someone else to finish out the season.  Many fans thought they were joined at the hip.  Apparently not.  I would be surprised if Ballard is gone after the season.  I’m expecting him back.

Had Jim fired Ballard in reality he could have stepped in and been the GM himself. He has wore those shoes before. Not that he was great but would have worked just for the remainder of the season. Imo I think Jim gives Ballard a chance to fix the problems. We can only speculate what the relationships were in the FO. 

16 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Me personally I would probably still draft a QB and get a guy like jimmy for a year or 2 rental depending on which qb we got 

I could be talked into that as most of the QBs coming out need 1-2 years to develop

Jimmy G would at least keep us competitive, while we get the next QB ready

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I could be talked into that as most of the QBs coming out need 1-2 years to develop

Jimmy G would at least keep us competitive, while we get the next QB ready

The more I’m watching the college games I’m leaning towards Levis and Richardson (no change at young) I really think we need to move towards mobile Qb and get a guy here that will play/coach towards their strengths. 

10 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

The more I’m watching the college games I’m leaning towards Levis and Richardson (no change at young) I really think we need to move towards mobile Qb and get a guy here that will play/coach towards their strengths. 

I may be completely wrong, but Levis doesnt light me up

Richardson looks amazing, then looks like a kid that hasnt played the spot before....

IMHO Levis is more of a complete player today, but Richardson has a significantly higher ceiling

Between the 2, Id go Richardson, but that would mean that he is 1-2 years from being ready

We would need Foles (Or Garrapolo) to be the vet for next year until Richardson is ready

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I may be completely wrong, but Levis doesnt light me up

Richardson looks amazing, then looks like a kid that hasnt played the spot before....

IMHO Levis is more of a complete player today, but Richardson has a significantly higher ceiling

Between the 2, Id go Richardson, but that would mean that he is 1-2 years from being ready

We would need Foles (Or Garrapolo) to be the vet for next year until Richardson is ready

I am not going to bash anyone's opinion on here because any of these QB's could be great or bust. I have no idea as the next person. I will say this, I watched Levis at Tennessee and vs Georgia and he looked lousy. Just 2 games but a lot of people were saying how great he was and he looked really bad against elite competition games. To me Young is the best QB in the draft but he is Houston bound IMO. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not going to bash anyone's opinion on here because any of these QB's could be great or bust. I have no idea as the next person. I will say this, I watched Levis at Tennessee and vs Georgia and he looked lousy. Just 2 games but a lot of people were saying how great he was and he looked really bad against elite competition games. To me Young is the best QB in the draft but he is Houston bound IMO. 

I have to agree with you. That is why it is SO HARD to project these guys. You want him to do well against possibly one of the better conferences in the country. But then, Josh Allen was hard to project, so was Patrick Mahomes. Lamar Jackson, if they had not adapted with Greg Roman and John Harbaugh and brought him along as a passer and highlighted what he did best, he would not have had the success. If they tried to make him a pocket passer like RG3 too soon or just a 1 read QB, he would have fizzled right away. 

It is all about the coaching and supporting cast to bring the most out of the tools. Justin Fields - the OC first tried to make him a passer and let him roll out and do boot legs but once they made the most use out of his legs, they got the most out of him.

Levis, he is not that good of a passer from the pocket (right now) and he is not that good of an athlete either, IMO. He does have a gun of an arm and can throw on the run well and throw well into tight windows because of that. But he showed none of that vs Tenn. or Georgia. Hooker was stymied vs Georgia too but he did light up Alabama and did well vs Kentucky too. Levis just gives me Jacob Eason vibes for a floor, and that is scary to think of.

Just now, chad72 said:

I have to agree with you. That is why it is SO HARD to project these guys. You want him to do well against possibly one of the better conferences in the country. But then, Josh Allen was hard to project, so was Patrick Mahomes. Lamar Jackson, if they had not adapted with Greg Roman and John Harbaugh and brought him along as a passer and highlighted what he did best, he would not have had the success. If they tried to make him a pocket passer like RG3 too soon or just a 1 read QB, he would have fizzled right away. 

It is all about the coaching and supporting cast to bring the most out of the tools. Justin Fields - the OC first tried to make him a passer and let him roll out and do boot legs but once they made the most use out of his legs, they got the most out of him.

Levis, he is not that good of a passer from the pocket (right now) and he is not that good of an athlete either, IMO. He does have a gun of an arm and can throw on the run well and throw well into tight windows because of that. But he showed none of that vs Tenn. or Georgia. Hooker was stymied vs Georgia too but he did light up Alabama and did well vs Kentucky too. Levis just gives me Jacob Eason vibes for a floor, and that is scary to think of.

I don't watch much CFB, but I used to and trying to translate a CFB QBs NFL prospects were baffling to say the least.

So the guy wasn't good v. TN and GA, but obviously these two teams are light years more talented than KY, so how good could Levis have played against them with a overwhelming talent deficit is a question that is beyond me and even most people that actually do draft QBs out of CFB for the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't watch much CFB, but I used to and trying to translate a CFB QBs NFL prospects were baffling to say the least.

So the guy wasn't good v. TN and GA, but obviously these two teams are light years more talented than KY, so how good could Levis have played against them with a overwhelming talent deficit is a question that is beyond me and even most people that actually do draft QBs out of CFB for the NFL. 

Leading a WR before a safety gets there vs Georgia with an arm like his is upon the QB. Making a read faster against Ds that play faster is what I was hoping to see. It was clear he wasn't subject to that kind of competition OR wasn't prepared for that kind of competition. That is why it is hard to project. There were throws he made in zone coverage against Georgia where I went "how did he thread that throw in that tight window" and then there were throws where "at least he could have thrown it in the red zone where only his WR had a chance to catch it with no chance for the CB or safety to jump it but he throws it in front to the inside shoulder and the safety jumps it". That range is what has me perplexed.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Leading a WR before a safety gets there vs Georgia with an arm like his is upon the QB. Making a read faster against Ds that play faster is what I was hoping to see. It was clear he wasn't subject to that kind of competition OR wasn't prepared for that kind of competition. That is why it is hard to project. There were throws he made in zone coverage against Georgia where I went "how did he thread that throw in that tight window" and then there were throws where "at least he could have thrown it in the red zone where only his WR had a chance to catch it with no chance for the CB or safety to jump it but he throws it in front to the inside shoulder and the safety jumps it". That range is what has me perplexed.

I didn't see either game, but I just looked up the Game Logs and he was rated very highly in QBR in the GA game and very poorly in the TN game.  QBR is somewhat subjective.

What was surprising to me is he had bad ratings v. some of the bad teams too, but KY usually isn't very competitive in the SEC.  

This kid has apparently no running ability.   Does he move around well in the pocket?

11 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I didn't see either game, but I just looked up the Game Logs and he was rated very highly in QBR in the GA game and very poorly in the TN game.  QBR is somewhat subjective.

What was surprising to me is he had bad ratings v. some of the bad teams too, but KY usually isn't very competitive in the SEC.  

This kid has apparently no running ability.   Does he move around well in the pocket?

Whatever mobility he has is limited to just throwing on the run, his legs aren't fast enough to get us easy yards in the NFL if he breaks loose unless his passing gets good enough that he forces DBs to play with their backs to him. Yeah, 39 yards from Matt Ryan do happen but as frequent as boot leg runs from Brady and Peyton, once in a blue moon.

Traditionalists and purists that are still enamored with the Matt Ryan/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning kinds would probably flock to him. However, I am not one of those. You have to see how the league is evolving and be able to see how you can keep up with the league. If you tell me you can get me a guy like Derek Carr who throws well on the run and is accurate up to 30 yards with a good arm that beats safeties in Round 2 and win with him with key first downs with his legs, I will be the guy who will take it. Max Duggan or Anthony Richardson both could be that guy for Round 2 though Richardson is more raw than Duggan that comes with more production, but with more upside.

Projecting the next Mahomes or Josh Allen is harder than projecting the next Derek Carr with the same level of team support, IMO. But for a franchise starved of QB play and still scarred by the Luck retirement thanks to mismanagement at the top, knee jerk sentiments for swinging for the fences, come hell or high water, seems to be prevalent here. The problem however is NO swings have been taken. So, if you are swinging, might as well swing for the fences is the dominant thought process here.

17 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I would too but theres only two that I really like and we might miss out on them.

I'd be willing to draft Levis in the first but hes far from a sure thing, wouldn't do a big trade for him.

Richardson is a huge risk that could be a total bust, or end up like Hurts.  MCkee is not exciting at all, more like a third rounder that will land as a backup somewhere.  I like hooker but hes coming off a major injury and needs to be more accurate

Some people like Duggan too. I don't see a huge difference on paper between Duggan and Levis. Levis has a slight height/weight advantage, and probably a little stronger arm, whereas Duggan is a little faster.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Whatever mobility he has is limited to just throwing on the run, his legs aren't fast enough to get us easy yards in the NFL if he breaks loose unless his passing gets good enough that he forces DBs to play with their backs to him. Yeah, 39 yards from Matt Ryan do happen but as frequent as boot leg runs from Brady and Peyton, once in a blue moon.

Traditionalists and purists that are still enamored with the Matt Ryan/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning kinds would probably flock to him. However, I am not one of those. You have to see how the league is evolving and be able to see how you can keep up with the league. If you tell me you can get me a guy like Derek Carr who throws well on the run and is accurate up to 30 yards with a good arm that beats safeties in Round 2 and win with him with key first downs with his legs, I will be the guy who will take it. Max Duggan or Anthony Richardson both could be that guy for Round 2 though Richardson is more raw than Duggan that comes with more production, but with more upside.

Projecting the next Mahomes or Josh Allen is harder than projecting the next Derek Carr with the same level of team support, IMO. But for a franchise starved of QB play and still scarred by the Luck retirement thanks to mismanagement at the top, knee jerk sentiments for swinging for the fences, come hell or high water, seems to be prevalent here. The problem however is NO swings have been taken. So, if you are swinging, might as well swing for the fences is the dominant thought process here.

It's strange.  The SB is always won by pocket QBs except for when Mahomes wins it.  And Mahomes is as good as anyone in the pocket.  This guy is the classic pocket guy.  I watched a few vids on him and the love affair has an obvious source.  He has a HOF type arm and his release is efficient.  

No one knows or even has a real good idea on how good this guy will be, but I see why someone might invest very highly in him from just what I watched casually this morning.

That arm is very tempting. 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's strange.  The SB is always won by pocket QBs except for when Mahomes wins it.  And Mahomes is as good as anyone in the pocket.  This guy is the classic pocket guy.  I watched a few vids on him and the love affair has an obvious source.  He has a HOF type arm and his release is efficient.  

No one knows or even has a real good idea on how good this guy will be, but I see why someone might invest very highly in him from just what I watched casually this morning.

That arm is very tempting. 

Yes, he has a live arm. It would take good QB coaching for good decision making to get the most out of that arm. That is why I said it is hard to project because you don't know the guy's work ethic and willingness to put in the work to get better each year. That is why the GMs and scouts get paid the big bucks. :) 

No different than when Jordan Love came out, had a better previous year with better supporting cast. Will Levis was better when the draftable Wandale Robinson was there. Both have a gun of an arm.

Just now, chad72 said:

Yes, he has a live arm. It would take good QB coaching for good decision making to get the most out of that arm. That is why I said it is hard to project because you don't know the guy's work ethic and willingness to put in the work to get better each year. That is why the GMs and scouts get paid the big bucks. :) 

Something weird to me is he had big running games last season including 114 v. LV and 75 v. LSU.  

Wonder if he's not running protecting himself or something?  Any idea?  He had almost 400 yds last year and negative 107 this season. 

Just now, Nickster said:

Something weird to me is he had big running games last season including 114 v. LV and 75 v. LSU.  

Wonder if he's not running protecting himself or something?  Any idea?  He had almost 400 yds last year and negative 107 this season. 

Maybe they were business decisions, lol :) 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

@chad72

How do you watch Levis and conclude that he isn't mobile and can't run?

https://youtu.be/rz-6a4nvU8Q

Like @Nickster and I saw, he ran more in his junior year, I guess. Huge disparity between junior and senior year, maybe it was a business decision, I don't know. He is definitely mobile enough to throw on the run but not sure he is Lamar or Fields or Hurts level mobile to factor into the game planning at the next level.

If that is not the expectation, we just focus on honing his passing with the amazing arm he has.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I recall a guy looking horrible against the Fla. Gators every time he played them. He was drafted by the Colts and ended up as a first ballot hall of famer.

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I recall a guy looking horrible against the Fla. Gators every time he played them. He was drafted by the Colts and ended up as a first ballot hall of famer.

Very valid. He still choked in big games though like he did vs Florida, lol :) 

J/k  :) 

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

True, I could be wrong about him. Like I said, nobody really knows how any of these QB's will be. Young looks like the best but he could be like another Baker or Murray. Draft is a such a crapshoot, just have to guess right.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True, I could be wrong about him. Like I said, nobody really knows how any of these QB's will be. Young looks like the best but he could be like another Baker or Murray. Draft is a such a crapshoot, just have to guess right.

I would say Murray is better than Baker at this point because he uses his legs far better but the downside is, the more he uses them, there is more risk involved. That Cardinals stadium turf grass, claimed another victim yesterday. Just go and look at all the people who have been injured in that stadium lately.

Just now, chad72 said:

I would say Murray is better than Baker at this point because he uses his legs far better but the downside is, the more he uses them, there is more risk involved. That Cardinals stadium turf grass, claimed another victim yesterday. Just go and look at all the people who have been injured in that stadium lately.

I would agree Murray is better than Baker but neither look like a franchise QB that can win a SB.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would agree Murray is better than Baker but neither look like a franchise QB that can win a SB.

Tough division, a coach that is in over his head for the NFL. Put Kyler Murray with John Harbaugh, he will be winning that AFC North division just as well as Lamar Jackson is leading it. Put Kyler Murray with Mike Vrabel, Titans will be vying for AFC #1. There is a reason Eli Manning didn't want to go to the Chargers based on their history then.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

Some people like Duggan too. I don't see a huge difference on paper between Duggan and Levis. Levis has a slight height/weight advantage, and probably a little stronger arm, whereas Duggan is a little faster.

Hes not seen as a first round pick or even close by most analysts.  I have not watched him much myself, draft experts are calling him a day three pick 

Just now, chad72 said:

Tough division, a coach that is in over his head for the NFL. Put Kyler Murray with John Harbaugh, he will be winning that AFC North division as well as Lamar Jackson. Put Kyler Murray with Mike Vrabel, Titans will be vying for AFC #1.

Problem with Murray and Lamar is, they get injured too much. Cincy with Burrow probably takes the North now. 3 weeks ago with a healthy Lamar I thought the Ravens would win the North. Lamar IMO is much better than Murray though. Problem with Tennessee is, Tannehill is just an above average QB, he looks good at times but come playoff time does anyone really think he is going to lead a team to a SB? He needs an all-time great defense to do that like the 2000 Ravens had or a 1985 Bears, 2002 Bucs had. 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Hes not seen as a first round pick or even close by most analysts.  I have not watched him much myself, draft experts are calling him a day three pick 

It is strange because when I watch Duggan play and Levis play, Duggan looks like the better QB. His accuracy is just as good if not better and he is much faster. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is strange because when I watch Duggan play and Levis play, Duggan looks like the better QB. His accuracy is just as good if not better and he is much faster. 

Where the NFL projection will matter is when the windows get tighter, Levis' arm will get it done while Duggan will need a little more help from his pass catchers on the separation. That reflects in the evaluation and rightfully so. I love Duggan too, but like a Round 2 Derek Carr type of QB, that you can still win with. Levis, if he improves on the trajectory like even a big armed Jay Cutler with the right QB tutelage did, can achieve his potential if his head and work ethic are right.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Like @Nickster and I saw, he ran more in his junior year, I guess. Huge disparity between junior and senior year, maybe it was a business decision, I don't know. He is definitely mobile enough to throw on the run but not sure he is Lamar or Fields or Hurts level mobile to factor into the game planning at the next level.

If that is not the expectation, we just focus on honing his passing with the amazing arm he has.

He was hurt most of the season, I think it was a shoulder injury and a foot injury. That probably influenced play calling and his decisions with the ball. 

He's not Lamar. He'll probably run as fast as Hurts did at the Combine. Fields is probably faster and has more wiggle in the open field, but interestingly, my initial comp for Levis is Fields. Similar body type, similar arm strength (Levis probably has more zip, but deep ball ability is the same), footwork in the pocket, compact throwing motion (Fields has a more complete motion), ability to maintain balance through contact, even the way they go through progressions looks the same to me. We'll see how Levis does at the Combine, but I think he'll test better than Josh Allen, which is his most common comp.

I have no question he's athletic enough for his running to be a weapon in the NFL, and it should be part of the weekly gameplan for sure. My questions about him are his mechanics -- he falls away a lot, usually for no reason, and it undermines his accuracy. Also his ability to process and go through progressions quickly, particularly against NFL defenses. I have no issues with his athleticism, he'll be fine there IMO.

19 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The Colts Timeline regarding the QB Situation - since this continues to come up over and over and over again......

August 24, 2019 Andrew Luck retired suddenly during the last preseason game AFTER both the draft and Free Agency window. Suffice to say that had he done things sooner and notified the Colts, then the Colts (and GM Chris Ballard) would have selected Josh Allen instead of Quinton Nelson the year before. Problem solved and we’d be beating other dead horses instead of this one. Be that as it may, here is an appropriate timeline that most of you Monday Morning GM’s can follow to see how much of an opportunity Ballard has had to address the QB situation.

2019 COLTS Starting QB: Jacoby Brissett (7-9)

2020 NFL Free Agent Market for QB’s

Drew Brees – Re-signed by Saints

Tom Brady – Signed with Bucs

Cam Newton – Signed with Pats

Dak Prescott – Franchise Tagged

Ryan Tannehill – Re-signed by Titans

Phillip Rivers – Signed by Colts

Teddy Bridgewater – Signed with Panthers

Jameis Winston – Signed with Saints

Taysom Hill – Re-signed by Saints

Marcus Mariota – Signed with Raiders

Joe Flacco – Signed with Jets

2020 QB Trades

Nick Foles from Jags to Bears

Kyle Allen from Panthers to Commanders

2020 NFL Draft – QB’s

Joe Burrow – Number 1

Tua Tagovailoa – Number 5

Justin Herbert – Number 6

Jordan Love – Number 26 (Could have had - most didn't like him on this board)

COLTS SELECT Michael Pittman Jr. at Number 34

COLTS SELECT Jonathan Taylor at Number 41

Jalen Hurts – Number 53 (Could have had - most didn't like him on this board)

2020 COLTS Starting QB: Phillip Rivers (11-5)

2021 NFL Free Agent Market for QB’s

Dak Prescott – Re-signed with Cowboys

Jameis Winston – Re-signed by Saints

Mitchell Trubisky – Signed with Bills

2021 QB Trades

Matthew Stafford from the Lions to the Rams for Jared Goff and picks

Carson Wentz from the Eagles to the COLTS for picks

Teddy Bridgewater from Panthers to Broncos

Sam Darnold from Jets to Panthers

Gardner Minshew from Jags to Eagles

Joe Flacco from Eagles to Jets

2021 NFL Draft – QB’s

Trevor Lawrence – Number 1

Zach Wilson – Number 2

Trey Lance – Number 3

Justin Fields – Number 11

Mac Jones – Number 15

COLTS SELECT Kwity Paye at Number 21

COLTS SELECT Dayo Odeyingbo at Number 54

Davis Mills – Number 67 (Could have had)

2021 COLTS Starting QB: Carson Wentz (9-8)

2022 NFL Free Agent Market for QB’s

Jameis Winston – Re-signed by Saints

Teddy Bridgewater – Signed with Broncos

Marcus Mariota – Signed with Falcons

Mitch Trubisky – Signed with Steelers

2022 QB Trades

Matt Ryan from Falcons to COLTS

Deshaun Watson from Texans to Browns

Case Keenum from Browns to Bills

Carson Wentz from COLTS to Commanders

Drew Lock from Broncos to Seahawks

Russell Wilson from Seahawks to Broncos

Jarrett Stidham from Patriots to Raiders

Baker Mayfield from Browns to Panthers

Nick Mullens from Raiders to Vikings

2022 NFL Draft – QB’s

Kenny Pickett – Number 20

COLTS SELECT Alec Pierce at Number 53

COLTS SELECT Jelani Woods at 73

Desmond Ritter – Number 74 (Could have had)

COLTS SELECT Bernhard Raimann at Number 77

Malik Willis – Number 86 (Could have had)

Matt Corral – Number 94 (Could have had)

COLTS SELECT Nick Cross at Number 96

Bailey Zappe – Number 137 (Could have had)

2022 COLTS Starting QB: Matt Ryan

Now look at the list of QB’s above from the time Andrew Luck unceremoniously retired and REALISTICALLY explain what you would have done differently than Chris Ballard given the options presented. Because the way I see it, Brady was never going to sign with the Colts. Stafford was not going to get traded to the Colts when the new regime in Detroit came from the Rams and drafted Goff there. Wilson was not coming to the Colts. And this message board was adamant in saying they didn’t want Darnold, Mayfield, Winston, Mariota and Trubisky. Most also did not want Love or Hurts in the draft either – which realistically was our only true shot at a young potential franchise QB in the draft – oh yeah, and maybe Ridder. We passed over Ridder though even after going to Cincy to work him and Alec Pierce out.

Carson Wentz and Phillip Rivers were Frank Reichs choices at QB. Matt Ryan was the only obvious choice at improving the QB play in the short term as the 2022 draft was devoid of QB talent – and most folks on here were onboard with that choice ‘as a bridge’ to the future.

So again, please help me understand why you all bash Ballard so much when he is so highly regarded within the industry professionals? He drafts well. He is shrewd with his FA signings. He signs good UDFA’s. Sure you don’t like that he doesn’t sign huge free agent ‘names’ but it takes two to tango and most of them go sign in big markets, not Nap City…..

As far as the OP's list goes.......Lamar will get tagged and nobody on there is a Franchise QB. There are a couple "bridge" QB's on that list, but we already picked up the tab on Matt Ryan for next year as well.....which shouldn't factor into the decision, but it will at some point.

This narrative that Ballard couldn't have done anything differently is something that gets brought up a lot as well.

But then you say most of those QBs weren't even his choices, which would imply that Ballard actually did have other choices he could make...or at least ones he wanted to make. Otherwise, that context is meaningless, right?

He's the #1 in this org (after Irsay of course). And not only does he lack the ability to overcome market conditions, but he wasn't even making the big calls.

Those are just excuses at the end of the day. 

In the three offseasons and drafts that have followed, Ballard drafted two Day 3 QBs. They burnt a mid-1st on a reclamation project in lieu of drafting a QB. They have spent $120M as well. 

All of those moves with nothing to show for it. The entire QB process and philosophy has been questionable at best. And there is no track record for Ballard having success drafting a QB, which has continued in Indy as well. 

But it goes beyond NOT drafting a QB too. This team is a 4-8-1 record in his 6th year as GM, after only winning 9 last season. It's a bad downward trend. And there is currently no plan in place to fix it, outside of maybe getting around to doing the same thing they haven't done in 3 years.

This isn't me "bashing" Ballard...it's me being objective. This team needs a new direction.

Just now, Superman said:

I have no question he's athletic enough for his running to be a weapon in the NFL, and it should be part of the weekly gameplan for sure. My questions about him are his mechanics -- he falls away a lot, usually for no reason, and it undermines his accuracy. Also his ability to process and go through progressions quickly, particularly against NFL defenses. I have no issues with his athleticism, he'll be fine there IMO.

This is my biggest pause too. If you can throw well on the run and not necessarily have "wow" run plays in the NFL as a QB, that is totally fine by me. Where you make a living is between your ears consistently.

If Will Levis is good enough for a Top 3 pick, then if the Texans get Will Levis at No.1, I am sure most of the fans here will be very very upset. It is the "Ohio State" or "Alabama" QB history plus Bryce Young size concerns that is constantly nagging in the back of minds of all fans that gives them pause on Stroud and Young. :) 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep. I was all about Zach Wilson a couple years back. I got enamored with the physical tools. But it just doesn't look like he has it. 

That's why the coaching hire will be so important. I am not totally against a defensive-minded hire because there are some really good options out there. But I would really prefer to have a HC who can help develop a QB. Also, it would prevent a lot of the turnover you typically see with successful offenses that have a defensive-minded HC.

Just seems like a rookie QB and new offensive-minded HC package makes the most sense.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Will Levis is good enough for a Top 3 pick, then if the Texans get Will Levis at No.1, I am sure most of the fans here will be very very upset. It is the "Alabama" or "Ohio State" QB history plus Bryce Young size concerns that is constantly nagging in the back of minds of all fans that gives them pause on Stroud and Young. :) 

Levis could end up being great but then again he could end up like another Kentucky QB - his name was Mr Couch lmao . Remember that can't miss and he was great in college. Couch's stats in 1998 at KY were great and by the eye test he even looked great.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Yep. I was all about Zach Wilson a couple years back. I got enamored with the physical tools. But it just doesn't look like he has it. 

That's why the coaching hire will be so important. I am not totally against a defensive-minded hire because there are some really good options out there. But I would really prefer to have a HC who can help develop a QB. Also, it would prevent a lot of the turnover you typically see with successful offenses that have a defensive-minded HC.

Just seems like a rookie QB and new offensive-minded HC package makes the most sense.

Yep, get Mike Kafka and pair him up with Will Levis and go from there.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Levis could end up being great but then again he could end up like another Kentucky - his name was Mr Couch lmao . Remember that can't miss and he was great in college. Couch's stats in 1998 at KY were great and by the eye test he even looked great.

Yeah, like mutual funds, past performance is not indicative of future performance. So, if I had a chance to draft Bryce Young or Stroud, I wouldn't lose sleep over it and pull the trigger.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Will Levis is good enough for a Top 3 pick, then if the Texans get Will Levis at No.1, I am sure most of the fans here will be very very upset. It is the "Ohio State" or "Alabama" QB history plus Bryce Young size concerns that is constantly nagging in the back of minds of all fans that gives them pause on Stroud and Young. :) 

If HOU takes Levis at 1, I will drive over to Lexington and give him a ride to the airport. Ending up with Young or Stroud would be great.

Archived