Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Irsay Lets Ballard Stay, Whose to Say He Won't......

philba101

7 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

Ryan can go kick rocks.

I would have fired them all after that.

If you think we are really QB away from making a noise in the league then sure we should use our draft picks to make  a move to land big QB either thru draft or trade. Unfortunately I dont think we are only QB away since the way this OL did this season we need some pieces there. We are missing some pieces in D to create rush the pass. We need solid WR. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

Josh Allen type is what I think fits the Indy mold to me. Built like a tank with a massive arm. I am so tired of weak armed QB's out side of Wentz it seems like its been forever since we have had a QB that could drive it down the field.

Jacoby was a big armed QB.  He could make all the throws, he just, . . . Well. . . doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I'm aware of what Ryan used to be. And I loved the signing but he has not protected the ball at all. And defenses have nothing to worry about with him in the game and that makes it even tougher on JT. I know it not all on any single player but so of the things Ryan is doing is nerve wrecking.

Ryan turning the ball over a lot is the one thing that has shocked me. I didn't expect that at all.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I say that because he played in the era of Favre and Aikman in their primes and most people, even in the media just always talked about them more. 

Huh.  That's not the way I remember it.  He didn't become a full time starter until he was 31 except for his 2nd year in TB, He was MVP twice and All Pro every year he started except the last year.  Once he took over for Montana, I don't think any player was any more hyped than him. 

Aikman on the other hand was never AP, and 5th was the highest he ever rated in MVP. 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Huh.  That's not the way I remember it.  He didn't become a full time starter until he was 31 except for his 2nd year in TB, He was MVP twice and All Pro every year he started except the last year.  Once he took over for Montana, I don't think any player was any more hyped than him. 

Aikman on the other hand was never AP, and 5th was the highest he ever rated in MVP. 

You just made my point. Think for a second. That is why I said Young is underrated, that is the question you asked me = why do you think he was underrated. When Young, Favre, and Aikman were battling for SB's, Young seemed to be the one the media talked less about. That is why I said Young is underrated. Young was better than both in 1992 and in 1994, he won MVP but many still thought Favre and Aikman were better.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For me it’s how Ryan is a 15 year vet and doesn’t even recognize a blitz or how to get guys in the right spots. That goes hand in hand with protection issues and turning it over.

or could it be he recognizes it but our Line is so bad he gets sacked within 2 to 3 seconds or hurried. Or the fact Taylor has went from being Barry Sanders to an old looking Frank Gore over night. Have you seen how many times Ryan has called out of a pass play to give the ball to Taylor and Taylor gets like 2 yards or he even fumbles? Look at the whole picture

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You just made my point. Think for a second. That is why I said Young is underrated, that is the question you asked me = why do you think he was underrated. When Young, Favre, and Aikman were battling for SB's, Young seemed to be the one the media talked less about. That is why I said Young is underrated. Young was better than both in 1992 and in 1994, he won MVP but many still thought Favre and Aikman were better.

Hmm.  I just don't remember Young that way.   I thought he was always rated really high once he took over for SF.  

I thought he got a ton of media praise even before he became the starter.   No big deal, I just found that idea that Young was underrated curious.  I thought he was rated as one of if not the best player in the NFL during his 30s when he finally took over an NFL team. 

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Hmm.  I just don't remember Young that way.   I thought he was always rated really high once he took over for SF.  

I thought he got a ton of media praise even before he became the starter.   No big deal, I just found that idea that Young was underrated curious.  I thought he was rated as one of if not the best player in the NFL during his 30s when he finally took over an NFL team. 

Look at any all-time list and Young isn't even in the top 12. I have him around 10-12. That was my other point. Young was always known as a great QB but could never be Joe the media said. Once he won it all in 1994 he got his props but many still were focused on Favre and Aikman because they were younger. Easy concept really as I seen it week to week.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For me it’s how Ryan is a 15 year vet and doesn’t even recognize a blitz or how to get guys in the right spots. That goes hand in hand with protection issues and turning it over.

I see this take all over the place and I think its crazy that people actually think that a 15 year vet of Matt Ryans caliber doesn't recognize blitzes. As if he just forgot or went his whole hall of fame career without doing it.

Its the Oline's trash play thats the main problem. I do agree Ryan is washed, I was one of the very few who said it when the trade happened. He looked washed the last 2 years in ATL.

However to assume he doesn't know how to read a defense is just asinine. When the Oline is as bad as ours has been is doesn't matter what he changes the play too or where he puts players. If nobody blocks its the same result.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

or could it be he recognizes it but our Line is so bad he gets sacked within 2 to 3 seconds or hurried. Or the fact Taylor has went from being Barry Sanders to an old looking Frank Gore over night. Have you seen how many times Ryan has called out of a pass play to give the ball to Taylor and Taylor gets like 2 yards or he even fumbles? Look at the whole picture

Our QB and line is why Taylor looks bad. Defenses are not afraid of Ryan and just stack the box waiting for a scripted run play. Taylor needs a QB that other teams respect. Has Ryan really even made teams pay for the all out blitz yet? How many single high looks do teams give us, its absolutely crazy. I know the line has to hold up. Brady and Manning among other feasted on teams blitzing.

2 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

Our QB and line is why Taylor looks bad. Defenses are not afraid of Ryan and just stack the box waiting for a scripted run play. Taylor needs a QB that other teams respect. Has Ryan really even made teams pay for the all out blitz yet? How many single high looks do teams give us, its absolutely crazy. I know the line has to hold up. Brady and Manning among other feasted on teams blitzing.

What is strange is against the Jags (2nd game) Ryan did and Taylor was out that game. This team maybe has no chemistry.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Look at any all-time list and Young isn't even in the top 12. I have him around 10-12. That was my other point. Young was always known as a great QB but could never be Joe the media said. Once he won it all in 1994 he got his props but many still were focused on Favre and Aikman because they were younger. Easy concept really as I seen it week to week.

Yeah, you and I just have different recollections of Young. 

As far as Top 10-12 that's probably because he only started 7 seasons.  

I looked up a couple lists of best QBs and Young is around 15 on a couple below guys like otto Graham, Sid Luckman, Unitas, but pooled right there with Aikman and Favre.   

9 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I see this take all over the place and I think its crazy that people actually think that a 15 year vet of Matt Ryans caliber doesn't recognize blitzes. As if he just forgot or went his whole hall of fame career without doing it.

Its the Oline's trash play thats the main problem. I do agree Ryan is washed, I was one of the very few who said it when the trade happened. He looked washed the last 2 years in ATL.

However to assume he doesn't know how to read a defense is just asinine. When the Oline is as bad as ours has been is doesn't matter what he changes the play too or where he puts players. If nobody blocks its the same result.

Something's wrong, though. The number of unblocked rushers this season has been outrageous. Is it Ryan's calls, Kelly's checks, poor practice habits and film sessions, play calling failure, just bad blocking up front? Or is it a little of all of that? It's probably all of the above, but Ryan is definitely part of it.

8 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I just noticed the Colts elevated Kalinic from the practice squad and waived Coutee.  He's an excellent blocking TE whom we will see a lot of down the stretch being a lead blocker for JT.  He was very efficient when he was promoted the earlier three times and now it's permanent.  We will definitely be riding JT the rest of the way.  That should help Ryan finish out the season if we can get the run game going. 

The QB always gets the blame in most cases (easy out) but what does everyone think of Taylor this year? To me he has been really disappointing. Either injured and even when healthy just average. He has had 2 great games = Texans and Raiders, we got a tie and a win in those games. I am not defending Matt Ryan here but I bet when he came here he thought he was getting Barry Sanders and the Hogs up front chuckling homer simpson GIF- more like Old Frank Gore and puppies up front rolling around on their bellies.

21 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Proof is in the pudding. It’s very clear. It’s blitzes that are killing them.

Just now, Superman said:

Something's wrong, though. The number of unblocked rushers this season has been outrageous. Is it Ryan's calls, Kelly's checks, poor practice habits and film sessions, play calling failure, just bad blocking up front? Or is it a little of all of that? It's probably all of the above, but Ryan is definitely part of it.

There should be a stat that is something like free rushers allowed.  Is there anything like that that you know of Supe?

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The QB always gets the blame in most cases (easy out) but what does everyone think of Taylor this year? To me he has been really disappointing. Either injured and even when healthy just average. He has had 2 great games = Texans and Raiders, we got a tie and a win in those games. I am not defending Matt Ryan here but I bet when he came here he thought he was getting Barry Sanders and the Hogs up front chuckling homer simpson GIF- more like Old Frank Gore and puppies up front rolling around on their bellies.

Warning.  Criticism of Taylor's game and limitations can get you cut around here.

My ideas about Taylor remain that he's a homerun hitting RB between the tackles  that relies on OLINE and downfield blocking more than other great backs.  I think Doyle and Pascal's departures have really hurt JT when our line does block the LOS because those guys helped JT reach the 2nd and 3rd levels where he is great.  

There is nothing special about JT at the LOS IMO.  

JT even last year had a high percentage of stuffed runs.  This year he hasn't got those multiple long runs that he had last year that negate a lot of those stuffed runs.  

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not that I know of. I'll check Sharp's site but I haven't seen it before.

I'd really like to know how we stack up there.  Earlier it seemed like we gave up a ton of those, but I haven't noticed it as much lately though I will say I haven't been watching as intensely and haven't rewatched any film in some time. 

A lot of times I remember free rushers coming even when they were picked up by a lineman lol, especically Pryor.  He'd be there several times and guys would juke him unblocked. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Maybe they were business decisions, lol :) 

He's been injured almost all season long. Don't remember if it was ankle or foot injury or turf toe or something, but this year he's not been healthy. He is a great athlete when healthy. He's almost at the Richardson level IMO. 

We are more than a QB away from being a force of any kind.  We have proven a lack of ability to beat the Titans or the Jags.  Shoot, even the Texans are not a given for us.  

What I believe is a large part of our problem is this:  Ballard.  He said from jump street he was going to build through the draft, sign our own and supplement with “Locker Room” guys.  

What’s the results?  Our All-Pro paid line plays like the Saint Augustine School of the Deaf and Blind, we cannot evaluate and bring in a QB of any consequence, and there is a perceived locker room issue (uninspired play means lack of desire, motivation and leadership).  

What’s the answer?  I don’t know.  WAAAAAY above my pay grade.  I do believe we draft a QB, surround them with some protectors who have a killer mean streak and find a speedy, inside WR with twitch.  Our D has top 5-6 potential but could use some help on the Edge and Secondary.  

All IMHO

56 minutes ago, Superman said:

IMO it's something about communication and delegation of responsibilities for picking up specific blitzes. We are especially trash in that specific aspect. I don't know whose responsibility is to identify them, Are they overcomplicating and giving the task to too many people in different situations? Is their process of communication sound? Does everybody know their responsibilities? 

There is something really fishy with it, indeed. It doesn't look normal and even though in previous years we've had problems with pass-protection they never were quite this bad and bad in quite this way. IMO whoever is responsible on the specific day, ultimately it has to come down to the OL coach who is responsible for drilling this into the offense. Strausser has to take some responsibility here IMO. He's had enough time to identify whatever the source of the problems is and try to fix it. It's just not normal an OL with 3 pro-bowlers and vet QB who is supposedly great processor of the game to be this bad at setting protections and executing. 

2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am glad someone brought up Hendon Hooker.  Most likely out for the 2023 season but he could  end up being  a steal in the second or 3rd round.  

He might not even miss the year. The start of the season would be about 10 months after his injury. With just slightly above average recovery he might even be ready for part or most of training camp. 

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO it's something about communication and delegation of responsibilities for picking up specific blitzes. We are especially trash in that specific aspect. I don't know whose responsibility is to identify them, Are they overcomplicating and giving the task to too many people in different situations? Is their process of communication sound? Does everybody know their responsibilities? 

There is something really fishy with it, indeed. It doesn't look normal and even though in previous years we've had problems with pass-protection they never were quite this bad and bad in quite this way. IMO whoever is responsible on the specific day, ultimately it has to come down to the OL coach who is responsible for drilling this into the offense. Strausser has to take some responsibility here IMO. He's had enough time to identify whatever the source of the problems is and try to fix it. It's just not normal an OL with 3 pro-bowlers and vet QB who is supposedly great processor of the game to be this bad at setting protections and executing. 

Maybe it can’t be fixed. In my opinion if it wasn’t able to be fixed its probably something that isn’t fixable. Which means it is a IQ thing if the QB or center.  Maybe Ryan isn’t as good at processing as people thought.  

The 5 oline guys getting bulled over has mostly been fixed. There are still lapses but that happens with every team. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

He might not even miss the year. The start of the season would be about 10 months after his injury. With just slightly above average recovery he might even be ready for part or most of training camp. 

There is probably something to be said about his age too and playing against young men that are a few years younger. He may have already reached his ceiling. I have not watched anything on him yet so don’t really have a opinion on that but it’s just things I have heard people say.

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is probably something to be said about his age too and playing against young men that are a few years younger. He may have already reached his ceiling. I have not watched anything on him yet so don’t really have a opinion on that but it’s just things I have heard people say.

If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been a Heisman finalist and maybe the 1st pick in this yrs draft 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Yah your right its probably a little bit of everything you listed. I definitely wouldn't go as far as to say Ryan can't read defenses though. QB's who can't read defenses don't last in this league. I think maybe its his unfamiliarity with the scheme and the Oline that is causing him some problems. But I definitely think the scheme and the Oline themselves is the bigger issue. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Top 10 yes, 1st pick probably not.

I said MAYBE.  Just like some are saying Levis MAYBE the 1st pick.    The kid is good and if he can be drafted in round 2 after taking a LT or WR in round 1 I would run to turn in that pick if I were Ballard 

5 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I said MAYBE.  Just like some are saying Levis MAYBE the 1st pick.    The kid is good and if he can be drafted in round 2 after taking a LT or WR in round 1 I would run to turn in that pick if I were Ballard 

I am thinking we may go defense if we don't go QB in Round 1, especially if Raimann comes along well. Let us see how the next 4 games go.

Archived