Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fired Colts stadium announcer sells 2006 SB and 2009 AFCCG winner rings

chad72

Brackett’s rings sold for $10,000 (the AFC 2009) and $60000 for the SuperBowl ring. That being said it was a number of years ago so the value has probably increased a bit…but these rings don’t belong to a player so maybe there is some value loss because of that. 

I’d love to have both. But not for that much!

14 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Brackett’s rings sold for $10,000 (the AFC 2009) and $60000 for the SuperBowl ring. That being said it was a number of years ago so the value has probably increased a bit…but these rings don’t belong to a player so maybe there is some value loss because of that. 

I’d love to have both. But not for that much!

How much would you pay?

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was never that huge of a Lamey fan. I definitely like the current one better

Lamey was a local 

announcer for the Pacers for 7 or 8 years before becoming the voice of the Colts when they moved here. He also announced 2 hockey teams and was a turn reporter for the Indy 500. Not to mention he was the sports director for WIBC. You may not have been a fan but he had enough to make him legendary.  

Imo, Bob Lamey is one of the greatest radio play by play announcers of all-time. When I was a kid I actually got a chance to meet him, great guy. I used to want to be like him when he was doing Pacers games. The guy we got now doing Colts games is good but not on Bob's level. Bob brought emotion to the game. 

Regarding our PA announcer, I didn't even realize that he had been fired. At home games I can't even tell a difference between the new guy and Mike. 

I would be OK with selling the 2009 AFC Championship ring if someone wanted to give me 10000 for it. No way would I sell a SB Championship ring of 2006. That is priceless.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was never that huge of a Lamey fan. I definitely like the current one better

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Lamey was a local 

announcer for the Pacers for 7 or 8 years before becoming the voice of the Colts when they moved here. He also announced 2 hockey teams and was a turn reporter for the Indy 500. Not to mention he was the sports director for WIBC. You may not have been a fan but he had enough to make him legendary.  

It’s not Bob . Who yes, was wrongly done in my opinion. 

not sure what’s up with Jensen, there’s gotta be more to this story other than his lost his voice midway thru a game…

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

It’s not Bob . Who yes, was wrongly done in my opinion. 

not sure what’s up with Jensen, there’s gotta be more to this story other than his lost his voice midway thru a game…

I didn't even know Jansen got fired. I wonder what he did? I haven't noticed the PA being much different, just little things. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Imo, Bob Lamey is one of the greatest radio play by play announcers of all-time. When I was a kid I actually got a chance to meet him, great guy. I used to want to be like him when he was doing Pacers games. The guy we got now doing Colts games is good but not on Bob's level. Bob brought emotion to the game. 

Regarding our PA announcer, I didn't even realize that he had been fired. At home games I can't even tell a difference between the new guy and Mike. 

I would be OK with selling the 2009 AFC Championship ring if someone wanted to give me 10000 for it. No way would I sell a SB Championship ring of 2006. That is priceless.

I'd probably sell them both if the market was up for them.  

24 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

The SB ring would be cool to own in theory but only way I’d dish out that sort of money would be if I was more than wealthy 

For sure…I’m not wealthy, but I could do it if I felt I could make money from the deal later on. Cool to own a piece of history for awhile then sell it for a profit 

Sad that he seems so bitter. I think a lot of people take for granted the positive things in life and only remember the bad stuff. Yes he was fired abruptly and I’m sure that hurts, but by selling that ring to get rid of that memory he’s also getting rid of all of the positive memories, ones that he should still cherish. If I was with the Colts for that long and had that much of an impact, I would just feel grateful for all of the positive times. Oh well, sad that he thinks of the ring as only a negative.

On 11/19/2022 at 4:02 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Lamey was a local 

Ok. Not disagreeing w any of that. Don’t mean I have to like him or his legendary status. Is that a problem?

8 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Sad that he seems so bitter. I think a lot of people take for granted the positive things in life and only remember the bad stuff. Yes he was fired abruptly and I’m sure that hurts, but by selling that ring to get rid of that memory he’s also getting rid of all of the positive memories, ones that he should still cherish. If I was with the Colts for that long and had that much of an impact, I would just feel grateful for all of the positive times. Oh well, sad that he thinks of the ring as only a negative.

Until you walk in his shoes, those good memories become bitter, as all you sacrificed to do a great job was negated. People work and do things all their lives to go out on their terms. I get it as it happened to me. 

5 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

25 years and no explanation for why you are being shown the door? I dont blame the guy. That is 

This happens all over the country every day.  It's called reality. Right or wrong he can use his experience to find another job, or not. Use it as a spring board or use it as a gutter. 

8 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

do we know why he was let go? 

No one is saying why. I think it came down to money, honestly. JJ. Stankovitz took his place and does the announcing exactly the same way Jansen did. But JJ already worked for the Colts as a writer and did other things for the Colts. Jansen only had the announcing job. I wonder how much Jansen was making. The Colts probably figured they could give JJ the announcing job and save money by firing Jansen. 

I know Irsay is rich and the team is making money, but billionaires are cheap!

15 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Until you walk in his shoes, those good memories become bitter, as all you sacrificed to do a great job was negated. People work and do things all their lives to go out on their terms. I get it as it happened to me. 

I guess it comes down to perspective on life. I can 100% understand the negative emotions, it’s just not what I would choose to focus on. I spent too many years focused on negatives, I’ve found that focusing on the positives, while not always the most realistic way to look at things, overall has made me happier. But I understand that it is completely different for everyone. I hope either way he moves on and finds a new job that makes him happy.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, King Colt said:

What was he doing wrong to get fired after 24 years??

Who knows.  We aren't being told. And maybe it's something he would even rather not become public.  People do things at work all of the time that are questionable and get them fired.  Or maybe something unjust and outside his control.  We probably won't know.

He can be bitter or appreciate the long employment and great memories.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bracket played in a time when players weren't paid what they are today.  Maybe Gary needed the money? His restaurant businesses went bankrupt due to the pandemic.  So really? 

Yep.   At my age, 59, I am starting to contemplate selling some things I have held onto.   I have stuff in my house worth money that I just hold onto.  heck, I have a 17 million year old Megladon tooth which is pretty cool and worth around $1000.  

Archived