Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HC candidates for next year

jonjon

42 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There are only 32 jobs as a HC in the NFL.   Getting a highly sought after candidate won't be difficult.   Good lord

I won’t be difficult to get A coach.  I’m not sure it will be easy to get a GOOD coach. 
I think this year has been bad for the brand. 

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ask yourself this. What top end coach is going to want to come to a team with a meddlesome owner? Coaches care bout that. Colts will be scraping the barrel. 

Oh please. Irsay is not "meddlesome." He has stepped in when he felt he needed to and I agree that he needed to. He does not have a history of being meddlesome at all. 

4 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Is he though? Impossible?

Everything I've heard says yes. Not only is Michigan doing so much better, but he's mellowed some with age and has grown ever more comfortable there. You don't see him ranting on the sidelines nearly like he used to. Impossible? Winning the lottery isn't impossible either, but I wouldn't put up my nest egg on tickets to win it. 

I remember Kush. No saint, but a tough, no-nonsense guy and just what the Colts needed at the time after being mired in nowheresville in the post-Bert Jones era. Unfortunately, horseface Elway declined to play for us or he could have coached us on to great things. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Steichen is a coach who has had great success working with young QBs in the last few years and raising their level to being some of the best in the league. If he's available, he'd be one of my favorite options. 

There is some bizarre symmetry to the Colts hiring the OC of the team who hired their OC to be HC.

Kafka is another good option as well.

Assuming Saturday is in the FO (which is my guess), he is the de facto boss, so I could definitely see them going for a younger HC option like that. 

I like Shane Steichen or Mike Kafka. Unsure about Eric Bieniemy, as there are some red flags surrounding his name. There has to be reasons why he was never chosen for another coaching job: bad interviews. doesn't work well with others, etc. I have no idea, but would be cautious suggesting him. 

Peyton Manning for HC is a pipe dream, and I doubt Jim Harbaugh wants to leave college coaching. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Where did you see that Frank was making $9m per?    That would translate to $54 mill.   6 years at $9m = $54. 

I don’t see Irsay signing a HC to such a contract based on two playoff appearances and one playoff win.   

Do you have a link?  

Frank is making 9 million a year and runs through 2026.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Someone else also made that claim.   I’m trying to find the source of the info.   Do you have a link?    I’d like to read that. 

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/nfl/frank-reich-fired-colts-news-nfl-odds-bm06/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/highest-paid-coaches-nfl-2021-215417798.html

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Someone else also made that claim.   I’m trying to find the source of the info.   Do you have a link?    I’d like to read that. 

To be fair though those are numbers that don't have to be released to the public so it's anyone's guess.

I saw things that said he only makes $4.5m also...

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

To be fair though that's numbers that doesn't have to be released to the public so it's anyone's guess.

I saw things that said he only makes $4.5m also...

I saw the 4.5M figure too. 

Also, worth to mentioning... Pagano was fired after extended too lol.. 

Lesson - don't extend early... Like Reich, and JB... 

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thanks for this.   As a media guy,  I don’t think Betmgm is a legit source.   I do think NBC Sports is legit,  but if you looked at the names just below Frank there are a number of really big names and it’s very hard to believe that Frank was making more than them.  

The $4.5 figure sounds like his number on his first contract.   But doubling to $9m on the second deal seems way way too big a jump.   Again, some really good coaches with more success than Frank are listed below him.

If I had to guess, I’d say $7-8m is a reasonable range.   But $9?    That’s a very rich neighborhood.    If you play the game “which name doesn’t belong in this group?” I think Frank is the one who doesn’t belong in that tier.

Again, thanks for finding these.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for this.   As a media guy,  I don’t think Betmgm is a legit source.   I do think NBC Sports is legit,  but if you looked at the names just below Frank there are a number of really big names and it’s very hard to believe that Frank was making more than them.  

The $4.5 figure sounds like his number on his first contract.   But doubling to $9m on the second deal seems way way too big a jump.   Again, some really good coaches with more success than Frank are listed below him.

If I had to guess, I’d say $7-8m is a reasonable range.   But $9?    That’s a very rich neighborhood.    If you play the game “which name doesn’t belong in this group?” I think Frank is the one who doesn’t belong in that tier.

Yeah I don't trust any of them, but found couple links that had it.

I could see $9m, I've seen/heard people say Belichick makes $20-$25m a season.

No cap on how much you can pay them. I imagine $8-$12m being a good medium?

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just for comparison IIRC in 2018 Raiders signed Jon Gruden to a 10 year $100 million deal and that was considered among the very top of what coaches make. Not just in terms of the length of the contract but a salary per year basis.

So if $10 million a year was high in 2018 I think your $7-8m range is probably fair for Reich after his extension. Maybe even a little less than that.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah I don't trust any of them, but found couple links that had it.

I could see $9m, I've seen/heard people say Belichick makes $20-$25m a season.

No cap on how much you can pay them. I imagine $8-$12m being a good medium?

Never heard/read that BB is in the $20-25 range.  FWIW,  recently I saw stories saying Sean Peyton might be offered $25m to get back into coaching.   And I think those stories referenced BB in the $12m range.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Never heard/read that BB is in the $20-25 range.  FWIW,  recently I saw stories saying Sean Peyton might be offered $25m to get back into coaching.   And I think those stories referenced BB in the $12m range.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-how-much-does-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-make-year%3famp

Just now, jvan1973 said:

The Colts are not a team that historically  that meets that definition.    

It doesn't take much time for a team to go from the top of the hill to the bottom. Contrary  to what people believe, this team has been mediocre for years and now it had hit rock bottom. That's not debatable as I am basing that trajectory on wins and losses. However, there is a hope as the opposite can also happen. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It doesn't take much time for a team to go from the top of the hill to the bottom. Contrary  to what people believe, this team has been mediocre for years and now it had hit rock bottom. That's not debatable as I am basing that trajectory on wins and losses. However, there is a hope as the opposite can also happen. 

Lions, Jags, Browns.   This are teams that historically have been bad regardless of personnel and coaching staff.   Sean wasn't talking about Indy.   I'm not sure I would hire him anyway.    

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Moe said:

Bill O’Brien? He had success with the Houston Texans back before they had Deshaun Watson and is still pretty young at 53.

Kevin Bowen actually bright his name up. As long as he doesn’t have control he seems to be a good coach. But I don’t see that one.

Have not read through this thread but what about Ken Dorsey?

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kevin Bowen actually bright his name up. As long as he doesn’t have control he seems to be a good coach. But I don’t see that one.

Have not read through this thread but what about Ken Dorsey?

I wrote Ken Dorsey about a month ago. I also wrote Demeco Ryans. If Harbaugh is interested, the Colts should hire Harbaugh. 

On 11/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, teganslaw said:

There has to be reasons why he was never chosen for another coaching job: bad interviews. doesn't work well with others, etc. I have no idea, but would be cautious suggesting him. 

I have a theory too but I won't post it here because it is just speculation. There are many people who wait years for head coaching opportunities. Frank Reich was older when he was hired (~57). Mike Zimmer was not hired until after about 25 years in the NFL. No one assumed it was because of "bad interviews, doesn't work well with others" or whatever reason that they were not hired before. Comments like this is how speculation becomes a reality. 

On 11/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, teganslaw said:

I like Shane Steichen or Mike Kafka. Unsure about Eric Bieniemy, as there are some red flags surrounding his name. There has to be reasons why he was never chosen for another coaching job: bad interviews. doesn't work well with others, etc. I have no idea, but would be cautious suggesting him. 

Peyton Manning for HC is a pipe dream, and I doubt Jim Harbaugh wants to leave college coaching. I could be wrong, but I don't see it. 

I think he’s been arrested more than once, and some other questionable conduct. He apparently doesn’t interview well and most consider Reid the reason KC’s offense is so dynamic. And because of Mahomes of course!

On 11/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Peyton Manning and I could care less he has had 0 coaching experience. He was a coach on the field and would be a hell of a play caller. + If he was coach, Free Agents would want to come here because he is a big name.

Peyton has shown zero interest in being a coach and I doubt he’s going to put himself in position where Irsay can fire him again.  I also doubt Irsay wants to be in a position where he may have to fire Peyton again either.  Also, the fact Peyton has zero experience doing it tells me he won’t do it.  Peyton doesn’t do things unless he feels like he has it mastered.  

Gotta see what’s out there.  Say the Packers doing something shocking like fire LaFleur in an attempt to make Rodgers happy?  (For the record I don’t think that will happen).  If the Colts go the coordinator route I would give a long look Greg Roman the OC of the Ravens.  I think John Harbaugh is a great NFL coach so I wouldn’t mind taking someone off his tree.  Brian Callahan of the Bengals could be another interesting name.

Archived