Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Deadline

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definitely trying to trade Kelly and turning over the center position to Pinter.  I'm shopping JT.  I know it's not going to happen but he's worth a lot right now to a contender looking for a RB.  The way I see it we are going to be playing catch up for most of the remaining season and throwing a lot.  JT can't run behind this line.  I would bet we could get a 1st and a player.  Maybe a starting caliber OL.   That extra 1st could be used to move up and get a quarterback we want in the draft.  I don't think Ballard would ever entertain the thought of moving JT but if you want a premium pick to move up in the draft he's the guy who could bring it. 

I wouldn't be opposed to trading JT.   He's got an ankle, has had some fumbles and some drops.   If he's heading in the direction of a nagging RB with unreliable hands, best to off load him now.

It would have to be a 1st or two 2nds.  I'd take the risk that he will return to All Pro on another team.

Kelly and Moore or on my trading block, but I don't think either of them attracts the draft pick high enough to get the deal done.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I wouldn't be opposed to trading JT.   He's got an ankle, has had some fumbles and some drops.   If he's heading in the direction of a nagging RB with unreliable hands, best to off load him now.

It would have to be a 1st or two 2nds.  I'd take the risk that he will return to All Pro on another team.

Kelly and Moore or on my trading block, but I don't think either of them attracts the draft pick high enough to get the deal done.

To me at this stage is it is also about dumping contracts. I think Buckner would have some value. He is an elite DT who can disrupt and you put him with some edge rushers that line could be lethal. I could think of  team like Dallas, but he might be untradeable because of his contract

Any plsyers that are FA after the season would be worth exploring a trade. But with Ballard and Reich’s job being on the line I doubt they do. Kelly I would trade and let Pinter be center. We don’t really have anyone that would help with a QB.  Although something like that could be done before draft where you might need to move up twice.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

To me at this stage is it is also about dumping contracts. I think Buckner would have some value. He is an elite DT who can disrupt and you put him with some edge rushers that line could be lethal. I could think of  team like Dallas, but he might be untradeable because of his contract

In that case I think those guys don’t need to be traded until closer to the draft. Need to know where you finish in draft order first. Don’t want to get rid of someone like that if you don’t have to really move up to get your QB.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Shaq Leonard would be the top of my list for trading, followed by Ryan Kelly and Kenny Moore.

Ever since the name change, Darius hasn't been himself. lol 

Shaq’s contract isn’t going to let you trade him even if the Colts wanted too.  Fans may not like this but they are married to Shaq, Smith, and, Nelson for a while.

Hard to find a lot of realistic trade options:

Moore - underperforming and wants a big new contract

Leonard - too much dead cap hit

Q - too much dead cap hit

Kelly - not a lot of trade value 

Pitt - not trading your WR1

JT - not going to sell low on your stud RB

Hines - little to no trade value

MAC - see Hines

Rookies - not trading them

Somebody like Oke might get a pick back...or even Blackmon. Though likely not a lot.

DeFo is the one who would net a good return. He has no dead cap after this season, so I assume he will want a new contract. I think it comes down to whether the Colts want to do that OR get something for him now.

And then of course Gilmore is a prime trade candidate for a win-now team. His contract isn't expensive and he could really help a contender.

Ultimately, I doubt we see anybody moved.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Shaq’s contract isn’t going to let you trade him even if the Colts wanted too.  Fans may not like this but they are married to Shaq, Smith, and, Nelson for a while.

Think about what you just said.  If that is true it goes double for us signing them to these deals to begin with.  MISTAKE

We all laughed at TN giving AJ Brown away because they felt he was not worth 25 million.  Funny that they are still 5-2 huh?  

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Hard to find a lot of realistic trade options:

Moore - underperforming and wants a big new contract

Leonard - too much dead cap hit

Q - too much dead cap hit

Kelly - not a lot of trade value 

Pitt - not trading your WR1

JT - not going to sell low on your stud RB

Hines - little to no trade value

MAC - see Hines

Rookies - not trading them

Somebody like Oke might get a pick back...or even Blackmon. Though likely not a lot.

DeFo is the one who would net a good return. He has no dead cap after this season, so I assume he will want a new contract. I think it comes down to whether the Colts want to do that OR get something for him now.

And then of course Gilmore is a prime trade candidate for a win-now team. His contract isn't expensive and he could really help a contender.

Ultimately, I doubt we see anybody moved.

Honestly the strength of this team is the d-line so I don’t think they are going to move Buckner.  Him, Grove, and Kwity are a good trio to build around regardless of who the GM is next year.

Kenny Moore and Kelly are really the only two players that could realistically be traded that some teams might want. Maybe Hines as well.

Trading JT is *ic unless you get an absolute ridiculous bag for him. Even with a crappy OL, he has a high YPC this year. He's just been dinged up a bit and the line stinks.

Shaq  can't be traded easily due to his contract, and this was LITERALLY Shaqs first game back and got us a pick on a team with the worst turnover +- this year without him (when last year we were first...). The games we've lost this year have been close and low scoring mostly due to the poor offense. If Shaq was playing and causing turnovers like he normally does, that's at least 2 games more that we could've won.

Nelson has been disappointing this year, but this is really the first year that he hasn't been playing at an absolute elite level. Most people seem to be angry about him due to the contract semantics of what to pay a guard, but he's still most likely the best player on an awfully bad OL all around him. I'd like to see how he does when OL changes are made around him this off-season, for the better hopefully. Plus his contract isn't friendly to most other teams as well.

30 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'd restructure Defo before trading him.

I'm dumping Kelly, Moore, and Pryor at the end of the season if Kelly and Moore aren't traded.  That's about $18m right there?  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep. I think this is something that many fans often miss...contract details. When you trade a player, especially one that recently signed a huge extension, there is usually significant dead cap from signing bonuses. You can trade away the base salary and future roster bonuses, but you have to eat the signing bonus at once.

Just looking at Smith, Leonard and Q, all three of their contracts have backloaded cap hits too. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Tampa Bay would be a good place to try and shop Ryan Kelly. 

I can see that. If Kelly does well, we get a conditional (say) 4th rounder but if he doesn't do well, he can get Tom Brady killed while fetching a 5th rounder. Win-win to me. haha

We won't realistically get more than that.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly the strength of this team is the d-line so I don’t think they are going to move Buckner.  Him, Grove, and Kwity are a good trio to build around regardless of who the GM is next year.

DeFo is going to be 29 next season and Grove is going to be 30. Not saying that is a reason to trade them, but there might not be a lot of time to build around two of those guys.

37 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Any plsyers that are FA after the season would be worth exploring a trade. But with Ballard and Reich’s job being on the line I doubt they do. Kelly I would trade and let Pinter be center. We don’t really have anyone that would help with a QB.  Although something like that could be done before draft where you might need to move up twice.

Kelly is almost untradeable. He should be benched and big contract. You probably have to give up a pick to a team just to unload him. How do you trade a 2nd string with a big contract to a team in need of a starting center??Cap cut next year

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd restructure Defo before trading him.

I'm dumping Kelly, Moore, and Pryor at the end of the season if Kelly and Moore aren't traded.  That's about $18m right there?  

I think DeFo is a prime restructure candidate. They will need the cap space the next two years.

My guess would be that they tack on a couple more years in an extension. I just don't see any way that DeFo plays his age 29 and 30 seasons with no gtd money.

If they don't want to do that with DeFo, then trading him would be the move to make (if the return was there). 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Kelly is almost untradeable. He should be benched and big contract. You probably have to give up a pick to a team just to unload him. How do you trade a 2nd string with a big contract to a team in need of a starting center??Cap cut next year

Tampa needs a center and are still in playoff race. Ur would only be like a 4th.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If the Eagles offer something decent for Kenny Moore (our old DB coach is their DC), sure make that trade. Or something of that nature. 

Getting rid of contributing players without any meaningful compensation? No thanks. 

What would qualify as meaninful compensation? Lets say they offer a 3d for him(that would likely be late 3d). Is that meaningful enough? What do we do after the season ends and he again starts demanding a new contract? Has he played well enough to be given one? I personally wouldn't give him a cent over what he's being paid now. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Bobby Okereke would be available also. IMO he's playing well, but he's a FA and I don't see us keeping him. The staff seems to favor Franklin, who is also playing reasonably well, although I like Okereke better. 

I like EJ Speed better than all of them. I would much rather extend Speed than any of the rest. 

With his current contract and injury situation Leonard is likely stuck here. I doubt anyone would be willing to give us much value for him. So I would build the LB group around Leonard and Speed.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

What would qualify as meaninful compensation? Lets say they offer a 3d for him(that would likely be late 3d). Is that meaningful enough? What do we do after the season ends and he again starts demanding a new contract? Has he played well enough to be given one? I personally wouldn't give him a cent over what he's being paid now. 

Dude.  Kenny Moore ain't bringing no 3rd lol.   6th maybe.

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

You would be lucky to get a 4th/5th for Kenny Moore, just being honest here.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

KM had a rough couple games but he's been okay. And yeah, I'd probably trade him for a third right now. I'm definitely not interested in extending him or increasing his pay after this season, so it's either trade him now or in the offseason, the way I see it. 

Archived