Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alec Pierce

jbaron04

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Yep, I saw that, the packers looked very uncompetitive yesterday and their lack of receivers(worse receiving core than the Colts) had a lot to do with that. But, you can't pay everybody so they traded Adams.

First play of the game, perfectly thrown ball to rookie WR Watson by Rodgers, he would have had a TD easily if he just caught it and kept running. But no, he drops it. The QB can only do so much, you need the guys to catch. Adams is heck of a WR, he was still productive against a good Chargers pass D. Tyreek Hill had a major impact too drawing double coverage helping Waddle get 1-on-1s.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GoHorse1992 said:

Watching the game, it looked like Dulin and Strachan were getting good separation all day…Pitt was just the primary read. Like others have said, I want to see more of them going forward while Pierce works through his rookie lumps.

Less Granson more Strachan. His size was giving DBs trouble.

16 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

He was horrible today….couldn’t hang on to nothing..

First game jitters - ever heard of those things? He absolutely got rocked on the second one AND came back in afterwards.....I think that says more about his game than anything right now.

Sheesh.....hope you weren't around for Reggie Wayne (330, 700 and 800 yards his first 3 years) or Marvin Harrisons (800ish yards each of his first 3 years) first years in the league when they struggled too....borderline HOFer and an elected HOFer.......

R-E-L-A-X

It is funny but I was listening to Lombardi and he talked bout Andy Reid and how his teams always excell in season openers. He said Andy and  some ther notable  coaches play their starters more in the pre season. Andy's teams always come out firing in their season openers. That's is one criticism  I  have is that Frank has these slow starts and maybe that's is thr reason why? Sitting his starters to much in pre season cause man they look sluggish every year.

I too was at the game. Strachan should be targeted more. Not until the end did Reich target Campbell across the middle. We had the speed to stretch the field but NEVER tried too. The OL sucked and the only way we tied was because the Texan dropped back their safeties. Braden Smith was just eaten alive by Jerry Hughes. Ryan must have thought he was playing with the Falcon's OL. Ryan Kelly is not mentally in the game, he may need help.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is funny but I was listening to Lombardi and he talked bout Andy Reid and how his teams always excell in season openers. He said Andy and  some ther notable  coaches play their starters more in the pre season. Andy's teams always come out firing in their season openers. That's is one criticism  I  have is that Frank has these slow starts and maybe that's is thr reason why? Sitting his starters to much in pre season cause man they look sluggish every year.

Well our starters played plenty this season. It wasn’t until the fourth quarter Frank opened up the playbook. The thing is he isn’t aggressive. I’m not talk about stupid giving the ball to Hines on short yardage plays lol We have playmakers and Frank isn’t using them right. Yesterday he called a horrible game. We also had sloppy play. He needs to get this team off the field scoring fast. Then let the defense attack. 

22 hours ago, csmopar said:

Oh heck. That’s the exception not the rule. 

look there’s plenty of things to lock in on that were negative today, but Pierce was only a tiny part of that. Let’s see what happens going forward 

I feel like his drop was the turn point in the game until Blankenship stole the show 

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

First game jitters - ever heard of those things? He absolutely got rocked on the second one AND came back in afterwards.....I think that says more about his game than anything right now.

Sheesh.....hope you weren't around for Reggie Wayne (330, 700 and 800 yards his first 3 years) or Marvin Harrisons (800ish yards each of his first 3 years) first years in the league when they struggled too....borderline HOFer and an elected HOFer.......

R-E-L-A-X

I was around, but to be fair it was a different NFL back then you expected rookies to take time to develop, QBs would sit a year or 2 etc… I’m not saying he not gonna be good in the future or what not. He had a horrible game and that’s a fact. Yes he did get rocked on that second one , but if you watch the play he dropped the ball before he got hit. It’s a ton of tuff guys in the NFL we need wide out to get open and catch the ball you don’t get cool points for dropping the ball but getting back in after a big hit. But I agree he is a rookie and some take long to develop than other , that being said he might be the best Wr in a year or two I’m just talking about this game since it’s a week to week league next week isn’t guaranteed 

13 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I was around, but to be fair it was a different NFL back then you expected rookies to take time to develop, QBs would sit a year or 2 etc… I’m not saying he not gonna be good in the future or what not. He had a horrible game and that’s a fact. Yes he did get rocked on that second one , but if you watch the play he dropped the ball before he got hit. It’s a ton of tuff guys in the NFL we need wide out to get open and catch the ball you don’t get cool points for dropping the ball but getting back in after a big hit. But I agree he is a rookie and some take long to develop than other , that being said he might be the best Wr in a year or two I’m just talking about this game since it’s a week to week league next week isn’t guaranteed 

Reggie started all those games as did Marvin, they just went thru the same growing pains as Pierce and every other young wide receiver we have has had to go thru, or is still going thru because they are young. I think we agree in principle but I will admit I am likely more patient than most! Ha!

Yes, I know he was already dropping the ball on the second one when he got rocked I was more making the point that he could have easily taken those losses and cashed it in for the game, but, his resilience persevered and he did go back in - aka he did not shrink from the moment or the failures. It was more about his mental toughness (versus the physical) and that is what will eventually make him successful for us. 

To my original point though, while I am one of the few that do love the talent that all of these young guys have - keeping a savvy veteran around may not have been the worst idea to help mentor them and provide a reliable target for Ryan. That is on the FO though and not the fault of the young guys. I am thinking a guy like Pascal or Landry type that will make the tough intermediate and first down catches. 

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Reggie started all those games as did Marvin, they just went thru the same growing pains as Pierce and every other young wide receiver we have has had to go thru, or is still going thru because they are young. I think we agree in principle but I will admit I am likely more patient than most! Ha!

Yes, I know he was already dropping the ball on the second one when he got rocked I was more making the point that he could have easily taken those losses and cashed it in for the game, but, his resilience persevered and he did go back in - aka he did not shrink from the moment or the failures. It was more about his mental toughness (versus the physical) and that is what will eventually make him successful for us. 

To my original point though, while I am one of the few that do love the talent that all of these young guys have - keeping a savvy veteran around may not have been the worst idea to help mentor them and provide a reliable target for Ryan. That is on the FO though and not the fault of the young guys. I am thinking a guy like Pascal or Landry type that will make the tough intermediate and first down catches. 

I agree with all what you’re saying , I remember Pittman rookie year he had 3-4 drops in the titans game and we was wondering if we made the right pic. Look at him now , I believe Alec will be a good player for us 

22 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I too was at the game. Strachan should be targeted more. Not until the end did Reich target Campbell across the middle. We had the speed to stretch the field but NEVER tried too. The OL sucked and the only way we tied was because the Texan dropped back their safeties. Braden Smith was just eaten alive by Jerry Hughes. Ryan must have thought he was playing with the Falcon's OL. Ryan Kelly is not mentally in the game, he may need help.

Reich doesn’t target people Ryan does.  Without going back and looking at the tape I don’t think you can say Reich didn’t call plays where Campbell was running routes across the middle.  If he did there is probably a reason Ryan didn’t throw it to him.  Probably either he wasn’t open, someone else was more open, or (and this is where you could pick on Frank if you want too) someone else the played was designed for in his progression was open.  

On 9/12/2022 at 6:48 PM, AustexColt said:

Yep, not a big fan of "overpaid" Kelly any more.

On 9/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, AustexColt said:

“Ryan Kelky is not mentally in the game”…

And you know this…..   because how?   

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised i haven't seen any George Pickens comments after last night's game and one of the most incredible catches in NFL history.  I liked Alec Pierce in the draft, but Pickens was my #1 target (along with several others on this board).

Going to be interesting to monitor over the course of their careers.

58 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

Surprised i haven't seen any George Pickens comments after last night's game and one of the most incredible catches in NFL history.  I liked Alec Pierce in the draft, but Pickens was my #1 target (along with several others on this board).

Going to be interesting to monitor over the course of their careers.

Ppl here don't want a talent like Pickens cuz he's not a perfect human being off the field and on

I think any character concerns with Pickens dealt with his ability to stay focused on the game and his duties during the week, and to not get distracted by immature stuff.  That the character issues would lead to bad on field performances, or even unavailability to play if it dominated his personal life.  Its a risk that penalties, performance, or unavailability will be high.

I don't think that teams really care if a player is simply edgy person ( like maybe Randy Loss was in his youth, or Richie Incognito).  At QB and as the face of the franchise maybe, but not position players.  JMO.

Pickins has 5 catches for 65 yards on the seasons through 3 full games.

Pierce has played 1 game. Yes he had a terrible game but give him at least this entire season to figure things out.

I don’t see either of them getting crazy stats this year. The entire Colts offense has stunk honestly. Maybe they will find something.

Archived