Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The conditional 3rd wound Wentz pick

twfish

With how well Howell has started off and how poor things are sound for Wentz I wonder if its a matter of time before they decide to go with Howell. IIRC if he plays 70% of snaps it turns into a 2nd. If Wentz stays healthy and halfway through they decide to bench him how do you see it being played out? Or I wonder if there's a clause the pertains to him being healthy and missing snaps vs injured?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, twfish said:

With how well Howell has started off and how poor things are sound for Wentz I wonder if its a matter of time before they decide to go with Howell. IIRC if he plays 70% of snaps it turns into a 2nd. If Wentz stays healthy and halfway through they decide to bench him how do you see it being played out? Or I wonder if there's a clause the pertains to him being healthy and missing snaps vs injured?

I dont think they will bench Wentz for Howell.

That being said when I hear the word "conditional" i always expect the lowest possible pick.

I think the Commanders are going to surprise people. Wentz will have them as a 7 or 8 seed. I can see 9-8 easily. 10-7 would not be a shock. 

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

If they can split with the Eagles & Cowboys, that is 9-8.

If they upset one of the following & drop of the above, it’s still 9 wins.  

Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

18 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think the Commanders are going to surprise people. Wentz will have them as a 7 or 8 seed. I can see 9-8 easily. 10-7 would not be a shock. 

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

I have them 8-9 as of now. I will do my annual team by team predictions shortly. I usually do them at the end of pre-season. 

25 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

Some very winnable games on that schedule. I think it all hinges on their defense. That unit disappointed badly last year so if they rebound and get a little bit of offense from Wentz or whoever they start they may surprise some folks.

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

I think they can beat the Titans, Browns and Vikings as well. They have the schedule to get to double digits wins. 

The reports on Wentz have been….   Mixed, and that may be charitable. 

Looks very good one day, looks terrible the next day.   And despite a very good receiver corp, he’s wild and misses targets.   

So I’m at at all confident he’ll last long enough to turn that 3 into a 2.   I can see him getting benched right around week 12-ish, right where the point the is upgraded.   So, I’m not holding my breath.   I’m expecting it not to happen and will be happy to be surprised in a good way.  

There’s talent in that roster, but there’s also lots of bad juju inside that franchise and I think that will work against us.  

I hope I’m wrong. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looks very good one day, looks terrible the next day.   And despite a very good receiver corp, he’s wild and misses targets.   

So I’m at at all confident he’ll last long enough to turn that 3 into a 2.   I can see him getting benched right around week 12-ish, right where the point the is upgraded.   So, I’m not holding my breath.   I’m expecting it not to happen and will be happy to be surprised in a good way.  

There’s talent in that roster, but there’s also lots of bad juju inside that franchise and I think that will work against us.  

I hope I’m wrong. 

It really looks and sounds about the same from last year. He’ll show flashes of why he’s a starter, but then make a really bad mistake. 

For the moment Washington is behind him. He’s got a pretty good supporting cast of receivers, and a decent defense. I think he’ll actually make it to the end of the season without completely losing the starting job. But, I can see him getting benched during a game. This is possibly his last shot as a defacto starter, so he needs to open his mind and heart and listen to the staff. 

8 hours ago, twfish said:

Can't bench 30 mil. The owner will be *.

7 hours ago, FanOutOfTown said:

Some very winnable games on that schedule. I think it all hinges on their defense. That unit disappointed badly last year so if they rebound and get a little bit of offense from Wentz or whoever they start they may surprise some folks.

We also had some very winnable games with Wentz at the helm and we saw how that turned out lol. 

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Can't bench 30 mil. The owner will be *.

The owner is the worst in football and may soon be suspended.    It’s a terribly run franchise.   To save a 3rd round pick from becoming a 2nd,  I don’t think they will hesitate to bench Wentz.   It depends on how bad he’s playing.  Is Wentz really the problem, or is it elsewhere and Wentz is just a scapegoat?  

Bottom line:  they can bench $30 mill.   The only question is….    Will they?

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The owner is the worst in football and may soon be suspended.    It’s a terribly run franchise.   To save a 3rd round pick from becoming a 2nd,  I don’t think they will hesitate to bench Wentz.   It depends on how bad he’s playing.  Is Wentz really the problem, or is it elsewhere and Wentz is just a scapegoat?  

You are 100% correct about the worst owner. However, they have a good coach.  With Riverboat Ron and a favorable schedule, they should be in contention towards the end of the season. Washington fans may go through what we did last year. 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Imo, the GM had to convince the owner Wentz was worth paying 30 million dollars. What message are you sending if you bench him? Might as well start writing your resignation.

15 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

I still can't believe the Colts got out from under that $30 mil. contract.

Still shaking my head over that.

This is why I laugh when people say Ballard isn’t a good GM. Yes he made a mistake in Wentz but rather than doubling down on it he turned it into a positive.  Add in the fact he got Ryan for a third and didn’t have to take that contract the man looks like a genius even with getting Wentz factored in.  As I’ve said before all GMs make mistakes.  It what you do after you made the mistake that tells you if you have a good GM or not.  The Colts have a good one.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Imo, the GM had to convince the owner Wentz was worth paying 30 million dollars. What message are you sending if you bench him? Might as well start writing your resignation.

If it looks like they won’t make the playoffs, it will look like they’re trying to salvage a disappointing season.    Keep their 2nd round pick,  and get a better position in the draft. 

I think that’s an argument they can sell to their fan base. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If it looks like they won’t make the playoffs, it will look like they’re trying to salvage a disappointing season.    Keep their 2nd round pick,  and get a better position in the draft. 

I think that’s an argument they can sell to their fan base. 

How do you explain to your owner that your 30 million dollar investment that you traded multiple picks for crapped the bed? It's not just the fans that are gonna be angry

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How do you explain to your owner that your 30 million dollar investment that you traded multiple picks for crapped the bed? It's not just the fans that are gonna be angry

Sorry….  But how in the world do you AS A COLTS FAN ask that question?!?    CARSON Wentz messed the bed.   We dealt with it.  So if it looks like Wentz is the problem, it’ll be obvious to everyone. 

Angry fans is not a good reason to make decisions.   Angry owner is another story.  Making the best of a bad situation AS THE COLTS DID is the best answer. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….  But how in the world do you AS A COLTS FAN ask that question?!?    CARSON Wentz messed the bed.   We dealt with it.  So if it looks like Wentz is the problem, it’ll be obvious to everyone. 

Angry fans is not a good reason to make decisions.   Angry owner is another story.  Making the best of a bad situation AS THE COLTS DID is the best answer. 

And I'm sure Irsay went to Ballard and said get this bleep off my team

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….   So….    What’s your point?   

If Wentz isn’t good enough,  then the Commanders won’t want him back as well.   That’s the way this works. 

My point is a lot of people in Washington will lose their jobs if Wentz gets benched or he fails to deliver atleast a winning season.

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

My point is a lot of people in Washington will lose their jobs if Wentz gets benched or he fails to deliver atleast a winning season.

Maybe?    Maybe not?    But if he’s not living up to the expectation, those same people likely will lose their jobs anyway.    At least in my scenario those people are trying to make the best out of a bad situation.   And, to remind you, other than Wentz himself, no one on the Colts lost their job.   So your assumptions aren’t helpful. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

sounds familiar 

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

How do you explain to the other 52 guys on the roster that they are playing a clearly inferior quarterback?

You are on the wrong side of this argument. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't follow all of the drama of the NFL as closely as others.  How is Snyder the worst owner in football?  He made some headlines about 10 years ago, but I haven't heard of anything he's been terrible at that isn't a matter of personal opinion.  Most of these owners have idiosyncrasies that score high on the "weird guy" card with me, even Irsay, and if I sat down and chatted with many, it sounds like I'd disagree with them about a lot of things.

The Redskins seem to have a decent team and their players stay out of trouble as much as any team's do, IMO.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't follow all of the drama of the NFL as closely as others.  How is Snyder the worst owner in football?  He made some headlines about 10 years ago, but I haven't heard of anything he's been terrible at that isn't a matter of personal opinion.  Most of these owners have idiosyncrasies that score high on the "weird guy" card with me, even Irsay, and if I sat down and chatted with many, it sounds like I'd disagree with them about a lot of things.

The Redskins seem to have a decent team and their players stay out of trouble as much as any team's do, IMO.

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-owner-daniel-snyder-testifies-before-congressional-committee

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/dan-snyder-roger-goodell-commanders-congress-investigation/bdl8loj2fy86he6krwhdomdt

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Oh, a lot of allegations that are clearly covered under our country's laws that he was never punished for, so he ended up being fined by the the NFLs fraternity of owners.  They tend to be a bunch of wimps when it comes to certain allegations, as does Congress.

The NFL' fraternity of owners would have more credibility if the transgressions they punish actually violated the law or went through a similar form of due process instead of usually looking like a kangaroo court where certain allegations rendered by a few people are deemed to have actually happened and the perp has to basically prove their innocence.

But more to the point. It sounds like hasn't been not involved in the day to day operations of the team for a while now, so I don't see why the name Daniel Snyder is even relevant at all, especially to the Wentz situation.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Oh, a lot of allegations that are clearly covered under our country's laws that he was never punished for, so he ended up being fined by the the NFLs fraternity of owners.  They tend to be a bunch of wimps when it comes to certain allegations, as does Congress.

The NFL' fraternity of owners would have more credibility if the transgressions they punish actually violated the law or went through a similar form of due process instead of usually looking like a kangaroo court where certain allegations rendered by a few people are deemed to have actually happened and the perp has to basically prove their innocence.

But more to the point. It sounds like hasn't been not involved in the day to day operations of the team for a while now, so I don't see why the name Daniel Snyder is even relevant at all, especially to the Wentz situation.  

I'm not going to say much about it. You had mentioned you don't follow the drama (understandable) so I figured I'd get you up to speed on the whole thing. He just testified to congress this past month, so he's still fairly relevant to Washington in that way. 

As far as his connections with Wentz? I have no clue, since I'm not a close contact with the organization or family. I still think Wentz is their best chance at winning for this season. Howell looks pretty good, but they should probably sit him for this year, let him learn and not throw him to the wolves and shatter his confidence. 

Although I say that, and then remember that Mahomes came in to relieve Smith at KC and the rest is history, so what do I know? 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You don't have to violate a law to be disciplined by your employer or business partners.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

How do you explain to the other 52 guys on the roster that they are playing a clearly inferior quarterback?

You are on the wrong side of this argument. 

Do you know how often that happens? It's called tanking.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe?    Maybe not?    But if he’s not living up to the expectation, those same people likely will lose their jobs anyway.    At least in my scenario those people are trying to make the best out of a bad situation.   And, to remind you, other than Wentz himself, no one on the Colts lost their job.   So your assumptions aren’t helpful. 

Their already in a bad situation. Some would argue Reich should have been fired for selling the team on Wentz. Ballard never wanted him. However, Irsay isn't the type to make knee-jerk decisions 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

You don't have to violate a law to be disciplined by your employer or business partners.

I would say that employees rights laws should require that employers use similar due processes if your employer chooses to have wide ranging disciplinary powers.   Want to discipline conduct, have the proper due processes.  After all, laws aren't designed to perpetuate the image of the country but to treat people fairly, whereas a company establishes rules to perpetuate an image they think will ultimately support revenue.  As it is now, they can use employees personal conduct as a way to advertise their righteousness.  Seems inherently illegal to me, but nobody has figured it out yet or are scared to pursue it.  

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not going to say much about it. You had mentioned you don't follow the drama (understandable) so I figured I'd get you up to speed on the whole thing. He just testified to congress this past month, so he's still fairly relevant to Washington in that way. 

As far as his connections with Wentz? I have no clue, since I'm not a close contact with the organization or family. I still think Wentz is their best chance at winning for this season. Howell looks pretty good, but they should probably sit him for this year, let him learn and not throw him to the wolves and shatter his confidence. 

Although I say that, and then remember that Mahomes came in to relieve Smith at KC and the rest is history, so what do I know? 

Interested in reading Howell is looking pretty good.  I didn’t know that.  He’s the Quarterback I wanted the Colts to draft to learn from Ryan.  Good for him.

Archived