Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The conditional 3rd wound Wentz pick


twfish

Recommended Posts

With how well Howell has started off and how poor things are sound for Wentz I wonder if its a matter of time before they decide to go with Howell. IIRC if he plays 70% of snaps it turns into a 2nd. If Wentz stays healthy and halfway through they decide to bench him how do you see it being played out? Or I wonder if there's a clause the pertains to him being healthy and missing snaps vs injured?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, twfish said:

With how well Howell has started off and how poor things are sound for Wentz I wonder if its a matter of time before they decide to go with Howell. IIRC if he plays 70% of snaps it turns into a 2nd. If Wentz stays healthy and halfway through they decide to bench him how do you see it being played out? Or I wonder if there's a clause the pertains to him being healthy and missing snaps vs injured?

I dont think they will bench Wentz for Howell.

 

That being said when I hear the word "conditional" i always expect the lowest possible pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Commanders are going to surprise people. Wentz will have them as a 7 or 8 seed. I can see 9-8 easily. 10-7 would not be a shock. 

 

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

 

 

If they can split with the Eagles & Cowboys, that is 9-8.

 

If they upset one of the following & drop of the above, it’s still 9 wins.  

 


Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think the Commanders are going to surprise people. Wentz will have them as a 7 or 8 seed. I can see 9-8 easily. 10-7 would not be a shock. 

 

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

 

 

If they can split with the Eagles & Cowboys, that is 9-8.

 

If they upset one of the following & drop of the above, it’s still 9 wins.  

 


Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

 

I have them 8-9 as of now. I will do my annual team by team predictions shortly. I usually do them at the end of pre-season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think the Commanders are going to surprise people. Wentz will have them as a 7 or 8 seed. I can see 9-8 easily. 10-7 would not be a shock. 

 

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

 

 

If they can split with the Eagles & Cowboys, that is 9-8.

 

If they upset one of the following & drop of the above, it’s still 9 wins.  

 


Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

 

Some very winnable games on that schedule. I think it all hinges on their defense. That unit disappointed badly last year so if they rebound and get a little bit of offense from Wentz or whoever they start they may surprise some folks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I think the Commanders are going to surprise people. Wentz will have them as a 7 or 8 seed. I can see 9-8 easily. 10-7 would not be a shock. 

 

Jaguars

texans 

Lions

Bears

Falcons

giants

giants

 

 

If they can split with the Eagles & Cowboys, that is 9-8.

 

If they upset one of the following & drop of the above, it’s still 9 wins.  

 


Colts

Titans

Browns

Packers

Vikings 

49ers

 

I think they can beat the Titans, Browns and Vikings as well. They have the schedule to get to double digits wins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reports on Wentz have been….   Mixed, and that may be charitable. 
 

Looks very good one day, looks terrible the next day.   And despite a very good receiver corp, he’s wild and misses targets.   
 

So I’m at at all confident he’ll last long enough to turn that 3 into a 2.   I can see him getting benched right around week 12-ish, right where the point the is upgraded.   So, I’m not holding my breath.   I’m expecting it not to happen and will be happy to be surprised in a good way.  
 

There’s talent in that roster, but there’s also lots of bad juju inside that franchise and I think that will work against us.  


I hope I’m wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reports on Wentz have been….   Mixed, and that may be charitable. 
 

Looks very good one day, looks terrible the next day.   And despite a very good receiver corp, he’s wild and misses targets.   
 

So I’m at at all confident he’ll last long enough to turn that 3 into a 2.   I can see him getting benched right around week 12-ish, right where the point the is upgraded.   So, I’m not holding my breath.   I’m expecting it not to happen and will be happy to be surprised in a good way.  
 

There’s talent in that roster, but there’s also lots of bad juju inside that franchise and I think that will work against us.  


I hope I’m wrong. 

It really looks and sounds about the same from last year. He’ll show flashes of why he’s a starter, but then make a really bad mistake. 
 

For the moment Washington is behind him. He’s got a pretty good supporting cast of receivers, and a decent defense. I think he’ll actually make it to the end of the season without completely losing the starting job. But, I can see him getting benched during a game. This is possibly his last shot as a defacto starter, so he needs to open his mind and heart and listen to the staff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, twfish said:

With how well Howell has started off and how poor things are sound for Wentz I wonder if its a matter of time before they decide to go with Howell. IIRC if he plays 70% of snaps it turns into a 2nd. If Wentz stays healthy and halfway through they decide to bench him how do you see it being played out? Or I wonder if there's a clause the pertains to him being healthy and missing snaps vs injured?

 

Can't bench 30 mil. The owner will be *.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FanOutOfTown said:

Some very winnable games on that schedule. I think it all hinges on their defense. That unit disappointed badly last year so if they rebound and get a little bit of offense from Wentz or whoever they start they may surprise some folks.

We also had some very winnable games with Wentz at the helm and we saw how that turned out lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Can't bench 30 mil. The owner will be *.


The owner is the worst in football and may soon be suspended.    It’s a terribly run franchise.   To save a 3rd round pick from becoming a 2nd,  I don’t think they will hesitate to bench Wentz.   It depends on how bad he’s playing.  Is Wentz really the problem, or is it elsewhere and Wentz is just a scapegoat?  
 

Bottom line:  they can bench $30 mill.   The only question is….    Will they?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


The owner is the worst in football and may soon be suspended.    It’s a terribly run franchise.   To save a 3rd round pick from becoming a 2nd,  I don’t think they will hesitate to bench Wentz.   It depends on how bad he’s playing.  Is Wentz really the problem, or is it elsewhere and Wentz is just a scapegoat?  
 

Bottom line:  they can bench $30 mill.   The only question is….    Will they?

 

 

 

You are 100% correct about the worst owner. However, they have a good coach.  With Riverboat Ron and a favorable schedule, they should be in contention towards the end of the season. Washington fans may go through what we did last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


The owner is the worst in football and may soon be suspended.    It’s a terribly run franchise.   To save a 3rd round pick from becoming a 2nd,  I don’t think they will hesitate to bench Wentz.   It depends on how bad he’s playing.  Is Wentz really the problem, or is it elsewhere and Wentz is just a scapegoat?  
 

Bottom line:  they can bench $30 mill.   The only question is….    Will they?

 

 

 

 

Imo, the GM had to convince the owner Wentz was worth paying 30 million dollars. What message are you sending if you bench him? Might as well start writing your resignation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

I still can't believe the Colts got out from under that $30 mil. contract.

Still shaking my head over that.

 

This is why I laugh when people say Ballard isn’t a good GM. Yes he made a mistake in Wentz but rather than doubling down on it he turned it into a positive.  Add in the fact he got Ryan for a third and didn’t have to take that contract the man looks like a genius even with getting Wentz factored in.  As I’ve said before all GMs make mistakes.  It what you do after you made the mistake that tells you if you have a good GM or not.  The Colts have a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

 

Imo, the GM had to convince the owner Wentz was worth paying 30 million dollars. What message are you sending if you bench him? Might as well start writing your resignation.

 


If it looks like they won’t make the playoffs, it will look like they’re trying to salvage a disappointing season.    Keep their 2nd round pick,  and get a better position in the draft. 
 

I think that’s an argument they can sell to their fan base. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


If it looks like they won’t make the playoffs, it will look like they’re trying to salvage a disappointing season.    Keep their 2nd round pick,  and get a better position in the draft. 
 

I think that’s an argument they can sell to their fan base. 

 

How do you explain to your owner that your 30 million dollar investment that you traded multiple picks for crapped the bed? It's not just the fans that are gonna be angry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

How do you explain to your owner that your 30 million dollar investment that you traded multiple picks for crapped the bed? It's not just the fans that are gonna be angry


Sorry….  But how in the world do you AS A COLTS FAN ask that question?!?    CARSON Wentz messed the bed.   We dealt with it.  So if it looks like Wentz is the problem, it’ll be obvious to everyone. 
 

Angry fans is not a good reason to make decisions.   Angry owner is another story.  Making the best of a bad situation AS THE COLTS DID is the best answer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Sorry….  But how in the world do you AS A COLTS FAN ask that question?!?    CARSON Wentz messed the bed.   We dealt with it.  So if it looks like Wentz is the problem, it’ll be obvious to everyone. 
 

Angry fans is not a good reason to make decisions.   Angry owner is another story.  Making the best of a bad situation AS THE COLTS DID is the best answer. 

 

And I'm sure Irsay went to Ballard and said get this bleep off my team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


Yeah….   So….    What’s your point?   
 

If Wentz isn’t good enough,  then the Commanders won’t want him back as well.   That’s the way this works. 

 

My point is a lot of people in Washington will lose their jobs if Wentz gets benched or he fails to deliver atleast a winning season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

My point is a lot of people in Washington will lose their jobs if Wentz gets benched or he fails to deliver atleast a winning season.


Maybe?    Maybe not?    But if he’s not living up to the expectation, those same people likely will lose their jobs anyway.    At least in my scenario those people are trying to make the best out of a bad situation.   And, to remind you, other than Wentz himself, no one on the Colts lost their job.   So your assumptions aren’t helpful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reports on Wentz have been….   Mixed, and that may be charitable. 
 

Looks very good one day, looks terrible the next day.   And despite a very good receiver corp, he’s wild and misses targets.   


sounds familiar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

How do you explain to your owner that your 30 million dollar investment that you traded multiple picks for crapped the bed? It's not just the fans that are gonna be angry


How do you explain to the other 52 guys on the roster that they are playing a clearly inferior quarterback?

 

You are on the wrong side of this argument. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


The owner is the worst in football and may soon be suspended.    It’s a terribly run franchise.   To save a 3rd round pick from becoming a 2nd,  I don’t think they will hesitate to bench Wentz.   It depends on how bad he’s playing.  Is Wentz really the problem, or is it elsewhere and Wentz is just a scapegoat?  
 

Bottom line:  they can bench $30 mill.   The only question is….    Will they?

 

 

 

I don't follow all of the drama of the NFL as closely as others.  How is Snyder the worst owner in football?  He made some headlines about 10 years ago, but I haven't heard of anything he's been terrible at that isn't a matter of personal opinion.  Most of these owners have idiosyncrasies that score high on the "weird guy" card with me, even Irsay, and if I sat down and chatted with many, it sounds like I'd disagree with them about a lot of things.

 

The Redskins seem to have a decent team and their players stay out of trouble as much as any team's do, IMO.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't follow all of the drama of the NFL as closely as others.  How is Snyder the worst owner in football?  He made some headlines about 10 years ago, but I haven't heard of anything he's been terrible at that isn't a matter of personal opinion.  Most of these owners have idiosyncrasies that score high on the "weird guy" card with me, even Irsay, and if I sat down and chatted with many, it sounds like I'd disagree with them about a lot of things.

 

The Redskins seem to have a decent team and their players stay out of trouble as much as any team's do, IMO.

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-owner-daniel-snyder-testifies-before-congressional-committee

 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/dan-snyder-roger-goodell-commanders-congress-investigation/bdl8loj2fy86he6krwhdomdt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Oh, a lot of allegations that are clearly covered under our country's laws that he was never punished for, so he ended up being fined by the the NFLs fraternity of owners.  They tend to be a bunch of wimps when it comes to certain allegations, as does Congress.

 

The NFL' fraternity of owners would have more credibility if the transgressions they punish actually violated the law or went through a similar form of due process instead of usually looking like a kangaroo court where certain allegations rendered by a few people are deemed to have actually happened and the perp has to basically prove their innocence.

 

But more to the point. It sounds like hasn't been not involved in the day to day operations of the team for a while now, so I don't see why the name Daniel Snyder is even relevant at all, especially to the Wentz situation.  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Oh, a lot of allegations that are clearly covered under our country's laws that he was never punished for, so he ended up being fined by the the NFLs fraternity of owners.  They tend to be a bunch of wimps when it comes to certain allegations, as does Congress.

 

The NFL' fraternity of owners would have more credibility if the transgressions they punish actually violated the law or went through a similar form of due process instead of usually looking like a kangaroo court where certain allegations rendered by a few people are deemed to have actually happened and the perp has to basically prove their innocence.

 

But more to the point. It sounds like hasn't been not involved in the day to day operations of the team for a while now, so I don't see why the name Daniel Snyder is even relevant at all, especially to the Wentz situation.  

 

 

 

I'm not going to say much about it. You had mentioned you don't follow the drama (understandable) so I figured I'd get you up to speed on the whole thing. He just testified to congress this past month, so he's still fairly relevant to Washington in that way. 

 

As far as his connections with Wentz? I have no clue, since I'm not a close contact with the organization or family. I still think Wentz is their best chance at winning for this season. Howell looks pretty good, but they should probably sit him for this year, let him learn and not throw him to the wolves and shatter his confidence. 

 

Although I say that, and then remember that Mahomes came in to relieve Smith at KC and the rest is history, so what do I know? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh, a lot of allegations that are clearly covered under our country's laws that he was never punished for, so he ended up being fined by the the NFLs fraternity of owners.  They tend to be a bunch of wimps when it comes to certain allegations, as does Congress.

 

The NFL' fraternity of owners would have more credibility if the transgressions they punish actually violated the law or went through a similar form of due process instead of usually looking like a kangaroo court where certain allegations rendered by a few people are deemed to have actually happened and the perp has to basically prove their innocence.

 

But more to the point. It sounds like hasn't been not involved in the day to day operations of the team for a while now, so I don't see why the name Daniel Snyder is even relevant at all, especially to the Wentz situation.  

 

 

 

You don't have to violate a law to be disciplined by your employer or business partners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:


How do you explain to the other 52 guys on the roster that they are playing a clearly inferior quarterback?

 

You are on the wrong side of this argument. 

 

Do you know how often that happens? It's called tanking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


Maybe?    Maybe not?    But if he’s not living up to the expectation, those same people likely will lose their jobs anyway.    At least in my scenario those people are trying to make the best out of a bad situation.   And, to remind you, other than Wentz himself, no one on the Colts lost their job.   So your assumptions aren’t helpful. 

 

Their already in a bad situation. Some would argue Reich should have been fired for selling the team on Wentz. Ballard never wanted him. However, Irsay isn't the type to make knee-jerk decisions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

You don't have to violate a law to be disciplined by your employer or business partners.

I would say that employees rights laws should require that employers use similar due processes if your employer chooses to have wide ranging disciplinary powers.   Want to discipline conduct, have the proper due processes.  After all, laws aren't designed to perpetuate the image of the country but to treat people fairly, whereas a company establishes rules to perpetuate an image they think will ultimately support revenue.  As it is now, they can use employees personal conduct as a way to advertise their righteousness.  Seems inherently illegal to me, but nobody has figured it out yet or are scared to pursue it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not going to say much about it. You had mentioned you don't follow the drama (understandable) so I figured I'd get you up to speed on the whole thing. He just testified to congress this past month, so he's still fairly relevant to Washington in that way. 

 

As far as his connections with Wentz? I have no clue, since I'm not a close contact with the organization or family. I still think Wentz is their best chance at winning for this season. Howell looks pretty good, but they should probably sit him for this year, let him learn and not throw him to the wolves and shatter his confidence. 

 

Although I say that, and then remember that Mahomes came in to relieve Smith at KC and the rest is history, so what do I know? 

Interested in reading Howell is looking pretty good.  I didn’t know that.  He’s the Quarterback I wanted the Colts to draft to learn from Ryan.  Good for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It is all a crapshoot in the NFL Draft. Being lucky is a huge key. Mahomes went 13-19 as a college starter and was erratic and inconsistent. He wasn't even projected to go in round 1 by many. I will guarantee you not 1 person in here or anyone said before that draft, Mahomes would be as great as a Brady or Manning. Chiefs took a chance and lucked out, just like the Pats taking Brady in Round 6, and Purdy gets picked last. Lynch makes all these blunders at picking QB's, then just says, what the hell, lets take Purdy, he will get us to a SB and I know it - yeah right, and I have swamp land I want to sell someone for 1 million dollars - unreal luck!
    • I'm far behind in player Evaluations, but I'd say a couple of things.   While the testing and drills at the Combine are very important, and let the fans see what would otherwise be available to only teams up close, I'd be wary of not taking Combine, senior Bowl, etc., over the college tape. Combine measurements should supplement in player Evaluations and should not be taken at the forefront.   The way some players got moved up multiple rounds after their performance in senior Bowl and subsequent player rankings and mock drafts are cautionary tales, but it would continue to happen after Combine too.   It's very important to make sure the player checks all the boxes or as much as possible but essentially play on the field, and what we get from Combine does surely factor into some of the boxes.   That's one of the reasons I don't speak much in praise of Ballard (not against either, but just holding back judgement) due to his propensity to have players check boxes essentially on player measurements, metrics, size, arm lengths, athleticism and RAS scores.    As long as better Combine performance moves up players few spots on same round or day, I'd be okay with it.   When a player shoots up multiple rounds up or down the board or too much to get close to Day 1/2 all of a sudden, based on Combine measurements, I'd be wary of those evaluations. 
    • A large part of vocal Vikings fans in the popular forum are homers, and if we get another Christian Ponder, they'd spend two or more years hyping him up as better than Kirk Cousins.. in fact, they spent more than half a decade saying Kirk will take next step and be a force in playoffs or important games. Funnily, he started playing more freely only in last two years as he has achieved enough financial freedom and he ended up injured, which is why Kirk has been very careful to not get injured for most of his career at the expense of making plays outside the structure. Kirk is pretty smart taking care of his career and earnings and subsequent contracts heavily favored on his terms, and fans didn't realize, some even now.    The reason I'm saying all that is respectability is very subjective. I don't know what's worse for the respectability than not even sniffing play-off success for decades save for a year or two here and there and having won no SBs in 6 decades but just being a Middling team year after year, not picking even close to either top 5 or bottom 5 in the draft.    It's better to lose QB and WR, if it helps find a franchise QB for Vikings. Like Bears, Vikings franchise QB history is only good for homers. There's nothing worse than being perennial average team, and trying to find FUN in the season. Vikings don't have an RB and run game too, after discarding Dalvin Cook needlessly.   I'd say respectability be damned, be absolute worst if you've to, and only focus Vikings should have is finding their franchise QB. If this GM is not looking seriously at that, I'm not sure what their plan will be. This GM has looked like running headless chicken so far, but he's got good HC and DC for now. Let's see what they do, but they don't need to sell the farm to find franchise QB, they just need to have sole focus in finding one in next few years and grab the opportunity with both hands when it is presented or do make necessary moves to get that opportunity present itself.    Having said that, we talk about trading JJ only because he's made some statements and has been visibly upset or get lonely during losses or when the team is gonna miss playoffs. If Diggs does the same, they'd call him absolute Diva but JJ has made more scathing remarks publicly so we're thinking it may not be good idea to have an elite WR get disgruntled every year and Rather help him get to a contender (Like Texans as you said) and utilize the return in finding a franchise QB. 
    • I do want to follow this up with, If I see someone that really wow's me, I would consider taking them over Bowers. You have to be open minded in this thing and study different area's. I just see Bowers as a can't miss. If Bowers and Odunze both are there at #15, I would be 50/50 on who to take. I doubt both will be there though.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...