Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The conditional 3rd wound Wentz pick

twfish

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interested in reading Howell is looking pretty good.  I didn’t know that.  He’s the Quarterback I wanted the Colts to draft to learn from Ryan.  Good for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/08/13/carson-wentz-commanders-panthers/

Here's a good read on him. He's got potential to be a starter as long as the organization supports him and adapts to his strengths.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Their already in a bad situation. Some would argue Reich should have been fired for selling the team on Wentz. Ballard never wanted him. However, Irsay isn't the type to make knee-jerk decisions 

Ballard never wanted him is a view proven by NOBODY    It’s little more than internet gossip.   Find me something that proves that.   And the some would argue comment is fan message board nonsense. 

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would say that employees rights laws should require that employers use similar due processes if your employer chooses to have wide ranging disciplinary powers.   Want to discipline conduct, have the proper due processes.  After all, laws aren't designed to perpetuate the image of the country but to treat people fairly, whereas a company establishes rules to perpetuate an image they think will ultimately support revenue.  As it is now, they can use employees personal conduct as a way to advertise their righteousness.  Seems inherently illegal to me, but nobody has figured it out yet or are scared to pursue it.  

Most large companies have personal conduct policies.   I'm guessing all contract employees do.   If they don't like it,  go get employed elsewhere 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't follow all of the drama of the NFL as closely as others.  How is Snyder the worst owner in football?  He made some headlines about 10 years ago, but I haven't heard of anything he's been terrible at that isn't a matter of personal opinion.  Most of these owners have idiosyncrasies that score high on the "weird guy" card with me, even Irsay, and if I sat down and chatted with many, it sounds like I'd disagree with them about a lot of things.

The Redskins seem to have a decent team and their players stay out of trouble as much as any team's do, IMO.

Google this:   Controversy, Dan Snyder.

Here’s what you’ll find….

That he’s being investigated, not just by the NFL, but also by Congress….  For the following….   Possibly having two sets of books, and cheating his fellow 31 owners out of revenue that was to be shared. 

That the culture in the organization widely allowed sexual harassment.   Worse, that when that was investigated, Snyder hired a team of lawyers and private investigators to harass and intimidate both the the real investigators, witnesses and even the victims themselves.  

Honestly, this was worse than I expected to find.   And if true, I think he’s done.   He’ll likely be forced out.   Culture and sexual harassment are one thing, stealing money from fellow owners is another.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Google this:   Controversy, Dan Snyder.

Here’s what you’ll find….

That he’s being investigated, not just by the NFL, but also by Congress….  For the following….   Possibly having two sets of books, and cheating his fellow 31 owners out of revenue that was to be shared. 

That the culture in the organization widely allowed sexual harassment.   Worse, that when that was investigated, Snyder hired a team of lawyers and private investigators to harass and intimidate both the the real investigators, witnesses and even the victims themselves.  

Honestly, this was worse than I expected to find.   And if true, I think he’s done.   He’ll likely be forced out.   Culture and sexual harassment are one thing, stealing money from fellow owners is another.  

It seems like most of it has been resolved as far as its impact on the team or organization is concerned.  The way that I read your comment made it seem like you would hold a grudge against the Washington football team as long as Snyder owned it.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard never wanted him is a view proven by NOBODY    It’s little more than internet gossip.   Find me something that proves that.   And the some would argue comment is fan message board nonsense. 

At about the 1:49 spot, Ballard literally says "we knew we wanted him."

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not internet gossip. Reich said in one of those colts backstage videos that he went to Ballard and had to convince him he could fix Wentz after Ballard watched the tape and came away unimpressed 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It seems like most of it has been resolved as far as its impact on the team or organization is concerned.  The way that I read your comment made it seem like you would hold a grudge against the Washington football team as long as Snyder owned it.

Well….   I’m not a Commanders fan or a fan of Snyder.   I’m just a fan of the NFL in general. 

Who cares what I think?

But your first post to me was that you haven't followed this story closely and referenced some trouble for Snyder 10 years ago.   So I write a post explaining and in less than two minutes you’ve done a search that reveals the problems are all resolved and there’s nothing to this story.   Is that really your view?

That’s mighty impressive. 

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's not internet gossip. Reich said in one of those colts backstage videos that he went to Ballard and had to convince him he could fix Wentz after Ballard watched the tape and came away unimpressed 

I think that’s your interpretation of what was said.    

56 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I would like to see that video or article.

This article all but disproves your claim

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2021/05/06/colts-chris-ballard-carson-wentz-trade-matthew-stafford/

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I would like to see that video or article.

This article all but disproves your claim

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2021/05/06/colts-chris-ballard-carson-wentz-trade-matthew-stafford/

All that article discuss is the importance of HC QB relationship. It doesn't disprove anything and I'm not gonna spend hours on Twitter trying to find some random video for 10 second cameo that you guys will twist it to something else and this argument continues endlessly.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

All that article discuss is the importance of HC QB relationship. It doesn't disprove anything and I'm not gonna spend hours on Twitter trying to find some random video for 10 second cameo that you guys will twist it to something else and this argument continues endlessly.

He said Stafford was the only other QB he had interest in.  

50 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok so how does that disprove that Reich needed to convince him to pursue Wentz?

Im sure Ballard had to be convinced to some degree.    Wentz was clearly not the same guy who had been in the league MVP discussions in Philly.    Philly was ready to give up on him.   There were Red Flags on Wentz.    I have no doubt that Reich had to convince Ballard to a degree that he could fix whatever was broken with Wentz.   That Frank could turn him back into an MVP level player — or hopefully close to that.   

But all the above is a long LONG way to Ballard not wanting Wentz, which is your position.   That Frank had to change Ballard’s mind on Wentz.   I think if Ballard was convinced that Wentz could not be restored, he’d never have traded for him.   It’s one thing to be cautious or even have doubts, and it’s another to flat out not want the guy and need to be 180 degrees changed.  

I think you’ve made way too much out of way too little. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im sure Ballard had to be convinced to some degree.    Wentz was clearly not the same guy who had been in the league MVP discussions in Philly.    Philly was ready to give up on him.   There were Red Flags on Wentz.    I have no doubt that Reich had to convince Ballard to a degree that he could fix whatever was broken with Wentz.   That Frank could turn him back into an MVP level player — or hopefully close to that.   

But all the above is a long LONG way to Ballard not wanting Wentz, which is your position.   That Frank had to change Ballard’s mind on Wentz.   I think if Ballard was convinced that Wentz could not be restored, he’d never have traded for him.   It’s one thing to be cautious or even have doubts, and it’s another to flat out not want the guy and need to be 180 degrees changed.  

I think you’ve made way too much out of way too little. 

I didn't say Ballard didn't want Wentz. I said Reich had to convince him. From everything I've read, Ballard thought he had a deal with the Lions for Stafford so much so that Stafford even said he and his wife were looking for homes in Indy. However, the Rams came in with a ridiculous deal that Ballard was never gonna match.

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I didn't say Ballard didn't want Wentz. I said Reich had to convince him. From everything I've read, Ballard thought he had a deal with the Lions for Stafford so much so that Stafford even said he and his wife were looking for homes in Indy. However, the Rams came in with a ridiculous deal that Ballard was never gonna match.

Your post

"Their already in a bad situation. Some would argue Reich should have been fired for selling the team on Wentz. Ballard never wanted him. However, Irsay isn't the type to make knee-jerk decisions "

This seems like a pointless fight.  No matter how he got here Wentz came here.  What’s important is that after one year the brain trust all agreed he needed to go and turned it into something no one would have believed could have happened at the time.  They recovered well from the mistake.  That’s what matters.  Assigning blame is pointless.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Their already in a bad situation. Some would argue Reich should have been fired for selling the team on Wentz. Ballard never wanted him. However, Irsay isn't the type to make knee-jerk decisions 

Look at your post above to me from 3+ hours ago.   You literally wrote the sentence “Ballard never wanted him.”

Tough to have a debate or discussion when you don’t even remember what you’ve written. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at your post above to me from 3+ hours ago.   You literally wrote the sentence “Ballard never wanted him.”

Tough to have a debate or discussion when you don’t even remember what you’ve written. 

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Your post

"Their already in a bad situation. Some would argue Reich should have been fired for selling the team on Wentz. Ballard never wanted him. However, Irsay isn't the type to make knee-jerk decisions "

And then I posted Reich had to convince him. Even you provided an article stating Ballard wanted Stafford so what are we arguing?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

And then I posted Reich had to convince him. Even you provided an article stating Ballard wanted Stafford so what are we arguing?

Ahhh….   No.   I provided no such article.   That was someone else.  

And we’re debating the fantasy that Ballard never wanted Wentz.   That Reich had to convince him from not being a buyer to being a buyer.   I said it was nonsense that’s never been proven and you’re still trying to prove it.

Of course Ballard wanted Stafford, but not at the price Detroit was asking.    But that doesn’t prove that Ballard never wanted Wentz.   

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….  But how in the world do you AS A COLTS FAN ask that question?!?    CARSON Wentz messed the bed.   We dealt with it.  So if it looks like Wentz is the problem, it’ll be obvious to everyone. 

Angry fans is not a good reason to make decisions.   Angry owner is another story.  Making the best of a bad situation AS THE COLTS DID is the best answer. 

It can be a great reason. . . if they stop coming to games. 

Lifelong cub fan.  One of the reasons cited for so much ineptitude in the org for so long is fans kept coming anyway.

NFL has all that sharing anyway so it doesn't matter as much.   But fan bases to have some power if they quit coming, and buying 15 dollar beers. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And we’re debating the fantasy that Ballard never wanted Wentz.   That Reich had to convince him from not being a buyer to being a buyer.   I said it was nonsense that’s never been proven and you’re still trying to prove it.

Of course Ballard wanted Stafford, but not at the price Detroit was asking.    But that doesn’t prove that Ballard never wanted Wentz.   

Not you. Jvan. I quoted two posts

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm pretty sure I recall Reich saying something to the effect that he stuck his neck out for Wentz.  That bit of info could be used as the basis of a sound argument, that Ballard had to be sold.  Irsay can't get over the guy.  

Aint gonna get much from coach/GM speak NCF.  There seems to be evidence pointing toward Reich being the catalyst behind the deal. 

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Your post

SOme would argue jvan.  Some would argue.  There is nuance in sound arugmentation.

45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This seems like a pointless fight.  No matter how he got here Wentz came here.  What’s important is that after one year the brain trust all agreed he needed to go and turned it into something no one would have believed could have happened at the time.  They recovered well from the mistake.  That’s what matters.  Assigning blame is pointless.

Well these hall monitors are fun to banter with. lol

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Legalism.  Serves no purpose.  Now back to class.  Your hall monitor period is over.   The Gotcha game is boring.  This is a place for speculation among other things. 

Turn in your mall cop badge.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Legalism.  Serves no purpose.  Now back to class.  Your hall monitor period is over.   The Gotcha game is boring.  This is a place for speculation among other things. 

Turn in your mall cop badge.

What the  #%^*  are you talking about?  

I don’t know, but I’m quite confident you don’t either,  so don’t waste your time answering it. 

This has been another complete waste of time with a poster who refuses to ever acknowledge he’s wrong, no matter how many people in the same thread explain it to him.   This has happened all spring and summer to the same poster.   

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What the  #%^*  are you talking about?  

I don’t know, but I’m quite confident you don’t either,  so don’t waste your time answering it. 

This has been another complete waste of time with a poster who refuses to ever acknowledge he’s wrong, no matter how many people in the same thread explain it to him.   This has happened all spring and summer to the same poster.   

How is he wrong?  It seems from certain evidence that Reich was the catalyst behind Wentz coming here.

And to be honest with you NCF, it seems pretty obvious that it's likely the case that Reich influenced CB and JI to bring in CW.

And if not, what are you so mall coppish on it for. Just dude's opinion.

Getting a third is set in stone.  

Getting a second is "iffy" - but - only time will tell.

We've already gained SO SO SO SO much from this trade - that if it stays a third - I will still be grateful that the Commanders were ready to cough up TWO draft picks for a player who may "cough up" their season hopes.

Good luck to Carson Wentz.  Giggle giggle.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

How is he wrong?  It seems from certain evidence that Reich was the catalyst behind Wentz coming here.

And to be honest with you NCF, it seems pretty obvious that it's likely the case that Reich influenced CB and JI to bring in CW.

And if not, what are you so mall coppish on it for. Just dude's opinion.

Read my posts.   I’ve already made my arguments.   I’m not repeating the same arguments to you that I made to him.   You and I are nit far off.  Just like I wasn’t far off with the other poster.    But once he couldn’t even remember what he said, there was no point going any further.   Same here.   Re-read my posts.   You’ll know what I think.   Otherwise let’s call it a day. 

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

Getting a third is set in stone.  

Getting a second is "iffy" - but - only time will tell.

We've already gained SO SO SO SO much from this trade - that if it stays a third - I will still be grateful that the Commanders were ready to cough up TWO draft picks for a player who may "cough up" their season hopes.

Good luck to Carson Wentz.  Giggle giggle.

If's and buts...lol!  It is the preseason for goodness sake!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Read my posts.   I’ve already made my arguments.   I’m not repeating the same arguments to you that I made to him.   You and I are nit far off.  Just like I wasn’t far off with the other poster.    But once he couldn’t even remember what he said, there was no point going any further.   Same here.   Re-read my posts.   You’ll know what I think.   Otherwise let’s call it a day. 

You just seem kinda mean about it .

30 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I’m rooting for Washington and Carson. Both parties have had a lot of failure recently, and it would be nice to see them have success for once.

Glad Wentz is gone.  Nothing good was going to happen here, and he either just doesn’t get certain things or is stubborn.  He also seems to lack leadership skills or something.  He played through pain and * poor pass blocking here.

However, he has been made the scapegoat of this franchise and just gets blasted and handles himself with restraint and class.  I really wish our teenage girl of an owner would just quit referencing the dude.  He’s gone.  Just shut up.  Enough already.

Also, I could see Wentz increasing their win total.  He has a howitzer of an arm and will have a much better set of weapons and better pass blocking there, than he had here last year.  They were decent with a guy who was close to not being an NFL player at QB last year.  I don’t think he would work here but he might there.

Don't have anything against the dude but that left handed Pick 6 on the busted screen.  That was a personal insult to me and all football fans everywhere.

55 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I’m rooting for Washington and Carson. Both parties have had a lot of failure recently, and it would be nice to see them have success for once.

umm thats a hard no for me ..lol.. grew up a Colts fan in early 80's around family full of 'Skins fans, their glory years.

43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You just seem kinda mean about it .

A comment like this needs a long response, which I’m NOT going to give.   No upside, and way too much downside.

So, I’ll give the simplest comment….  

There’s recent history here that you don’t know.  

Archived