Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Bill (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not as optimistic as you are in some areas lol. 

I'm in a wait and see mode in several. And a prove me wrong mode until I see something different in a few. 

Doesn't really matter. If we're good, everyone (most anyway) will be happy and forget about a lot of the stuff. If we're not, the same conversations will be had.

Perhaps we need a "Colts Negative" thread to go along with the "Colts Positive" thread lol.... It would be a safe place for all the neg nancies to vent. I don't think the Colts Positive thread has kept the sunshine pumpers from pumping sunshine in normal threads though :funny:

Here’s the thing I’ve learned, 98 percent of the time, it’s never as bad as it looks nor as good as it sounds. I see potential to make a run, I also see potential to collapse to a Jags type of season(see what I did there?). Gonna be an up and down year most likely

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree some perhaps are overly negative, but most are simply communicating what they saw, good and bad. Now if you're making long term assumptions based on one preseason game, that's not good. If you're seeing the same issues as last year, then concern is fair. But it's a board, so really, what do you expect lol... 

Folks falling out over a little early criticism need a safe space thread lol. Oh wait, we already have one puppy dogs and rainbows thread pinned lol. 

rainbow-dog.gif

What's funny is there have been a lot of observations, praise and hype coming from TC all offseason. So to play the "it's just a preseason game" is a bit inconsistent IMO.

But to your point, we obviously can't jump to major conclusions about the team either.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Losing pre season games doesn't bother me at all.   No big deal. 

The Hines up the gut plays were again concerning.  

Forget the fact that it was Hines.   Taylor didn’t play, and we like running up the gut as a rule.    The Colts have TWO new OL.   They need to find out what the ‘22 OL can and can’t do.   We’re going to run up the gut against Detroit this week in practice and in PS3 as well.   It’s who we are and what we do.  Reich has announced Taylor won’t play the entire pre-season.  But our OL has to be ready when the regular season starts. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Forget the fact that it was Hines.   Taylor didn’t play, and we like running up the gut as a rule.    The Colts have TWO new OL.   They need to find out what the ‘22 OL can and can’t do.   We’re going to run up the gut against Detroit this week in practice and in PS3 as well.   It’s who we are and what we do.  Reich has announced Taylor won’t play the entire pre-season.  But our OL has to be ready when the regular season starts. 

I guess I can understand that the OL still needs to practice runs up the gut.  I just wish we would use someone other than Hines for it.  We already know he is only good for 1 yard or less in the majority of those runs.  Also, Reich has ran Hines up the gut for a long time now so it is one of his go to moves for some reason.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And since Ballard has never gotten the Colts a backup RB that is on the bigger side, our primary APB will be the one running it up the gut.  As always.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

I guess I can understand that the OL still needs to practice runs up the gut.  I just wish we would use someone other than Hines for it.  We already know he is only good for 1 yard or less in the majority of those runs.  Also, Reich has ran Hines up the gut for a long time now so it is one of his go to moves for some reason.

Which RB are we supposed to use to do that?

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Remember, in the Buffalo game, Hines had 7 yards on one carry up the gut (LG) and had another that was supposed to go off RG, but Hines bounced it and ran off RT for 14 yards.  

The idea that Hines never had a good run up the middle is more myth than fact.   Does Frank use it too much?   Yes, for my liking.   But from time to time it works and Hines pops off a good run.   But it’s pre-season and there are things to work on.   

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

also, Reich has ran Hines up the gut for a long time now so it is one of his go to moves for some reason

trying to out smart everyone.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Which RB are we supposed to use to do that?

Lindsey, Tyson seem to be a couple good options. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember, in the Buffalo game, Hines had 7 yards on one carry up the gut (LG) and had another that was supposed to go off RG, but Hines bounced it and ran off RT for 14 yards.  

The idea that Hines never had a good run up the middle is more myth than fact.   Does Frank use it too much?   Yes, for my liking.   But from time to time it works and Hines pops off a good run.   But it’s pre-season and there are things to work on.   

The 14ydr was a draw, which makes more sense with Hines.

Dives, not so much.

I think most people were frustrated with it in the preseason game because, well, it was a preseason game, put the other 5 RBs in and let them get some action. Just risking Hines health by continually pounding him.

We have seen enough of Hines up the middle.  I fully expect to be yelling at my TV during the regular season about this as well.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's why I said "the majority of times".   I've seen him successful a few times up the gut, it is just more likely that he is stuffed.  

1 minute ago, w87r said:

The 14ydr was a draw, which makes more sense with Hines.

Dives, not so much.

I think most people were frustrated with it in the preseason game because, well, it was a preseason game, put the other 5 RBs in and let them get some action. Just risking Hines health by continually pounding him.

We have seen enough of Hines up the middle.  I fully expect to be yelling at my TV during the regular season about this as well.

I have no issue with those who are frustrated with it.   I’m one of those people too.   As for the draw, I must have glanced away at the start of the play, I saw Hines heading toward RG and cut right.   I was only responding to those who think it never works.  

What baffles me, is that we are so analytics driven, we must have stats on the success/fail rate and yet we still seem to run it far more than one would think we should.   Goal line, short yardage, Frank loves it.   I wish someone would ask him about it (respectfully)  and get an answer.   

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

trying to out smart everyone.

Lindsey, Tyson seem to be a couple good options. 

Maybe this year Ballard will keep a backup RB that weighs over 210 lbs.  Plenty of them around the NFL and college.

Lindsay must be seen as a back up to our APB.  At 5'8, 190, not really a backup up the gut guy.

Who is best for short yardage other than JT, since our coach likes to go for it on 4th downs?

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe this year Ballard will keep a backup RB that weighs over 210 lbs.  Plenty of them around the NFL and college.

Lindsay must be seen as a back up to our APB.  At 5'8, 190, not really a backup up the gut guy.

Who is best for short yardage other than JT, since our coach likes to go for it on 4th downs?

Yeah but Lindsey runs hard and with low pads, so he can push the pile. Guess I'm saying he plays bigger than he is.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no issue with those who are frustrated with it.   I’m one of those people too.   As for the draw, I must have glanced away at the start of the play, I saw Hines heading toward RG and cut right.   I was only responding to those who think it never works.  

What baffles me, is that we are so analytics driven, we must have stats on the success/fail rate and yet we still seem to run it far more than one would think we should.   Goal line, short yardage, Frank loves it.   I wish someone would ask him about it (respectfully)  and get an answer.   

Yeah, like I said I just think Frank takes the opposite end of those analytics and tries to out smart the defense. Out smarting himself, usually.

And yeah, been yelling at Frank for couple years about Hines up the middle.

Will it work sometimes? Yes, but majority of times it is a wasted play that sets us behind the chains.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

That's why I said "the majority of times".   I've seen him successful a few times up the gut, it is just more likely that he is stuffed.  

Using pro-football reference i came up with this.

Hines rushed 56 times in 2021.

10 rushes for 10+ yds avg for those approx. 13.5 yds

46 rushes avg 3 yds.

Historically, about 50% of any given NFL Team's rushes will be between the guards. 
  Hines has a very high rate of getting his 3 yds, that is few tackles for losses.
  2nd and 7 isn't a bad position to be in compared to 2nd and 12,  lol

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah but Lindsey runs hard and with low pads, so he can push the pile. Guess I'm saying he plays bigger than he is.

Frank has said that we are not playing JT all preseason.  So who will be taking his place?  Seems to me that we do not want to get our primary APB injured by running a bunch of JT plays.

It goes back to the statements in previous years of seeing the Rbs as interchangeable, when an APB is not really an up the gut RB like JT is.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Meh it’s one play. Now if that becomes the norm, then I’m gonna be the first pounding the table to let Nelson go. That said, I’m not surprised, Nelson has had back issues last year and if that is still lingering, we may have to move on. As sad as it is

It’s not lingering. He said he feels 100% which he hasn’t in a couple years. Nelson lost his balance on that play everyone is trashing him for.

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I just hope they whoop on KC this time around 

There are so many good to borderline great teams in the AFC that is tough to call who the best team is. If I had to choose I would probably say the Bills. Now I have us making the AFC Title Game and playing them but that doesn't mean the Colts are #2. I think because of the division we play in, we will win the South and get a high seed is why I like our chances going deep. We have a good QB and good team though otherwise I wouldn't pick us to do much, but the whole AFC West is loaded and Cincy is the Conference Champ as of now. We just need to win our division games and the rest will take care of itself.

Playoff teams will probably be - Bills, Colts, Chiefs, Bengals, Chargers, Broncos, Ravens. Raiders maybe?? but that would be 4 teams from the West. Finally this will be a season where I think the Pats, Steelers, and Titans are out of luck.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are so many good to borderline great teams in the AFC that is tough to call who the best team is. If I had to choose I would probably say the Bills. Now I have us making the AFC Title Game and playing them but that doesn't mean the Colts are #2. I think because of the division we play in, we will win the South and get a high seed is why I like our chances going deep. We have a good QB and good team though otherwise I wouldn't pick us to do much, but the whole AFC West is loaded and Cincy is the Conference Champ as of now. We just need to win our division games and the rest will take care of itself.

Playoff teams will probably be - Bills, Colts, Chiefs, Bengals, Chargers, Broncos, Ravens. Raiders maybe?? but that would be 4 teams from the West. Finally this will be a season where I think the Pats, Steelers, and Titans are out of luck.

I would probably have the Chiefs as the best team in the AFC but I don't think they win as many games as the Bills because their division is the toughest in the NFL.   It's too hard for me to guess who the last couple playoff teams will be.  The west will beat each other up so they may only get 2.  The Pats or Titans may sneak in.   A few teams that I think will not make the playoffs for certain are:

Texans

Jags

Browns

Jets

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I would probably have the Chiefs as the best team in the AFC but I don't think they win as many games as the Bills because their division is the toughest in the NFL.   It's too hard for me to guess who the last couple playoff teams will be.  The west will beat each other up so they may only get 2.  The Pats or Titans may sneak in.   A few teams that I think will not make the playoffs for certain are:

Texans

Jags

Browns

Jets

I don't see the Steelers or Dolphins making it either on the for sure list. I get Tomlin is a great coach but their offense will be average at best with the QB they have. Dolphins won't make it either, they are the 3rd best team in that division alone. I think only 1 team makes it from the AFC South and AFC East and my money would be on the Colts and Bills to do so.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hate Hines up the gut and don’t see it being a play with a high success rate. I guess the only real explanation is wanting to keep the defense honest, which has some merit of course. If he never runs the ball defenses are going to notice that and stop defending it. 

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hate Hines up the gut and don’t see it being a play with a high success rate. I guess the only real explanation is wanting to keep the defense honest, which has some merit of course. If he never runs the ball defenses are going to notice that and stop defending it. 

I would lmao if the 1st play in the regular season is Hines up the gut and he takes it 75 yards for a TD haha . Most in here would be speechless.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would lmao if the 1st play in the regular season is Hines up the gut and he takes it 75 yards for a TD haha . Most in here would be speechless.

Still be yelling at the TV "why isn't Taylor in"

If Hines gets the 1st carry of the season, I will be losing my mind. I don't care what he does with it.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:41 PM, Smonroe said:

No one should confuse preseason games with regular season games.  But every year lots do.  

There’s no game planning, there’s evaluation.  

Heck I'd be less concerned if we both game planned but the Bills game plan was better and that was the difference. What it sounds like you (and others are saying) is the Bills and Colts both just showed up to play football with no game plan and the Bills #2 was better than the Colts #1s. That's far more concerning than a bad game plan or strategy. 

26 minutes ago, w87r said:

Still be yelling at the TV "why isn't Taylor in"

If Hines gets the 1st carry of the season, I will be losing my mind. I don't care what he does with it.

I will hedge this by saying, of Taylor and Hines in on the field together and it is an end around by Hines, I won't be as grumpy.

1 hour ago, tncoltsfan57 said:

My biggest observation is that we have a very thin receiving corps. I don't see how we're going to get to the next level without  more talented receivers. We keep changing quarterbacks but in defense to Rivers and even Wentz they had C- receivers to throw to. IMHO

This continues to be an issue imo.  Everybody knows it.  I don’t see how Ballard can not make a move to improve it.  One player who I think is a possibility is Nelson Agholor of the Pats.  He’s 29 and has played for Reich before.  I read where he is listed as a potential trade candidate at final cutdown.  Was so so last year but two years ago had a great year with Carr and the Raiders.  I think he would be a good addition if OBJ is not possible.  Hopefully Ballard does something to improve our WR group.

16 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Heck I'd be less concerned if we both game planned but the Bills game plan was better and that was the difference. What it sounds like you (and others are saying) is the Bills and Colts both just showed up to play football with no game plan and the Bills #2 was better than the Colts #1s. That's far more concerning than a bad game plan or strategy. 

No, I’m saying the game plan was to evaluate our players, and to show nothing.   Which is the normal game plan for all teams in the preseason.  

As you saw, the runs were straight plays and the passes were basically one on one routes.  No scheming by either team.  

D played simple.  They looked pretty good after the first series.   

What really cracked me up was the people upset we lost the game after having a lead.  Like those guys in the 4th Q will even be on the 53.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This continues to be an issue imo.  Everybody knows it.  I don’t see how Ballard can not make a move to improve it.  One player who I think is a possibility is Nelson Agholor of the Pats.  He’s 29 and has played for Reich before.  I read where he is listed as a potential trade candidate at final cutdown.  Was so so last year but two years ago had a great year with Carr and the Raiders.  I think he would be a good addition if OBJ is not possible.  Hopefully Ballard does something to improve our WR group.

Yeah I listed top available FA options and trade options in the separation thread I believe?

Had Agholar, Robbie Anderson, Jakobi Meyers and ..... Cant remember the 4th guy as potential trade targets.

Oh yeah, it was Jalen Reagar as 4th guy.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What really cracked me up was the people upset we lost the game after having a lead.  Like those guys in the 4th Q will even be on the 53.

Yeah that one poster had me going. He was adamant Frank wanted to lose cause he took Sam out and put Coan in.

Tell me, how would the 1st preseason game with this matchup look.....if the Colts were retaining a star QB and not having to learn a new offense? And the Bills had a new QB. Do you think that training camp for the two teams would have been likely switched?

Perhaps Buffalo is the better team...at this point....and part of that is because they got more of their #2's involved earlier than the Colts, because they are mostly polishing their last years roster. In one on ones, It showed. 

Just a thought. If the one on ones look the same in the first half of the first regular season game, then there is more of a cause for concern. In the end, I want a healthy team looking sharp in the last quarter of the upcoming season. In the meantime, I choose to feel good about what looked good so far.

The entire defense, and the TE's. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see the Steelers or Dolphins making it either on the for sure list. I get Tomlin is a great coach but their offense will be average at best with the QB they have. Dolphins won't make it either, they are the 3rd best team in that division alone. I think only 1 team makes it from the AFC South and AFC East and my money would be on the Colts and Bills to do so.

I don't have the Steelers or Dolphins as definite make or miss the playoffs teams.   I don't think they will make the playoffs but I wouldn't be incredibly surprised we they won a couple games they were not expected to and slipped in.   

Archived