Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Bill (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think we eventually see Phillip Lindsay get those inside zone plays instead of Hines. (not that he will completely take all his snaps)

Rainmann looks like a third round rookie and got bullied repeatedly. It is clear he will not be a starter for quite some time.

34 with another interception

Sam Ehlinger is better than most people on this forum thought. Confirmed.

Dayo looks healthy and got quite a bit of pressure. 

Yup, Lindsay is the much better choice in those situations. Not sure why the need to over-use Hines in the running game. We already know what he's good at and brings. He's a lock, so why not see what the other guys bring.

Raimann will need time. Folks that expected him to start were silly from the get go. Needs a year of S and C....

Ehlinger did great. He got to play more backyard ball, which he is good at. Ryan and Foles seemed much more scripted. 

Love Dayo. Good day for him. He needs to pay off this year. 

55 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s the 1st preseason game. Play calling is going to be vanilla for all phases. Why give anything away before the real season begins?

There’s plenty to work on and improve. Rather we figure out the problems now in August. The doom and gloomers will be here soon enough. I’m sure we’ll hear a lot about LT…

Listen I don't bye the argument on not giving anything away. Other teams put up points in pre season and thats a weak exacuse. They looked like crap. They looked lethargic and lacked any explosion on passing plays. If u came away from that display feeling good then that's good on u. I walked away feeling concerned. The lack of any plays down field reminded me so much of last year. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, don't agree, at all.

We know exactly what Hines brings. Just because JT is out, doesn't mean we have to overuse Hines. Use Lindsay or one of the other 5-6 RBs in those situations. Lindsay is the best up-the-gut RB if that's what we wanted to do. 

And that gives away zero.... 

true , best keep JT and  Hines out  all preseason games used others so we pick best back up rb.since matt ice is new too the colts should pay first half as well 1 team OL. need get exp and used too play together really hard get too a point of gelling as a group .

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, Lindsay is the much better choice in those situations. Not sure why the need to over-use Hines in the running game. We already know what he's good at and brings. He's a lock, so why not see what the other guys bring.

Raimann will need time. Folks that expected him to start were silly from the get go. Needs a year of S and C....

Ehlinger did great. He got to play more backyard ball, which he is good at. Ryan and Foles seemed much more scripted. 

Love Dayo. Good day for him. He needs to pay off this year. 

I didn't expect Rainmann to start, not saying others didnt... but he didn't look good at all. Combine that with the fact he was also playing backups, is kinda concerning. its not call the police concerning, but i expected him to do a little better than he did. I will add that he looked better in the run game compared to the pass game. seems like a common thing for lineman

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Listen I don't bye the argument on not giving anything away. Other teams put up points in pre season and thats a weak exacuse. They looked like crap. They looked lethargic and lacked any explosion on passing plays. If u came away from that display feeling good then that's good on u. I walked away feeling concerned. The lack of any plays down field reminded me so much of last year. 

Weak excuse. Okay. I guess you can spend the next 3 weeks sweating it out. I’m trying my best not to let this team get to me. If we completely crash and burn, what can I really do about it?

39 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Post Game Thoughts:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

First team offense did very little against Bills #2's.

Receivers had a terrible time getting separation.  Again.

Winning the turnover battle had very little relation to winning the game.  Again.

Love me some Isaiah Rodgers!

Love me some EJ Speed!

Love me some Sam Ehlinger!

I know it was our 3rd/4th string defense, but we couldn't hold a 2 TD lead with 8 minutes to go.  Again.

The "other" kicker missed an extra point.

There are some things to like from this game, and some things not to like.

I'd like more of the former, and less of the latter, please.

On the bolded, way too much shallow possession stuff. Hard to get separation on those when you're not testing the seam and level 2 and 3 areas. 

Love that pop Speed had in the 2Q. 

8 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

Sam was balling out  and  would scored . coen look like he was scared . i can,t blame him game was close alot pressure

honestly, the fourth quarter of preseason games is not about winning or losing...

it's about giving your bottom of the roster players snaps so you can get some film on them and evaluate what you got and if you need to move on from them, lots of guys shot themselves in the foot today. I could see lots of roster moves early next week.

Yeah, I kept saying put Sam back in but that's not what the preseason is about.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, don't agree, at all.

We know exactly what Hines brings. Just because JT is out, doesn't mean we have to overuse Hines. Use Lindsay or one of the other 5-6 RBs in those situations. Lindsay is the best up-the-gut RB if that's what we wanted to do. 

And that gives away zero.... 

Didn't u walk away feeling under whelmed by the D and O lines performance especially when they didn't play against the Bills starters? That's suppose to be the strength of this team based on draft capital.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

you got too remember  matty ice never play with this team and need alot more time in preseason get exp with this OL and get timing down why the need too put them in 1st quarter , coen in second quarter , 3 quarter mattyice   ,  sam in the 4 quarter. it will   give each one alot exp and too see were their at.

2 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

honestly, the fourth quarter of preseason games is not about winning or losing...

it's about giving your bottom of the roster players snaps so you can get some film on them and evaluate what you got and if you need to move on from them, lots of guys shot themselves in the foot today. I could see lots of roster moves early next week.

Yeah, I kept saying put Sam back in but that's not what the preseason is about.

always about winning because nfl football games . it a effect mentally the players  win are losing  , fact  why think bills try so hard too win. 

29 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Taking Sam out of the game didn't cause the Bills to score 3 times in 8 minutes.

And it has nothing to do with whether or not Frank Reich wants to win it or not.

They put Coan in during mop-up time to give him a chance to play, and show what he could do.  It turned out, not very much.  In the meantime, our bottom-of-the-depth-chart defensive guys allowed them to leap down the field and score at will.

The best thing I saw in that whole terrible final minute:  Gus Bradley blitzing on the final two plays.  Eberflus wouldn't have done that.  You go, Bradley.  Best thing that happened to this team this offseason.

Yup.

And let's face it. Coan is a UDFA to begin with. And he got uber conservative play calls. Short quick passes... that's it. He's not a dual threat like Sam, so wouldn't expect much from him in mop up time anyway. But yup, he didn't give 3 Bills scores lol. Our D did that. 

the corners that played in the 3rd and 4th quarter didn't do very good at all.

Overall, I'm hoping the performance we saw was more due to vanilla playcalling and overall letting people compete for roster spots. To be honest, looking back at the game briefly; most of our positions got outplayed in one form or another. 

I think Phillip Lindsay looked really good

30 minutes ago, ruf said:

who was the Problem on the OL? this is not good if our 1st were getting beat by their 2nd team DL

Of the starters, Smith was not his typical perfect self. Not worried though.

Kelly was not impressive at all to me. And that is a concern given his decline last season. 

Both those guys had key penalties too. 

Thought Nelson and Pryor did fine. Didn't notice any bad stuff from Pinter....

Of the backups, not impressed with any. Have to rewatch, but seem to recall Van Demark, Murray, and Kemp all getting abused at times. Seen some folks critical of Raiman. Not great from him, but thought others looked far worse.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup.

And let's face it. Coan is a UDFA to begin with. And he got uber conservative play calls. Short quick passes... that's it. He's not a dual threat like Sam, so wouldn't expect much from him in mop up time anyway. But yup, he didn't give 3 Bills scores lol. Our D did that. 

yes he did if qb fails too move the ball  , give right back too their  offence. sam would move the ball way better  used of the clock are at lest got a field  goal.

I was expecting more from the DL against their 2nd team.  Very disappointed there.  WR is a weakness that needs to be addressed.  No separation.  We really need a dangerous veteran added to the group. It’s a weakness that jumps right out.  Everyone knows it.  I was hoping Ryan would play more.  He needs the reps with his receivers imo.  I like Lindsay a lot.  He’s very good.  I was stuck watching with Bills announcers.  Very rarely heard a Colts player mentioned.  Agree Raiman is going to need time.  Pryor is the guy and I’m not worried really.  I think he will be fine.  I’m glad JT is not playing in the preseason.  Great move.  

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just not a lot route diversity in the 1Q or really 1H. Highly scripted, which you'd expect with Foles and Ryan in. But hated the script lol.

2H looked mostly unscripted, which is what you'd expect with your 3rd and 4th string QB and various other supporting cast. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Of the starters, Smith was not his typical perfect self. Not worried though.

Kelly was not impressive at all to me. And that is a concern given his decline last season. 

Both those guys had key penalties too. 

Thought Nelson and Pryor did fine. Didn't notice any bad stuff from Pinter....

Of the backups, not impressed with any. Have to rewatch, but seem to recall Van Demark, Murray, and Kemp all getting abused at times. Seen some folks critical of Raiman. Not great from him, but thought others looked far worse.

I think Kelly will be the first starter we move on from. IDK how soon it will be, but I suspect out of Nelson, Smith, and Kelly that we end up moving on from the center in the next couple of years. 

58 minutes ago, Semicolt said:

Don’t agree with some of the comments about Dayo looking good. When he played with the starters in the first quarter he was decent but they also had him playing the entire 4th quarter with the third string and didn’t have a sack. 

I agree. He made a play early, but in the 4th qtr, he couldnt do jack against the Bills 3rd stringers. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think Kelly will be the first starter we move on from. IDK how soon it will be, but I suspect out of Nelson, Smith, and Kelly that we end up moving on from the center in the next couple of years. 

A couple of contending teams have already lost their starting centers for the season.  Not saying Ballard would trade him now but you never know.

Frankly, both the Bills and the Colts looked unprepared for actual football (compared with the few other games I've watched). That was disappointing because it may indicate the same old same old.

That says nothing about the potential talent we have, which seems pretty good. They just don't seem to know how to use the talent they have.

20 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I didn't expect Rainmann to start, not saying others didnt... but he didn't look good at all. Combine that with the fact he was also playing backups, is kinda concerning. its not call the police concerning, but i expected him to do a little better than he did. I will add that he looked better in the run game compared to the pass game. seems like a common thing for lineman

There were several banging that drum. Not sure if it was just hype about Raimann, or unhappiness with Pryor, or both lol...

Raimann has great traits. But he's in big need of a year of S&C. He'll be at worst a good depth OT in time. 

I will say I thought the other OTs looked worse though lol. Not saying Raimann looked good in pass pro. But he did OK with wide edge rushers. Just didn't look good vs bull rushes to me. I'll have to pay more attention. I stopped my rewatch, but will rewatch later tonight or tomorrow. 

But one thing to keep in mind, the Bills DL, especially DE, is pretty deep. After Rousseau and Vonn Miller, you have Boogie Basham, AJ Epenesa, and Shaq Lawson. Those aren't your typical scrub DEs. 

45 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Ryan was in his third season with the colts and offense didn’t click I would be worried. We are a month away and we have a new QB still working out the kinks with his WR.

yes. that reason matty  ice play 1 st quarter and 3 rd quarter so he can  get used too his new group . real game is best get that needed exp and timing  with his offense .

18 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

yes he did if qb fails too move the ball  , give right back too their  offence. sam would move the ball way better  used of the clock are at lest got a field  goal.

lol.. Coan is a pure pocket passer. He's not going to play backyard ball or get creative like Sam. 

Our D was atrocious in the 4Q. Reich called 100% conservative plays when Coan came in. We were playing not to lose. 

Frankly I don't care about Coan. And I don't frankly care about the 4Q lol when the bottom of the roster is in. The over-reaction to Sam is pretty funny though. 

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was expecting more from the DL against their 2nd team.  Very disappointed there.  WR is a weakness that needs to be addressed.  No separation.  We really need a dangerous veteran added to the group. It’s a weakness that jumps right out.  Everyone knows it.  I was hoping Ryan would play more.  He needs the reps with his receivers imo.  I like Lindsay a lot.  He’s very good.  I was stuck watching with Bills announcers.  Very rarely heard a Colts player mentioned.  Agree Raiman is going to need time.  Pryor is the guy and I’m not worried really.  I think he will be fine.  I’m glad JT is not playing in the preseason.  Great move.  

Expected more from the DL too.

Pass catchers were fine. Routes and play calls early were uber conservative, and highly scripted. 

If you rewatch, pay special attention to the routes we ran in the 1Q, and compare that to what Dorsey called all game for Buffalo. They were much more vertical and middle. 

22 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

If he's not playing at a high level to start the season, need to move on early. Move Pinter to C, and figure out RG. 

Way too early to make that call though. Going to watch the OL closer later. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Sam Ehlinger over Foles at this point. Gotta wonder if Foles will be able to catchup throughout the next few weeks. 

I'm no big fan of Foles. But seemed obvious to me he was heavily scripted. Not much script in the 2H. 

Reich ain't going to break up with Foles. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I'm no big fan of Foles. But seemed obvious to me he was heavily scripted. Not much script in the 2H. 

Reich ain't going to break up with Foles. 

I don't think Foles has played good football in a long time. He's been on multiple teamsn now in a QB hungry league and he hasn't found success since that one year with Frank in Philly. I have been a supporter of Sam since he joined the team. I think what he lacks in certain areas he can makeup for with his athelticism and motor. When it comes to Foles he's got all the negatives of a pocket passer, with very few positives in terms of physical talent. I was actually surprised we signed him after Reich failed with his former lover Wentz. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:
  • DL - totally unimpressed with the 1st team group.... especially given Buf's OL isn't good to start with, and they were without their best OL (Saffold)

Outside of their long snapper and FG kicker Buffalo didn't have any starters play today (including their linemen).

3 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

Sam Ehlinger was balling it  then frank said  too him self let lose the game  . i need try coen as  QB.

I need to find my decoder ring.....

Archived