Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Bill (Pre Season) Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes you wonder, does the QB make the WR, or does the WR make the QB? I often think the QB makes the WR but there are some WR's that just stand out like Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, and Marvin did with unreal catches. Did Watson make Hopkins in Houston or was it the other way around? Browns will find out soon.

I mean more recently a guy like Justin Jefferson has come in and balled out with the Vikings. Cousins is probably a bit below Ryan, but then Jeffersen was picked 22nd overall. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

If I remember correctly, I think their gameplan was to allow both Mathis and Freeney to take themselves out of the play was it not?  Around that time I think their tendency was to spin inside a lot, which New England took advantage of

Neither came free off the line. Freeney had Guard and Tackle. Mathis had Tackle and RB or TE. It was easier to double up on the outside than up the middle pressure. 

While Smith wasn't drafted to take RT it worked out like that and he's played near pro bowl ability. When Pryor took over for Smith last year not alot of fall off except in the run game. Question is and was LT. With Pryor there, there is still that question.  With Q, Kelley and Smith playing middle 3 we may just have gained a guarantee 1/2 yard on every dive play. The fact is our OL has regressed.  Most likely personal changes and/or coaching. Losing Castanzo hurt more than some realize. Always available always a stud. Should've been pro bowl but never was. Kinda like Tariq Glenn.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he goes down we are screwed. We can't lose Matt Ryan, JT,  Hines, or Pittman. All 4 have to be healthy for us to accomplish big goals. 

you have zero elite wr  not even one. not going too win in the play off. .sure win 10 too 12 games lose in the play off.

21 hours ago, csmopar said:

Our OL is in serious trouble.

Yes it is. Here's our soon to be 100m guard getting man handled by a journey man DT Tim Settle.

I wonder if that's why Ballard is penny pinching at LT because of Nelson's impending contract?

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Yes it is. Here's our soon to be 100m guard getting man handled by a journey man DT Tim Settle.

I wonder if that's why Ballard is penny pinching at LT because of Nelson's impending contract?

just proves how out timing  the OL is new lt and new rg with a new Qb . need play all 3 preseason games get exp and too  gel at a group . 

15 hours ago, stitches said:

Buffalo has SOOoooo much talent. It's kind of obscene. And they have it at all the right places too. They are what I wish the Colts looked like, team building-wise. 

They do have a nice roster, but they definitely have some obvious holes. Their OL has been very suspect. I think the pickup of Saffold helps. IIRC, LB has also been problematic. 

Overall though, there are a lot of similarities in the rosters. I think the biggest difference though, is coaching and scheme. Dorsey took over at OC this year, but their tendencies in the passing game still look the same. Dorsey has been their QBC and PGC the last couple years, so not surprised. They attack vertically and in the seam, which I wish we would do more of... sigh... Shakir, who was one of my mid/late round draft gem WRs this year, looks like he's gonna fit right in. 

12 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That’s Reich for you. His playcalling isn’t an asset to this team. 

Felt like we picked up exactly where we stopped last year in terms of route calls lol.

I still haven't done the rewatch. Was too tired when I hit the pillow last night.

It's pre-season, so hopefully we'll see more as we go along. Not buying the general vanilla excuse though. 

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

GEE, I could title this as watch how a $100 M Guard takes a punch and miraculously regains his balance and continues to protect his QB.

Settle will want to show off this punch when he is old and retired, and while watching Q put on his GOLD Jacket.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Felt like we picked up exactly where we stopped last year in terms of route calls lol.

I still haven't done the rewatch. Was too tired when I hit the pillow last night.

It's pre-season, so hopefully we'll see more as we go along. Not buying the general vanilla excuse though. 

UH, it couldn't have been more Vanilla. The start was the #1's O-line and TE's were grinding in the run game, and our WR's got tough reps against Buffalo's physical man to man. Reich/Ryan then added more short routes to get the ball out quick. A Bunch of 3rd and 2-3 stuff.

These are the basic building blocks for a 60 minute game. VANILLA

9 hours ago, Nickster said:

I focused on LT play.  Pryor doesn’t look good enough.  The 56 guy was running circles around like Jaws.

Raimanns play deteriorated.  Early on he was doing fine on the speed rushes and getting knocked back when hit in the chest.  He was really good in the run game from what I saw.  Quickly getting hands in LBs.

toward the back third of his time he was getting abused.  He was probably setting inside because of issues with the bull/inside rush and later getting whipped around the end.

He’s a project but has the lateral movement and from what I saw was pretty darn good chasing LBs in the runs.  Do you know how he profiled as a run blocker?  I was impressed with that.

but IMO he’s not ready to play and Pryor is underwhelming to me at best.  I think that position could really hurt us.  Wonder if there’s a Voldheer out there?

I think you're talking about 55, not 56, which is Boogie Basham, and was the one giving LT fits a few times. He's good. He was a rook last season, picked in 2R. Love is 56, and is good (but injury plagued) too, but didn't notice him as much as Boogie. But yes, their DL is good, and deep. Not at all panicking right now on Pryor. I'll watch closer on the rewatch, but aside from a couple plays, thought he did pretty decent. 

Raimann will be fine in time. He's got good lateral movement, and is good technically. He'll struggle vs power though. Just give him a good year of weights and coaching. And yes, he's good in the run game. He led the team in snaps, so I like that they are getting them PT. But he'll need time. Folks that expected him to start this year were simply silly to start with. 

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Some of you disappoint me with your reactions to a week 1 preseason game. These are scrimmages lol

I agree, you should know it is par for the course.

Here you go, some in here after week 1 of a meaningless pre-season game:

-Same old Frank, going for it on 4th down, pink slip time-

*(eventhough Buffalo was doing the same thing because it is pre-season) cough/cough = all teams in all the games were doing it because it is pre-season.

-Hines up the middle-

*JT didn't play cough/cough = Hines being the 2nd best RB on the team is going to get more carries with JT out.

-Our WR's can't get any separation-

*Yeah after 1 pre-season game this has already been determined by some cough/cough.

-Our O.Line stinks- Did I leave anything out, if so please feel free to add 

This crap is comical after 1 pre-season game homer simpson laughing GIF

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

UH, it couldn't have been more Vanilla. The start was the #1's O-line and TE's were grinding in the run game, and our WR's got tough reps against Buffalo's physical man to man. Reich/Ryan then added more short routes to get the ball out quick. A Bunch of 3rd and 2-3 stuff.

These are the basic building blocks for a 60 minute game. VANILLA

I think the whole vanilla excuse is funny. If yesterday was vanilla, then our regular seasons for the past 3 years have also been full of vanilla lol....

What we saw yesterday from the 1st team was the same short possession routes we saw overused last season. So yes, they are basic building blocks to Reich's system lol. Point is, slants, 9s, etc. should be basic blocks in our system too (they are to almost every other team), but they are not. 

And what purpose does using Hines up the gut on short yardage serve? Is it something we haven't seen? Did we need to see it fail yet again? Do we not know exactly we have in Hines? And for all the talk about using him more in the passing game, we saw him lead the team in carries, and only targeted twice... same song, different game.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think you're talking about 55, not 56, which is Boogie Basham, and was the one giving LT fits a few times. He's good. He was a rook last season, picked in 2R. Love is 56, and is good (but injury plagued) too, but didn't notice him as much as Boogie. But yes, their DL is good, and deep. Not at all panicking right now on Pryor. I'll watch closer on the rewatch, but aside from a couple plays, thought he did pretty decent. 

Raimann will be fine in time. He's got good lateral movement, and is good technically. He'll struggle vs power though. Just give him a good year of weights and coaching. And yes, he's good in the run game. He led the team in snaps, so I like that they are getting them PT. But he'll need time. Folks that expected him to start this year were simply silly to start with. 

Could be 55.  If he was playing early downs I’m guessing it was.

good heavens what better name for a DE could there possibly be than Boogie Basham?

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Could be 55.  If he was playing early downs I’m guessing it was.

good heavens what better name for a DE could there possibly be than Boogie Basham?

Got his name (when he was a kid) because he likes to dance lol. And yup, awesome name. 

He's out of Wake. And he's Tarell's cousin. Tarell is the guy we drafted and cut early, that's turned out to be a decent depth guy (borderline starter for some teams). Probably should have hung onto him a bit longer. Boogie, IMO, will be better long term. Not saying superstar level or anything, but he'll make a decent paycheck for a decade. Hart, the other, has flash plays in him. He's been sidelined several years due to injury, might be catching fire competing for a spot....  so it could have been him too. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

*(eventhough Buffalo was doing the same thing because it is pre-season) cough/cough = all teams in all the games were doing it because it is pre-season.

-Hines up the middle-

*JT didn't play cough/cough = Hines being the 2nd best RB on the team is going to get more carries with JT out.

*Yeah after 1 pre-season game this has already been determined by some cough/cough.

Matt Ryan is toast the oline sucks and fire Ballard just cause.  

if these things are problems once the season starts yes they will deserve criticism but until they are not something anyone should be panicking over.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

-Hines up the middle-

I agree some perhaps are overly negative, but most are simply communicating what they saw, good and bad. Now if you're making long term assumptions based on one preseason game, that's not good. If you're seeing the same issues as last year, then concern is fair. But it's a board, so really, what do you expect lol... 

Folks falling out over a little early criticism need a safe space thread lol. Oh wait, we already have one puppy dogs and rainbows thread pinned lol. 

rainbow-dog.gif

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree some perhaps are overly negative, but most are simply communicating what they saw, good and bad. Now if you're making long term assumptions based on one preseason game, that's not good. If you're seeing the same issues as last year, then concern is fair. But it's a board, so really, what do you expect lol... 

Folks falling out over a little early criticism need a safe space thread lol. Oh wait, we already have one puppy dogs and rainbows thread pinned lol. 

rainbow-dog.gif

People can be critical all they want, me personally I just find it comical after 1 pre-season game to be critical of anything. It is a board so I have no problem with people complaining, this place would be boring without that lmao . Then again I have never cared about pre-season but some people are different. If we lose to the Texans on opening day then I will be right there with the nay-sayers being critical of our weak area's. It just seems to me some are salivating at every chance to bash the team or a certain player or Frank no matter what. 

I know how it is in here so it is what it is. I just say lets see how opening day goes first before we all jump off a cliff John Candy Reaction GIF by Laff

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

NO that is Clueless.

Intellect, love of the game, character, just doesn't count for you.

It most definitely isn’t. If Shakir balls out over the next couple of years and Pierce doesn’t Ballard clearly overvalues characteristics that don’t equate to production. 

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People can be critical all they want, me personally I just find it comical after 1 pre-season game to be critical of anything. It is a board so I have no problem with people complaining, this place would be boring without that lmao . Then again I have never cared about pre-season but some people are different. If we lose to the Texans on opening day then I will be right there with the nay-sayers being critical of our weak area's. It just seems to me some are salivating at every chance to bash the team or a certain player or Frank no matter what. 

I know how it is in here so it is what it is. I just say lets see how opening day goes first before we all jump off a cliff 

There's always going to be debate, that's for sure. And yes, all sunshine and puppy dogs would be boring, and you wouldn't have much traffic lol. 

Overall, I think most give rooks, new players (to the team), and new coaches/scheme, the patience they deserve. 

Patience though gets shorter when folks get tired of trends, certain vets, or certain coaches. I have high hopes for Ryan/Reich. But I begin this season with the same pessimism about play calling and scheme. And that will remain until I see something different. Hopefully the addition of Ryan offsets that... But folks in general have become more skeptical of Frank the last year. And I think that will continue unless the O looks different. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There's always going to be debate, that's for sure. And yes, all sunshine and puppy dogs would be boring, and you wouldn't have much traffic lol. 

Overall, I think most give rooks, new players (to the team), and new coaches/scheme, the patience they deserve. 

Patience though gets shorter when folks get tired of trends, certain vets, or certain coaches. I have high hopes for Ryan/Reich. But I begin this season with the same pessimism about play calling and scheme. And that will remain until I see something different. Hopefully the addition of Ryan offsets that... But folks in general have become more skeptical of Frank the last year. And I think that will continue unless the O looks different. 

I have even been posting with a chip on my shoulder lately, grouchy at times, etc.. As a fan I am all in, in serious mode once September rolls around. I am on record saying AFC Title Game or bust for us, time to man up, etc.. 

I just think we have the QB, roster, and yes even coach to get to the Championship Game and then from there lets see what happens. Matt Ryan doesn't have that ring so I have a feeling he is going to have a big year, not so much statistically but just making big plays at crucial moments. I don't see Taylor missing much of a beat either, and I think Pittman will even be better. Hines will be our ace in the hole, bailing us out on many 3rd and shorts with the pass. I like our defense but not sold on it, I am concerned about Maniac because we need him. He creates so many game changing Turnovers. Overall, I love our team though. Only huge question mark is LT IMO, but Nelson plays on the left side so that should help.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly it’s kinda amazing how little attention the defense is getting from Saturday.  Very few seem to want to talk about what went right.  

Loved what Cross did, and there was some other stuff to like. But it's hard to get too cheery knowing it was our 1st team D vs their 2nd team O. 

And let's be honest. On the first drive, Keenum drove them right down to the 5... and they went for it on 4th and 4. If Allen is in, that's a TD 99% of the time. It was Keenum though. won't call him a super scrub, but he's not a starter. And Shakir and Moss pretty much had their way that drive. Our DBs had no answer for Shakir.

And just not a lot of pressure from the DL. No sacks or QB hits at all from our starters. Expected much better vs their 2nd team OL. 

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have even been posting with a chip on my shoulder lately, grouchy at times, etc.. As a fan I am all in, in serious mode once September rolls around. I am on record saying AFC Title Game or bust for us, time to man up, etc.. 

I just think we have the QB, roster, and yes even coach to get to the Championship Game and then from there lets see what happens. Matt Ryan doesn't have that ring so I have a feeling he is going to have a big year, not so much statistically but just making big plays at crucial moments. I don't see Taylor missing much of a beat either, and I think Pittman will even be better. Hines will be our ace in the hole, bailing us out on many 3rd and shorts with the pass. I like our defense but not sold on it, I am concerned about Maniac because we need him. He creates so many game changing Turnovers. Overall, I love our team though. Only huge question mark is LT IMO, but Nelson plays on the left side so that should help.

I'm not as optimistic as you are in some areas lol. 

I'm in a wait and see mode in several. And a prove me wrong mode until I see something different in a few. 

Doesn't really matter. If we're good, everyone (most anyway) will be happy and forget about a lot of the stuff. If we're not, the same conversations will be had.

Perhaps we need a "Colts Negative" thread to go along with the "Colts Positive" thread lol.... It would be a safe place for all the neg nancies to vent. I don't think the Colts Positive thread has kept the sunshine pumpers from pumping sunshine in normal threads though :funny:

14 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Meh it’s one play. Now if that becomes the norm, then I’m gonna be the first pounding the table to let Nelson go. That said, I’m not surprised, Nelson has had back issues last year and if that is still lingering, we may have to move on. As sad as it is

Archived