Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Painter Works Out For Ravens [Merge]

BuildtheMonster1285

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit that I have been highly critical of Curtis Painter & his sub par performance as the backup QB for the Indianapolis Colts for several years. In truth, our team was decimated by injury this past season, both Jim Caldwell & Bill Polian failed to make the necessary changes fast enough as our season started to spiral out of control, & Painter unfortunately locked in on desired wide receivers too much like Pierre Garcon now in Washington.

I wish Painter no ill will personally. He has bills to pay & a family to support just like a vast majority of athletes in the NFL today. Can Painter be a serviceable backup for another squad? I have some serious reservations here overall. Offensive line protection does matter of course, but Painter is NOT particularly skilled in eye manipulation of opposing secondaries until he develops & or refines that essential skill; I would never put him on a roster payroll as a GM in this league myself. Good luck Painter you're gonna need it IMO to remain in the realm of professional football.

I gave Painter every chance to prove something. Even Bill Polian admits he is no longer with the Colts because he did not have a backup QB. I like both the funny posts and the serious one's here, but if we had a backup QB last year, Peyton would be behind center this year....and that is a fact!

I agree with that statement 100 percent Brent,unfortionate its just water under the bridge.

As the Joker said, "Why so serious?"

But really, come on, they are obviously joking. His QB play was about as poor as I've ever seen. He had his chance with us. I wish him good luck. Maybe he'll turn it around someday. Just stay away from the Colts. lol

I've seen a LOT worse QB play than that. The guy has some talent, and had some really bright moments here, but he cracked under the pressure of a horrible situation. I'm hoping he can do better elsewhere.

The other problem is that the "jokes' are obvious and odious, and the general tone is cruel and belittling. Can't we just wish the guy luck and move on? You'd think that he was a first round draft pick who didn't show up for practice, and made repeated obscene gestures at the fans, rather than a low round pick who did everything he could to help the team. How about if the members of this forum try to show half the class that Painter showed instead of kicking him after he is already out the door.

I've seen a LOT worse QB play than that. The guy has some talent, and had some really bright moments here, but he cracked under the pressure of a horrible situation. I'm hoping he can do better elsewhere.

The other problem is that the "jokes' are obvious and odious, and the general tone is cruel and belittling. Can't we just wish the guy luck and move on? You'd think that he was a first round draft pick who didn't show up for practice, and made repeated obscene gestures at the fans, rather than a low round pick who did everything he could to help the team. How about if the members of this forum try to show half the class that Painter showed instead of kicking him after he is already out the door.

I'm not really sure what you want people to do, praise him for trying his best? People are just having fun with it, man. I haven't seen anything written that's crossed the line.

I'm not really sure what you want people to do, praise him for trying his best? People are just having fun with it, man. I haven't seen anything written that's crossed the line.

That was a quick edit. Good decision.

I didn't say that anything crossed the line (unlike your initial comment). If any of the comments WERE actually fun (or funny, or clever, or original, etc) than you might have something there. Where's ruksak when you need him. But hey, if you're enjoying it, don't let me stop you. I'm just voicing my opinion.

First, the Ravens signed Caldwell to coach QB's.

Then, They actually sign the QB Caldwell already has tried to turn into a QB for 3 yrs. now and has be completely unsuccessful.

Im beginning to think the 2012 Mayan prophecies just may have some validity to them.

Interesting that Caldwell helped get the guy who helped get him fired from Indy.

And even sadder would be if Curtis Painter gets a ring soon. lmao Tony Ugoh got one, is it another crappy ex Colts turn from our offense?

I agree Jules. It worked for Colts backup QB Jim Sorgi in 2006 in INDY. Right place; right time. Talent had nothing to do with it in that circumstance either. Heck, Sorgi almost won a 2nd ring with Eli Manning in NY in 2007 too. [sorgi signed a 1 year contract & then was placed on IR if I remember correctly.]

Don't patronize me. Thanks.

I'm not patronizing you. I wanted you to know that I had seen your original text, but I certainly wasn't about to give it further credence by repeating it in a response.

If you hadn't removed it I would have simply reported the post and not bothered responding at all.

I'm not patronizing you. I wanted you to know that I had seen your original text, but I certainly wasn't about to give it further credence by repeating it in a response.

If you hadn't removed it I would have simply reported the post and not bothered responding at all.

We're walkin on eggshells, whoaaa, and don't it feel good!

Feels like we all have to tiptoe around these forums now that we're a losing team.

We're walkin on eggshells, whoaaa, and don't it feel good!

You weren't even one of the people who posted a joke, yet you persist. Were you personally offended by the fact that some here thought that the general tone of that thread was off-putting? Do you not find that ironic? You have now invested 5% of your entire history of posts on this site essentially bemoaning the fact that the sites standards have - what - risen in your opinion? Take that up with the moderators, and good luck to you.

We are both free to say whatever we want within the rules of the forum. It isn't that complicated, and you are no more required to walk on eggshells that I am to laugh at things that aren't actually funny. Now go find someone else to annoy.

I agree Jules. It worked for Colts backup QB Jim Sorgi in 2006 in INDY. Right place; right time. Talent had nothing to do with it in that circumstance either. Heck, Sorgi almost won a 2nd ring with Eli Manning in NY in 2007 too. [sorgi signed a 1 year contract & then was placed on IR if I remember correctly.]

Sorgi was with us in 2009 when Painter was drafted. He was put on IR in 2009 due to which Painter filled in vs the Jets in that famous "tanking the perfect season" game. Sorgi was released in March 2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Sorgi). Then Sorgi got put on IR with the Giants again, Sorgi to Cruz was the pre-season story for the Giants before Sorgi went on IR. Then, it was David Carr, then Sage Rosenfels, then David Carr again for backup for Giants.

David Carr is my singular reason a rookie QB needs to be protected well :). He is the poster child for "eating turf as a rookie QB".

Like I said before I wish him the best, but let's be real. He was outplayed by a quarterback that ran out the back of his own endzone.

Like I said before I wish him the best, but let's be real. He was outplayed by a quarterback that ran out the back of his own endzone.

By the time he was benched I had seen enough, believe me. That doesn't change the fact that every time out he did something positive that made me sit up and take notice. I thought that he was more talented than Orlovsky, but that his problems were mental, and I find that very sad. He was actual decent up until the Saints game, and there were a couple of late game heroics that everyone forgets about that almost made him a hero. With a little luck that confidence boost might have changed everything. A restricted offense built around him from pre-season on couldn't have hurt either. Too often he was left trying to play like Peyton, which was ridiculous. In short the season didn't have to go down that path, I see him as a victim not the goat. People dumping on him now just seems like piling on. I certainly wish him the best as well.

By the time he was benched I had seen enough, believe me. That doesn't change the fact that every time out he did something positive that made me sit up and take notice. I thought that he was more talented than Orlovsky, but that his problems were mental, and I find that very sad. He was actual decent up until the Saints game, and there were a couple of late game heroics that everyone forgets about that almost made him a hero. With a little luck that confidence boost might have changed everything. A restricted offense built around him from pre-season on couldn't have hurt either. Too often he was left trying to play like Peyton, which was ridiculous. In short the season didn't have to go down that path, I see him as a victim not the goat. People dumping on him now just seems like piling on. I certainly wish him the best as well.

Then we both agree. He did make some positive plays, but the negative plays crushed his confidence so much that he had a hard time recovering from it. I also think Orlovsky was better equiped to deal with situation last year.

Then we both agree. He did make some positive plays, but the negative plays crushed his confidence so much that he had a hard time recovering from it. I also think Orlovsky was better equiped to deal with situation last year.

Absolutely - in no short part because of his own miserable experience with the Lions. His coming on at the end of the year for the Colts was his shot at redemption, with minimal risk of downside because of what he was following. His finally winning a game was obviously the highlight of the season, and I enjoyed it immensely.

But if he had started the season as the starter his mindset might have been considerably more uncomfortable, and the outcome less favorable.

Absolutely - in no short part because of his own miserable experience with the Lions. His coming on at the end of the year for the Colts was his shot at redemption, with minimal risk of downside because of what he was following. His finally winning a game was obviously the highlight of the season, and I enjoyed it immensely.

But if he had started the season as the starter his mindset might have been considerably more uncomfortable, and the outcome less favorable.

Wow. A good debate and we haven't resorted to name calling. Kudos for us.

Getting Collins after training camp ended up being a huge mistake for many reasons. Money being one and it showed we had zero faith in our guys at the time. I would of liked to see more of Nate Davis. He kind of disappeared during training camp as I remember. But I don't want to derail the thread.

I agree with MAC and some others as I don't find anything funny in many of the comments made about Painter.

But, then I rarely find the humor in making fun of someone . . . with the exception of Tom Brady. :brady:

And, that is only when he wears headbands, dances, and goes down water slides.

Wow. A good debate and we haven't resorted to name calling. Kudos for us.

Getting Collins after training camp ended up being a huge mistake for many reasons. Money being one and it showed we had zero faith in our guys at the time. I would of liked to see more of Nate Davis. He kind of disappeared during training camp as I remember. But I don't want to derail the thread.

haha Give it time.

Some were surely enthusiastic about Davis presumably from his college days, but frankly I knew nothing about him. In retrospect it couldn't have hurt.

This thread could probably use a good derailing, but I'm going to bed. Take care.

I agree with MAC and some others as I don't find anything funny in many of the comments made about Painter.

But, then I rarely find the humor in making fun of someone . . . with the exception of Tom Brady. :brady:

And, that is only when he wears headbands, dances, and goes down water slides.

Lol... I can only really speak for myself, but I really just kidding when I talk about Painter. Like when I talk about Charles Rogers being made of glass and how many illegitimate children Santonio Holmes has. It's all in good fun I assure you.

I think the bottom line here is people have different ideas of humor. I like a teasing humor based on appearances like shecolts emotion-icon Of Tom Brady. Some people that absolutely despised Painters QB play do seem to 'cut' a little deeper into sardonic humor. I rooted for the man every week as we continued to get worse and worse as a football team.

I cannot feel sorry for Painter because he was drafted to play a sport he loved. He made 500K last year. HMMMM....I wonder if I could pay my bills on that? I could have retired in 1987 after 1 year of work on that .

That is why I stated first about "Polian's continued statement that if he had a backup QB he would still have a job." I mixed humor in mine to have fun with my forum friends, and I want anyone on here to know that my humor was not meant to offend or be hurtful. Mine was merely a play on words via the Painter name and his long-haired look. (ala the Brady pic) Good luck Curtis Painter. You still have to "make the team."