Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dtman513

Not sure if this if this is old news or not.

Currently Quan Cosby wears #12 on our roster.....

So, what # will Luck get?

Generally speaking if a player of Cosby's level has a number a player of Luck's level will want all Luck has to do is make a donation to Cosby's bank account and he can have the number.

Yeah, people have been conjecturing about this off and on for some time.

Cosby is such a fringe player (29 years old, 6 catches, no starts) that if he has even a shred of a survival instinct he will offer the number up to Luck on a platter the first time he sees him, if not sooner. Luck, being polite, will probably buy him dinner or something. Or he can just wait until Cosby is released in August and take it then.

That doesn't mean that he won't chose another number. Frankly I'll laugh out loud if he does.

I think he should get number 11. Number 7 and 12 are played out for a Quarterback, 11 is a "Lucky" number.

Only in the sense that it's associated with gambling, which is kinda frowned on by the league. The only "lucky" number that would be interesting - at least in an ironical sense - would be #13.

I don't want him to wear #7 because I loved Bert Jones (and it's also associated with gambling). I don't want him to wear #10 because it was worn by Art Schlicter (speaking of associating with gambling :) ). I don't like #12 because I associate it with Brady.

In the grand scheme of things I don't really care. He has to earn our respect before he'll mean anything to me, and at that point I might like the number because I associate it with him. If he busts we probably won't even remember his number. What number it is doesn't really matter.

Yet.

I don't want him to wear #7 because I loved Bert Jones (and it's also associated with gambling). I don't want him to wear #10 because it was worn by Art Schlicter (speaking of associating with gambling :) ). I don't like #12 because I associate it with Brady.

You associate 12 with just Brady, and not, say, Bradshaw, Staubach, Griese, Stabler, and Namath?

If Luck wants #12, then thats what he'll get. Cosby will either agree or be searching elsewhere for employment. Luck may be nice about it and offer Cosby a coupon for McDonald's or something, but Cosby won't have a choice no matter what.

BTW, just for reference, 14 of the 46 Super Bowls have been won by a #12 (1 Namath, 2 Griese, 4 Bradshaw, 2 Staubach, 1 Stabler, 3 Brady, 1 Rodgers). 26 of 92 starting Super Bowl QBs wore 12 (the aforementioned, plus 1 more Griese, 2 more Staubach, 2 more Brady, 4 Kelly, and a few others I don't care to recall at the moment).

You associate 12 with just Brady, and not, say, Bradshaw, Staubach, Griese, Stabler, and Namath?

I was expressing disgust for the number based on it making me think of Brady - who's annoying face I've seen staring back at me from a #12 uniform WAY too many times in recent years. Who else might have worn it is not relevant to my point, and frankly incredibly unimportant to me. There are only so many numbers to go around, and all of them have been worn by hundreds of players.

Many others here have mentioned the volume of successful QBs who've worn the number, but without looking it up (or having someone else provide the number) the only ones that would probably pop into my head on their own would be Griese and Namath. I liked the former, detested the later. I also liked Stabler and couldn't stand Bradshaw. Do I really need to take all of that into account to express my preference for Luck's number? He can wear what he wants and make it his own. The fact that others have worn it on other teams shouldn't factor into this.

In fact just the idea of saying "he can't wear it because so many other great QBs have worn it" turns my stomach. Luck is a college kid who hasn't accomplished anything. In fact he hasn't even been drafted yet. Should we discuss what uniform he's going to wear when he enters the HOF while we're at it? How about he makes the team first? We were talking about silly reasons for him to avoid certain Colts numbers, not his imminent deification.

#12 is too played out. I agree that Luck will get that number if he wants it but I really hope he picks a different number. I like either #13 (my personal lucky number...my name's Jason...what'd you expect :D ), #14 or #16.

I honestly hope Cosby holds on to #12. I mean seriously? You guys act as if Andrew HAS to have number 12. Cosby had it first. First come first serve. If Cosby wants to keep it then let the guy keep it my god. Respect a man for what he is. A man. I hate how ppl are with players. Fans look at a player who wasn't a starter in college and say this guy is trash. I mean he worked at Wendy's. What a loser. Some ppl have to work a real job to make a living. Lay off. First come first serve IMO.

Yeah, people have been conjecturing about this off and on for some time.

Cosby is such a fringe player (29 years old, 6 catches, no starts) that if he has even a shred of a survival instinct he will offer the number up to Luck on a platter the first time he sees him, if not sooner. Luck, being polite, will probably buy him dinner or something. Or he can just wait until Cosby is released in August and take it then.

That doesn't mean that he won't chose another number. Frankly I'll laugh out loud if he does.

I bet if you already have his jersey you wont lol. . .