Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's time to find the longterm QB in 2023

BProland85

2023 is setting up to be the perfect year and draft to get Indy's longterm QB of the future. Darius Leonard, among others, are very tired of having a new QB every year for the past 5 years. The 2023 draft would give Indy the ability to address the longterm fix, since they will have their full draft capital, plus most likely an additional 2nd from Washington. They could certainly make a trade up, like both Kansas City and Houston did when they traded up for Mahomes and Watson. 

Drafting a QB in 2023 would also allow the rookie to sit and learn for a year or so from Matt Ryan, until they are ready to take over and hopefully dominate the league. It just makes too much sense to me. What are your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

2023 is setting up to be the perfect year and draft to get Indy's longterm QB of the future. Darius Leonard, among others, are very tired of having a new QB every year for the past 5 years. The 2023 draft would give Indy the ability to address the longterm fix, since they will have their full draft capital, plus most likely an additional 2nd from Washington. They could certainly make a trade up, like both Kansas City and Houston did when they traded up for Mahomes and Watson. 

Drafting a QB in 2023 would also allow the rookie to sit and learn for a year or so from Matt Ryan, until they are ready to take over and hopefully dominate the league. It just makes too much sense to me. What are your thoughts?

Totally depends. For all we know, Ryan may give us 4 more years

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Totally depends. For all we know, Ryan may give us 4 more years

I wouldn't bet on that.  It's possible but if I'm stacking this roster somewhere in the next couple drafts I take a shot at a QB.  Ryan's ball looks a little floaty and he's never been strong armed.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Point Agree GIF by Ford

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Let's focus on the now which is fixing online and adding weapons

3 hours ago, Believe blue1306 said:

Matt for 3 years.

Then we draft arch manning and Marvin Jr to carry on the legacy.

Sounds like a plan:thmup:

I know everyone wants arch myself included. But the manning family won’t let him play here. He won’t play in New York or Denver either. They will want him to form his own legacy and you can’t do that playing for your uncles old teams

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I think this is now most likely the path we’re on. Passing on Mayfield means we are trying to avoid another Wentz type of mistake. We are in the same position we were with Rivers, standing at a crossroads between choosing draft or a young vet. There will be a lot riding on whoever we choose next and Ballard himself to get it right. 

38 minutes ago, life long said:

Matt is essentially a poor man's Peyton in a few ways

This is how I've always felt. I'm a big fan of cerebral QB's like Manning, and I'd go out of my way to watch him play. I've watched all 14 seasons of Ryan. Ryan is also cerebral, and is one of the best I've ever seen at making pre-snap reads and adjustments; That's why he has so many game winning drives under his belt. (well, that, and the fact that there's not a lead that the Falcons can't blow)

I keep hearing “draft a QB in 2023”. Can anyone explain to me what the plan is in regards to that? Who are we targeting? Who do we know for certain is declaring? Where will we be picking in the draft? What makes these prospects better than the ones in 2022? What other teams may target these QBs? Will we have to trade up? If so, what would we have to give up to go up and get them? Who are the top 5 QB prospects for the 2023 draft? Why not wait until 2024?

Archived