Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GBs D Requires a Stud Single High FS

Nickster

Any thought as to where this player is coming from?

There has been a smattering of talk, but this is a major need if this D is going to be competent.  Not sure we have a starting caliber type corner or FS on the team now.  I like that kid at Corner but I’m not totally confident either.

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Any thought as to where this player is coming from?

There has been a smattering of talk, but this is a major need if this D is going to be competent.  Not sure we have a starting caliber type corner or FS on the team now.  I like that kid at Corner but I’m not totally confident either.

Add FS to the list

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He was tagged.

makes sense, he is super talented. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would sign Matthieu for like 2 years. Either Ballard is really showing his hand in regards to how he’s going to draft this year, or he sees Blackmon differently then we do.

he has stated multiple times he thinks blackmon is underrated.  and made mention of his solo tackling ability multiple times. 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

he has stated multiple times he thinks blackmon is underrated.  and made mention of his solo tackling ability multiple times. 

Yeah I think Ballard may have more faith in him as a FS than we do. We’ll see though.

41 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah he can solo,tackle but that is down the list of priorities for a C3 FS.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would sign Matthieu for like 2 years. Either Ballard is really showing his hand in regards to how he’s going to draft this year, or he sees Blackmon differently then we do.

He wants 18M a year and we know CB ain’t doing that

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah he can solo,tackle but that is down the list of priorities for a C3 FS.

yeah the super talented part im talking about bates there... but I think blackmon can be a good cover safety.  I think bates is better though for sure. 

I've been looking at the draft for weeks specifically for the kind of back end safety we've been missing, and pickins seem pretty slim.  The ones said to have better skills for that role are a bit on the shrimpy side compared to CBs standards.

Maybe a corner can be converted.  Lots of college corners project more as safeties in the NFL, but that conversion would take more than a year most likely.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah the super talented part im talking about bates there... but I think blackmon can be a good cover safety.  I think bates is better though for sure. 

Oh I see.

I’m not at all high on Blackmon being a C3 deep safety.  It also wouldn’t make sense for him to be so far from the line doing what he does best which is hitting people in front IMO.

I thought it was bad policy to convert Paye into a Wide 9 guy because he is good at everything else but bending around the edge and they fixed that with this Bradley nomad.

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I've been looking at the draft for weeks specifically for the kind of back end safety we've been missing, and pickins seem pretty slim.  The ones said to have better skills for that role are a bit on the shrimpy side compared to CBs standards.

Maybe a corner can be converted.  Lots of college corners project more as safeties in the NFL, but that conversion would take more than a year most likely.

Yeah I was thinking about that with Rock actually.  Not sold on his corner cover skills.  Any corner should have the speed to play FS. It’s about anticipation and instinct as much as anything else.  A good one is fun to watch live like a great CF breaking on the ball seemingly before it’s hit.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Oh I see.

I’m not at all high on Blackmon being a C3 deep safety.  It also wouldn’t make sense for him to be so far from the line doing what he does best which is hitting people in front IMO.

I thought it was bad policy to convert Paye into a Wide 9 guy because he is good at everything else but bending around the edge and they fixed that with this Bradley nomad.

Do you think that Paye remains a 3 down player?

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do you think that Paye remains a 3 down player?

Yes.  I think he moves inside on passing downs quite a bit.  It appears to me that he was used correctly at Michigan.

They will rotate a lot and should.  I think our line will be decent at least but with the type of capital we’ve invested it should be a nickname type of d line and I don’t see that at all.

I like Paye, but not as a 9.  I betcha he lines up mostly 5-6 and sometimes 3 and 4 on passing downs and occasionally out wide.  He will be just inside of Yannick on some plays.

I’ve mentioned this a few times since the end of the year.  We need a FS and I don’t feel we have one on the roster. Blackmon is a SS and coming off another lower leg injury.  I honestly don’t see what Ballard is seeing with Blackmon playing out of position. Hope it works out but we would be better off getting a guy with ball skills over a big hitter. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The only top projected quality FS that played single high safety that comes to mind is Lewis Cine

I'd like to see them add Nick Cross.  He might get role cast as a box safety, at least early on, but his athleticism means he should be able to improve as he learns that deep role in this defense.  Big guy and nasty.  I really like having a good safety depth chart because it usually makes your coverage teams kick some rear end too which is a nice bonus.  

4 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I'd like to see them add Nick Cross.  He might get role cast as a box safety, at least early on, but his athleticism means he should be able to improve as he learns that deep role in this defense.  Big guy and nasty.  I really like having a good safety depth chart because it usually makes your coverage teams kick some rear end too which is a nice bonus.  

Yeah but you don’t need a nasty safety deep in cover 3.  It’s a luxury that is of negligible importance.  We have box safeties.

right now with what they have this D will get lit up in the back.

they will get someone.  They have to.

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yes.  I think he moves inside on passing downs quite a bit.  It appears to me that he was used correctly at Michigan.

They will rotate a lot and should.  I think our line will be decent at least but with the type of capital we’ve invested it should be a nickname type of d line and I don’t see that at all.

I like Paye, but not as a 9.  I betcha he lines up mostly 5-6 and sometimes 3 and 4 on passing downs and occasionally out wide.  He will be just inside of Yannick on some plays.

So drafting him as a 9 was a failure, so to speak?  Always was a short striding non bendy guy.

I think he plays all 3 downs.  But maybe he flips from RDE to LDE when Yannick comes in.  Which I think means Paye play LDE a lot.  

Which then pushes out Dayo's playing time, and Lewis, even more if Paye plays inside like you suggest.  Not that Lewis matters, only a one year contract.

Just seems like the hiring of Gus and any new scheme sort of undercut the values of the guys we drafted high last year.

But, they're talented.  Paye and Dayo are good to have, so we'll see how they play and where.

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

The only top projected quality FS that played single high safety that comes to mind is Lewis Cine

What I read about Cine is that he's valued for his aggressiveness and enforcement, not really his deep ball instincts.  He may have them, but I think he's getting valued for other things that we already have in Blackmon.  Sort of a repeat of what we have.

If you told me that we end up with Cine and Blackmon as our two starters and Willis gets pushed to a backup, 3rd hybrid/LB (not sure he's big enough) or is traded on draft day, I can see Ballard picking Cine where I think he'll need to be picked.....which is 42 or a trade up, IMO.

7 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Also, I think Verone McKinley out of Oregon fits the single high FS traits.  Is well thought of from what I read,  But he's about 5'10".

8 hours ago, OhioColt said:

I wish we had more picks in round 2

Cine is perfect for the FS role

He also is really good in run support

We need someone on the backend that is tall enough to out jump the 6-4 recievers 

Archived