Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Woah Colts have interest in Wagner

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Could it be that we are interested in Wagner because we are including Leonard in a trade package for Carr?   That’s the only reason that makes sense for me considering our other more pressing needs.

They just gave Leonard an extension that makes him pretty much untradeable because of the cap hit that would come with it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

They just gave Leonard an extension that makes him pretty much untradeable because of the cap hit that would come with it.

I know his cap hit is not huge for the coming year. Maybe the next two.  Teams restructure all the time.  I don’t think it’s a deterrent for a star player like Leonard.

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Could it be that we are interested in Wagner because we are including Leonard in a trade package for Carr?   That’s the only reason that makes sense for me considering our other more pressing needs.

I think if anyone is packaged it would be Buckner and a 2023 1st round pick and other picks by us. I can't see Ballard trading Leonard or Nelson. Of  course Taylor is untouchable. Leonard just got paid so that won't happen.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think if anyone is packaged it would be Buckner and a 2023 1st round pick and other picks by us. I can't see Ballard trading Leonard or Nelson. Of  course Taylor is untouchable. Leonard just got paid so that won't happen.

Taylor is untouchable?????   RB's dont have much longevity in the NFL.    

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I know his cap hit is not huge for the coming year. Maybe the next two.  Teams restructure all the time.  I don’t think it’s a deterrent for a star player like Leonard.

It’s a deterrent for the Colts the because they are the ones hit with cap hit that comes with trading players.  His dead cap hit would be almost $25 million.  He’s not getting traded for that reason alone let alone the fact he is by far the best player on the defense.

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Right now he is.  He’s the foundation of the offense going into the third year of his rookie deal.  If the Colts change coaches next year it’s POSSIBLE they could trade him then but even then it’s very unlikely.

2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

When you have an elite young RB, you ride him until at least his contract year. 

Not saying he's untouchable, but would be stupid to get rid of him at this moment. 

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

If you think we are trading Taylor you are off your rocker. He along with Henry are the best RB's in the league. He is in his prime, maybe in 4 years we trade him. Taylor is untouchable. Only way I trade Taylor is if a team gives me their a 1st round pick this year and next year + a 2nd round pick this year and next year. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Buckner is the 3t and would create a major hole.  We would be just switching out linebackers with Wagner and Leonard.  We could make that work easier.  If we want Carr you have to give them an offer they have to seriously consider especially without a current first round pick.  He fits the bill no matter how dumb it might appear.  Quarterback is our primo need.  If Carr is the target I wouldn’t rule it out.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Buckner is the 3t and would create a major hole.  We would be just switching out linebackers with Wagner and Leonard.  We could make that work easier.  If we want Carr you have to give them an offer they have to seriously consider especially without a current first round pick.  He fits the bill no matter how dumb it might appear.  Quarterback is our primo need.  If Carr is the target I wouldn’t rule it out.

The 25 million dollar cap hit they would take for trading him makes me rule it out.

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Some fans are as loyal as a wet dishrag. 

Draft the best LB in the Indy era......I know....let's trade him!

Not to mention he’s the best player on defense and you could argue the only play maker on defense (Buckner and Moore are both good but they don’t force a tone of turnovers).  The Colts also have issues at linebacker beyond Leonard.  If they are truly in on Waggoner it’s probably to add to the linebacking core, which needs an upgrade beyond Leonard, not replace Leonard.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yes they do.  How about the Eagles and Wentz.

Congratulations you found the exception.  Also Wentz had burned his bridge in Philly to the point they had to get ride of him.  That’s not the case here with Leonard.  With that up until he was traded people were saying Wentz’s cap hit is why he wouldn’t get traded.  That was an exception not the rule in the NFL and it was driven by the fact the Eagles had to get ride of Wentz.

Also for this to work you have to take a $25 million cap hit and then pay Wagner and Carr.  You just spent almost all of the Colts cap space and still have other major holes to fill plus an extension to pay Nelson that’s coming. 

The Colts aren’t trading Leonard.  If you want to think they are go ahead but you will be wrong.

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wan't Carr but I wouldn't trade Leonard.

2 hours ago, Reggie said:

I like Wagner as a player but I expect him to get a nice payday and it would be a puzzling way for the Colts to use cap space this year.

He will be 32 by the time the season starts so how many quality years does he have left?

Most importantly LB is far from a need. On defense alone I would be in favor of spending money on a veteran pass rusher (which are available), a CB, or a free safety before making a splash with a big signing at LB. On offense they could spend money on QB, WR, TE, or LT all before Wagner. There are just too many other positions to address, and more important ones, before i'd want to see the Colts sign a high priced LB. 

I do think Wagner would help improve the team some it just wouldn't be the best way to use salary cap space this year, IMO.

We’ll said. LB is not a critical need. Wagner is aging. Let’s focus on where the team’s true needs are: QB; LT; TE; WR; Edge; and FS. Improve the team at these positions and you’re in the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Congratulations you found the exception.  Also Wentz had burned his bridge in Philly to the point they had to get ride of him.  That’s not the case here with Leonard.  With that up until he was traded people were saying Wentz’s cap hit is why he wouldn’t get traded.  That was an exception not the rule in the NFL and it was driven by the fact the Eagles had to get ride of Wentz.

Also for this to work you have to take a $25 million cap hit and then pay Wagner and Carr.  You just spent almost all of the Colts cap space and still have other major holes to fill plus an extension to pay Nelson that’s coming. 

The Colts aren’t trading Leonard.  If you want to think they are go ahead but you will be wrong.

I never said they were.  I was using him as an example as a player to trade for Carr if in fact we had a real interest in Wagner.  We don’t know if that interest is true either.  Swapping linebackers is easier to swallow for me than Buckner or Q.  BTW an extension for Q will reduce his cap hit.  Same could be accomplished for Carr.  Not to mention restructuring Buckner or a few other players if needed.  I don’t see cap space as being a deterrent.

32 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Another often-injured player. I think I would prefer Ertz on a short-term deal.

Engram in 2021-48 receptions, 408 yards, 3 TD's in 15 games.

Ertz in 2021-74 receptions, 763 yards, 5 TD's

Ertz resigned...

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I never said they were.  I was using him as an example as a player to trade for Carr if in fact we had a real interest in Wagner.  We don’t know if that interest is true either.  Swapping linebackers is easier to swallow for me than Buckner or Q.  BTW an extension for Q will reduce his cap hit.  Same could be accomplished for Carr.  Not to mention restructuring Buckner or a few other players if needed.  I don’t see cap space as being a deterrent.

I don’t recall that you have ever thought cap space would be a deterrent.   It’s almost as if you think it doesn’t exist at all!    

28 minutes ago, Hoose said:

We’ll said. LB is not a critical need. Wagner is aging. Let’s focus on where the team’s true needs are: QB; LT; TE; WR; Edge; and FS. Improve the team at these positions and you’re in the playoffs. 

I agree LB is not as critical as some positions, but the scheme we're moving to asks different things. Leonard will be fine at WILL. But Bradley had more of a thumper at MIKE, and also used SAM more. And his SAM is a lot like the LEO from a measurable perspective. 

So in short, it's safe to say we'll see some LB change. Not high $ acquisitions IMO, but some modest priced vets. Wagner will cost too much IMO, but he would be an upgrade over Oke. Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in someone to compete there. At SAM, could see a vet like Kyle Van Now be brought in or some small DE. Banogu could get a look at both LEO and SAM, or both.

42 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Another often-injured player. I think I would prefer Ertz on a short-term deal.

Engram in 2021-48 receptions, 408 yards, 3 TD's in 15 games.

Ertz in 2021-74 receptions, 763 yards, 5 TD's

Depends on what we can get him for. You dont find too many 4.3 - 4.4 tight ends. Ebron was considered somewhat unreliable and inconsistent when he left Detroit.  I remember Engram gave us fits when we played the Giants in Reichs 1st year.

3 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Did that happen today because I have not seen that?

There’s been no announcement or report of that happening. 

Engram would fill the roll that Ebron had.  He’s not redundant to Granson. He’s much taller I believe. Ballard has said they need someone who can get stretch the middle of the field. 

If the Colts want to make some noise this year it will be because of our defense and running game. Why not go "all in" on what was winning us games last year? Go get Wagner, and Chandler Jones. Im not a cap guru so im not sure its possible to add a 3rd big FA but if you could go find a LT, WR, or TE. 

I still think signing a vet FA and going after a rookie qb (whether thats in 22 or 23 draft) is the best option for the Colts. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Possibly, but this is the time of the year when rumors tend to materialize into truth. Sometimes people we aren't familiar with do indeed have some info.

True, but often most are noise which is why we don't allow rumour topics as such. 

The Wentz smoke at least came from a very recognised name in the game.

Archived