Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With Wentz traded, who do you want to replace him?

Yoshinator

With Wentz traded, who do you want to replace him?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. With Wentz traded, who do you want to replace him?

• Jimmy G
    • Derek Carr
    • Kirk Cousins
    • Deshaun Watson
    • Mitchell Trubisky
    • Marcus Mariota
    • Jameis Winston
    • Tyler Huntley
    • Tyrod Taylor
    • Jordan Love
    • Player in the 2022 draft (name who it is)
    • Other (name the specific QB if choosing this option)

Now that we have yesterday out of the way with the news that the Colts have traded Carson Wentz, lets have another fun poll! This isn't who do you think Ballard will sign, trade or draft to replace him, this is who do you want to replace Wentz. I'm going to put a bunch of options in the poll and let you vote. If you want two options, vote on the one you want and say both of them below. This should be a fun conversation starter to see who people like at this point.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally want Trubisky and a QB in the draft. Trubisky wouldn't cost draft capital himself, and we could kind of go by our draft board to take a QB in the draft, especially with us at 42 now in the 2nd round, and the possibility of a QB such as Ridder, Howell, or Strong falling to us or close to it. If that doesn't happen, maybe a QB like Bailey Zappe that could develop a year or two behind Trubisky in the 4th round. This is what I'm hoping for right now with the updated trade and draft picks.

A well timed poll, though I might have added an option for draft in 2023 and tell us who your bridge guy is for 22. 

Given there will be a lot of speculation around this in the near future I think we should start a forum game. Everyone who plays has to start a Twitter account from scratch and float one QB rumour each for the Colts with points being awarded for:

1 point per each retweet/reply from a normal account

100 points per each retweet/reply from any bluetick account

500 points per each each retweet/reply from any form of self professed Colts insider

1000 points per each retweet/reply from any recognised Colts beat writer

10,000 points per each retweet/reply from any form of recognised national writer 

100,000 points per each retweet/reply from Mort/Schefter/Rapport

250,000 points if your tweets are cited in any form of article from a legit site (Nfl.com/The Athletic etc.)

500,000 points if you're invited onto to any form of recognised podcast

1,000,000 points if you get interviewed on-air for your inside track

Rumours could include...

Pat is coming out of retirement to play QB for us

In a blockbuster move involving the rights to Andrew Luck, Leonard/Q AND Jim's guitar collection we've acquired Justin Herbert

Reich has devised a revolutionary throw back "No QB" O for next season

Eli is coming out of retirement to play for us, after all one Manning is the same as the next right?

Shane Bieber is switching sports and will start at QB for us next season

etc.

You can propose any rumour but they will have to be approved by the competition committee. A special prize may be awarded for the most humorous burner account handle. 

I would like a one year bridge quarterback.

I don’t like all the other options, they’re going to be way too expensive and will not bring us much closer to the level of play we’re going to need.    Too much risk, not enough reward.

Let’s regroup in 2023 when there should be better options both in the draft and free agency.    As a fan, I can wait a year for better options.   All that said, I don’t think I’m going to get my wish.  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t like all the other options, they’re going to be way too expensive and will not bring us much closer to the level of play we’re going to need.    Too much risk, not enough reward.

Let’s regroup in 2023 when there should be better options both in the draft and free agency.    As a fan, I can wait a year for better options.   All that said, I don’t think I’m going to get my wish.  

Similarly, right now, gut feel is take a bridge in FA. If it works out great, if not draft in 23. Personally I'd take Taylor, if not him then Mariota. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's definitely a rough year, I was reading @stitches viewpoint on how Carr and Jimmy G weren't good enough to compete in the AFC, and I agree. I'm a type of person who generally likes to draft my QB. It works more times then signing or trading for retread QBs (although there are exceptions). The trade up from 47 to 42 makes it so we could move up to the end of the 1st if we wanted a certain QB (if Pickett or Corrall made it to 32, I'd be all over either of them at that spot).

We are going to have to fill some weaknesses somewhere in FA, and some in the draft so it's affordable. Even with 70 million. If I'm filling something in the draft at this point, I'd rather go extreme one way or the other. Trade up to get a QB that falls a bit (if the option presents itself) or trade down a bit from 42 and get an extra 4th round pick (maybe back around to our original spot). That would give us multiple 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders to go BPA with along with a 2nd and 6th. 

In any case, Ballard made a great trade, so I'm looking forward to what he follows it up with.

Voted other.  This year the go with the QB who doesn't take any draft capital to acquire and no long term commitment. See if we can roll some 22 draft capital (and any non-long term players) forward so that we have the fire power to go for our top choice in 2023 draft. Use FA and draft to build for that rookie QB. 

With so many top tier QBs in the AFC the Colts need a better QB than who they can get this year. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted carr, my 2nd choice would be Jimmy g. We are a win now team. Both those QBs would get us in playoffs at worse. Jimmy g would be good here because of our roster and run game. 

Carr and Jimmy G may get us in the division and win us the division (if we are lucky), just not sure if we can win with them. I am in the camp at this point with the Colts that we are the underdogs in the AFC (but with a clear path to the playoffs through an easy division) and we need to get to the playoffs to give ourselves a chance to make a run at the SB. The Bengals were that team last year. Underdogs, and they beat the gauntlet. Carr got the Raiders to the playoffs, and Jimmy G made a SB and two NFC Championships. The question is, can they do it with our receiving core? 

We have Pittman and nothing else at WR and TE. The positive is that either Jimmy G or Carr would attract FAs here. As of right now, that may be an issue for us come FA if we don't have a QB by then, or sign someone like Trubisky, Mariota, or Winston very early in the process. We might have to overpay even more. The cost of Carr will be tremendous to trade for, and Jimmy G will probably be a 2nd or something to that effect IMO.

As we saw though, there was no way we could of afforded Russell Wilson. We have two different opinions on this, but no matter what happens, we need to have a QB to attract FAs unless we overpay, and I know with $70 million in cap space, that's something that Ballard has in the back of his mind.

I never wanted Wentz and posted that. Then he fooled me into thinking he was good. So he won me over then The last 2 games were a kick in the nuts I never want to feel again. Carr and Jimmy both are simply better. Wasting another year of Taylor's career makes no sense by drafting a qb that may not pan out. Imo. Tennessee has wasted Henry's career because they refuse to get rid of Tannehill. 

I don't think we are as "win now" as many want to believe... You don't build your team around the RB. As good as JT is he isn't going to run it through the murderer's row of QBs that you will have to go through to get to SB in the AFC. 

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

I don't think we are as "win now" as many want to believe... You don't build your team around the RB. As good as JT is he isn't going to run it through the murderer's row of QBs that you will have to go through to get to SB in the AFC. 

I disagree. Almost everyone on ESPN were saying we were the one team nobody wanted to play then the last 2 weeks happened. Our roster is as good as the Bengals is and our run game and o.line is better. Last I looked they made the sb 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree. Almost everyone on ESPN were saying we were the one team nobody wanted to play then the last 2 weeks happened. Our roster is as good as the Bengals is and our run game and o.line is better. Last I looked they made the sb 

To follow this up if Andrew luck was our qb we could've been in the sb. With carr or Jimmy g it is possible 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think your view that our roster is as good as the Bengals is a fan’s view.   I think NFL people would tell you otherwise.   We might be someday, but we’re not close today. 

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our roster is definitely not as good as the Bengals.  Our best WR competes for the #2 and there's a good chance he's their #3. Mixon isn't JT but is a top tier RB. Our OL is better. Defense is maybe push. Add on their elite QB and it isn't close. 

When the Colts were on a role they were a team that was dangerous, but more "sneaky upset dangerous" than deeply talented dangerous. The Colts were a Longshot even if they made the playoffs... We don't have the firepower to go toe to toe with the elite QB teams week after week. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Now that we have yesterday out of the way with the news that the Colts have traded Carson Wentz, lets have another fun poll! This isn't who do you think Ballard will sign, trade or draft to replace him, this is who do you want to replace Wentz. I'm going to put a bunch of options in the poll and let you vote. If you want two options, vote on the one you want and say both of them below. This should be a fun conversation starter to see who people like at this point.

Realistically only one name on that list will elevate our QB play enough to get to the super bowl.  Deshawn Watson. And nobody is trading for him given all the sex assault stuff on going and a risk of a major suspension or even jail time. 

outside of that, there rest are the equivalent of crapping in your hand and hoping it turns into at least silver if not gold.

and trading for a mid pack QB with a throwing shoulder injury and rehab would be by far the dumbest thing this team would have done since the Trent Richardson trade

The only trade id be ok with is for Watson, but for several reasons thats not happening. So i say go get a FA like Mariota, Winston, or Trubisky. Spend that cap and go add to the defense. Our recipe to win games isnt going to change. Defense and a steady diet of JT. Go find a proven pass rusher and a LT in FA. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow this up if Andrew luck was our qb we could've been in the sb. With carr or Jimmy g it is possible 

That kick in the nuts you talked about feeling with Wentz, remember it? I can guarantee that's a feeling you'll be rehashing if the QB is Jimmy G or Derek Carr. Just like your uncle is a big Titans fan and said all these things about Tannehill, there are huge chunks of the Niners and Raiders fanbases who want those respective QBs gone to the next sucker, and for good reasons!

If the price of trading up in the draft to ensure you get the rookie QB you love is two 2nd round picks, that's a much more edible price than trading away multiple 1sts AND paying huge wages to a slightly better than good QB and netting out at roughly the same result.

The belief that you have a team that can 'win-now' is one of the most erroneous ones in all of football. It's a nonsense belief. The actual truth is if you have a QB, your window is open. We had Rivers and Mack and got to the playoffs and could have gone further, we got in Wentz and JT played the best season Indy has seen from a RB in decades and we didnt even get a participation trophy. The QB drives the train, the objective should always be trying to position ourselves to get the best one. We don't have a win-now team anyway lol

10 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Sign Mariota and play out the year.  Fire Frank at the end of the season, get a real coach in here that doesn’t need a staff member to remind him to stop calling pass plays and then identify a QB in the draft and get him. 

If the team is to "play out the year" - why bother with bringing in a retread QB?  Why not roll with Sam and an unnamed backup?

I’m in the camp of signing Mariota, mostly because he wouldn’t cost us any draft capitol. Drafting whichever QB they like the most in this years draft and can realistically trade up and get. I know that most guys want to hold off until next years draft but I guess I’m not that patient lol Let Mariota, Sam, and the Rookie battle it out and I’m not against keeping all 3 on the roster.

There is no QB that is a giant leap from Wentz. The Colts are now looking for their 7th QB in as many years. I heard a sports commentator say yesterday Darius Leonard is very unhappy with the Colts' QB situation. 2022 will be another middle-of-the-road years. They will have to rely on the 2023 draft to get them out of the quicksand and there is no guarantee that will work. They do have a large cap position so maybe that will play in.

I personally am much more concerned with the strategy we take, rather than the specific QB we pick. For me there really are 3 strategic options:

1. find our future franchise QB in the draft. This one is not limited to this year - if Ballard and Reich don't like any of the QBs in the draft, I'm good with waiting for 2023. And I'm personally willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Ballard to make his choice and I would support the choice as long as it's clear that this is what we are doing(it has to be legitimate move/pick for a franchise QB - drafting Eason in the 4th is not it).

2. lateral move - replace Wentz with similarly mediocre QB and hope he's is better fit/slightly better option and we can take a step forward with him. I don't want this. This is complete and total waste of time. We will be having the exact same discussions next year if we go this route. 

3. go for broke on a vet franchise QB - the two obvious options are gone. I am not completely opposed to this, but if we are doing it IMO we have to go all in on such a move - restructure contracts, spend money in FA, etc. If we are doing this we also have to do with the understanding and acknowledgement that this is a strategy that may or may not pay off and that we will suffer in the future because of it. 

In essence my preferences go 1>>3 >>2

If we go 1. I like Willis in this draft class and Mariota or Bridgewater as a stop gap until he's ready to play. 

Trubisky because we can get him without any draft capital. I envision him as a bridge QB for next years draft, but if he surprises and put it all together to be a solution I wouldn’t mind of cause. Key thing is to not waste draft capital on anything but a long term solution. This season we might suck but I don’t care. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think your view that our roster is as good as the Bengals is a fan’s view.   I think NFL people would tell you otherwise.   We might be someday, but we’re not close today. 

Other than QB where are they clearly better with the exception of Chase at WR. Before the last 2 weeks happened there was almost nobody picking the Bengals to do anything in the playoffs and a lot were saying we were the team that was dangerous. There wasn't one person in here that said, Bengals are going to the SB that I am aware of. We have a better O.Line and Running game. Anyone that says we can't win now with the right QB, I disagree and it is not me being a fan.

2 hours ago, esmort said:

Our roster is definitely not as good as the Bengals.  Our best WR competes for the #2 and there's a good chance he's their #3. Mixon isn't JT but is a top tier RB. Our OL is better. Defense is maybe push. Add on their elite QB and it isn't close. 

When the Colts were on a role they were a team that was dangerous, but more "sneaky upset dangerous" than deeply talented dangerous. The Colts were a Longshot even if they made the playoffs... We don't have the firepower to go toe to toe with the elite QB teams week after week. 

Up until the last 3 weeks many didn't even have the Bengals making the playoffs. Hindsight is wonderful to you and @NewColtsFan. There was nobody on earth I know that said the Bengals would win the AFC, there was people in the media that said we were dangerous and could possibly shock and win the AFC on ESPN and the NFL Channel. 

I voted Trubisky, but would be fine with Mariota or other (whoever that is)  

I really don't want Jimmy G. He's just ok, and spending more picks for mid level QB who just had surg is not the way to go. 

This season is prob going to suck, but I'd like to see them draft a QB next year (if next year is better class, since this class is supposedly not very good for QBs) 

I just hope they don't listen to whoever talked them into picking Jacob Eason, or hope they don't give up so fast on whoever they pick. 

2 hours ago, esmort said:

So were the Bengals, almost nobody picked them to beat the Titans who has Tannehill lmao . Show me 1 person that picked them to beat KC, you can't. The Bengals roster isn't better than ours if you take their QB off. Put Wentz on the Bengals and give us Burrow. We just need a QB.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

That kick in the nuts you talked about feeling with Wentz, remember it? I can guarantee that's a feeling you'll be rehashing if the QB is Jimmy G or Derek Carr. Just like your uncle is a big Titans fan and said all these things about Tannehill, there are huge chunks of the Niners and Raiders fanbases who want those respective QBs gone to the next sucker, and for good reasons!

If the price of trading up in the draft to ensure you get the rookie QB you love is two 2nd round picks, that's a much more edible price than trading away multiple 1sts AND paying huge wages to a slightly better than good QB and netting out at roughly the same result.

The belief that you have a team that can 'win-now' is one of the most erroneous ones in all of football. It's a nonsense belief. The actual truth is if you have a QB, your window is open. We had Rivers and Mack and got to the playoffs and could have gone further, we got in Wentz and JT played the best season Indy has seen from a RB in decades and we didnt even get a participation trophy. The QB drives the train, the objective should always be trying to position ourselves to get the best one. We don't have a win-now team anyway lol

Jimmy G got to a SB with a good roster + 2 Final 4's. Carr is good but hasn't had the right team around him. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Carr and Jimmy G may get us in the division and win us the division (if we are lucky), just not sure if we can win with them. I am in the camp at this point with the Colts that we are the underdogs in the AFC (but with a clear path to the playoffs through an easy division) and we need to get to the playoffs to give ourselves a chance to make a run at the SB. The Bengals were that team last year. Underdogs, and they beat the gauntlet. Carr got the Raiders to the playoffs, and Jimmy G made a SB and two NFC Championships. The question is, can they do it with our receiving core? 

We have Pittman and nothing else at WR and TE. The positive is that either Jimmy G or Carr would attract FAs here. As of right now, that may be an issue for us come FA if we don't have a QB by then, or sign someone like Trubisky, Mariota, or Winston very early in the process. We might have to overpay even more. The cost of Carr will be tremendous to trade for, and Jimmy G will probably be a 2nd or something to that effect IMO.

As we saw though, there was no way we could of afforded Russell Wilson. We have two different opinions on this, but no matter what happens, we need to have a QB to attract FAs unless we overpay, and I know with $70 million in cap space, that's something that Ballard has in the back of his mind.

We have tons of money now so we can improve in many area's.

Just get Phillip Rivers to commit to one more year, then address the QB situation in 2023, when the market for quarterbacks is improved. If we can't get Rivers, then I'd go for some other band-aid option, like Mariota or Trubisky (although his TD-INT ratio is very concerning).

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I personally am much more concerned with the strategy we take, rather than the specific QB we pick. For me there really are 3 strategic options:

1. find our future franchise QB in the draft. This one is not limited to this year - if Ballard and Reich don't like any of the QBs in the draft, I'm good with waiting for 2023. And I'm personally willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Ballard to make his choice and I would support the choice as long as it's clear that this is what we are doing(it has to be legitimate move/pick for a franchise QB - drafting Eason in the 4th is not it).

Big question here is Jim Irsay willing to wait until 2023 to draft a qb? Jim has made his feelings very public about winning. Signing Mitch Trubisky or Marcus Mariotta doesn't feel like an improvement to anyone.

I concur with you, drafting a qb is the preferable resolution. That would mean a draft package to move up for Willis or Pickett.

4 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Big question here is Jim Irsay willing to wait until 2023 to draft a qb? Jim has made his feelings very public about winning. Signing Mitch Trubisky or Marcus Mariotta doesn't feel like an improvement to anyone.

I concur with you, drafting a qb is the preferable resolution. That would mean a draft package to move up for Willis or Pickett.

That's the thing. We are all assuming that he wants to win right away. I've been doing the same too. But are we sure about it? Are we absolutely 100% certain Irsay means "I want win-now moves" when he says "all in" or does he mean - stop half assing it with bandaids and go find a franchise QB... even if it means in the draft... even if it means in 2023? I'm not sure... the Colts brass just got rid off Wentz and by all indication they did it and were going to release him if they weren't able to trade him, regardless if we had an upgrade secured... Maybe we've been assuming wrong about Ballard's mandate from Irsay. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's the thing. We are all assuming that he wants to win right away. I've been doing the same too. But are we sure about it? Are we absolutely 100% certain Irsay means "I want win-now moves" when he says "all in" or does he mean - stop half assing it with bandaids and go find a franchise QB... even if it means in the draft... even if it means in 2023? 

We have a 2nd and now 2 3rds, who knows, we may draft a QB?

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have a 2nd and now 3 3rds, who knows, we may draft a QB?

We could... I am listening to Kevin Bowen now and he said something interesting... he has a relatively high ranking source with the Colts. He said that last year a day before Rivers retired Bowen was texting his source and he was responding back about different things... but then Bowen told him "I'm hearing Rivers is about to retire, is that true?"... and that's the moment the source went into complete radio silence. No response. He said the same thing happened recently with the same source but Bowen asked about whether we can go for one of the premier QBs in the draft. Complete radio silence after that question. 

I've heard similar stories from other reporters and their sources around sports. When they prod about stuff and they hit on something big that the team doesn't want out there... the source just stops responding altogether.

So... who knows? Maybe... I guess we will see soon enough... 6 weeks or thereabout, right? 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

We could... I am listening to Kevin Bowen now and he said something interesting... he has a relatively high ranking source with the Colts. He said that last year a day before Rivers retired Bowen was texting his source and he was responding back about different things... but then Bowen told him "I'm hearing Rivers is about to retire, is that true?"... and that's the moment the source went into complete radio silence. No response. He said the same thing happened recently with the same source but Bowen asked about whether we can go for one of the premier QBs in the draft. Complete radio silence after that question. 

I've heard similar stories from other reporters and their sources around sports. When they prod about stuff and they hit on something big that the team doesn't want out there... the source just stops responding altogether.

So... who knows? Maybe... I guess we will see soon enough... 6 weeks or thereabout, right? 

Who we may draft is anyone's guess because this would be a huge decision. Man Ballard has a tough job but that is why he makes the big bucks.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jimmy G got to a SB with a good roster + 2 Final 4's. Carr is good but hasn't had the right team around him. 

Do the Colts have a roster anywhere close to what Jimmy G had? If we cant be honest with ourselves about what kind of team we have, we will make terminal errors in judgement. This is a QB who is not ready to take over games, he's a game manager. I'll give him this, he isnt Carson Wentz in the sense that he will gladly play the game manager role and limit mistakes unlike Carson but if you don't like Tannehill, i don't see how you'd want to pay big bucks for a guy who is Tannehill minus the wheels.

Carr is good and is probably a better bet to replicate what Stafford did in LA but even with him, you'd better get your valuation right. 

If you bring these guys in, it's unlikely that they accept the terms and conditions Wentz did i.e. i bet they'd expect a guaranteed minimum of multi year deal that puts them in the range of top 5 earners in the league. I think these guys would give us what Kirk Cousins has given the Vikings i.e. a lot of teasing, a lot of divided fans, never what you want. 

One other thing we're not talking about is the opportunity cost with these two QBs, if you bring in either of these guys then the odds are you are sitting out the draft in 2022 or 2023. For me, it's just not worth it, let other teams bring them in and take those risks. I'd rather risk it with a rookie than these two. 

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Do the Colts have a roster anywhere close to what Jimmy G had? If we cant be honest with ourselves about what kind of team we have, we will make terminal errors in judgement. This is a QB who is not ready to take over games, he's a game manager. I'll give him this, he isnt Carson Wentz in the sense that he will gladly play the game manager role and limit mistakes unlike Carson but if you don't like Tannehill, i don't see how you'd want to pay big bucks for a guy who is Tannehill minus the wheels.

Carr is good and is probably a better bet to replicate what Stafford did in LA but even with him, you'd better get your valuation right. 

If you bring these guys in, it's unlikely that they accept the terms and conditions Wentz did i.e. i bet they'd expect a guaranteed minimum of multi year deal that puts them in the range of top 5 earners in the league. I think these guys would give us what Kirk Cousins has given the Vikings i.e. a lot of teasing, a lot of divided fans, never what you want. 

One other thing we're not talking about is the opportunity cost with these two QBs, if you bring in either of these guys then the odds are you are sitting out the draft in 2022 or 2023. For me, it's just not worth it, let other teams bring them in and take those risks. I'd rather risk it with a rookie than these two. 

SF has a slightly better roster because their D.Line is great but our O.Line is right with them and I would take Taylor over Deebo and Deebo is great. I am not sure where some are saying we don't have a good roster. Yes we need a LT and another playmaker at WR but we have 7 pro-bowlers so the NFL thinks we have a very good roster.

Archived