Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DougDew said:

So this is really coming down to which teams want Winston, and which teams want/afford Ryan.  SEA and CLE could trade Mayfield independent of what DW decides.

I just don't see where Ryan and Winston are such hot commodities that its holding up other teams from getting their QB.

If everything is going to be waiting on DW, then there is going to be a flurry of teams competing over the next best QB.  If they wait, he may be gone or more expensive because now another team is looking. 

It just seems that if a team truly wants a QB, they should go do their thing now before the market starts its flurry. 

I guess this says that we are interested in either Ryan or Winston....or nobody.  

It would also appear to be a case of can Mayfield force his way out of Cleveland?   And what I’m reading, he would appear to be trying.   Since Seattle is interested, and Mayfield has listed the Colts as one of his preferred destinations,  then the calculus changes for everyone until we see how this plays out.  

That’s my read of things. 

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Carson Wentz this past season was not worse than Brissett in 2019. Wentz had better completion percentage, more passing yards, more passing touchdowns, had 1 more interception than Brisset (guess he's worse in that category) and a higher QB rating. Carson had better stats than Brissett did... He is not worse than Brissett.

The WHO matters, it always does. If Carson's baseline was average, then of course, we can find average play with most QBs. If the Colts are trying to save money or draft capital on QB, then we're in the same boat as we were before. 

No, I don't think Ballard called the Texans expecting a yes. I think the call shouldn't have even been made. Ballard called to attempt to speak with Watson but Houston declined. Why even try to put any due diligence there in the first place? Don't you find that a little surprising? I think Ballard is trying to scrape at the bottom of the barrel here. 

He was worse by DVOA. He made worse decisions.

The WHO matters only if you are getting someone markedly better. That's the point, we're in the same boat except we're not giving away draft assets for players who're not great.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It would also appear to be a case of can Mayfield force his way out of Cleveland?   And what I’m reading, he would appear to be trying.   Since Seattle is interested, and Mayfield has listed the Colts as one of his preferred destinations,  then the calculus changes for everyone until we see how this plays out.  

It's all just so fluid. 

Ryan doesn't have a no trade clause, but my sense is, if he wants to come here, the Falcons will do right by him and send him here.  As a parting gift for his years of service, they won't send him on a vacation to Cleveland.  

43 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm sure he would be fine with Seattle 

I'm not so sure. Seattle has Drew Lock and will be in a rebuild. And I'm sure Ryan would NOT want to play outside in Seattle, when we have a nice dome.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Saw something that said Falcons are finishing up contact details on Watson and colts and Falcons are working on trade details for Ryan. Can’t verify though if it as a fake rumor.

I feel like everything is a false rumor right now just trying to stir up the pot & keep fans entertained until Watson makes a decision 

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Saw something that said Falcons are finishing up contact details on Watson and colts and Falcons are working on trade details for Ryan. Can’t verify though if it as a fake rumor.

I’ll assume it’s fake until proven true.

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That’s not true. Ryan isn’t coming off a much better season than Rivers was in 2019. It was worse in many ways. 

To add, Rivers was only one year removed from playing at a PB level too. It’s been about 3 years since Ryan has done that.

Just now, shasta519 said:

That’s not true. Ryan isn’t coming off a much better season than Rivers was in 2019. It was worse in many ways. 

To add, Rivers was only one year removed from playing at a PB level too. It’s been about 3 years since Ryan has done that.

Ryan defintly had a better season in 2021 then rivers had in 2019. 

22 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

He was worse by DVOA. He made worse decisions.

The WHO matters only if you are getting someone markedly better. That's the point, we're in the same boat except we're not giving away draft assets for players who're not great.

That’s your opinion, not factual. 

Yes, we’re in the same boat still. We will have a QB who plays just like Wentz, if not worse, but at least we still have money and a couple extra picks. There’s the trade off. 

I don't know about all the Rivers/Ryan comparisons.  Ryan certainly isn't a statue in the sense Rivers was a statue.  He bootlegs and moves quite a bit.  Hell, he's burned us on a few read options in the past.

That said, I would rather he stay upright and available anyway.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ryan defintly had a better season in 2021 then rivers had in 2019. 

According to what? 

Rivers' 2019 season was better (way better in some) in many stats...EPA/play, CPOE, Success Rate, DVOA, Y/A, ANY/A, Air Yards, TD%, Yards/Game, QBR, etc.

Ryan's 2021 season had a slightly higher completion % and a slightly higher passer rating (due to Rivers' having a higher INT rate).

In a comparison of two seasons, Rivers was definitely better. And his success in IND was easy to see coming, based on his more recent track record and if he just cut down on his INTs (which he did).

I am not against trading for Ryan, but this narrative that "the Colts would be getting a QB coming off a way better season" has no basis.

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

U don't want Mayfield 

At this point getting our QB for this season reminds me of those days of rummaging through the $4.99 cd bin at Walmart...

You may find something you can live with, but that greatest hits CD always has that one song you really like - except it's an inexplicable live version of it...

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U don't want Mayfield 

I don’t really want Ryan but I’d rather take a flyer on Baker than an aging Ryan, price depending of course. Anymore than what we got for Wentz would be a turn off

Just now, Pelt said:

At this point getting our QB for this season reminds me of those days of rummaging through the $4.99 cd bin at Walmart...

You may find something you can live with, but that greatest hits CD always has that one song you really like - except it's an inexplicable live version of it...

4.99? Heck I remember when that was the price for a newly released CD! Back when .99 would be the bargain bin

2 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Interesting analogy but yes

Just now, csmopar said:

I don’t really want Ryan but I’d rather take a flyer on Baker than an aging Ryan, price depending of course. Anymore than what we got for Wentz would be a turn off

Baker comes with a rocket arm, turn over machine and a child like attitude. No thanks. Even if they couldn't land Watson , they were quite prepared to move on.  I would go with Ryan. He is a perfect bridge qb for another young qb. He fits Reichs scheme perfectly.  Winston is a deep passer much like Wentz. If  Falcons move to Watson, the Colts should get Ryan for peanuts. No one is really needing a qb.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Baker comes with a rocket arm, turn over machine and a child like attitude. No thanks. Even if they couldn't land Watson , they were quite prepared to move on.  I would go with Ryan. He is a perfect bridge qb for another young qb. He fits Reichs scheme perfectly.  Winston is a deep passer much like Wentz. If  Falcons move to Watson, the Colts should get Ryan for peanuts. No one is really needing a qb.

I don't see another team having the cap space to fit Ryan in, without moving things around.  And I don't know what team would want to do that for him.  So the price should not be that high, IMO.

Sounds like SEA might be interested and have the space, but they are also an NFC team.  It sounds more exploratory interest than real at this point.

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U don't want Mayfield 

I want the best quarterback I can get for  the least amount of cost in picks and cash.   Picks being more valuable.  

And I’ll trust the judgement of Frank and Chris as to who that will be.   I’ve heard plenty about Mayfield, both good and bad, so I have no real dog in the fight. 

If we go with Ryan, fine.  
If we go with Baker, fine. 
If we go with Winston, I’ll be ok, but concerned. 

Everyone else, the Mariotta’s of the world, we can wait on until the rest is hashed out. 

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

That is not what I am saying. What I am saying is it appears that if that was their original plan, then they don't appear to have a decent backup plan, or at least they have not been able to execute it.

If your plan calls for an excess of patience and you rush gungho into decision making, i'd argue that your plan has failed. I think their plan seems to call for a lot of patience rather than overpaying for average. Considering what they got for Wentz, and what San Fran cant get for Jimmy, i think patience is the right choice. 

It sounds mean but the fact is when you have a team cornered, dont let them escape. Same thing on game day, stomp them into the ground. Why rush into a decision? Whats the benefit? Keeping the fans quiet? (which won't happen, it'll just give fans something to argue about)

54 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

That’s your opinion, not factual. 

Yes, we’re in the same boat still. We will have a QB who plays just like Wentz, if not worse, but at least we still have money and a couple extra picks. There’s the trade off. 

DVOA isnt my opinion though. And QB rating isnt a great way to judge QB play. Neither is completion percentage or TD:INT ratio, God and the angels know Wentz should have had far more INTs than he actually had.

Money and draft picks >>>> no money and burnt draft picks

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I want the best quarterback I can get for  the least amount of cost in picks and cash.   Picks being more valuable.  

And I’ll trust the judgement of Frank and Chris as to who that will be.   I’ve heard plenty about Mayfield, both good and bad, so I have no real dog in the fight. 

If we go with Ryan, fine.  
If we go with Baker, fine. 
If we go with Winston, I’ll be ok, but concerned. 

Everyone else, the Mariotta’s of the world, we can wait on until the rest is hashed out. 

Baker to me is a hard no. I disliked him immensely because of his attitude. I believe he is still that person based on the Browns willingness to move him.

2 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Interesting, but if we were to get Jimmy G, why did we not hire him already? If we are not interested in Ryan, waiting for Watson won't matter.

I can only assume that would be SF holding things up waiting for more of a demand for JG once the Watson fiasco is settled.

Archived