Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 NFL Combine Day 1(QBs, WRs, TEs)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christian Watson was my draft crush going in. He dominated Senior Bowl practices. He runs great routes. He can take the top off.  He’s an excellent blocker. He looked great today.  He’s not getting out of the second round. 

Skyy Moore and Austin III we’re impressive. 

The two TE’s I liked going in was Dulcich and Woods.  Both looked great. Bi don’t expect Jelani Woods to run that fast. He’s got Colt written all over him. 

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I was impressed with Carson Strong and his arm strength. 

He was throwing it all over the field and had some nice deep throws

I thought Strong’s throws were very inconsistent especially considering he wasn’t being rushed.  I did like Ridder. 

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I thought Strong’s throws were very inconsistent especially considering he wasn’t being rushed.  I did like Ridder. 

He has a strong arm, but everything seemed to hit low. Reminds me if Jacob Eason throwing the ball. 

8 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

4 - Wan'Dale Robinson.  I was expecting something more.  I knew he was small and slippery.  But I thought he would be faster than this.  I thought he would look smoother than this.  Where was the "it" factor that I saw in his highlights?  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the kid.  And I wasn't truly disappointed.  But I wasn't wow'ed either.

4.44 is plenty fast for the NFL. Plus always remember it’s the tape that matters. He’s the definition of a playmaker on field. Don’t let the combine make you overthink a good player.

Here are the official times for some of the WRs(some of the times that pop on the screen while they are running are unofficial):

Great showing for Chris Olave. I really want him on the Colts. No idea why but some analysts thought he might be a 4.5 guy. He's constantly running away from defenders so I thought he'd test fast and he did. 

All those in the tweet have plenty of speed to play fast in the NFL. This is a good draft to go get a speedy receiver. Alec Pierce's time is very impressive too, considering he's 6'3".

Adding some more official times here for players I'm interested in or ones that are getting day 1 -day 2 buzz:

Wan'Dale Robinson 4.44

George Pickens 4.47 

Jalen Tolbert 4.49 

Treylon Burks 4.55 - probably won't go as high as I thought he would(top 15) with that time... but still possible 1st rounder?

Some official TE numbers: 

Chig Okonkwo 4.52

Jelani Woods 4.61

Grant Calcaterra 4.62

Daniel bellinger 4.63

Greg Dulcich 4.70

The QBs... I didn't believe Ridder would rrun 4.5 but he did. He ran official 4.52, which is great... it's a bit of a shame he is not used more in the run game with all that speed... but I guess... they don't want to risk him getting injured with his slight frame. 

44 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Cooper Kupp  4.62    

True, Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald weren’t burners based on 40 times either but like Kupp, knew how to read Ds and get open. 

I’m interested in 3-cone numbers and  other drills that measure short area quickness.  That’s when you get the complete picture.

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True, Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald weren’t burners based on 40 times either but like Kupp, knew how to read Ds and get open. 

I’m interested in 3-cone numbers and  other drills that measure short area quickness.  That’s when you get the complete picture.

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/live-results/3-cone-drill/wr/all-colleges/

Reminder:

Receivers in the NFL do not get open by pure foot speed.  They get open by being able to make precise cuts at the top of the route without losing much speed.

With that, TE Austin Allen's 40 was 4.83, but he was the second fastest and fastest in 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone, 4.26 sec and 7.0 seconds.  Not bad for the big guy.

The 4.26 would have placed him 4th for WRs, and the 7.0 3rd among the WRs.  Not sure if height/length helps with those scores or what is going on.

I don't think that Dotson and W'D Robinson impressed, in the sense of pure combine stats.  And Robinson has some tiny hands.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Receivers in the NFL do not get open by pure foot speed.  They get open by being able to make precise cuts at the top of the route without losing much speed.

Absolutely! Also, the ability to regulate your speed throughout your routes to set up CBs. Both are reasons why guys like Kupp that aren't blazing fast, but are extremely technically sound and savvy, are so successful.

With that, TE Austin Allen's 40 was 4.83, but he was the second fastest and fastest in 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone, 4.26 sec and 7.0 seconds.  Not bad for the big guy.

Really solid outing for him!

I don't think that Dotson and W'D Robinson impressed, in the sense of pure combine stats.  And Robinson has some tiny hands.

I was pretty disappointed by those 2, but Calvin Austin III had a fantastic combine! I still really like Dotson, but Austin has become another favorite of mine. I think he's exactly what this offense needs.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO they don't train and prepare for it a lot and not many of them ran it.

That was my first thought. Based on their film, I'm not too concerned by the 3 cone time. It's not something that shows up as a glaring weakness on film for either of them.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

I was pretty disappointed by those 2, but Calvin Austin III had a fantastic combine! I still really like Dotson, but Austin has become another favorite of mine. I think he's exactly what this offense needs.

Of the shorter WRs, I think Skye Moore had the best combo of times.  

And an under the radar guy who did well, Jalen Nailor, Mich St.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of the shorter WRs, I think Skye Moore had the best combo of times.  

I don't agree.

Calvin Austin III:

40 Yard Dash - 4.32

Bench Press --

Vertical Jump - 39

Broad Jump - 135

3 Cone Drill --

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.07

Skyy Moore:

40 Yard Dash - 4.41

Bench Press --

Vertical Jump - 34.5

Broad Jump - 125

3 Cone Drill - 7.13

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.32

Austin beat him in every single drill both did. Austin didn't run the 3 cone, but Moore didn't do great at it.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't agree.

Calvin Austin III:

40 Yard Dash - 4.32

Bench Press --

Vertical Jump - 39

Broad Jump - 135

3 Cone Drill --

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.07

Skyy Moore:

40 Yard Dash - 4.41

Bench Press --

Vertical Jump - 34.5

Broad Jump - 125

3 Cone Drill - 7.13

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.32

Austin beat him in every single drill both did. Austin didn't run the 3 cone, but Moore didn't do great at it.

Austin is quite the athlete, but the 5'8" 170 concerns me.   Moore is 5'10 195, with over 10 inch hands.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Austin is quite the athlete, but the 5'8" 170 concerns me.   Moore is 5'10 195, with over 10 inch hands.

Man, I went into yesterday thinking I wanted either Austin or Moore in the 3rd (or 4th if they fell).  Came out thinking we’d be fortunate if Skyy fell to our 2nd or Austin to our 3rd.  Skyy looked better in the drills by a good margin, but either would be a huge improvement over the middle for us…

BTW, don’t know if anyone pointed this out, but how weird would it be to come to TC with two Sky* Moores next year?  Even weirder than having two Shon* Davises in the safety corps last TC…

41 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't agree.

Calvin Austin III:

40 Yard Dash - 4.32

Bench Press --

Vertical Jump - 39

Broad Jump - 135

3 Cone Drill --

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.07

Skyy Moore:

40 Yard Dash - 4.41

Bench Press --

Vertical Jump - 34.5

Broad Jump - 125

3 Cone Drill - 7.13

20 Yd Shuttle - 4.32

For a tall enough guy, Jalen Tolbert did very well in the 3-cone, IMO.  Kevin Austin Jr. of Notre Dame had a well rounded day too and you have to consider the strength of schedule and competition Notre Dame played as well to evaluate him. I bet Tolbert runs all his dashes in his Pro Day.

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

Man, I went into yesterday thinking I wanted either Austin or Moore in the 3rd (or 4th if they fell).  Came out thinking we’d be fortunate if Skyy fell to our 2nd or Austin to our 3rd.  Skyy looked better in the drills by a good margin, but either would be a huge improvement over the middle for us…

BTW, don’t know if anyone pointed this out, but how weird would it be to come to TC with two Sky* Moores next year?  Even weirder than having two Shon* Davises in the safety corps last TC…

There are a lot of good players in many positions.  I think Moore will be there at 47.  I think we need more of an outside guy than a slot, so I'm still hoping for Jalen Tolbert.  He and Pitt would make for a good duo.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

There are a lot of good players in many positions.  I think Moore will be there at 47.  I think we need more of an outside guy than a slot, so I'm still hoping for Jalen Tolbert.  He and Pitt would make for a good duo.

I’m the opposite.  I think we were missing slot skills last year.  I like Patmon, Strachan, and Dulin on the outside, but we’ve only got Parris “Mr. Availability” Campbell for the slot…

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

I’m the opposite.  I think we were missing slot skills last year.  I like Patmon, Strachan, and Dulin on the outside, but we’ve only got Parris “Mr. Availability” Campbell for the slot…

I think we need a guy that can play both, to be honest. A guy that can go in motion, play the slot where it is hard to double team or start outside and go inside with good route running skills to separate. The way Frank uses WRs, he uses them all over the place, IMO. We need a guy that can stress different levels. 

George Pickens ran a 4.43.  Thats pretty good for a WR thats 6'3.

He's coming off an ACL injury so I could see him falling in the draft.

Keep in mind that Keenan Allen came off an ACL injury as well and fell to the 3rd round.  That's a steal.

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think we need a guy that can play both, to be honest. A guy that can go in motion, play the slot where it is hard to double team or start outside and go inside with good route running skills to separate. The way Frank uses WRs, he uses them all over the place, IMO. We need a guy that can stress different levels. 

I’m thinking that way too.  Kind of leaning towards Skyy in the 2nd, because he could also play outside (Whereas Austin is pure slot)…

2 hours ago, Archer said:

With Pascal hopefully gone, those guys should fight for only the #4 and #5 WR spots, IMO.

14 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Cooper Kupp  4.62    

13 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Cooper Kupp is great despite running a 4.62, not because he ran a 4.62.

Exactly, you can’t look at the outlier and expect someone you like to be an outlier as well. When it’s super rare for that to happen. 

Christian Watson has definitely helped his draft position with the combine. I heard he runs really nice routes. 

I wish Samori Toure had got invited to the combine but will look forward to see his pro day. Still think he may be a good mid to late round addition that could fit in our slot wr spot

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Christian Watson has definitely helped his draft position with the combine. I heard he runs really nice routes. 

I wish Samori Toure had got invited to the combine but will look forward to see his pro day. Still think he may be a good mid to late round addition that could fit in our slot wr spot

Watson has been both the star of the senior bowl week and the combine. I’m afraid he’s going to be long gone by pick #47. 

18 hours ago, Archer said:

We had a solid slot receiver in Zach Pascal. When Rivers was the QB he had 600+ receiving yards. He had similar production with Jacoby Brissett. Wentz just doesn’t read the field well.

I wouldn’t mind a more speedy slot option, but lack of skill at the Y receiver issue isn’t the issue.

23 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Cooper Kupp is great despite running a 4.62, not because he ran a 4.62.

What a very low level look at the point.

Kupp is the perfect example of why speed is drastically over rated.

He is great because of his mind and he plays with suddeness, quickness.

Perhaps we can look at it as there are very few high level FB minds so they must rely on speed.

As we watch these speedsters often get "over drafted" and become models of mediocrity or fail.

Archived