Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 NFL Combine Day 1(QBs, WRs, TEs)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well….  We have the answer to the question about the hand size for Kenny Pickett. 

Maybe the hand massage thing worked for him?   The hot rumor was his hand was 8 1/4 inches.   Tiny for a QB.  

The official measurement is….  8 1/2.  Better than expected but still the smallest in the NFL by far.   But, adding to the intrigue is that Pickett’s right thumb is double-jointed.  This is said to allow his thumb to go in an unusual angle that enables him to grip the ball well enough. 

Will teams buy into this?   Dunno?   But we’re going to find out soon enough. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  We have the answer to the question about the hand size for Kenny Pickett. 

Maybe the hand massage thing worked for him?   The hot rumor was his hand was 8 1/4 inches.   Tiny for a QB.  

The official measurement is….  8 1/2.  Better than expected but still the smallest in the NFL by far.   But, adding to the intrigue is that Pickett’s right thumb is double-jointed.  This is said to allow his thumb to go in an unusual angle that enables him to grip the ball well enough. 

Will teams buy into this?   Dunno?   But we’re going to find out soon enough. 

I don't buy the double jointed thing. I don't know how anyone figures out if it helps or hinders him. His fumbles stats are horrible in college(don't remember the exact number but it was about 30!!!!) and his ball security, accuracy and power suffered in the bad weather at the Senior Bowl. 

I'm very much in the camp of - it's not a problem unless it's a problem on tape... but to me it's very clear it actually IS a problem on tape when it comes to Pickett. Now, that's just one problem... many players are successful while having problems in their games, so now the question is - can he be successful with that problem and that's the question many teams will have to ask themselves about Pickett, IMO. 

some 40 times of the TEs

Greg Dulcich - 4.61

Jake Ferguson - 4.77

Jeremiah Hall - 4.79

Connor Heyward - 4.73

Curtis Hodges - 4.80

Chigoziem Okonkwo 4.54!!!!

Cole Turner - 4.76

Jelani Woods 4.61

Austin Allen 4.79

Daniel Bellinger 4.63

Grant Calcaterra 4.63

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

some 40 times of the TEs

Greg Dulcich - 4.61

Jake Ferguson - 4.77

Jeremiah Hall - 4.79

Connor Heyward - 4.73

Curtis Hodges - 4.80

Cole Turner - 4.76

Jelani Woods 4.61

Austin Allen 4.79

Daniel Bellinger 4.63

Grant Calcaterra 4.63

You had Dulcich in your mock and I’m becoming a fan. On tape he makes a lot of explosive plays, and he’s testing great at the Combine so far. Looks solid in the blocking drills. You know how Ballard likes those explosive playmakers.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

You had Dulcich in your mock and I’m becoming a fan. On tape he makes a lot of explosive plays, and he’s testing great at the Combine so far. Looks solid in the blocking drills. You know how Ballard likes those explosive playmakers.

I was hoping we might get him in the 4th or something... but Jeremiah just had him in his top 50 so... if NFL teams see him similarly, he won't last til day 3. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Woods looks good even in the pass-catching drills... @Superman

Just realized he weighed in at 253, I think he's always been listed at 265. So he probably trimmed down for the Combine. Nothing wrong with that, but probably explains why his over achieved in the 40.

And yeah, he looks good all around today, he's putting up a winning performance in every drill. 

50 minutes ago, stitches said:

some 40 times of the TEs

Greg Dulcich - 4.61

Jake Ferguson - 4.77

Jeremiah Hall - 4.79

Connor Heyward - 4.73

Curtis Hodges - 4.80

Cole Turner - 4.76

Jelani Woods 4.61

Austin Allen 4.79

Daniel Bellinger 4.63

Grant Calcaterra 4.63

Do you have Charlie Kolar's 40?

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Do you have Charlie Kolar's 40?

Didn't run If I'm not mistaken. Not sure if there's another group of TEs that's about to run, but it seems like several of the top ones didn't run - Wydermyer, Likely, McBride, Kolar... none of them ran so far... 

If Corral is truly 6'2",  212,  which is Mac Jones size, with 9 5/8 hands, he's my new favorite QB in the draft.

Kolar had great production in college.  His 40 time will probably not help elevate him.  6'6", 10 inch hands and over 34 inch arms is very nice though.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Calvin Austin III is having a day

39” vertical and 11’3” on the Broad. Absurd for someone only 5’7”

ran 4.32 40 now. He might go day 2 . 

Only 2 QBs ran 40. None of the big names. 

Some WR 40 times:

Calvin Austin III 4.32

Kevin Austin Jr - 4.37

David Bell - 4.64

Slade Bolden - 4.63

Treylon Burks - 4.50

Dai'Jean Dixon - 4.66

Jahan Dotson - 4.41

Dontario Drummond 4.65

Ty Fryfogle 4.49

Danny Gray 4.33

Johnny Johnson III - 4.51

Velus Jones Jr - 4.32

Bo Melton 4.34

Skyy Moore - 4.39

Jalen Nailor - 4.47

I am not much of a college football guy so I don't know many of the players.      

I did some mock simulators today and the 2 I read about were Jake Ferguson from Wisc. and Grant Calcaterra   from SMU.   both interesting for different reasons

Anyone have thoughts on these guys?  They will most likely be available with our 3rd/4th from what I've seen. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I guess Jalen Tolbert did not run?

Lots of fast times at the WR spot, and some at the TE spot.  Should push some good players down.

He just ran now. 4.44u

Also Desmond Ridder is super fast. 4.50u is crazy for a QB.

WHAT I SAW AT THE COMBINE TODAY

Yes, I was one of the many fans that went to the stadium to watch in person.  Sure didn't look like 10,000 people.  Maybe half that.

#1 - TE Jake Ferguson left me Very Disappointed.  Just looking at the guy, I was like dude where is your muscle definition?  Haven't you been working out at all?  I thought you were a run-blocking TE?  I didn't see explosiveness.  I didn't see athleticism.  When they were supposed to push Fred the Sled, he just pushed it high and ran in place.  WTH???  Where's the upside???  In comparison, Trey McBride looked great!  Of course, we knew he would.  Rich Eisen's favorite, Greg Dulcich did not disappoint.  Athletic.  Explosive.  Great hands.  And I got turned on to the 6-7 giant from Virginia, Jelani Woods.  HE showed athleticism.  HE showed explosiveness.  HE showed upside.  I've read that the knock on the former QB is that he hasn't played TE very long, and still hasn't fully figured out the position.  You know what this looks like?  Upside!

#2 - Fan favorite WR David Bell.  I was worried that he was going to have a slow 40 time.  I didn't know it was gonna be that slow.  4.62 was his best time.  Ewwwww.  Yeah, yeah, Cooper Kupp had the same time.  But not everybody is Cooper Kupp.  And the biggest knock on our WR group is that they can't ever seem to create separation.  Um...  "You can't teach speed."

#3 - Jahan Dotson looked good.  He ran a 4.41, which he personally was disappointed with.  But he had GREAT hands.  And ran smooth routes.  Ok, he's 5-10 and change, and very light.  But I would draft him in a heartbeat.  He looked That Good.

#4 - Wan'Dale Robinson.  I was expecting something more.  I knew he was small and slippery.  But I thought he would be faster than this.  I thought he would look smoother than this.  Where was the "it" factor that I saw in his highlights?  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the kid.  And I wasn't truly disappointed.  But I wasn't wow'ed either.

On a side note --

WR Chris Olave made everybody swallow their collective tongues when he ran his 4.26 40 time.

Although Kenny Pickett was the QB that everyone was talking about, I thought that Kent State's Dustin Crum looked good throwing the football.  And I still have a thing for Desmond Ridder.  I hope the Steelers draft him.

7 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't buy the double jointed thing. I don't know how anyone figures out if it helps or hinders him. His fumbles stats are horrible in college(don't remember the exact number but it was about 30!!!!) and his ball security, accuracy and power suffered in the bad weather at the Senior Bowl. 

I'm very much in the camp of - it's not a problem unless it's a problem on tape... but to me it's very clear it actually IS a problem on tape when it comes to Pickett. Now, that's just one problem... many players are successful while having problems in their games, so now the question is - can he be successful with that problem and that's the question many teams will have to ask themselves about Pickett, IMO. 

They mentioned 26 fumbles for Pickett today on the Dan Patrick show.  I can’t imagine an outdoor team like Pittsburgh being interested.  Right now he would have the smallest hands of any QB in the NFL.   No thanks.  In case you’re interested.  The QB with the largest hand size is Russell Wilson.

Archived