Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

The Colts and Vikings had the lowest vaccination rate in the league. A league that had around a 95% vaccination rate. Irsay is obviously PO’d about it. The Colts started 0-3 after a bunch of starters including Wentz were deemed close contacts to Fisher just prior to the start of the season.  They lost valuable time. Then finish 0-2 after a bunch of the team tests positive.  Some can take that video as a shot at Wentz or it can be a shot at the entire group who we’re unvaccinated. 

Listening to Rodgers whine on McAfee’s show about the world rooting against him because of his vaccination status makes a Rodgers-Irsay team unlikely. 

If I’m Ballard I’m taking a shot at Wilson. The Colts can offer them a package similar to what Detroit got from the Rams without hindering their ability to improve the team around Wilson. If they can’t land him then most likely they’re stuck with Wentz. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irsay's somewhat right but not really. The Niners may get to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G for the second time in 3 years. Goff was in the Super Bowl the year before. You can get away with not having a top QB, but they can't lose you the game. The problem with Wentz is he loses you games.

It's why I had said down the stretch; Wentz needed to be made into a game manager. If you don't have a great QB, that's your path to win in the playoffs. Limit mistakes, don't have your QB lose you the game.

That's why the Titans won playoff games the last few years, they didn't let Tannehill throw the ball. Then this year, Henry wasn't fit meaning he had to throw it, and guess what; 3 picks. Lost them the game.

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

Irsay's somewhat right but not really. The Niners may get to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G for the second time in 3 years. Goff was in the Super Bowl the year before. You can get away with not having a top QB, but they can't lose you the game. The problem with Wentz is he loses you games.

It's why I had said down the stretch; Wentz needed to be made into a game manager. If you don't have a great QB, that's your path to win in the playoffs. Limit mistakes, don't have your QB lose you the game.

That's why the Titans won playoff games the last few years, they didn't let Tannehill throw the ball. Then this year, Henry wasn't fit meaning he had to throw it, and guess what; 3 picks. Lost them the game.

If you have a guy like Jimmy you better have a too 5 or better defense because he isn’t going to get you a lot of points.

6 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Bolded responses. Good stuff @CurBeatElite

I agree, I like Reichs offense and think he is a very smart coach.  I think he has a very good offensive mind, but he's been hampered with talent level of his players to really open it up.  Year 1 with Luck was probably the best O he's had, but we didn’t have the line or running game we have now. With Brissett he was hampered by the qb and had to design the O/call plays to mask that weakness. Rivers lacked WR quality and he had no mobility as a QB and JT struggled a bit early on. This year our pass blocking declined, Wentz has mobility but not accuracy like Rivers and lacked WR talent, so he had to rely heavier on the run game.

Now, I agree this is moving to a passing league.  That said, the best way to beat Mahommes is to keep him off the field and a run game that can execute long drives and score is a major plus.  That game (kc vs buff) was an anomaly. KC was executing 8-9 min drives and scoring without running much, but Mahommes wasn't throwing incompletions.  That is very rare.

The best Os I remember from Colts are Peyton years when we had play action as an option.  Our O was so balanced, teams were afraid of our run and our pass.  We could almost use our pass game to set up the run and our run game we could definitely use to set up the pass. Reich hasn't had the talent across the board yet to open it up to that level. 

5 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Come on! They won 9 games and even 2 of them are in their Conference title games. Wentz wasn’t even close to worst QB in the league. Just stop it!

Yea, Wentz had his moments. He was awful week 18, and had some bone headed plays throughout the year, but overall he was OK.  With better weapons, I think he'd be a little better. Don't expect him to be a qb who can put the team on his back week in and week out and mask a bunch of deficiencies, but he can win in this league with a solid supporting cast, I think.

53 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Strange that the tweet came out at 1:20 AM.

Maybe Irsay was just drunk tweeting.

Not that it was the intention, but jabs at Irsay's sobriety really irk me. He has had his substance abuse issues and will always have that battle the rest of his life, but I find it in really bad taste to attribute any outlandish comment he makes to him relapsing and using again.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

I hope Ballard was on the phone with Trubiskys agent early monday morning !!!

I hope not, because that's tampering. Trubisky is still under contract until the end of the league year.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

So Rodgers kept talking about if he even wants to keep playing. That is not a guy to being in if you want a long term answer. 

You get Aaron Rodgers or any other older QB to win now.  Not long term. 

There is no long term in the NFL anyway unless you have a great QB who sticks around.  

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You get Aaron Rodgers or any other older QB to win now.  Not long term. 

There is no long term in the NFL anyway unless you have a great QB who sticks around.  

That’s why you don’t give up first round picks because it doesn’t allow them to get a successor to sit behind him and your no where close to finding the long term answer. At some point the QB hamster wheel has to stop. Getting another one year bandaid and hurting the chances of being able to get one in the draft is not smart.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

That’s why you don’t give up first round picks because it doesn’t allow them to get a successor to sit behind him and your no where close to finding the long term answer. At some point the QB hamster wheel has to stop. Getting another one year bandaid and hurting the chances of being able to get one in the draft is not smart.

The reality is this.  One of these 6 things is going to be true:

1.  The Colts like many NFL teams, Hell most NFL teams, won't find their long term solution at QB for a . . . watch this. . . long time.

2.  The Colts will get lucky and draft the long term solution not at the top of the draft.  (This is rare.)

3.  The Colts will be really bad sometime in the next few years, get their own high draft pick and draft their long term answer.

4.  The Colts will find a long term answer in free agency.

5.  The Colts will trade up some time and find their long term answer at QB.

6.  The Colts have the long term answer already on the roster. 

Some of these are less likely than others, but only a handful of teams have stability at QB for very long. We were fortunate for the better part of 20 years with PM and AL.  But most teams don't get long term QB solutions.

The problem with the colts last year isn’t that we relied on the run too much, it’s that it had to do too much.  JT was getting only 20 carries a game, if that.

I honestly don’t get why people think we ran the ball down peoples throat.  It’s just that JT was that productive where he can get yards off of limited carries.

the problem is that when the run was working, the pass wasn’t working.  When the run wasn’t working, the pass wasn’t working.

for people trying to say this is a “told you so” moment, it’s not.  If anything this makes wentz and the offense look bad.  

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Kenny Moore apparently liked a tweet of a meme about wanting Aaron Rodgers.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Wentz from a teammate.

If people have been paying attention, it’s clear that the team isn’t a fan of wentz. The writing has been on the wall for some time.

40 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree, I like Reichs offense and think he is a very smart coach.  I think he has a very good offensive mind, but he's been hampered with talent level of his players to really open it up.  Year 1 with Luck was probably the best O he's had, but we didn’t have the line or running game we have now. With Brissett he was hampered by the qb and had to design the O/call plays to mask that weakness. Rivers lacked WR quality and he had no mobility as a QB and JT struggled a bit early on. This year our pass blocking declined, Wentz has mobility but not accuracy like Rivers and lacked WR talent, so he had to rely heavier on the run game. It's been popular among some to knock Reich and call him limited and not creative and all that talk. The baseline is his best player is the RB, he has little in pass catchers, and less at QB. He campaigned for the QB of course but what were the other options? Stafford? Even if we were going to be active, we would have been outbid. So that would have left the draft, which is what i wanted but the GM and Reich decided to give #2 a shot. When one looks all over the league, it's easy to see how great coaches also need talent. Belichick, Payton, etc. You're not going to win just by dint of your coaching genius, good luck with that.

Now, I agree this is moving to a passing league.  That said, the best way to beat Mahommes is to keep him off the field and a run game that can execute long drives and score is a major plus.  That game (kc vs buff) was an anomaly. KC was executing 8-9 min drives and scoring without running much, but Mahommes wasn't throwing incompletions.  That is very rare. I think what Mahomes and Allen did in that game isnt out of the ordinary FOR THEM and not rare. KC have won plenty with zero running game, ditto Buffalo, that's their norm and has been so for years but of course they've got the best QBs in the game so that strategy is viable but anyone who wants to win in the AFC needs to go through them and what they did on Sunday is their norm. Now, i also agree that you have to have the ability to bring different strategies, whether it's clock control or whatever. However, as much as we may think a ball control offense is the way to beat these guys, we also must be able to pass when that invariably fails as it did for us at the end, teams are not blind, they could see the obvious strategy of running JT and trying to play bully ball. Also, lets keep another thing in mind. We had Peyton Manning here, and as Colts fans, more than most other fanbases, we ought to know that keeping the ball away can only work so much and to a set degree, so you'd better be able to punish these teams when you do get the ball, and you'd better be able to do it in the air and on the ground. Bottomline, each game is different but you need a complete effort. I'd say that what we did in Buffalo this season is less likely to recur than what Mahomes and Allen did...they've shown that over and over, we have not shown that Buffalo blueprint and result often and i doubt we can to that degree. Too many things have to go right.

The best Os I remember from Colts are Peyton years when we had play action as an option.  Our O was so balanced, teams were afraid of our run and our pass.  We could almost use our pass game to set up the run and our run game we could definitely use to set up the pass. Reich hasn't had the talent across the board yet to open it up to that level. 100% agree. I think this is what we have to have. Personnel-wise, we've got nothing in the cupboard close to those Peyton teams...apart from at RB.

Yea, Wentz had his moments. He was awful week 18, and had some bone headed plays throughout the year, but overall he was OK.  With better weapons, I think he'd be a little better. Don't expect him to be a qb who can put the team on his back week in and week out and mask a bunch of deficiencies, but he can win in this league with a solid supporting cast, I think. I think he comes back because i doubt there's a better option out there in FA. Seattle and GB are not letting their guys leave, that'd be insanity. We can bring in some scrub like Mariota or Trubisky or whomever but those guys have shown many limitations over the years, basically i think a rookie might be the best course but that's also fraught with risk. Keep Wentz and surround him with better weapons, and also draft a QB again and see if you can hit on something that no one else saw, that's where i've landed with all this. Our best bet is to load up on offense.

Love the comments. Responses in bold. Good stuff.

After watching the AR interview we can cross him off the wishlist.  When he is talking about not needing an offseason that clues me in that it will be Green Bay or Retire.  By saying he isn't going to do a normal offseason that means he isn't going to be learning a new offense and he isn't going to be learning new players.  He will play in Green Bay or retire that is what I got.  

Next up??  Wilson?? 

8 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

The problem with the colts last year isn’t that we relied on the run too much, it’s that it had to do too much.  JT was getting only 20 carries a game, if that.

I honestly don’t get why people think we ran the ball down peoples throat.  It’s just that JT was that productive where he can get yards off of limited carries.

the problem is that when the run was working, the pass wasn’t working.  When the run wasn’t working, the pass wasn’t working.

for people trying to say this is a “told you so” moment, it’s not.  If anything this makes wentz and the offense look bad.  

Good stuff, one note though.....JT had the most rush attempts in the league this year. We leaned too heavily on the run game. We were working the dude.

However, that crutch of leaning on the run game happened because the pass wasnt doing anything. If the pass was working better, i don't think teams would have squatted on JT like they wound up doing. When your QB shows that he cannot punish defenses for their choices, they double down on those choices. It's a copycat league and the word is out, we'd better be able to pass the ball in 2022 because teams are going to stack the box and dare our QB is to throw

8 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Honestly we may never know because it’s the Colts but I have to wonder if there’s not more that has happened / went on behind the season with Wentz and the team. Because there’s has only been one player support him so far. Again just a thought nothing may have happened. 

I have actually been thinking about this. Because otherwise it’s all weird. Pittman and others have supported him. 

6 minutes ago, NDWentzFan said:

After watching the AR interview we can cross him off the wishlist.  When he is talking about not needing an offseason that clues me in that it will be Green Bay or Retire.  By saying he isn't going to do a normal offseason that means he isn't going to be learning a new offense and he isn't going to be learning new players.  He will play in Green Bay or retire that is what I got.  

Next up??  Wilson?? 

Yep that’s exactly what I thought too. No way not wanting to do OTA is going to fly with Ballard and Reich on a new team.

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

There seems to be a lot of rumors or info however you want to perceive it, that this was one of the very reasons things didn't work out in Philly. Wentz couldn't handle the pressure of having Nick Foles, then Hurtz behind him challenging him for the job.

Lets not get this narrative gong again, that Wentz can't handle adversity or competition.  Any call out of Wentz has happened AFTER the season is over, so how would we know he can't handle adversity or competition?

He had Sam as the number 2, or Hundley.  Wentz' bad performances have nothing to do with that fake narrative out of Philly

Archived