Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay tweet about QB (MERGE)

CurBeatElite

Sorry mods, please merge if this is already posted but did not see it in the irsay all chips are in thread. Irsay says it is clear watching playoffs you need a qb and O who can score 30 plus and a D that can hold the opponent under 30.  The fact he mentions the qb position leads me to believe Wentz is out.

Sort of odd that he tweeted it at 1:20am on Tuesday AM, but it's Irsay so not too out of the ordinary. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's angry.

The person he is angry the most at is himself. He moved from Peyton, fine. He got a very good, once-in-a-lifetime replacement, but then proceeded to bungle that solid opportunity.

He bought into comments about how Peyton didn't win enough SBs, and how the Star Wars numbers are less than rings, etc. Basically he got spoiled by having greatness around. Now he's waking up again and the dragon is roaring. That's good.

It means he will do whatever it takes to get a QB. And frankly, the odds high that even his best efforts there won't be enough. There are many teams with smart people in their building who also need QBs desperately.

My guess is they stick with Wentz another season. They need to load up on difference makers on offense and bolster the pass rush. Maybe there's a young, overlooked QB in this so-called weak class. Maybe. Either way, I think the Colts are going to be a passing team moving forward. They'll build that way at least, and i suspect many fans will not like it.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Irsay seems a lot more vocal than I remember in a long time. Like he's almost setting up a big move.

I wouldn't be sure that is the case. Nothing can happen right now in regards to trade discussions and I think the season ending is too fresh for us to even have any idea of anyone who's available. 

I think he just hears the criticisms of the media and fans and is allowing that to influence some of his reaction. 

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

He's angry.

The person he is angry the most at is himself. He moved from Peyton, fine. He got a very good, once-in-a-lifetime replacement, but then proceeded to bungle that solid opportunity.

He bought into comments about how Peyton didn't win enough SBs, and how the Star Wars numbers are less than rings, etc. Basically he got spoiled by having greatness around. Now he's waking up again and the dragon is roaring. That's good.

It means he will do whatever it takes to get a QB. And frankly, the odds high that even his best efforts there won't be enough. There are many teams with smart people in their building who also need QBs desperately.

My guess is they stick with Wentz another season. They need to load up on difference makers on offense and bolster the pass rush. Maybe there's a young, overlooked QB in this so-called weak class. Maybe. Either way, I think the Colts are going to be a passing team moving forward. They'll build that way at least, and i suspect many fans will not like it.

Ballard has long said you need to be able to run and stop the run in the playoffs.  He's still about building the trenches. We showed we can win by pounding the rock and have had the run the damn ball motto for a few years. 

I doubt we're going to totally veer away from the run, but my guess is irsay wants a qb who can put up 30 if that's what needs to be done. We had a great record when JT had >100 yards and and bad record when Wentz threw a lot.

Of course, a qb will need more weapons at wr/te to thrive in this offense.. but, it's pretty clear from irsays tweet that he wants to be able to win if our qb has to throw the ball 40+ times.

I, for one, would like to see a more balanced approach on offense. At least part of that will require better pass blocking and more weapons. Whether or not Wentz will be the qb, I don't know.. but irsay did single out qb in that tweet, so it's either meant to challenge Wentz or to suggest he's looking to get a new qb.

Problem is, it's very hard to find that QB. We were extremely lucky to go from Peyton to Andrew to even Philip. It rarely happens to get a special talent. Just look at how long it took for the Bengals and Chiefs. Look at how the Broncos continue to struggle to find the next franchise QB. I think Jim is upset because he's realized our time is over. Yes, we'll have some good years sprinkled in, but we'll never be as dominant as we were with Peyton and even Andrew. 

It's really hard folks. 

15 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard has long said you need to be able to run and stop the run in the playoffs.  He's still about building the trenches. We showed we can win by pounding the rock and have had the run the damn ball motto for a few years. 

I doubt we're going to totally veer away from the run, but my guess is irsay wants a qb who can put up 30 if that's what needs to be done. We had a great record when JT had >100 yards and and bad record when Wentz threw a lot.

Of course, a qb will need more weapons at wr/te to thrive in this offense.. but, it's pretty clear from irsays tweet that he wants to be able to win if our qb has to throw the ball 40+ times.

I, for one, would like to see a more balanced approach on offense. At least part of that will require better pass blocking and more weapons. Whether or not Wentz will be the qb, I don't know.. but irsay did single out qb in that tweet, so it's either meant to challenge Wentz or to suggest he's looking to get a new qb.

But I think that's been a flaw in his approach the entire time. Sure you always want to be able to run the ball, but this idea of "traveling well in the playoffs" because of the trenches was too narrow-focused...and has become even less important with all of the great AFC QBs that have entered the league in the past 5 years.

The goal of this team should be playing their playoff games at LOS anyways. But that's not easy to do, so if they do have to travel, they have to be able to pass the ball at a very high level.

Interestingly, during this postseason the running game has been largely irrelevant in every game, outside of the QBs running the ball and Deebo Samuel. 

KC is winning games with a cast-off like Jerick McKinnon and SF is winning with a late round rookie and a WR running the ball. Then you have the LAR and CIN getting very little out of their RBs as well.

I love Taylor, but they can't build a team around him.    

11 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Sounds like he doesnt want any wasted years, he talks about legacy and big picture stuff all the time too.

I have to wonder how long Jim has left.  Hes not really old by billionaire standards though he looks a little rough 

I wonder that too. There seems to be a lot of urgency in comments he has made over the past couple of years. But he's only 62 years-old. Assuming a clean bill of health, he could live another 25-30 years (especially with access to the best medical care).

But sometimes it feels like he's talking about winning as if they want to get this done before he goes.

23 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Ballard has long said you need to be able to run and stop the run in the playoffs.  He's still about building the trenches. We showed we can win by pounding the rock and have had the run the damn ball motto for a few years. Yup, and this offseason he finally acknowledged passing is what wins. Did we win by pounding the rock though? We didnt get in the playoffs and this was probably as perfect a running season as we could have asked for if we're being honest. We need to be able to pass the ball, he knows that now.

I doubt we're going to totally veer away from the run, but my guess is irsay wants a qb who can put up 30 if that's what needs to be done. We had a great record when JT had >100 yards and and bad record when Wentz threw a lot. We have JT so I agree, we will run. However, i think we become a pass first team rather than run first. Irsay has come to Jesus, bet he doesn't make any more silly 'star wars numbers' type of comments ever again :D The stat about wins when JT > 100 are tough for me to agree with simply because there're many nuances and factors that affect game flow. For example, the Baltimore game...Wentz threw a lot, we should have won that game, defense had personnel issues. The Bucs game? We should have won that game too. 

Of course, a qb will need more weapons at wr/te to thrive in this offense.. but, it's pretty clear from irsays tweet that he wants to be able to win if our qb has to throw the ball 40+ times. Yeah, at the end of the day, we can complain about Wentz and i do think he has to be much better but the fact is his best weapon was Pittman. And while i like Pitt, he's no Diggs...not yet. He's no Tyreek or Kelce. He's a good player not a blue chip player. Maybe next season. You need weapons and the Colts have none in the passing game.

I LOVE the idea and strategy Reich's offense brings. It forces defenses to pick a poison knowing they cant defend everything. It is an offense that doesnt overemphasize the run or pass game. I realize i may be in the minority here but as far as a strategic blueprint goes, i love it, and would definitely rather have this package than the Bruce Arians package or maybe even any other offense we've run in years. I like balance but the important question is what is balance?  

Bolded responses. Good stuff @CurBeatElite

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Problem is, it's very hard to find that QB. We were extremely lucky to go from Peyton to Andrew to even Philip. It rarely happens to get a special talent. Just look at how long it took for the Bengals and Chiefs. Look at how the Broncos continue to struggle to find the next franchise QB. I think Jim is upset because he's realized our time is over. Yes, we'll have some good years sprinkled in, but we'll never be as dominant as we were with Peyton and even Andrew. 

It's really hard folks. 

He pi$$ed away Andrew Luck. The QB who he sacrificed Peyton for.

That's on Jim.

I bet you he's leaning HARD on Ballard to get a guy in the draft class.

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Interestingly, during this postseason the running game has been largely irrelevant in every game, outside of the QBs running the ball and Deebo Samuel. 

Bingo. Of the 8 teams that played this weekend only 1 had a feature RB that had over 4 yards per carry and it was the Chiefs. 

The idea that running the ball as your primary offense is viable in the league is outdated and the quicker the Colts realize that the better. Lets assume comparable salaries - if Ballard could trade JT (arguably the best RB) straight up for Davante Adams (arguably the best WR) I dont think hed do it based on his assessment of the teams current WRs. Until he sorts that out I'd expect more of the same results as this year - a .500 team. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am really sick of Irsay. 

You could have one of the other owners and get to see what dysfunctional ownership truly an be. :D

The guy is passionate and putting pressure on his HC, GM, and QB. It can be worse. I think the Colts have arguably the best owner in this league (at worst he is top 3) and that isnt saying much when you look at how most owners are. 

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

Bingo. Of the 8 teams that played this weekend only 1 had a feature RB that had over 4 yards per carry and it was the Chiefs. 

The idea that running the ball as your primary offense is viable in the league is outdated and the quicker the Colts realize that the better. Lets assume comparable salaries - if Ballard could trade JT (arguably the best RB) straight up for Davante Adams (arguably the best WR) I dont think hed do it based on his assessment of the teams current WRs. Until he sorts that out I'd expect more of the same results as this year - a .500 team. 

This mentality and strategy is where i think we'll see the Colts make a change moving forward. In the past, that theoretical trade might not have happened, after the comments CB made post-jacksonville, i'm pretty certain he would.

For the first time, i think he now understands this is a passing league through and through.

Holder did an interview on JMV where he shared said stuff that kind of coincides with Irsay says here, having a high powered/better offense.

Said that a well placed source thought they relied on the run too much or at least that the run game had to do too much…that they need a real weapon at WR (duh)…and that Pitt’s better suited as a 2 (agree with that).

Also, on defense, that they didn’t get as much production out the edge rushers as they wanted (who didn’t see that coming?). That he thinks they had a number of sacks in mind and didn’t come close. 

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Sorry mods, please merge if this is already posted but did not see it in the irsay all chips are in thread. Irsay says it is clear watching playoffs you need a qb and O who can score 30 plus and a D that can hold the opponent under 30.  The fact he mentions the qb position leads me to believe Wentz is out.

Sort of odd that he tweeted it at 1:20am on Tuesday AM, but it's Irsay so not too out of the ordinary. 

Such quarterbacks are developed from people with potential, not born that way.

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

This mentality and strategy is where i think we'll see the Colts make a change moving forward. In the past, that theoretical trade might not have happened, after the comments CB made post-jacksonville, i'm pretty certain he would.

For the first time, i think he now understands this is a passing league through and through.

The thing I don't understand is, how can we go from a Manning to a Luck, and to a Rivers, and NOT understand that this is a passing league.  Just mind boggling.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He could of just said high powered offense. He didn’t have to say QB.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Then you have this taking a shot at Carson and his faith and not being vaccinated. There were a lot of stats not vaccinated. This is such a low blow by Irsay.

He's saying his piece, he owns the team. He's entitled to this at the least IMHO. They went to bat for Wentz. The guy was the worst QB in the league and they brought him in against many warnings, and rode with him. The dude refused to get vaccinated (which possibly affect his play). The owner is right to be ticked off.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

He's angry.

Well as bad as Wentz trade looks it wasn’t Craig Erickson bad.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

He's saying his piece, he owns the team. He's entitled to this at the least IMHO. They went to bat for Wentz. The guy was the worst QB in the league and they brought him in against many warnings, and rode with him. The dude refused to get vaccinated (which possibly affect his play). The owner is right to be ticked off.

You don’t do that on Twitter. Period. Especially when you don’t have another option right now and him being gone is not guaranteed. This is the stuff bad owners do. Leonard and all the oline was unvaccinated too. He should cut them too then right?

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Holder did an interview on JMV where he shared said stuff that kind of coincides with Irsay says here, having a high powered/better offense.

Said that a well placed source thought they relied on the run too much or at least that the run game had to do too much…that they need a real weapon at WR (duh)…and that Pitt’s better suited as a 2 (agree with that).

Also, on defense, that they didn’t get as much production out the edge rushers as they wanted (who didn’t see that coming?). That he thinks they had a number of sacks in mind and didn’t come close. 

Eberflus had our DE's playing the run first. 
 And we didn't blitz enough and Leonard and Okereke got 1 sack and few pressures from 80 blitzes between them.  Moore got zip on blitzes when we have seen him be very effective in the past.  lol

7 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

The thing I don't understand is, how can we go from a Manning to a Luck, and to a Rivers, and NOT understand that this is a passing league.  Just mind boggling.

In 2013, Jim Irsay said "We've changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these" "You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin (Harrison) and Reggie (Wayne). "Mostly, you love this." 

Jim also comped Peyton to Brady and spoke of rings and all that. 

What does all this tell me? Irsay wants rings, still does, but he didnt realize how much having THE GUY helped. He felt you could build a strong defense and running game and win that way. He hired a GM who shared those thoughts.

The reality has shown them differently. Sometimes you need to suffer to understand what you had.

Looks like Irsay is throwing the QB under the bus. Wentz played some great games and some not so great games. Consistency is key among other things. But when you compare Wentz to Mahomesor hell, even Burrow, he’s not even close. I blame it on the QB availability. There’s nothing out there, we had to do with what we could and role with our strengths which is Taylor…

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

You don’t do that on Twitter. Period. Especially when you don’t have another option right now and him being gone is not guaranteed. This is the stuff bad owners do. Leonard and all the oline was unvaccinated too. He should cut them too then right?

If you're going to be unvaxxed and perform at the highest level, there'll be tolerance for your choices. It's the old maxim of life, higher tolerance for higher performance. When you play as badly as Wentz did, you dont get cuddles.

Talking on Twitter? Yeah, i dont have a problem with it. It can be interpreted in many ways. He's not giving up trade secrets, everyone and their mom knows what the deal is.

12 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Come on! They won 9 games and even 2 of them are in their Conference title games. Wentz wasn’t even close to worst QB in the league. Just stop it!

Just now, compuls1v3 said:

Playing devil's advocate here.  Q played like $#%T the last few games too.  I think he's unvaccinated as well.  Is this directed at him as well?

Very possibly. The fact is on the outside, we won't get to have these discussions but internally, they'll be looking at the dips in play and how COVID factored in that. They'll consider the injuries and how they affected form. 

With breakthrough COVID, it doesnt take much to drop a player from great to good, and that drop is enough to affect a team that doesnt have an elite QB. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it isnt directed only at the QB. The owner knows what he saw. Dude may be a bit 'exotic' for some people's tastes but he's a superb owner, and outside of the guy in LV, he might know more about the sport than any other owner.  

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

Come on! They won 9 games and even 2 of them are in their Conference title games. Wentz wasn’t even close to worst QB in the league. Just stop it!

Apologies for not being clear, i meant Wentz was the worst QB when they brought him in. 

With all the tweets from Irsay and everything Ballard and Reich have said I don’t see anyway Wentz is back next year. Before I get the “ give me names to replace “ response I don’t know but I don’t see anyway Wentz is back. He is already label as mentally weak. Does anybody actually think he will handle all the criticism? Maybe they are trying to challenge him and see how he responds but each day it’s getting less likely he is on the roster this summer. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually love it, bring in Russell Wilson Mr Irsay. Irsay knows we aren't winning a SB with Wentz and we have a dominant RB. I talked to my uncle last night who is a huge Titans fan and he says the same thing about Tannehill. He told me, Henry's career wasted haha 

It’s not that easy lol. Throwing Carson under the bus with no replacement or not even knowing who is available is a stupid dumb move. This is the stuff bad owners and bad franchises do

19 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Thetes nothing mind boggling here.   On his year end presser, Ballard literally says the words….

”This is a passing league”.

The Colts didn’t just learn this this past weekend.    And we had an offense that was scoring 30+ a game for a big chunk of the season.   It disappeared the last two weeks for reasons that are not yet explained.   We couldn’t pass block, we couldn’t run block, we couldn’t do much if anything.   Was there a Covid issue?   No one is saying yes or no.  
Ee didn’t become a run first offense because we wanted to, we became run first because we had to.   But that doesn’t mean Wentz is out.   People here famously over-react to tweets.   We won’t move on from CE, unless we can get someone better.   This is easier said than done.  

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s not that easy lol. Throwing Carson under the bus with no replacement or not even knowing who is available is a stupid dumb move. This is the stuff bad owners and bad franchises do

Irsay is loyal and always gives his player praise, has for 3 decades. It's about time he is manning up. It is about winning and he knows it. It is not easy getting a franchise QB but doable if you give up draft picks and work around the cap.

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Please stop with your nonsense.   This is unhelpful.   The moment you post Irsay is a bad owner as if you know what the other 31 owners are like, you lost the argument.  Learn to chill and not over-react please!!!    

Please?!?  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Irsay is loyal and always gives his player praise, has for 3 decades. It's about time he is manning up. It is about winning and he knows it. It is not easy getting a franchise QB but doable if you give up draft picks and work around the cap.

Irsay knows success is measured in SBs. He knows he can’t win a SB with Wentz. People can trash him all They want but this guy loves his team and wants to win SBs. I wouldn’t want another owner for the Colts. 

Archived