Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Pats at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JT is a * player. Such a nice win. D was stellar. Wentz made some bonehead throws but damn did his sneaks really help. 

I’ll take that win any day against the #1 D let alone the Pats. 

Also, I don’t mind that fire from Pitt. Obviously would prefer him being smarter and not getting ejected but I want him to be a big dawg on the offense. 

It's the biggest win of the season so will spare most of the negatives, except one obvious one. Taylor is such a stud. And people complain about the usual soft defense in the second half, but this is what happens in today's NFL; you can't totally stop good teams for 4 quarters. It doesn't happen. The turnovers are still so key. It's what this team does best.

Now the negative; Wentz isn't good. He just isn't. We won that in spite of him. We beat the Bills almost without him. If we make the playoffs and want to win a couple games, he's got to take a back seat and be a game manager. He simply can't manage risk. 

• Biggest win of the Ballard/Reich era? Maybe so.
  • Greatly increases playoff odds. I think it's in the 90% range now.
  • Felt like the Colts played a lot like the type of team Ballard has described wanting to build.
  • Most meaningfully win of the season. Beat a good team and it wasn't easy.
  • Defense and special teams came up big.
  • JT and the oline carried the offense.

Some concerns that remain that i've had over the course of this season:

• The offense again started out well but things got off track. It's like Reich has the complete opposite problem of Pagano.
  • Wentz did not look good. Against good teams in tough situations I still don't have confidence in him in key games. (and his problem is not the receivers it's his decision making)
  • The defense still struggles against TEs in particular. 

Just now, Les Poulains said:

It's the biggest win of the season so will spare most of the negatives. Taylor is such a stud. And people complain about the usual soft defense in the second half, but this is what happens in today's NFL; you can't totally stop good teams for 4 quarters. It doesn't happen. The turnovers are still so key. It's what this team does best.

Now the negative; Wentz isn't good. He just isn't. We won that in spite of him. We beat the Bills almost without him. If we make the playoffs and want to win a couple games, he's got to take a back seat and be a game manager. He simply can't manage risk. 

Defense I think played their best game of the season. Including Flus, who I have hit HARD all season long. I saw lots of scheme change ups. The only reason the Patriots clawed back in was due to low probability, borderline miracle catches 

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

It's the biggest win of the season so will spare most of the negatives. Taylor is such a stud. And people complain about the usual soft defense in the second half, but this is what happens in today's NFL; you can't totally stop good teams for 4 quarters. It doesn't happen. The turnovers are still so key. It's what this team does best.

I still think he's good, he's lacking good weapons. But I never thought we has great. My concern is that he's not a top 15 QB, so eventualy we will need to still search for a long term/franchise QB

Now the negative; Wentz isn't good. He just isn't. 

I'm not of the opinion Wentz is bad, but Frank certainly needs to recognize when he's off.  He was off tonight from the first pass.  When he's off and you have 17-20 point lead, just run the damn ball, finish it out and take the W.

1. JT is DA MAN... Beast mode when given the opportunity.
  2. We tried our best to let them back into it. Shaky play calling on both sides. And blame Flus if you want, but going prevent in the 3rd is not just a Flus call. It's a strategy embraced.... Thank god it didn't kill us tonight like it did vs Baltimore. Good first half, but why change everything you are doing that was so successful. Pats had no speed at WR when Agholor went out. No need to give up 10+ yards of cushion. 
  3. Great freaking hits by Sendejo tonight. Hope he's OK lol... The guy puts his body on the line for the Colts. Gotta respect that. 
  4. That was some of the worst pass play calling I've ever seen. I don't want to here about Wentz being bad. Yes the INT stunk, but the reads he was given almost all night were against Pats players who are assassins. So many other types of routes in other places for 1st and 2nd reads. To many targets to Pittman who was covered like a giant blanket. 
  5. Wentz is the first Colts QB to beat the Pats since Manning in 2009..... Did what Luck never could lol...
  6. Taylor continued a streak..... We win every game he goes over 100..... 
  7. Leonard had his best game of the year, and I called it!
  8. Incredible diving INT by Oke. Highlight type break on the ball. 
  9. Willis, Rodgers, Moore, and Sendejo all with good games. 
  10. Adams and Speed...... another big impact play. Hats off to Bubba.

I disagree about Wentz. He is a game manager at the very least. The problem is the fact that we have a shell of himself in Hilton, Pittman (who was shut down by Phillips), Dulin and a ghost of himself in Pascal. Nobody is getting open. If there is nobody open who is Wentz supposed to throw too?

Rewatch the game, our guys simply weren't getting any separation!

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

We tried our best to let them back into it. Shaky play calling on both sides. And blame Flus if you want, but going prevent in the 3rd is not just a Flus call. It's a strategy embraced.... Thank god it didn't kill us tonight like it did vs Baltimore. Good first half, but why change everything you are doing that was so successful. Pats had no speed at WR when Agholor went out. No need to give up 10+ yards of cushion

Frank going away from the run, Eberflus going charmin is a formula to blow any lead.  Thankfully Taylor broke one.  Not sure they win, if he hadn't.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

I disagree about Wentz. He is a game manager at the very least. The problem is the fact that we have a shell of himself in Hilton, Pittman (who was shut down by Phillips), Dulin and a ghost of himself in Pascal. Nobody is getting open. If there is nobody open who is Wentz supposed to throw too?

Rewatch the game, our guys simply weren't getting any separation!

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'm not of the opinion Wentz is bad, but Frank certainly needs to recognize when he's off.  He was off tonight from the first pass.  When he's off and you have 17-20 point lead, just run the damn ball, finish it out and take the W.

Pats pass D is #1

Our best WR got tossed

First and second reads looked to be mostly right at NE's best DBs.... 

Our other WRs are not elite

Not worried about Wentz. But yes, have to recognize when things aren't working. I'm just glad they went heavy JT in the 2nd series in the 1H tonight. If not.... not pretty. 

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Frank going away from the run, Eberflus going charmin is a formula to blow any lead.  Thankfully Taylor broke one.  Not sure they win, if he hadn't.

I just don't get it. We have enough data to know what happens when we do those stupid things lol. 

Archived