Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Future of Colts pass rush

BProland85

I for one am getting very excited with the pass rush potential this Colts team can have. Seeing Kwity Paye show promise in training camp and in the Vikings game is great, along with the progression Ben Banogu has made this camp as well. 

But one player I am amped to see as a part of this DL is Dayo Odeyingbo. Once Dayo is back fully healthy, this DL should be loaded with pass rushers in Buckner, Paye, Dayo, Turay, Banogu, and Lewis. 

The size and length both Buckner and Dayo possess will make things extremely difficult for opposing OLs, and I simply cannot wait to see this DL in full force. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I for one am getting very excited with the pass rush potential this Colts team can have. Seeing Kwity Paye show promise in training camp and in the Vikings game is great, along with the progression Ben Banogu has made this camp as well. 

But one player I am amped to see as a part of this DL is Dayo Odeyingbo. Once Dayo is back fully healthy, this DL should be loaded with pass rushers in Buckner, Paye, Dayo, Turay, Banogu, and Lewis. 

The size and length both Buckner and Dayo possess will make things extremely difficult for opposing OLs, and I simply cannot wait to see this DL in full force. 

We all are not likely to see the full and completely 100 percent Dayo until…..

Whatever Dayo is this year,  he should be much better next year.   

I hope Kwity will prove to be as good as we believe he is... but, right now we're a team that let our two sack-leaders walk and we're pinning the season on a rookie and 3 guys who haven't performed as well as we hoped for 2 seasons. Now, Turay and Banogu have been good in camp, but camp =/= regular season games. They and Lewis HAVE to step up, like, REALLY step up if we want to just equal last seasons performance.

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hope Kwity will prove to be as good as we believe he is... but, right now we're a team that let our two sack-leaders walk and we're pinning the season on a rookie and 3 guys who haven't performed as well as we hoped for 2 seasons. Now, Turay and Banogu have been good in camp, but camp =/= regular season games. They and Lewis HAVE to step up, like, REALLY step up if we want to just equal last seasons performance.

Buckner was the sack leader last season

38 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We all saw that Houston was on his last legs in 2020, and while losing Autry sucks, he is 31 years old and at times disappeared last season. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

We all saw that Houston was on his last legs in 2020, and while losing Autry sucks, he is 31 years old and at times disappeared last season. 

They both had good games but they both disappeared at times

I think I would have liked to have Autry in thus years rotation

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Oh I agree, but the fact is those old guys were still our best performers at the position and we’re asking a rookie and 3 underperformers to pick up their production and more. 

On top of that we haven’t improved our secondary that were average at best when faced with tough competition last year. 

I’m just curious where this top 5 defense is comming from? I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it all hinges on a rookie and 3 underperformers to SERIOUSLY out perform reasonable expectations IMO. 

Dayo at the LDE spot playing the role of Sheard - hold edge and collapse pocket 8-10 sacks a year

Paye at the RDE spot playing the role of Freeney - speed rusher off the edge 10-12 sacks a year

Buckner at the UT playing the role of Corey Simon - 8-12 sacks a year

Stewart at the DT playing the role of Anthony McFarland - 5-7 sacks a year

Turay and Banogu off the bench (similar to Mathis) with the speed rush from the edge with 6-8 sacks a year

Lewis as a DE/DT playing the role of Raheem Brock - 6-8 sacks a year

Plus you Leonard as this generations Derrick Brooks at the WILL filling the stat sheet

Moore looking like a Ronde Barber in the slot......

Could turn into that feared Tampa Two defense of old REALLY quick! 

I know, I am optimistic as usual - but, with the right components working in tandem together, these could be yearly averages for these folks!

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Dayo at the LDE spot playing the role of Sheard - hold edge and collapse pocket 8-10 sacks a year

Paye at the RDE spot playing the role of Freeney - speed rusher off the edge 10-12 sacks a year

Turay and Banogu off the bench (similar to Mathis) with the speed rush from the edge with 6-8 sacks a year

Plus you Leonard as this generations Derrick Brooks at the WILL filling the stat sheet

I know, I am optimistic as usual - but, with the right components working in tandem together, these could be yearly averages for these folks!

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Purely my way too early opinion, but I think they want Dayo to be the flex guy on the DL. I think Lewis plays that this year, but Dayo inherits it next year.

Early/Rushing Downs

Dayo/Lewis - Stewart - Buckner - Paye

Late/Passing Downs

Turay - Dayo/Lewis - Buckner - Paye

15 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You’ve got about 60 or sacks there, just across those players.

Even with an extra game, that’s nearly 50% more sacks than the 38-41 range the Colts have been since Flus got here.

Perhaps a bit too optimistic.

5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

You’ve got about 60 or sacks there, just across those players.

Even with an extra game, that’s nearly 50% more sacks than the 38-41 range the Colts have been since Flus got here.

Perhaps a bit too optimistic.

That's why said an average per year. If you went by the low number its like 49 I think.

But yes, I am optimistic that this defense morphs into those vaunted Bucs and Bears Tampa Two defenses...

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The Tampa 2 is done in the NFL. Unless the Colts become more creative on defence, they will never win a superbowl

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Tampa 2 is done in the NFL. Unless the Colts become more creative on defence, they will never win a superbowl

I found an interesting article after i saw this comment.  According to pff only 12% of all defensive snaps were cover 2 last year.  They said the Saints and Steelers  ran it the most, and were the only teams over 25%.  They do not say where the colts were but I think they would be high on the list

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-taking-a-closer-look-examining-the-nfls-coverage-scheme-tendencies

I think there are some differences between tampa 2 and cover 2 but I dont remember what they are 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I found an interesting article after i saw this comment.  According to pff only 12% of all defensive snaps were cover 2 last year.  They said the Saints and Steelers  ran it the most, and were the only teams over 25%.  They do not say where the colts were but I think they would be high on the list

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-taking-a-closer-look-examining-the-nfls-coverage-scheme-tendencies

I think there are some differences between tampa 2 and cover 2 but I dont remember what they are 

Just found another pff article, which says we used mostly a cover 3 last year. Here's a snip of what they said about the Colts defense:

2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Sit back in quarters

Though they do base out of Cover 3, with 28% of their snaps coming in that coverage, defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus mixes his coverages a lot.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Just out of curiosity…. 

Do you get paid for repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again?

Because if you get as little as $1 for each of your repetitive posts on all your favorite topics, you might be one of the richest people in the entire world!?!  

Ka-Ching!!      :cash:

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just out of curiosity…. 

Do you get paid for repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again?

Because if you get as little as $1 for each of your repetitive posts on all your favorite topics, you might be one of the richest people in the entire world!?!  

154782493_mo-money.jpg

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just out of curiosity…. 

all about eve cheap sentiment GIF

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Just found another pff article, which says we used mostly a cover 3 last year. Here's a snip of what they said about the Colts defense:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

I agree. When I was referring to the  Tampa 2, I was really make reference to their over reliance on a zone scheme.

Kwity seems to have a few moves under his belt along with just being a blue chip level athlete.

I remember reading somewhere earlier this year that Michigan had him essentially focusing on run defense during most downs and that he was going to transition to prioritizing pass rushing in the pros. That transition looks incredible early on.

Archived