Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger vs. Jacob Eason

MikeCurtis

After a LONG day of doing emails and phone calls......

I watched some college highlights of Jacob Eason and Sam Ehlinger.....

There is NO DOUBT that Eason has the better arm

However.......  I had to change my mind a bit....

One thing I noticed that all but 2 highlights from Eason are in the pocket.

In highlights, Ehlinger was a threat rolling out on either side and is fast enough to get the first down on 3rd and long

I would imagine that the offense that they installed to fit Wentz, has the QB rolling out on many plays. Thats not Phillip Rivers, thats also not Eason 

Ehlinger fits that role SO MUCH better

Ehlinger is an all around threat that Eason just isnt

It wouldnt surpise me a bit... that Ehlinger is taking first team snaps in Sept, until Wentz is ready to play

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eason is the guy the Colts are backing, they have more info etc etc.

But based on my limited watching of both. I've seen a fair share of TX games, GA games, and some WA games. I'd ride the Ehlinger horse. To me, he's the better player.

I also feel it's important to add that I'm going to fully support whoever the coaches decide on but i also hope they embrace the competitive aspect of building rosters....i.e. if Ehlinger shows himself to just be better, give him a chance. The tantalizing prospect of Eason is hard to ignore though. IF the Colts can give him pockets, he can be good but this is the NFL, no one is getting oodles of time, windows are smaller, defenses are fiercer. Eason has to process faster, period.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Eason is the guy the Colts are backing, they have more info etc etc.

But based on my limited watching of both. I've seen a fair share of TX games, GA games, and some WA games. I'd ride the Ehlinger horse. To me, he's the better player.

Something to think about. Why do we have to ride just one. Maybe we find a way to use Sam too since he has a different skill set.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Something to think about. Why do we have to ride just one. Maybe we find a way to use Sam too since he has a different skill set.

That's a very good point. That's some Sean Payton type thinking. We did it repeatedly with Brissett, to an annoying extent actually but you may be onto something here! Super point!

Eason brings arm talent.

Ehlinger brings mobility.

Eason will never be a runner, and Ehlinger will never be a good deep ball passer.

Eason's ceiling is high, Ehlinger's average. All you need is a good/clean average at backup who doesn't turn the ball over.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Eason brings arm talent.

Ehlinger brings mobility.

Eason will never be a runner, and Ehlinger will never be a good deep ball passer.

Eason's ceiling is high, Ehlinger's average. All you need is a good/clean average at backup who doesn't turn the ball over.

Ehlinger is smooth on the short to intermediate game, Eason struggles a bit there.

The Colts last year built a line that showed it could block for an immobile QB, that line wasn't as great/transcendent as it was under Luck but still Rivers didn't move. He did have a rapid release though which helps, and his mind compensated for his slowness. Does Eason have the mind and quick release/sack evasiveness to help the line? If Ehlinger cant succeed deep, he will have defenses in this league make life IMPOSSIBLE for him, he'll wash but his issues deep with TX seemed to be due to several things including an paucity of deep catchers, his arm is powerful enough to throw 50-60 yards if need be. Peyton's arm was certainly never a strength.

17 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Ehlinger is smooth on the short to intermediate game, Eason struggles a bit there.

The Colts last year built a line that showed it could block for an immobile QB, that line wasn't as great/transcendent as it was under Luck but still Rivers didn't move. He did have a rapid release though which helps, and his mind compensated for his slowness. Does Eason have the mind and quick release/sack evasiveness to help the line? If Ehlinger cant succeed deep, he will have defenses in this league make life IMPOSSIBLE for him, he'll wash but his issues deep with TX seemed to be due to several things including an paucity of deep catchers, his arm is powerful enough to throw 50-60 yards if need be. Peyton's arm was certainly never a strength.

Peyton had plenty of arm. He was one of the best deep throwers of his time. His arm strength declined of course late, but prior to injury he had a plus-arm. IIRC, he had the most deep ball success for 3-5 years prior to 15 or 16. 

Reich thus far hasn't used the deep ball that much at all regardless of QB while in Indy. Rivers was very successful deep (%), but the attempts were few. Teams bit up way too much and will continue to do so as long as we're a dink/dunk O.

A lot of QBs can "throw" 50-60 yards. But accuracy and zip are key. I just don't think SE has either one of those things.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

We have to ride just one because it takes a roster spot.   3 QBs means one less player that we need elsewhere, like Special Teams.   And for what?

Odds are, Ehlinger is going to need the same Red Shirt year Eason got last year.   Maybe not for the same reason, but he’ll need it for reasons of his own.   There’s no shame in getting a year on the practice squad. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have to ride just one because it takes a roster spot.   3 QBs means one less player that we need elsewhere, like Special Teams.   And for what?

Odds are, Ehlinger is going to need the same Red Shirt year Eason got last year.   Maybe not for the same reason, but he’ll need it for reasons of his own.   There’s no shame in getting a year on the practice squad. 

Depth chart right now is likely Eason and Hundley anyways. Ehlinger is more than likely headed to the PS. But I think it's safe to say we open the year carrying 3 QBs on the roster (Wentz+2). 

30 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The biggest question with Eason will he be effective with the running backs.

Huh?  

That’s the biggest question for Jacob Eason?

I’m not sure it would be on my top 20 list of concerns for him. 

Ironically,  You actually listed the biggest concern for Eason in a different post earlier today.   You correctly and wisely noted the concern of the inexperienced Eason having to work with the backup Left Tackles.  You had the correct answer and didn’t even know it!

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Depth chart right now is likely Eason and Hundley anyways. Ehlinger is more than likely headed to the PS. But I think it's safe to say we open the year carrying 3 QBs on the roster (Wentz+2). 

I think it’s way too early to make any predictions  and I wouldn’t want to call anything “safe.”   Honestly,  I don’t think the Colts ever want 3 QBs on the 53.   Takes away a spot on ST.   They would if they have to, but I don’t think they ever want to.  

Just a different perspective…. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?  

That’s the biggest question for Jacob Eason?

I’m not sure it would be on my top 20 list of concerns for him. 

Ironically,  You actually listed the biggest concern for Eason in a different post earlier today.   You correctly and wisely noted the concern of the inexperienced Eason having to work with the backup Left Tackles.  You had the correct answer and didn’t even know it!

Yes because he has a strong arm so he has to take velocity off it. Sure there are other things like going through progressives but I am really curious how he will utilize the RB in the passing game. 

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yes because he has a strong arm so he has to take velocity off it. Sure there are other things like going through progressives but I am really curious how he will utilize the RB in the passing game. 

It’s always ok to be curious.   Always.   But the number one concern?    That’s a bit much. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

This is a good thread with a bunch of Easons throws.

Watching that thread, you can see why Ballard drafted Eason. That arm strength, hot dog....could you even sit on a route as an LB when the ball is practically flying at the speed of an MLB pitch? He honestly looks bored when he’s throwing 60 yard bombs, looks like it takes zero effort for him. Man, if you combined that arm strength with someone of Luck or Rivers’ football processing, you’d have one heck of a QB

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

These stats tell part of the Eason story. 

Eason played 4 years in college, but basically only played in two, years 1 and 4.  Years 2 and 3 he played almost zero.  Then he didn’t play in his first year with the Colts.  

That’s 3 years out of the last 5 without any real playing.  That’s not good if he has to start the regular season.   This is not ideal.   That’s why all the buzz about trading for another QB. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It was just. Figure of speech. Don’t take everything so serious.

The number one concern (your words, not mine) is not a figure of speech.  That’s your statement of opinion. 

If you’re having trouble finding the right words, that’s a you problem, not a me problem. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

These stats tell part of the Eason story. 

Eason played 4 years in college, but basically only played in two, years 1 and 4.  Years 2 and 3 he played almost zero.  Then he didn’t play in his first year with the Colts.  

That’s 3 years out of the last 5 without any real playing.  That’s not good if he has to start the regular season.   This is not ideal.   That’s why all the buzz about trading for another QB. 

Eason really captivates me because he has so much upside, but he’s also a total question mark. Has he been out of it too much? Can he process NFL D’s fast enough? Is he good in the short to medium game? Can he handle blitzes and pressures without panicking? Hard to tell right now, but if he can put away those doubts things could get interesting. I for one am excited to watch it unfold

Just now, chickenMan said:

Eason really captivates me because he has so much upside, but he’s also a total question mark. Has he been out of it too much? Can he process NFL D’s fast enough? Is he good in the short to medium game? Can he handle blitzes and pressures without panicking? Hard to tell right now, but if he can put away those doubts things could get interesting. I for one am excited to watch it unfold

Best way to help with the blitz is run the ball. 

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it’s way too early to make any predictions  and I wouldn’t want to call anything “safe.”   Honestly,  I don’t think the Colts ever want 3 QBs on the 53.   Takes away a spot on ST.   They would if they have to, but I don’t think they ever want to.  

Just a different perspective…. 

About half the league carries 3 and half 2. 

We carried 3 last year, and that was without huge injury concerns to our QB1.

Sure it's too early to crown any "for sure" depth at QB, but smart money would be on Eason and Hundley. Eason's been in the system, and Hundley has a few years in the league and some starts. 

ESPN, SI, and several other depth charts all have Hundley after Eason. I know, doesn't mean a lot right now, but it's what the talking heads think.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

After a LONG day of doing emails and phone calls......

I watched some college highlights of Jacob Eason and Sam Ehlinger.....

There is NO DOUBT that Eason has the better arm

However.......  I had to change my mind a bit....

One thing I noticed that all but 2 highlights from Eason are in the pocket.

In highlights, Ehlinger was a threat rolling out on either side and is fast enough to get the first down on 3rd and long

I would imagine that the offense that they installed to fit Wentz, has the QB rolling out on many plays. Thats not Phillip Rivers, thats also not Eason 

Ehlinger fits that role SO MUCH better

Ehlinger is an all around threat that Eason just isnt

It wouldnt surpise me a bit... that Ehlinger is taking first team snaps in Sept, until Wentz is ready to play

Texas was 5-3 and 5-4 in the Big 12 with Ehlinger as the texas QB dispite the fact that he was surrounded with 4 and 5 star talent.  He certainly was not feared in the Big 12. While I hope that all Colt players do well but if Ehlinger is in better than Eason we are in trouble.

25 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Texas was 5-3 and 5-4 in the Big 12 with Ehlinger as the texas QB dispite the fact that he was surrounded with 4 and 5 star talent.  He certainly was not feared in the Big 12. While I hope that all Colt players do well but if Ehlinger is in better than Eason we are in trouble.

To add, the Big12 is not known for great D either.... so you would expect most QBs at schools that recruit well, to have more success.

I wouldn't say he was bad, just not someone that could take UT to the next level. I do blame coaching a bit. 

45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

About half the league carries 3 and half 2. 

We carried 3 last year, and that was without huge injury concerns to our QB1.

Sure it's too early to crown any "for sure" depth at QB, but smart money would be on Eason and Hundley. Eason's been in the system, and Hundley has a few years in the league and some starts. 

ESPN, SI, and several other depth charts all have Hundley after Eason. I know, doesn't mean a lot right now, but it's what the talking heads think.

I think Hundley is a long shot to make the roster.  I think he’s here now simply to throw because Wentz can’t.  Camp body. 

When teams start cutting down players at the end of the month, I think Ballard will be looking for better options then.   I don’t see Ballard not snatching a better QB either by trade or FA pickup because we have Brett Hundley.   Hundley hasn’t done anything to earn such trust. 

Archived