Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger vs. Jacob Eason

MikeCurtis

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you for each and every word here.   Hopefully it means more coming from you then it might coming from me, the media guy.     You hit this out of the park.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to make the roughly 20,000 members here on Colts.com read and understand this,  but that might be more than my meager skills could produce!       

Thanks again!         :thmup:

I know not all media is bad, I already posted that before. I even think to you a couple of times. Some do go a bit overboard with their narratives and opinions but In this case, I don't see anyone in the media saying Sam should start. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know not all media is bad, I already posted that before. I even think to you a couple of times. Some do go a bit overboard with their narratives and opinions but In this case, I don't see anyone in the media saying Sam should start. 

Appreciate the kind words.   I just wish I knew which media outlet she’s talking about?!?   It makes no sense….

On 8/4/2021 at 2:46 PM, AustexColt said:

If I offended anyone that is a Eason fan, or if you are related to him, my apologies

I am highly encouraged that Eason has started to improve very recently

I'm not the only one thats asking the questions......

Lets all hope that Wentz comes back week 1......

I am neutral on Eason want patience. Anyone who expects him to light the world on fire right away is nuts. We just are going to have to be patient the next few weeks and see if he improves and see how Wentz recovery is going.

People can say I am pushing for him but really am not. Expecting perfection basically from a rookie is not realistic. It is what it is though. We just have to see what happens.

Eason needs to get to a place where he can manage a game if he has to play and not make mistakes. Maybe Sam could do that better but a defense would adjust quickly and make it easy to defend only part of the field. 

I wish we could see more videos of Sam but colts are not putting those out. Probably on purpose not to create any controversy.

I dont think Elingher is anything more than a specialty QB. I dont think they have any plan in place for him to be a starter. I think his biggest assett is his legs and his ability to hit short and intermediate throws. His skillset allows you to make creative packages that force defensive coordinators to do extra planning for. You can bring him in on short yardage situations and red zone.

Anytime hes in there itd be tough to tell what wed do bc hes a very good runner, but on the flip side an accurate short to intermediate passer with good decision making skills.

10 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If I offended anyone that is a Eason fan, or if you are related to him, my apologies

I am highly encouraged that Eason has started to improve very recently

I'm not the only one thats asking the questions......

Lets all hope that Wentz comes back week 1......

I don't think you offended anyone at least not me, I just figured it was a no brainer Eason would start if Wentz is out for game 1. I am really not a Eason fan (I don't dislike him and also know little about him) but I would be shocked if he wasn't the starter week 1 if Wentz is out.

I see Eason as our backup the next two years.   And I see Ehlinger as being on the PS for two years.   

After 2022,  we will know if Wentz is our long term starting Quarterback.   We will also have a better idea of how good Eason might be.   At that point, we will likely sign Wentz to a new long term deal.   We also might either sign Eason to be our long term backup,  OR maybe let him play out his contract and maybe sign elsewhere and we’d take a comp pick.  Or we might trade,  way too soon to know, I’m just thinking out loud. 

And if Eason ultimately leaves, at that point, whenever that is,  Ehlinger would become our backup.   Perhaps at a Chase Daniel-like level.  

That’s as close as I can project a long term strategy. 

I’m rooting for Eason because he’s the more talented passer, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Ehlinger ended up starting. I believe because of his lack of great arm strength, several people seem to think he’s a terrible passer. That’s simply not the case, though. Ehlinger was a pretty impressive QB in college. I know he was just a 6th round pick, but he knows how to play winning football. 

31 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I will take the high road here and root for both of these guys and hope that they both become really good qbs sooner than later. We drafted them, they are Colts. Every fan should be behind these guys %100. No need to nit pick yet. Let them get in a dang game first. 

I have not seen one person who isn't rooting for their success. I've not seen one person who's said anything along the lines of 'going with x player is a waste of time'. What I have seen is people dissecting the reports out of camp, and people showing curiosity about the unknown. Happens in regular camps when we have a QB in place, how much less a camp where the QB situation is definitely a question mark.

I dont think this is anywhere near as fractious as needing a high or low road. Our starter is out injured, the backup is an unknown, QB3 has issues but has done everything asked of him and excels at the things QB2 has always stunk at, those things are MUSTS for a QB in the NFL. Then you have a QB elsewhere who has worked with the head coach and is openly angling for a reunion. How are we surprised that the MSM, local media, and fanbase are debating this? Again, if anything the discourse has been more curious than vile.

Real football will be back soon :)

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I am neutral on Eason want patience. Anyone who expects him to light the world on fire right away is nuts. We just are going to have to be patient the next few weeks and see if he improves and see how Wentz recovery is going.

People can say I am pushing for him but really am not. Expecting perfection basically from a rookie is not realistic. It is what it is though. We just have to see what happens.

Eason needs to get to a place where he can manage a game if he has to play and not make mistakes. Maybe Sam could do that better but a defense would adjust quickly and make it easy to defend only part of the field. 

I wish we could see more videos of Sam but colts are not putting those out. Probably on purpose not to create any controversy.

Long term Eason IS the better candidate to be the long term back up.... and possibly a starter later 

He has the pro arm that Sam E. just doesnt have.

However, for the first 2-4 games,  (My original AND current point)  I want to have a better chance to win.

Those wins will be VERY important until Wentz comes back.

In the past 2 years, Sam E, has been playing div 1 football. He is the run-around, keep-the-drive-going sort of player that actually mimics Wentz game (minus the big arm)

The playbook has been altered to use Wentz strengths.....

Sam E, I BELEIVE, would do better with a tattered OL that I expect that we will have starting the season

Eason may just get buried as he is much less mobile, 

In the past 2 years, Eason has not had ongoing game experience

In many ways Sam E, may be further along in his development, at this extremely early stage of the game

I will again state, that I hope Eason continues to develop and improve the next few weeks.... then its a moot point

People - and especially football fans - seem to love soap opera drama. Frank probably has a written rubric - a weighted evaluation list - that he will use to decide who starts and why. Hopefully, he has shared this criteria with all the quarterbacks without putting in his evaluation values. That way, each QB can perform self-evaluations, and when the final decision is made, each QB will already know where he stands. He would probably make the same decision as Frank.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I have not seen one person who isn't rooting for their success. I've not seen one person who's said anything along the lines of 'going with x player is a waste of time'. What I have seen is people dissecting the reports out of camp, and people showing curiosity about the unknown. Happens in regular camps when we have a QB in place, how much less a camp where the QB situation is definitely a question mark.

I dont think this is anywhere near as fractious as needing a high or low road. Our starter is out injured, the backup is an unknown, QB3 has issues but has done everything asked of him and excels at the things QB2 has always stunk at, those things are MUSTS for a QB in the NFL. Then you have a QB elsewhere who has worked with the head coach and is openly angling for a reunion. How are we surprised that the MSM, local media, and fanbase are debating this? Again, if anything the discourse has been more curious than vile.

Real football will be back soon :)

Did I implicate vile? And yes I will take a high road and not pick one or another based on a week of camp and some old college tape. I hope the best for all of our guys and will not make assumptions or say i know what will happen. I will gather my own info and absolutely will not listen to MSM and talking heads of the vile media. I can wait till that real football gets here to make my judgments.

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Interesting. Which players told him/her that? Which staff members? We have the words of Reich and Marcus Brady on the situation, the HC and the OC, the rest of this is random stuff. Eason is the guy the coaches want starting....he has traits that could be a boon for the offense. They're going to give him shots at the job but Ehlinger has a decent chance if Eason falters, that much seems pretty clear.

17 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Interesting. Which players told him/her that? Which staff members? We have the words of Reich and Marcus Brady on the situation, the HC and the OC, the rest of this is random stuff. Eason is the guy the coaches want starting....he has traits that could be a boon for the offense. They're going to give him shots at the job but Ehlinger has a decent chance if Eason falters, that much seems pretty clear.

He doesnt have a shot. They drafted him to be a specialty qb. They are going to build special packages for him to run most likely in short yardage and red zone. Pay attention to the types of QB Reich has always had for this system. The starters are always 6 , 5" with cannon arms. Ballard damn near never drafts players with the complete opposite of the measurables they look for. Ehlinger is the complete opposite of what they look for. His arms are short, arm strength not good. His best attribute is running and making short to intermediate throws. Even the coaches have highlighted his ability to run more so than anything else. You can do a lot of things with him during the course of a game being used that way. He adds a dimension to the running game bc you also have to respect his ability to throw.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

He doesnt have a shot. They drafted him to be a specialty qb. They are going to build special packages for him to run most likely in short yardage and red zone. Pay attention to the types of QB Reich has always had for this system. The starters are always 6 , 5" with cannon arms. Ballard damn near never drafts players with the complete opposite of the measurables they look for. Ehlinger is the complete opposite of what they look for. His arms are short, arm strength not good. His best attribute is running and making short to intermediate throws. Even the coaches have highlighted his ability to run more so than anything else. You can do a lot of things with him during the course of a game being used that way. He adds a dimension to the running game bc you also have to respect his ability to throw.

You're not out of the realm of possibility at all. I could see this unfurling as you have stated.

41 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If players are saying that then you know they are alright with eason.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If players are saying that then you know they are alright with eason.

What players said that?

From the pros i've been fortunate to be around, I don't think you'll ever hear a player say something like "that guy can't start in this league". The players will tow the line set by the HC. 

Honestly, it doesn't matter. The thing is, do we trust the coaches? I do. So I'm fine with their decision making.

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They were not listed but a reporter did say he heard that from "players"

Do you mind posting the report please. I've not seen any report where a player was quoted saying Ehlinger has no shot of starting. That's news to me.

26 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Do you mind posting the report please. I've not seen any report where a player was quoted saying Ehlinger has no shot of starting. That's news to me.

I saw it on reddit, i will take a quick look but there is a lot of stuff like this on there

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

If there is anyone in the local media’s opinion I value less than Greg Doyle or Dan Dakich it’s Mike Wells.  He knows nothing about football and clearly would rather be covering the pacers like he did at the star.  He half bad word it and it shows.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If there is anyone in the local media’s opinion I value less than Greg Doyle or Dan Dakich it’s Mike Wells.  He knows nothing about football and clearly would rather be covering the pacers like he did at the star.  He half bad word it and it shows.

Eason was 71% completion today. Wells is being ridiculous.

23 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I don't think you're pushing for a rookie.  I think you're overly scared that they'll bring in someone who will challenge Wentz too much.  But maybe I'm wrong just how I read between the lines on your posts.

If that is your concern you don't need to worry about all that though.  They're not gonna be able to bring anyone in who is a real threat to Carson.  Even if it was a vet who has seen some game time like Minshew he won't be more than a backup to upgrade overall depth.  Carson's gonna get a nice window of opportunity here in a high-talent offense and as long as he can stay healthy and on the field things are gonna work out.

9 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

I don't think you're pushing for a rookie.  I think you're overly scared that they'll bring in someone who will challenge Wentz too much.  But maybe I'm wrong just how I read between the lines on your posts.

If that is your concern you don't need to worry about all that though.  They're not gonna be able to bring anyone in who is a real threat to Carson.  Even if it was a vet who has seen some game time like Minshew he won't be more than a backup to upgrade overall depth.  Carson's gonna get a nice window of opportunity here in a high-talent offense and as long as he can stay healthy and on the field things are gonna work out.

Lmao.

I don't understand all the comments about wanting to know about the players who say Ehlinger has no chance to start.   Isn't Reich pretty much implying the same thing.

Sure, Reich says it's a competition,  but is it really?    Yes,  Ehlinger is doing a nice job,  but I don't think it's hard to read between the lines and think, that for now at least,  this job is Eason's to lose.    it's doubtful Ehlinger is going to take the job away from Eason if Eason continues to improve.     Eason is going to have to lose this job.   And he might.   But he's got 3 Pre-Season games to show what he's got.  

We'll all know more by the end of August.

Reich made comments today that Eason needs to improve his vision in the middle of the field and get through the clutter. He has been great outside the numbers and throwing to RB. Sounds like he needs to work on those intermediate routes. We use the middle field a lot so that is really important. Needs to get to those middle of the field progressions.

3 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Eason is the man right now. I am good with that. Let's all remember the Colts started Jacoby Brissett, who I think was inferior to both of these guys.  Who cares if he is a nice guy or a good teammate. He was a terrible QB.

Lets see both these chaps play before we put them ahead of Brissett. 

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Lets see both these chaps play before we put them ahead of Brissett. 

He hates JB with a passion and takes cheap shot after cheap shot at JB. Look at the source. He posts about once a week and is about JB being terrible lmao. He probably thinks a high school QB is better than JB. Pathetic. JB wasn't terrible, he just isn't a franchise QB and he was a great backup.   

@lennymoore24get over it dude, you are looking bad and JB is gone. 

Here's a note from Brady in a recent Athletic article:

“Some of these coverages (are) new to them,” offensive coordinator Marcus Brady said of his young quarterbacks. “Now that they are seeing it, they are able to recognize it, even some pre-snap, and it’s just quickening up their reads.”

Still, there seems to be agreement that Ehlinger is further ahead than Eason when it comes to making those reads. Ehlinger, Brady said, “naturally processes a little bit faster. He sees the field, he recognizes what defenses are doing.”

I think it's a bad sign that the rookie is getting through his reads faster than Eason who has a full year on him in this offense.  At this point things are going to be about getting one of them to do the above well enough to complement a good run game.  And if they don't think either can do that then they'll bite the bullet and look at a veteran option.

Also to be fair to Ehlinger it's a good sign for him too.  Though again with his arm limitations the team will be concerned with how defenses can cheat and eliminate certain parts of the route tree.

Lastly this does go back to how long they internally think Wentz will be gone.  If there's a reasonable chance he'll need say 8 weeks then going with a subpar option at QB even behind a strong run game is risky.  So no idea what they are thinking wrt Carson's estimated time he'll be missing.  But this is a rough situation for a playoff team no doubt about it.

17 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Here's a note from Brady in a recent Athletic article:

“Some of these coverages (are) new to them,” offensive coordinator Marcus Brady said of his young quarterbacks. “Now that they are seeing it, they are able to recognize it, even some pre-snap, and it’s just quickening up their reads.”

Still, there seems to be agreement that Ehlinger is further ahead than Eason when it comes to making those reads. Ehlinger, Brady said, “naturally processes a little bit faster. He sees the field, he recognizes what defenses are doing.”

I think it's a bad sign that the rookie is getting through his reads faster than Eason who has a full year on him in this offense.  At this point things are going to be about getting one of them to do the above well enough to complement a good run game.  And if they don't think either can do that then they'll bite the bullet and look at a veteran option.

Also to be fair to Ehlinger it's a good sign for him too.  Though again with his arm limitations the team will be concerned with how defenses can cheat and eliminate certain parts of the route tree.

Lastly this does go back to how long they internally think Wentz will be gone.  If there's a reasonable chance he'll need say 8 weeks then going with a subpar option at QB even behind a strong run game is risky.  So no idea what they are thinking wrt Carson's estimated time he'll be missing.  But this is a rough situation for a playoff team no doubt about it.

Elinger has played a ton more football then Eason.

I will say this though if we need a game manager until Wentz is back maybe Sam would be the better fit.  

They clearly want Eason to win the job because he has the size and arm to play in the nfl. But if Sam can have quick reads and just manage a couple games maybe he would be the right choice. Next week is going to tell us a ton. If Eason looks bad in the panther practices and game I bet San will get reps the following week if he looks good.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Elinger has played a ton more football then Eason.

I will say this though if we need a game manager until Wentz is back maybe Sam would be the better fit.  

Agree with this veiwpoint.....

If you think about it:

In the past 3 years......  Ehlinger has played 3 years of starting Div 1 football

In the past 3 years..... Eason has played just 1 year of starting football

As I said.....  Eason is probably a better long term prospect, but Ehlinger may be ready to fill in the hole game 1, until QB1 is back

Lets hope QB1 gets healthy early

Eason has been doing really well with passing to the RB. I think that will also go a long way in helping manage a game. Right now it’s hard to tell from a practice because Reich will develop a game plan that will play to his strengths if he has to play. Just can’t wait to long to give same starting reps if they decide it’s a real competition.

30 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eason has been doing really well with passing to the RB. I think that will also go a long way in helping manage a game. Right now it’s hard to tell from a practice because Reich will develop a game plan that will play to his strengths if he has to play. Just can’t wait to long to give same starting reps if they decide it’s a real competition.

If he can be just as good as Jacoby was for a couple of games we will be fine until Carson plays. That is if Carson even misses 1 or 2 games. Our run game (RB's) will take care of a lot early on.

Archived