Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger vs. Jacob Eason

MikeCurtis

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Eason will fail because he's a statue. If Wentz misses regular season games opponents will just stack the box and blitz all day long and Eason just doesn't do blitzes.

Eason is far from a statue, he’s not Patrick Mahomes, but nowhere near Philip Rivers !

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i would take chad kelly over sam .....  kelly is a baller who never gives up . for some reason the team just doesnt like him even though he is really good.

Dear God, you would rather take a player with a lot  of baggage/ off the field issues, and replace a high Character guy with no issues but plays With the Same Intensity and style?

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can you cut and past the quote?   Or refer me to a specific video?   I’d like to hear that for myself.    Thanks. 

I believe it’s the quote the poster above her comment posted.  It’s also not what Frank said, at least to me, as I tried to explain in my post.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The media is already trying to stir up a QB controversy. It’s crazy.

So are people here.  Anytime you have someone unproven like the Colts have in Eason people are going to wonder if the backup is better.  I’ll go one step further and say if Eason doesn’t set the world on fire in the first pre-season game (which wouldn’t be unheard of for a guy taking his first NFL snaps) and Sam comes in and lights up second or third stringers (who most of won’t be in the NFL in a few weeks) people are going to call for Sam to get a chance with the starters just like they did for Chad Kelly.  

That’s why until the Colts make it clear there is a competition either by saying it or by showing it by giving Sam, or Hundley for that matter, chances with the ones there isn’t one.  

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i would take chad kelly over sam .....  kelly is a baller who never gives up . for some reason the team just doesnt like him even though he is really good.

You mean the same Chad Kelly who the Colts once made the highest paid Practice Squad player in the NFL?   That Chad Kelly that we don’t like for no apparent reason?

The same Chad Kelly who I don’t think is even on an NFL roster right now?   Or is he?   Buffalo?   Green Bay?   Or did they cut him too.   

The Chad Kelly ship sailed a long time ago.  He’s just not as good as you think he is. 

His Wiki page says he’s a free agent.  Perhaps that should be a hint?  

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Eason will fail because he's a statue. If Wentz misses regular season games opponents will just stack the box and blitz all day long and Eason just doesn't do blitzes.

QB doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson to be an effective weapon, or deal with blitzes although the latter should be a concern. Aside from Brady's vision one of his strongest points was always how he navigates the pocket. That's a concern with the left side of the oline as much as it is with the QB at this point, though I do hear that the backups on the left side looked, oddly enough, better in pass protection than in the run game. 

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So are people here.  Anytime you have someone unproven like the Colts have in Eason people are going to wonder if the backup is better.  I’ll go one step further and say if Eason doesn’t set the world on fire in the first pre-season game (which wouldn’t be unheard of for a guy taking his first NFL snaps) and Sam comes in and lights up second or third stringers (who most of won’t be in the NFL in a few weeks) people are going to call for Sam to get a chance with the starters just like they did for Chad Kelly.  

That’s why until the Colts make it clear there is a competition either by saying it or by showing it by giving Sam, or Hundley for that matter, chances with the ones there isn’t one.  

The media doesn’t have to escalate it though. I don’t care about Sam at all. Until Reich puts him with the ones and he has to practice against the ones I really don’t think anything about him.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The media doesn’t have to escalate it though. I don’t care about Sam at all. Until Reich puts him with the ones and he has to practice against the ones I really don’t think anything about him.

The media isn’t there to be a PR firm for the Colts.  They are there to get attention so their employer can sell adds.  Thus they want things like a QB competition.

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Until the QB situation plays itself out there will be a thousand questions — as there should be.   

The Colts QB situation is one GIANT question mark.   We don’t know much about anyone.   Not Wentz, not Eason, not Ehlinger, and Foles and Rivers are just big distractions right now.

This is a storm and you just have to ride it out until we know more in roughly 4-5 weeks.  Sucks for us, but the media’s job is to ask questions and try to get answers.  

On 8/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, Wentzszn said:

Something to think about. Why do we have to ride just one. Maybe we find a way to use Sam too since he has a different skill set.

What about making it a trifecta with Hundley?.......he brings Experience,  and experience is one thing you can't buy..:D

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What about making it a trifecta with Hundley?.......he brings Experience,  and experience is one thing you can't buy..:D

The perfect QB combo. 2  QBs with no experience and one experienced one that stinks. I see a 1-7 start for the upcoming season.

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The media isn’t there to be a PR firm for the Colts.  They are there to get attention so their employer can sell adds.  Thus they want things like a QB competition.

Honestly, it doesn't even have anything to do with ads. They're calling it as they see it, Eason has not given any cause for optimism. When Tolzien was bad, the media called it in camp, we saw it in Los Angeles, no sugar coating. If anything, they've been nuanced and have caveated their comments by saying Eason is essentially a rookie and all this nice stuff. Truth is, he's the starter and he needs to ball or take several seats back. It's the NFL.

Ehlinger has done EVERYTHING a QB2 or 3 needs to do, that's all you can ask, and the question of QB controversy is legit because the current QB1 wasn't great in college, and isnt great now. If that isnt the recipe for a controversy, i don't know what else is. 

It's Eason's job to lose but he cannot afford to slip. 

Anyway, all this is just talk and TC filler, Wentz is probably back before game 1.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Honestly, it doesn't even have anything to do with ads. They're calling it as they see it, Eason has not given any cause for optimism. When Tolzien was bad, the media called it in camp, we saw it in Los Angeles, no sugar coating. If anything, they've been nuanced and have caveated their comments by saying Eason is essentially a rookie and all this nice stuff. Truth is, he's the starter and he needs to ball or take several seats back. It's the NFL.

Ehlinger has done EVERYTHING a QB2 or 3 needs to do, that's all you can ask, and the question of QB controversy is legit because the current QB1 wasn't great in college, and isnt great now. If that isnt the recipe for a controversy, i don't know what else is. 

It's Eason's job to lose but he cannot afford to slip. 

Anyway, all this is just talk and TC filler, Wentz is probably back before game 1.

I probably should have stopped with they aren’t there to be a pr firm for the Colts because that was my main point.

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The media is already trying to stir up a QB controversy. It’s crazy.

I see this as the opposite of a QB controversy.  QB controversy to me is a situation where your backup is better than your starter.  Or perceived to possibly be such.

This situation is who is the best option to go with of subpar options.  Eason does have upside, and I think Reich alluded to how Ehlinger doesn't in so many words because he's got a weak arm and that shrinks the field that DBs need to cover.  He's a backup talent.  It's a tough situation and the kid they brought in doesn't really move the bar either, he's just as raw as Eason looks to be.

The question here is what's the best way to survive through say six or so games and try to at least not give up too much ground in the win/loss column.  And no matter which QB they go with the answer is gonna be run the ball a ton and play field position and hope the defense can carry the day.  When you do need to pass run it off play action and cross your fingers that an early read will be open.

But again Reich is really good at dumbing down offense.  What he did with Foles was outstanding.  So in this situation I do think the Colts are in really good shape with the guy designing the offensive scheme and that does matter.  In the end if the defense is a top unit they're gonna be fine in the standings by the time they get Wentz back and from there it'll be about keeping him healthy to make a run.

29 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Maybe, but go watch Ehlinger's highlight then. He's easily dropping 50 yard dimes.

He threw 70+ during the Texas pro day didnt he? 

His arm strength isnt an asset like Eason's but I've not seen a post-injury Chad Pennington arm either. We'll see. May the best man win the job. Hopefully Wentz gets back on time and plays very well so we don't have to do this dance.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pick a position.   Which position are you complaining about not having a backup?

And Brisset was a fine backup.   He wasn’t good enough to get the team into the playoffs when he became a full tie starter.  

So, what’s the problem again? 

I'll leave that guess up to you. Brissett was not a "fine" backup as you post. Show us "FINE" in the NFL Stat Book. Brissett was as I defined him not you.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

I'll leave that guess up to you. Brissett was not a "fine" backup as you post. Show us "FINE" in the NFL Stat Book. Brissett was as I defined him not you.

As usual, you’ve mixed up the starter Jacoby Brissett with the backup Jacoby Brissett.  And you’re still upset over the money we paid him. 

Put another way, Jacoby received a very nice backup level contract from a very good team as a free agent.  The NFL thinks far more of Brissett as a backup than you and some other fans here.  

As for your refusal to name any other backup you don’t like, frankly, it’s embarrassing.   I gave you a blank check to fill in whatever you liked and……. You passed.    Sad. 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Until the QB situation plays itself out there will be a thousand questions — as there should be.   

The Colts QB situation is one GIANT question mark.   We don’t know much about anyone.   Not Wentz, not Eason, not Ehlinger, and Foles and Rivers are just big distractions right now.

This is a storm and you just have to ride it out until we know more in roughly 4-5 weeks.  Sucks for us, but the media’s job is to ask questions and try to get answers.  

Honestly, we may not have an answer to the QB question about our current players until we’re well into the season. 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Honestly, we may not have an answer to the QB question about our current players until we’re well into the season. 

It may not be until the season is over frankly.

When Luck came back, we didnt know whether he was back to being top-5 Luck or not until probably week 5.

With Rivers, it wasn't till after the season that most folks got to appreciate that even with the weaker arm, he was still a very good QB.

I think with Carson, there'll be ups and downs and we won't have our minds made up on him till later. Nevermind Eason and/or Ehlinger.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Worth remembering Peyton missed camp and the pre-season once and started slow and the Colts were 3-4 out of the gate.  Even if Wentz is back by week one I expect a slow start by him.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Until Eason craps the bed and Reich gives snaps to Elinger with the first team I really don’t care about Sam.  There is no QB controversy yet. The media needs to stop.

They don't need to though, and certainly shouldn't have to. Eason hasn't done anything spectacular to dissuade them from doing so, and he has crapped the bed already (understandably so). This is how football and competition in general works. Heck there were people calling for Eason to start over Rivers when 17 had bad games. Luck endured those calls if you remember. Even Peyton! It is what it is. The backup is the most popular man in town. Heck Brady had folks calling for Jimmy G to be kept over him.

The media will do what they do, as will fans.

QB controversies are tantalizing haha (sighs, it's usually a problem when you have those....unless you're GB or.........Indy)

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yes….   True….  But 4/5 weeks from now we should know if Wentz will be back for week #1 or not.  

And if the answer is not, we may get a ballpark idea of how many more weeks the wait might be.   None of these time lines are cast on stone.   Only to say we’ll know more than we do now. 

1 minute ago, life long said:

Eason has now claimed to be able to throw a football 100yds in the air. If even possible, I'd love to see that. 

That wasn’t Eason who claimed that.  It was Morton.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/08/01/indianapolis-colts-quarterback-says-he-can-toss-football-100-yards/5448050001/

52 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

That is Morton.

Eason can probably throw it like 70 though.

Since Andrew Luck threw the last pass at his Pro Day 76 yards in the air, and Eason’s arm is much stronger, then I’m confident Jacob can throw 70.   Likely 80,  and maybe even a little longer….   Just saying…

25 minutes ago, Coslosky24 said:

I think Jacob Eason would have to be terrible during practice and pre-season for not to start week one if Wentz can't go.

I agree I really haven't followed this thread or read the posts because I am not sure why this is even a thread lmao . Eason was a 4th round pick for a reason (I hope), and he has 1 year experience learning from Rivers and JB. He should know the team and playbook like the back of his hand. He should be a lot better than Sam.

5 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Until Eason craps the bed and Reich gives snaps to Elinger with the first team I really don’t care about Sam.  There is no QB controversy yet. The media needs to stop.

Again, what are you talking about?

I’mbnot seeing stories putting Ehlinger ahead of Eason?   Who is doing that?   Stop saying “the media” when it might be a tiny fraction of a much larger group.   All the media I read say Eason is the top guy and Sam is a distant 2nd.   Whoever you’re talking doesn’t know anything and shouldn’t be taken seriously by anyone.  

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again, what are you talking about?

I’mbnot seeing stories putting Ehlinger ahead of Eason?   Who is doing that?   Stop saying “the media” when it might be a tiny fraction of a much larger group.   All the media I read say Eason is the top guy and Sam is a distant 2nd.   Whoever you’re talking doesn’t know anything and shouldn’t be taken seriously by anyone.  

Agree from what I see the local media gives their opinion of Eason (both good and bad) and mentions Sam too because yeah I do think people are curious about the rookie QB they drafted but no one is openly suggesting Sam should be competing for the starting job.  They all say hey Eason’s the guy.  I have seen some of them say hey the Colts should think about bringing in a vet via trade but you are going to have that when you have a guy who is kinda a rookie and hasn’t started a game or even seen a NFL snap for that matter.

People need to not confuse someone saying hey Sam did this well as meaning hey Sam should start.  That’s not what it means.  By the same token just because the media points out something Eason doesn’t do as well doesn’t mean they are saying he should be benched.  Yes the media is going to be picky with Eason because the coaches have said he’s the starter until Wentz is back so they are looking at him, fairly or unfairly, through the lens of a NFL starter because that’s his role for now.

Some seem to think it’s the media’s job to only say nice things about the Colts.  It’s not. Their job is to give you an honest opinion of what they see and sometimes it’s not all roses and puppy dogs.  Sometimes they see something that is a problem or even just an unanswered question and the fact remains Eason is going to be unanswered question until he sees real action.  Until then, as long as he’s the starter, the media is going to ask questions about him and watch him closely because they know their audience wants information, either good or bad, about that and it’s their job to give to their audience straight, not just tell them what they want to hear.  

Frankly, I think that’s a big issue with the way people consume news now in general.  They just want to hear what they want to hear and if the news isn’t that there must be something wrong with it.  That’s not how it works.  

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agree from what I see the local media gives their opinion of Eason (both good and bad) and mentions Sam too because yeah I do think people are curious about the rookie QB they drafted but no one is openly suggesting Sam should be competing for the starting job.  They all say hey Eason’s the guy.  I have seen some of them say hey the Colts should think about bringing in a vet via trade but you are going to have that when you have a guy who is kinda a rookie and hasn’t started a game or even seen a NFL snap for that matter.

People need to not confuse someone saying hey Sam did this well as meaning hey Sam should start.  That’s not what it means.  By the same token just because the media points out something Eason doesn’t do as well doesn’t mean they are saying he should be benched.  Yes the media is going to be picky with Eason because the coaches have said he’s the starter until Wentz is back so they are looking at him, fairly or unfairly, through the lens of a NFL starter because that’s his role for now.

Some seem to think it’s the media’s job to only say nice things about the Colts.  It’s not. Their job is to give you an honest opinion of what they see and sometimes it’s not all roses and puppy dogs.  Sometimes they see something that is a problem or even just an unanswered question and the fact remains Eason is going to be unanswered question until he sees real action.  Until then, as long as he’s the starter, the media is going to ask questions about him and watch him closely because they know their audience wants information, either good or bad, about that and it’s their job to give to their audience straight, not just tell them what they want to hear.  

Frankly, I think that’s a big issue with the way people consume news now in general.  They just want to hear what they want to hear and if the news isn’t that there must be something wrong with it.  That’s not how it works.  

Thank you for each and every word here.   Hopefully it means more coming from you then it might coming from me, the media guy.     You hit this out of the park.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to make the roughly 20,000 members here on Colts.com read and understand this,  but that might be more than my meager skills could produce!       

Thanks again!         :thmup:

Archived