Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Ehlinger vs. Jacob Eason

MikeCurtis

On 8/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Long term Eason IS the better candidate to be the long term back up.... and possibly a starter later 

He has the pro arm that Sam E. just doesnt have.

However, for the first 2-4 games,  (My original AND current point)  I want to have a better chance to win.

Those wins will be VERY important until Wentz comes back.

In the past 2 years, Sam E, has been playing div 1 football. He is the run-around, keep-the-drive-going sort of player that actually mimics Wentz game (minus the big arm)

The playbook has been altered to use Wentz strengths.....

Sam E, I BELEIVE, would do better with a tattered OL that I expect that we will have starting the season

Eason may just get buried as he is much less mobile, 

In the past 2 years, Eason has not had ongoing game experience

In many ways Sam E, may be further along in his development, at this extremely early stage of the game

I will again state, that I hope Eason continues to develop and improve the next few weeks.... then its a moot point

Wow, the Lt being out is tatters to you? Cause I don't think there's any way Q isn't starting, and Kelly should be back in a week or so....

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/7/2021 at 1:44 PM, Colt.45 said:

What players said that?

From the pros i've been fortunate to be around, I don't think you'll ever hear a player say something like "that guy can't start in this league". The players will tow the line set by the HC. 

Honestly, it doesn't matter. The thing is, do we trust the coaches? I do. So I'm fine with their decision making.

Eh, I had Jim Sorgi tell me at a bar in Avon that Addai (prior to his rookie yr) was gonna suck cause he had hands the "size of my cell phone" but that was because he wanted them to bring in his boy Ron Dayne....

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If he can be just as good as Jacoby was for a couple of games we will be fine until Carson plays. That is if Carson even misses 1 or 2 games. Our run game (RB's) will take care of a lot early on.

We are really lucky to have a lot of skill players who are great after the catch. Add Campbell to the RB group as well. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we can throw a lot of short quick passes to Campbell as well, his speed is priceless. I can see Hines having a big game on opening day if Carson is out.

This is why I don’t take much from camp. They are practicing everything. On game day Reich will have a very specific game plan if Eason has to play. He just needs to play within himself. That game Sunday  will be huge for him.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is why I don’t take much from camp. They are practicing everything. On game day Reich will have a very specific game plan if Eason has to play. He just needs to play within himself. That game Sunday  will be huge for him.

If we can win on opening day without Carson that will set the tone for the season beating Seattle. I am hoping Carson is back by week 3 at worse. That would give him 8 weeks of recovery time at that point.

31 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Wow, the Lt being out is tatters to you? Cause I don't think there's any way Q isn't starting, and Kelly should be back in a week or so....

After reading Reich’s comments about Fisher today I wouldn’t be surprised if he is ready to go week 1 as well.  He appears to be a man on a mission and Frank loves the way he is attacking his rehab and looking really good so far.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't wait, I haven't looked forward to a pre-season like this one in a long time for obvious reasons. 

So many players to look forward to seeing. I am praying Eason looks good because I don’t really want to see media or another QB controversy. Eason needs to play well enough to put all of this to bed. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

So many players to look forward to seeing. I am praying Eason looks good because I don’t really want to see media or another QB controversy. Eason needs to play well enough to put all of this to bed. 

I wonder how long he will play in the 1st game? If Eason looks sharp on like his 1st drive that would be sweet. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wonder how long he will play in the 1st game? If Eason looks sharp on like his 1st drive that would be sweet. 

All we know is Reich said he will play with the twos also. Probably most of the first half but I think you have a good point. If he looks good maybe he won’t play as long.

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I understand and agree with your sentiment. 

But the problem is Eason is without his starting LT, LG and C.    It’s going to be difficult for him to handle it.    He has a history of not handling pressure well under better circumstances,   so under these conditions I’m expecting him to have trouble.   Some will be his fault, but some won’t.

Fortunately, Frank and Marcus and the rest of the coaches will know where the problems come from.  Whose to blame.   But to the fans eye,  it may not look very pretty to watch. 

Obviously,  I hope I’m wrong, but I fear I’ll be right. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand and agree with your sentiment. 

But the problem is Eason is without his starting LT, LG and C.    It’s going to be difficult for him to handle it.    He has a history of not handling pressure well under better circumstances,   so under these conditions I’m expecting him to have trouble. 
some will be his fault, but some won’t.

Fortunately, Frank and Marcus and the rest of the coaches will know where the problems come from.  Whose to blame.   But to the fans eye,  it may not look very pretty to watch. 

Obviously,  I hope I’m wrong, but I fear I’ll be right. 

The oline being a little bit of a mess could make Sam a more intriguing guy because he can make plays with his feet. 

Archived