Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign CB Holton Hill

Prototypical Ballard outside corner. 6‘2 with 32 inch arms. Had character concerns coming out of college, but nothing negative reported the last 3 years. Worth the shot IMO. Played solid in 2018 and 2019, struggled last season. However, we know that the requirements for our defense are very different from those of a Mike Zimmer D.

15 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Had character concerns coming out of college, but nothing negative reported the last 3 years.

He was suspended for 8 games in 2019. 4 for PED's, 4 for "substances of abuse". That, plus his issues in college and his foot injury are what led to the Vikings cutting him. He's a talented guy that needs to get his head on straight. We have a really strong DB room, so hopefully we can get the best out of his and help him keep his head on straight.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

He was suspended for 8 games in 2019. 4 for PED's, 4 for "substances of abuse". That, plus his issues in college and his foot injury are what led to the Vikings cutting him. He's a talented guy that needs to get his head on straight. We have a really strong DB room, so hopefully we can get the best out of his and help him keep his head on straight.

He’s got the size they like, but you’re right, the CB room is pretty well set.  I wouldn’t say it’s strong, but it’s decent and experienced.  Even if we carry 6, it looks set. 

Between Moore, Rhodes, Rock, Tell, Carrie, and Rodgers (in no particular order), it will be hard to earn a spot.  But you never know, injures happen.

32 minutes ago, Shive said:

And here I thought Ballard only signed high character guys. 

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He’s got the size they like, but you’re right, the CB room is pretty well set.  I wouldn’t say it’s strong, but it’s decent and experienced.  Even if we carry 6, it looks set. 

Between Moore, Rhodes, Rock, Tell, Carrie, and Rodgers (in no particular order), it will be hard to earn a spot.  But you never know, injures happen.

Yes to the above,  but for right now,  I think we're down 2 guys on Covid protocols...    Rhodes and Carrie.  

We've got openings (even if just temporary) and we need people....    Hill has the measurables that Ballard likes...

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

And here I thought Ballard only signed high character guys. 

He already said that the locker room is so solid, it could handle guys who weren't exactly "high character".

Not to mention that people (hopefully) mature as they get older.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes to the above,  but for right now,  I think we're down 2 guys on Covid protocols...    Rhodes and Carrie.  

We've got openings (even if just temporary) and we need people....    Hill has the measurables that Ballard likes...

That is exactly how I read it..

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

By strong, I meant the character & leadership within the DB room. There's definitely room talent-wise though and Hill has a lot of talent if he can stay on the field.

11 hours ago, stitches said:

I liked him coming out of college. No idea how he's played in the league since then. @NFLfan ?

I recall how much you liked him in college and you wanted the Colts to sign him as an undrafted free agent. I thought he was inconsistent. He seemed to show flashes, especially early on. I thougbt that he had the skills to play the position but he seemed not to try hard. I always felt that we could not depend on him. (Just my opinion)

Hope he succeeds with the Colts. 

11 hours ago, stitches said:

I liked him coming out of college. No idea how he's played in the league since then. @NFLfan ?

Graded well in his rook year (70ish), then proceeded to get two suspensions (one PED, one sub abuse), and was injured IIRC.

Good speed (4.49) and good height. Very up and down, but maybe he's matured and is ready to get back to his 2018 grades..... 

The DE we just signed had a similar past. Ballard seems to be testing the locker room. And I'm perfectly fine with it.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Graded well in his rook year (70ish), then proceeded to get two suspensions (one PED, one sub abuse), and was injured IIRC.

Good speed (4.49) and good height. Very up and down, but maybe he's matured and is ready to get back to his 2018 grades..... 

The DE we just signed had a similar past. Ballard seems to be testing the locker room. And I'm perfectly fine with it.

Just in case there was any doubt :

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/holton-hill/32004849-4c33-7405-de8f-a90859c030ea

32" arms...

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Just in case there was any doubt :

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/holton-hill/32004849-4c33-7405-de8f-a90859c030ea

32" arms...

yup, but... or and... 

"Overview

Hill has the size, strength and athletic ability that teams covet at cornerback, but his maturity issues will force teams to have early conversations about whether or not he will be on their board. Hill made tremendous strides as a cover man this year and has the potential to take yet another big step forward once he trusts his footwork and becomes less grabby. His instincts and physicality in run support could allow teams to consider moving him to safety at some point. If Hill runs well at the Combine, that could override potential maturity issues."

sounds a lot like RYS, if RYS was suspended several times in college and the NFL...

200.gif

Archived