Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

Caffrey

I'll be honest, I still don't know who this guy is in the NFL. You look at the Ohio St. stuff and it's them just getting him the ball in space as much as they can. Unless you're Tyreek Hill, NFL teams just don't really do that. Like, can he run routes and play on the outside? I literally don't know, we've seen so little of it. It seems like before he got injured he was in the slot most of the time. We'll see if that's still a plan.

To me, anything he'll do is really a bonus with all the injuries he's had, I don't expect much. I think the FO and staff still love him but this is gonna have to be the last year. He's gotta stay healthy and show some real signs. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

This ain't MADDEN East, and if your gonna hit circle please hit it before your blown up!  I can't honestly say I know the fate of PC in 2021 and I hope just like you he stays healthy and becomes a real threat to our O.  Can we both say truce and wait until how this season plays out before going any further with projections, because there just that projections and nobody really knows how this will all play out.

I'm pretty logical and fair with projections, and generally caveat most overly optimistic projections. I'm not being overly optimistic of PC. Neither highs or lows would surprise me at all. 

In all fairness, Taylor didn't really start out to be a feature back at first and when he did he struggled at first with the game but somehow managed to become the 3rd best rusher in the NFL!!!  In the last 6 games, JT was the 2nd best rb in the NFL only behind yours truly D Henry but only by a slim margin.  I guess its no coincidence that Mr Henry is a huge fan of Mr Taylor as he continues to give huge props to Taylor via social media.  Why is that and why doesn't Henry offer the same condolences to Chubb, Cook or Kamara who are all top 10 backs in this game???  Because greatness recognizes other greatness and I can't seem to get you to believe that.  I laugh at the Green Bay Packers org for drafting AJ Dillon over JT even know he is from their back yard!  There is a reason AR is dissatisfied with his organization and can you imagine JT on that offense with Rodgers and Adams to pair with JT???  Please accept that we have a top 2 player at the rb position that can easily be our ticket to another banner at LOS!!!  

On Taylor, like I said, I'm a fan and optimistic about his 2021. You'd sound a lot more credible if you looked at the context surrounding his full year of stats. Henry being a fan has zero bearing on anything. I mean, who really cares what another RB says? Regards to context, many of his late season opposing Ds were plain awful vs the run. He didn't play week 11. Of his last 5 games, 4 of the teams were bottom 10 in run D. 3 of the 4 teams were bottom 3 in run D. Where you aware of those facts?

Did he display pure athleticism or purely on his speed to be dominate?  Was he the gingerbread man during highschool  and nobody could catch him?  Seems to be the theme at college, swift slot guy who caught 90 balls but never really took a hit?  Lets regroup after the 21 season to see who was right or who was way offbase with his thoughts.  

Do you understand the return game, or in general, the slot position? Return guys take hits every time the bring it back. Slot guys go over the middle more than any other WR position and take more hits from bigger guys. A guy from a power house HS who runs for 1000+ yards 2 years in a row takes hits. In terms of football IQ, this is 101 type of stuff.

I'm happy with a truce, but I'm actually not trying to pick on you. It's just the hot takes are so bad. I'm fine if you want to be overly optimistic on guys like JT, but don't say a guy's injury history like PC's is due to low football IQ when all the injuries are unrelated, freak in nature, and the biggest one from one of the better, and lower hitters like Harrison Smith.

21 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I'll be honest, I still don't know who this guy is in the NFL. You look at the Ohio St. stuff and it's them just getting him the ball in space as much as they can. Unless you're Tyreek Hill, NFL teams just don't really do that. Like, can he run routes and play on the outside? I literally don't know, we've seen so little of it. It seems like before he got injured he was in the slot most of the time. We'll see if that's still a plan.

To me, anything he'll do is really a bonus with all the injuries he's had, I don't expect much. I think the FO and staff still love him but this is gonna have to be the last year. He's gotta stay healthy and show some real signs. 

The idea our O, and a lot of Os, is to get their slots in space and vs great matchups. OSU's O is one of the better CFB teams in simplifying things for WRs to make them successful. NFL teams try to do similar things with their slots. Hill was treated the same early in his career. Reid tried to get him in space as much as possible with a simplified route tree. It was not until a few seasons later that he was moved to the outside. One of Hill's most successful routes even now (after moving mostly to the outside) is very simple slant across the field. It's intermediate, or deeper than a lot of slot routes, but it's still across the middle, and a slot route.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The idea our O, and a lot of Os, is to get their slots in space and vs great matchups. OSU's O is one of the better CFB teams in simplifying things for WRs to make them successful. NFL teams try to do similar things with their slots. Hill was treated the same early in his career. Reid tried to get him in space as much as possible with a simplified route tree. It was not until a few seasons later that he was moved to the outside. One of Hill's most successful routes even now (after moving mostly to the outside) is very simple slant across the field. It's intermediate, or deeper than a lot of slot routes, but it's still across the middle, and a slot route.

Sure. I suppose what I was saying was; is that really worth our time? That's what we have to figure out. The best players in the league do get the gameplan built around them and get the ball often in advantageous situations. I don't know if Parris is that kind of guy. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Now the "ultra deep slant" is Hill's post route :) while being lined up in the slot and if the safety bites to the inside for the post, you have the out breaking WASP, all of which requires time provided by the OL and sometimes a little manufactured by the QB.

If the OL has only limited time, it takes away lots of advantages the skill positions have. Peyton found that out vs BB and the Patriots as well as the Seahawks, Brady found out against the Giants, and recently Mahomes found out against the Bucs. The intermediate passing game has to be at a high level to win in the NFL with the occasional deep threat used, for which you need legitimate deep threats. 

15 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

it's no secret he has no football IQ and is a product of pure speeeeeeeed!  

Competitive Toughness - Elite competitor who was heralded as a leader in Ohio State’s locker room. Voted team captain. Effort and intensity are always cranked up. Smart player who will bring strong football intelligence to an organization.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/parris-campbell

On 5/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, EastStreet said:

I'm pretty logical and fair with projections, and generally caveat most overly optimistic projections. I'm not being overly optimistic of PC. Neither highs or lows would surprise me at all. 

On Taylor, like I said, I'm a fan and optimistic about his 2021. You'd sound a lot more credible if you looked at the context surrounding his full year of stats. Henry being a fan has zero bearing on anything. I mean, who really cares what another RB says? Regards to context, many of his late season opposing Ds were plain awful vs the run. He didn't play week 11. Of his last 5 games, 4 of the teams were bottom 10 in run D. 3 of the 4 teams were bottom 3 in run D. Where you aware of those facts?

Do you understand the return game, or in general, the slot position? Return guys take hits every time the bring it back. Slot guys go over the middle more than any other WR position and take more hits from bigger guys. A guy from a power house HS who runs for 1000+ yards 2 years in a row takes hits. In terms of football IQ, this is 101 type of stuff.

I'm happy with a truce, but I'm actually not trying to pick on you. It's just the hot takes are so bad. I'm fine if you want to be overly optimistic on guys like JT, but don't say a guy's injury history like PC's is due to low football IQ when all the injuries are unrelated, freak in nature, and the biggest one from one of the better, and lower hitters like Harrison Smith.

As a big time  Colts fan East, I really hope PC figures it out and remains healthy to do so!!!  As far as JT, I will continue to be over opportunistic and support his talent as I see him being a top 2 talent.  Time will tell on this but I feel strongly!!!   

13 hours ago, Catloaf said:

Said “video unavailable” when I clicked it which made me chuckle.

You didn’t read the whole message.   The last line says...  “Watch on YouTube”.

If you simply click on that link, it takes you straight to the video. 

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Show me that this guy can play in this league without a season ending injury?  I'll wait...

The same was said about many players who went on to have great careers.     But you just keep waiting

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am holding out judgement about Paris until this season concludes. Still too early to judge either way. If he plays 4 games and gets injured again then obviously that isn't promising. If he plays 14 games or more and produces then we may have something. It is an important year for him.

I think if he had just hurdled over the tackle he might have made it through the whole season.

track & field wave GIF by GreenWave

Parris and Pitt can be a great tandem for years to come. Their both really talented if their healthy, but also Pascal who imo is the most underrated player on the team. His play isn't flashy, but he gets the job done and does all the dirty work that never goes noticed.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Parris and Pitt can be a great tandem for years to come. Their both really talented if their healthy, but also Pascal who imo is the most underrated player on the team. His play isn't flashy, but he gets the job done and does all the dirty work that never goes noticed.

To the bolded, I whole heartedly concur.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:50 AM, Les Poulains said:

Sure. I suppose what I was saying was; is that really worth our time? That's what we have to figure out. The best players in the league do get the gameplan built around them and get the ball often in advantageous situations. I don't know if Parris is that kind of guy. 

It's not really building your game plan around them. Like I said, all teams try to do the same with their slots. Most just don't have the electric player that can turn on the jets at his size and get YAC. KC didn't start out building the O around Hill. It happened as he started killing teams. And even now, Kelce got 20ish more catches than Hill. And KC has 3 other pretty good WRs too.

I'm not sure if PC is that kinda guy either, but we know we've seen him do really well while he was healthy, and did really well without even getting a chance to get into a groove. He's a coinflip for me. Wouldn't be shocked if he killed it, and wouldn't shock me if got injured again.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, chad72 said:

Now the "ultra deep slant" is Hill's post route :) while being lined up in the slot and if the safety bites to the inside for the post, you have the out breaking WASP, all of which requires time provided by the OL and sometimes a little manufactured by the QB.

If the OL has only limited time, it takes away lots of advantages the skill positions have. Peyton found that out vs BB and the Patriots as well as the Seahawks, Brady found out against the Giants, and recently Mahomes found out against the Bucs. The intermediate passing game has to be at a high level to win in the NFL with the occasional deep threat used, for which you need legitimate deep threats. 

While I agree to an extent, Hill is fast, and doesn't take that long to get intermediate or deep on that slant. I'm not sure it's always ultradeep either. Here's his div round chart. He runs 4 slants and catches 3 of them. 2 catches were right around the 10, and one around the 15. In short, I think the play is designed to hit him along the route, not necessarily deep.

route-chart_HIL628694_2020-POST-20_16115

21 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

As a big time  Colts fan East, I really hope PC figures it out and remains healthy to do so!!!  As far as JT, I will continue to be over opportunistic and support his talent as I see him being a top 2 talent.  Time will tell on this but I feel strongly!!!   

I'm a huge JT fan. Like I've said, I see him as a top 5 guy. I'm just not going to saddle him with lofty expectations. I'd love to see him kill some of the good Ds we play early though. PC is due for some luck. 

On 5/22/2021 at 1:30 AM, BornHoosier said:

Show me that this guy can play in this league without a season ending injury?  I'll wait...

Your post that I responded to wasn't even about that. It was some made up garbage about everyone knowing that Parris Campbell has a low football IQ and his only attribute is speed. I showed that the pre-draft scouting reports say he has high football intelligence, was a team captain and leader at Ohio State, and an excellent competitor. Instead of changing the subject, why not just admit you were wrong? I'll wait . . .  

On 5/22/2021 at 1:30 AM, BornHoosier said:

You can use that logic on Taylor too.   Show me that this guy can play great for an entire season?   I'll wait...

On 5/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, PRnum1 said:

I think if he had just hurdled over the tackle he might have made it through the whole season.

track & field wave GIF by GreenWave

It was Harrison Smith, so who knows if he's going to go low or stay high and blow you up. Trying to hurdle near him usually isn't a great business decision either. In hindsight, it definitely would have been though.

11 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Safety and health should be #1 priority for Paris in 2021.

I agree with the statement on health.

He needs to do everything he can for best health

But..... maybe going down after the catch, like Hilton and Marvin H were good at to limit the big hits 

IMHO

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

TY can probably help Campbell into knowing when to just go down instead of taking the hit. It’s something I think Parris can probably learn.

Agreed

Marvin Harrison was great about not taking the big hit

I wonder if TY got it from watching him on tape

On 5/24/2021 at 10:24 PM, Wentzszn said:

TY can probably help Campbell into knowing when to just go down instead of taking the hit. It’s something I think Parris can probably learn.

Purely my opinion, but there's competing narratives between trying balance health vs YAC, and on top of that, there are positional expectations, and context around body type. 

Campbell, per Ballard/Reich was drafted because of his YACatch and YAContact potential and was meant to start inside at slot and work outside gradually. Campbell has a body type that you expect to take some punishment and a history of playing RB and PR. There is also the expectation of YAContact from the slot. TY is tiny compared to Campbell, and has never been a YAC kind of guy. His YAC is not really YAContact, it's deeper and YACatch because he's burnt someone.

I'm perfectly fine with Campbell being an outside guy, and shying away from hits. If he stays at slot though, you really don't want a guy who's afraid of contact.

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but there's competing narratives between trying balance health vs YAC, and on top of that, there are positional expectations, and context around body type. 

Campbell, per Ballard/Reich was drafted because of his YACatch and YAContact potential and was meant to start inside at slot and work outside gradually. Campbell has a body type that you expect to take some punishment and a history of playing RB and PR. There is also the expectation of YAContact from the slot. TY is tiny compared to Campbell, and has never been a YAC kind of guy. His YAC is not really YAContact, it's deeper and YACatch because he's burnt someone.

I'm perfectly fine with Campbell being an outside guy, and shying away from hits. If he stays at slot though, you really don't want a guy who's afraid of contact.

The irony is that they drafted Campbell for YAC...but passed over arguably the best YAC player in the entire NFL (and another if you count Deebo, who was #2 in 2019 and then got hurt last year).

20 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Good story on Campbell and how he was in a bad place after his injury.

Thanks for posting, however, I do not have access to "theathletic.com." Would you mind posting a breakdown of the story?

45 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

DK Metkalf posted this on campbells latest IG post. What a jerk. I think he deleted it now.

And some Colts fans still wonder why we didn't draft Metcalf. I thank the universe for the culture that Ballard is building in Indy. 

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

And some Colts fans still wonder why we didn't draft Metcalf. I thank the universe for the culture that Ballard is building in Indy. 

I don't know Parris' childhood background. Was he raised in the "hood"?

If so, then DK is a jerk.

If not, then what's the problem with what DK said?

Archived