Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final Free Agency Thread (Top Remaining Options)

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Ok, you and @NewColtsFan have challenged me, and I was just sitting here with my arms crossed, saying, "no, NCF, I'm not going to go look up every single example of being outbid.  Not gonna do it.  Noooo sir.  Not... Gonna... Do...."  And I wound up going back and looked them up, anyway.

And, I have so say it, the data proves your point more than it proves mine.

Examples!

2017 we lost one of our better CB's, Rashaan Melvin, to the Raiders when they signed him to a 1 year, $5million contract.  I'm sure we gave him a low ball offer as well, that just didn't match up.  Next year?  He started 7 of 14 games for the Raiders, with only 1 IND and 9 passes defended.  The following year at Detroit, 12 of 13 games, 0 INT's.  A whole bunch of meh.  Looks like CB knew what he was doing.

2018 we got outbid for DT Al Woods.  I maintained that one of the reasons Leonard was able to perform so well was that he had Woods in front of him to absorb all of the blocks.  Seattle gave him a 1 year, $2.25 million contract.  Next year?  He started 5 of 12 games, 1 sack, 1 QB hit, and was suspended for PED's.  Huh.

2019 we lost our best CB, Pierre Desir, to the Jets for a simple 1 year $3,75 million contract.  Next year?  He started 8 of 9 games for them, with 3 INT's and 8 passes defended before they up and waived him for what I don't recall.

The only example that goes my way is that last year we gave L'Raven Clark a 1 year $1.2 million contract, and lost Joe Haeg to the Bucs for a 1 year $2.3 million deal.  I think I would have ponied up the extra money to keep Haeg, thank you very much.

So, yeah, CB does seem to know what he's doing.  And you guys were more right than I was.

So, I'll just be sitting over here with a bowl full of crow.  nom nom nom nom.  Needs salt.

I think the thing with Haeg, wasn’t the money.  The Bucs said he’d have the chance to start.  We weren’t giving Haeg that opportunity.   He was just our 6th OL.     Plus, Florida has no state tax, which is an advantage.  

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Ok, you and @NewColtsFan have challenged me, and I was just sitting here with my arms crossed, saying, "no, NCF, I'm not going to go look up every single example of being outbid.  Not gonna do it.  Noooo sir.  Not... Gonna... Do...."  And I wound up going back and looked them up, anyway.

And, I have so say it, the data proves your point more than it proves mine.

Examples!

2017 we lost one of our better CB's, Rashaan Melvin, to the Raiders when they signed him to a 1 year, $5million contract.  I'm sure we gave him a low ball offer as well, that just didn't match up.  Next year?  He started 7 of 14 games for the Raiders, with only 1 IND and 9 passes defended.  The following year at Detroit, 12 of 13 games, 0 INT's.  A whole bunch of meh.  Looks like CB knew what he was doing.

2018 we got outbid for DT Al Woods.  I maintained that one of the reasons Leonard was able to perform so well was that he had Woods in front of him to absorb all of the blocks.  Seattle gave him a 1 year, $2.25 million contract.  Next year?  He started 5 of 12 games, 1 sack, 1 QB hit, and was suspended for PED's.  Huh.

2019 we lost our best CB, Pierre Desir, to the Jets for a simple 1 year $3,75 million contract.  Next year?  He started 8 of 9 games for them, with 3 INT's and 8 passes defended before they up and waived him for what I don't recall.

The only example that goes my way is that last year we gave L'Raven Clark a 1 year $1.2 million contract, and lost Joe Haeg to the Bucs for a 1 year $2.3 million deal.  I think I would have ponied up the extra money to keep Haeg, thank you very much.

So, yeah, CB does seem to know what he's doing.  And you guys were more right than I was.

So, I'll just be sitting over here with a bowl full of crow.  nom nom nom nom.  Needs salt.

Im impressed. That said, don’t feel too bad, we’re all wrong at some point in time or another. Heck I’m married and my wife reminds me I’m wrong just about every day, multiple times haha. 

that said, I’m book marking your post for future use the next time some other poster brings up the bidding thing haha 

No doubt he’s sitting on a certain price. He might have to wait for a long time until a major injury pops up and even then this will be a tight market. He’d be smart to sign soon. 

Just now, Hoose said:

No doubt he’s sitting on a certain price. He might have to wait for a long time until a major injury pops up and even then this will be a tight market. He’d be smart to sign soon. 

Clowney that is.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Feels like the need now is defensive end.   Time for Houston,  Clowney, and perhaps Dunlap?    I hope we find a way to bring back Houston.   And I’d be fine with Muhammed too. 

I'd be interested to see if Melvin Ingram can still play

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

Clowney that is.

I wouldn't be surprised if we could sign him to an incentive deal like TY's.  For example 9M guaranteed.  Then and extra 125k for each sack and solo tackle.  I think he would have a career year next to Buckner. 

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I still would like Kpassagnon. 

Out of curiosity - why? Like do you like his game? He's not been good in the league... he's been about the same level as Banogu or Lewis. I guess... if we are bringing him in as a shot to take on a traitsy player for the minimum or thereabout... but I wouldn't bring him in relying on him to start for us. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Out of curiosity - why? Like do you like his game? He's not been good in the league... he's been about the same level as Banogu or Lewis. I guess... if we are bringing him in as a shot to take on a traitsy player for the minimum or thereabout... but I wouldn't bring him in relying on him to start for us. 

I think he would do very well here. He's fairly young too and would flourish next to Buckner.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think with Tell coming back, it made Carrie expandable.

Possible... maybe he was replaceable even without Tell... it's not like he was amazing... but he was playable. I kind of hope one of Rock, Tell and Rodgers(actually really hope it's Rodgers) takes on the opportunity and runs with it. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Possible... maybe he was replaceable even without Tell... it's not like he was amazing... but he was playable. I kind of hope one of Rock, Tell and Rodgers(actually really hope it's Rodgers) takes on the opportunity and runs with it. 

I do like Rodgers. He picked Allen twice. Unfortunately it didn't count.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Feels like the need now is defensive end.   Time for Houston,  Clowney, and perhaps Dunlap?    I hope we find a way to bring back Houston.   And I’d be fine with Muhammed too. 

Yeah I don’t think we will make a significant move either in the FA for a starting DE. Maybe a 1 year rotational guy after the preseason games cuts. But not quality starter that going to play 70% of the snaps and leave players like Turay and Banogu mostly on the sidelines. But I do think we will draft one in the second or first round though.

Ultimately I think Ballard wants to thrust Lewis, Banogu, Turay and a high 2021 draft pick into starting roles next season and see how they do. Ballard has drafted 4 DEs in the second and third rounds since he got here (and likely will draft another one again next month) yet has always relied on veterans to start (Sheard, Simon, Autry, Houston). I think Ballard wants to see his own guys make it.

Just my view of the position, I could well be wrong.

31 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yeah I don’t think we will make a significant move either in the FA for a starting DE. Maybe a 1 year rotational guy after the preseason games cuts. But not quality starter that going to play 70% of the snaps and leave players like Turay and Banogu mostly on the sidelines. But I do think we will draft one in the second or first round though.

Ultimately I think Ballard wants to thrust Lewis, Banogu, Turay and a high 2021 draft pick into starting roles next season and see how they do. Ballard has drafted 4 DEs in the second and third rounds since he got here (and likely will draft another one again next month) yet has always relied on veterans to start (Sheard, Simon, Autry, Houston). I think Ballard wants to see his own guys make it.

Just my view of the position, I could well be wrong.

Maybe.   But I think losing Autry and Houston is too much. I think he brings in another experienced ER to start.  JMO.

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe.   But I think losing Autry and Houston is too much. I think he brings in another experienced ER to start.  JMO.

I agree. You're courting disaster for the pass rush if the kids don't pan out. 

Archived