Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense and Resources

Coltscrazy

31 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

I'm of the opinion that if you pay for the QB and the OL, then you should try to find bargains or less expensive options at WR.  I like this approach better than the teams that draft super QBs and have them get the stuffing beat out of them.  Give a good QB excellent protection, then the weapons will work themselves out.  If you did sign a mega money wr like Golliday, do you think you could pay to have a great defense? 

Who said anything about mega money WR? I think we need a number one since we haven't really had one since Reggie Wayne. Perhaps one could get that in the draft but we have a pretty sorry lot of receivers on this team. I do believe in building the lines but why bother getting an expensive QB if you don't have anyone for him to throw to?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

I'm of the opinion that if you pay for the QB and the OL, then you should try to find bargains or less expensive options at WR.  I like this approach better than the teams that draft super QBs and have them get the stuffing beat out of them.  Give a good QB excellent protection, then the weapons will work themselves out.  If you did sign a mega money wr like Golliday, do you think you could pay to have a great defense? 

Yup. You have to have average to above average lines (OL and DL) to really have a chance in the playoffs. So may teams have wasted early round QBs with bad OLs. Brady made a living with medium rated WRs. Purely my opinion, you simply need balance, but OLs and DLs are both high on the list ingredients needed just be have a chance.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. You have to have average to above average lines (OL and DL) to really have a chance in the playoffs. So may teams have wasted early round QBs with bad OLs. Brady made a living with medium rated WRs. Purely my opinion, you simply need balance, but OLs and DLs are both high on the list ingredients needed just be have a chance.

Brady had some great receivers too. I agree with wasted QBs with bad OLs. That is part of what happened here in Indiana with Andrew Luck. He didn't help with his willingness to take punishment when he should have been finding a soft spot to park. But this is a passing League. If you don't have a number one receiver, you are going to get beat a lot even with a great OL. I don't think Ballard will overspend for the defense or the offense in free agency. It isn't his style. He will probably sign some to short term contracts while he tries to get it done in the draft. 

6 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

Am I the only one who feels we had trouble stopping people last year?  After LT, I'd go all defense.  Re-sign Rhodes,and get a good edge rusher in FA.  That first round draft pick is tricky because we need the OT.  A few really good corners will be available to pair with Rhodes.  I'd hate to wait until the second round and hope a good OT falls to us, but I'd also hate to shell out huge money for an aging OT in free agency.  Ballard loves building inside out, and I agree completely, but the cap makes it hard to have two good lines and great cover guys.  I'd re-sign Rhodes and Mohammed, but I'd still want another corner and DE to go with the LT.  Any ideas how to fit all that under the cap?

It's  a passing league. Teams will have trouble stopping teams most of the time. 

We need playmaking WR's AND a vertical playmaker TE to keep up offensively with the better teams and their QB's. 

That's where our top resources should be focused on this season, especially considering our defensive scheme that we play most of the time. 

Irsay also said he wants elite WR and TE.

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It's  a passing league. Teams will have trouble stopping teams most of the time. 

We need playmaking WR's AND a vertical playmaker TE to keep up offensively with the better teams and their QB's. 

That's where our top resources should be focused on this season, especially considering our defensive scheme that we play most of the time. 

Irsay also said he wants elite WR and TE.

Our top resources as you say should be focused on DE and OT

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I disagree 

I think they are good but not great

There are several more pressing issues 

If Houston/Autry or Rhodes leaves DE and CB becomes big priority like OT and OL depth 

Your right, they are not great.

I would say are WR/ TE group  are probably closer to average than good. 

I disagree that in a passing league that there are more pressing needs than offensive weapons.

And of course we also need to solidify the LT position so Wentz has time to exploit any weapons besides Pittman that we hopefully acquire. 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

To add to this...

If the DE isn't getting pressure it doesn't matter what DBs are back there

If the LT isn't blocking it doesn't matter who is catching the ball 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Isn't Schwartz a RT? I think he might have played both in college, but has been on the right sense drafted. 

And Fisher tore his Achilles late last year. Not sure I'd bank on him.

He’s actually played both positions in the NFL. So the transition to the Left side really shouldn’t be difficult for him he has the athleticism to play there. And Fisher is rehabbing right now he should be good to go next season. 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Disagree. We've spent plenty of resources on defensive line the last few seasons and our offense has suffered for it. 

We now have a QB that can throw the ball and we need players who can get downfield for him and open up the offense which in turn will also help the running game.

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

I expect TY and Autry to walk. The best scenario is pay the money for Rhodes and Houston as well as a solid FA DE and a dependable FA wide receiver; then draft the LT, CB and TE they need. 

I don't think spending that much on two older players who could drop off quickly next year is smart. I think Ballard will go younger at both spots. We were lucky to get what we got out of those guys last year. I wouldn't want to keep pushing our luck another year or two.

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

To add to this...

If the DE isn't getting pressure it doesn't matter what DBs are back there

If the LT isn't blocking it doesn't matter who is catching the ball 

I said in the other post we need to also solidify the LT position....which of course should have been addressed last season because AC wanted to retire last season.

The 3 yards and a cloud of dust era has been gone a long long time. And teams are taking advantage of the rule changes that help the receivers and the way the refs call the game and protecting the QB  by passing most of the time. 

Unfortunately,  in this passing era we're in, we lack playmaking WR, TE, LT, CB, and edge rusher.

All those are the most important positions these days along with of course QB. And luckily for us, the Eagles turned into a Dumpster Fire, or we would also be needing a QB...the most important and hardest position in sports.

2 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Brady had some great receivers too. I agree with wasted QBs with bad OLs. That is part of what happened here in Indiana with Andrew Luck. He didn't help with his willingness to take punishment when he should have been finding a soft spot to park. But this is a passing League. If you don't have a number one receiver, you are going to get beat a lot even with a great OL. I don't think Ballard will overspend for the defense or the offense in free agency. It isn't his style. He will probably sign some to short term contracts while he tries to get it done in the draft. 

IDK. Luck did fine in 2018 stat wise with Rogers as his #2. Brady had a few good years of WRs, but overall they were low profile guys compared to other high octane Os.

I agree, Luck created some of the problem though. 

The overspend topic is nuanced. If you look at positional spending, we do have balance issues in certain areas.. That's a separate and distinct conversation though when compared to signing FAs and term of contract. 

52 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

He’s actually played both positions in the NFL. So the transition to the Left side really shouldn’t be difficult for him he has the athleticism to play there. And Fisher is rehabbing right now he should be good to go next season. 

Sorry, but an Achilles at the age the age of 30 or more, shouldn't lend itself to certainty, especially for a LT.

Who did Fisher play LT for. I took a quick look at his hops, and it looked as if it was all RT.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I said in the other post we need to also solidify the LT position....which of course should have been addressed last season because AC wanted to retire last season.

The 3 yards and a cloud of dust era has been gone a long long time. And teams are taking advantage of the rule changes that help the receivers and the way the refs call the game and protecting the QB  by passing most of the time. 

Unfortunately,  in this passing era we're in, we lack playmaking WR, TE, LT, CB, and edge rusher.

All those are the most important positions these days along with of course QB. And luckily for us, the Eagles turned into a Dumpster Fire, or we would also be needing a QB...the most important and hardest position in sports.

I agree it is a passing league, however that would translate with all wideouts and TE as well.  With a great line and a good QB, the defense is not allowed to put their hands on guys like Pascal either.  You could win with star wars numbers in shootouts, but good lines and a good defense are probably more likely to produce post season success.  JMO

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I couldn't agree more.  Lawson 14m No problem. 

Agreed.  

Lawson over resigning Autry.  Autry was good but never got the pressure the team needed consistently on the quarterback like Lawson has proven.  So were the QBs quicker to release the ball in the AFC South than the AFC North or was it that the LTs were not as great?  Or simply Lawson is that much better of a player than Autry.  

Either way would like to see Lawson as a Colt and see him repeat his success in the AFC South.

38 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Agreed.  

Lawson over resigning Autry.  Autry was good but never got the pressure the team needed consistently on the quarterback like Lawson has proven.  So were the QBs quicker to release the ball in the AFC South than the AFC North or was it that the LTs were not as great?  Or simply Lawson is that much better of a player than Autry.  

Either way would like to see Lawson as a Colt and see him repeat his success in the AFC South.

you do realize that

1) Cinci blitzes almost twice as much as Indy making it easier pass rushing

and 

2) Autry had more sacks (7.5) than Lawson (5.5), and got them in less snaps than Lawson.

I think the Colts should resign one of each pair in Houston/Autry and Rhodes/Carrie. They should also sign average starting caliber OT, LB, #3 WR.  Then draft BPA at these positions in order of importance if multiple players grade closely: OT, DE, CB, TE, WR. You protect the QB, get after their QB and make plays on the ball to get it back to your QB.  I personally am not as worried about our WRs bc Pittman, Pascal, Campbell(I know he hasn’t been healthy but isolated injuries so try again) and I believe Dulin is a burner. Throw in Hines and Taylor and that’s a good offense.  Of course there is room for improvement but Reich and Wentz will need to elevate what playmakers are here to allow the rest of the roster to receive attention.  

11 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Who said anything about mega money WR? I think we need a number one since we haven't really had one since Reggie Wayne. Perhaps one could get that in the draft but we have a pretty sorry lot of receivers on this team. I do believe in building the lines but why bother getting an expensive QB if you don't have anyone for him to throw to?

I disagree.   Hilton, Pittman, Campbell, Pascal.   Not a great WR crew, but not as bad as you make it out to be.   I know it was a small sample, but Campbell was impressive in the little playing time he had last year.  

I still think we need to add a WR or a good TE to complete the unit.  

17 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I think we need more than one. The group we have is very weak IMO. Some have promise but injury issues. We need a true number one since we have not had one for a long time.

I don't have the same opinion as you do about our receiving crew being weak. 

Rivers threw for 4,169 yds with an average of 260 yds a game. That was good for 10th in the league. 

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Rivers threw for 4,169 yds with an average of 260 yds a game. That was good for 10th in the league. 

Yep.   I think Hines can be used more in the passing game and Mo can be more of a factor.  

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep.   I think Hines can be used more in the passing game and Mo can be more of a factor.  

I do agree with Mo being more involved. I don't think he was being utilized as much as he should have been. 

I know the TE position is viewed as a high need but IMO not as much as a couple of other positions. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I do agree with Mo being more involved. I don't think he was being utilized as much as he should have been. 

I know the TE position is viewed as a high need but IMO not as much as a couple of other positions. 

Mo needs too stay healthy to b more involved

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That...and get much better quicker. He's huge, with huge hands and decent long speed...but he's not really a TE in the short passing game. And I don't think Reich will ever fully use him that way.

45 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He's played in 31 of the last 32 games.   

I just don't think Reich likes him much.  After week 2 when he had 5 receptions for 111 yards he was targeted less than 5 times in every game except 1.  In 6 games he was targeted 2 times or less.   

i really liked what I seen of him.  He has a really good catch percent.  At 6'5" and 267 pounds he has the size I like.   

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

He's played in 31 of the last 32 games.   

I just don't think Reich likes him much.  After week 2 when he had 5 receptions for 111 yards he was targeted less than 5 times in every game except 1.  In 6 games he was targeted 2 times or less.   

i really liked what I seen of him.  He has a really good catch percent.  At 6'5" and 267 pounds he has the size I like.   

Always dinged up never fully healthy.  I love him athletically 

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The whole NFL thinks the Colts receivers are weak. Every single analysis I see says we desperately need receiving help and many pundits think we need to get one in the first round. We do not have a true number one receiver and we haven't had one since Reggie Wayne. I think two receivers have to be added and a couple cut from the bunch we have. A couple have potential but haven't cashed in on it yet. TY is washed up in my opinion. When a speed receiver loses a step he isn't worth much anymore. I could see a big drop in production this year unless they sign a potential number one and add another. We also need a tight end for the passing game.

3 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

The whole NFL thinks the Colts receivers are weak. Every single analysis I see says we desperately need receiving help and many pundits think we need to get one in the first round. We do not have a true number one receiver and we haven't had one since Reggie Wayne. I think two receivers have to be added and a couple cut from the bunch we have. A couple have potential but haven't cashed in on it yet. TY is washed up in my opinion. When a speed receiver loses a step he isn't worth much anymore. I could see a big drop in production this year unless they sign a potential number one and add another. We also need a tight end for the passing game.

I strongly believe there's 2 kinds of posters here. 

1. Build the trenches 

2. Get skill positions players

I follow 1

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Is this accurate about 33 inches 

Much ado about nothing. Likely a soft requirement on the draft board, but I'm sure it's not a hard line with FAs.

If it is a hard requirement, it's not been the recipe for success with his DE drafting.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:03 PM, Coltscrazy said:

Am I the only one who feels we had trouble stopping people last year?  After LT, I'd go all defense.  Re-sign Rhodes,and get a good edge rusher in FA.  That first round draft pick is tricky because we need the OT.  A few really good corners will be available to pair with Rhodes.  I'd hate to wait until the second round and hope a good OT falls to us, but I'd also hate to shell out huge money for an aging OT in free agency.  Ballard loves building inside out, and I agree completely, but the cap makes it hard to have two good lines and great cover guys.  I'd re-sign Rhodes and Mohammed, but I'd still want another corner and DE to go with the LT.  Any ideas how to fit all that under the cap?

Wrangle a restructure out of Buckner?

On 3/12/2021 at 6:55 AM, EastStreet said:

you do realize that

1) Cinci blitzes almost twice as much as Indy making it easier pass rushing

and 

2) Autry had more sacks (7.5) than Lawson (5.5), and got them in less snaps than Lawson.

Blitzing doesn't automatically make pass rushing easier. In fact, blitzing shouldn't make pass rushing easier at all. If a DE is one on one with a LT, their win rate shouldn't be affected at all by blitzing. They'd be one on one blitz or no blitz. 

Blitzing can lead to unblocked sacks, which might make a rusher look better than he is, but it doesn't make any single player more or less likely to win a one on one match-up. 

Lawson had a pass rush win rate of 20.1% last season, which is better than Mack, Chubb, Ngakoue. I can't find Autry's win rate from 2020 but it was 14% in 2019. 

Autry is a good, versatile player but finishing the season with 2 more sacks certainly doesn't make him a better pass rusher.

18 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

So get one FA and then add another through the draft? I’d be okay with that. We’ve got some decent receivers already on the team, but they aren’t reliable due to injuries... which isn’t helping the team.

Archived