Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense and Resources

Coltscrazy

Am I the only one who feels we had trouble stopping people last year?  After LT, I'd go all defense.  Re-sign Rhodes,and get a good edge rusher in FA.  That first round draft pick is tricky because we need the OT.  A few really good corners will be available to pair with Rhodes.  I'd hate to wait until the second round and hope a good OT falls to us, but I'd also hate to shell out huge money for an aging OT in free agency.  Ballard loves building inside out, and I agree completely, but the cap makes it hard to have two good lines and great cover guys.  I'd re-sign Rhodes and Mohammed, but I'd still want another corner and DE to go with the LT.  Any ideas how to fit all that under the cap?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would let Hilton Rhodes and Houston walk 

Replace them with Okwara Melifonwu and Samuel or Agholor. 

LT Cosmi Radunz or Eichenberg 

Rhodes was by far our best corner, shouldn't we keep him and get him help?  I'm completely onboard with Okwara.

4 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

Rhodes was by far our best corner, shouldn't we keep him and get him help?  I'm completely onboard with Okwara.

I think Colts let him test the market and he finds a better deal elsewhere .

Okwara 8m per 

Agholar 8m per

Leonard 18m per 

or 

Okwara 8m per

Samuel 12m per

Smith 14m per

47 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

Am I the only one who feels we had trouble stopping people last year?  After LT, I'd go all defense.  Re-sign Rhodes,and get a good edge rusher in FA.  That first round draft pick is tricky because we need the OT.  A few really good corners will be available to pair with Rhodes.  I'd hate to wait until the second round and hope a good OT falls to us, but I'd also hate to shell out huge money for an aging OT in free agency.  Ballard loves building inside out, and I agree completely, but the cap makes it hard to have two good lines and great cover guys.  I'd re-sign Rhodes and Mohammed, but I'd still want another corner and DE to go with the LT.  Any ideas how to fit all that under the cap?

How about the "good" WRs we need?

3 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I think we need more than one. The group we have is very weak IMO. Some have promise but injury issues. We need a true number one since we have not had one for a long time.

I disagree 

I think they are good but not great

There are several more pressing issues 

If Houston/Autry or Rhodes leaves DE and CB becomes big priority like OT and OL depth 

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm slowly warming up to Carl Lawson but also know he will cost close to 14m so

Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I think Lawson is easily the best option out there in terms of edge rushers. Second behind Barrett if he doesn't end up back in Tampa.

Lawson is young, fits our scheme perfectly, and grades out best according to PFF. A lot of the other edge rushers with better numbers come with a lot of caveats, eg. Bud Dupree and Trey Hendrickson. Lawson is very underrated imo.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I would let Hilton Rhodes and Houston walk 

Replace them with Okwara Melifonwu and Samuel or Agholor. 

LT Cosmi Radunz or Eichenberg 

I was watching Ifeatu Melifonwu vs Dyami Brown there recently. Melifonwu is an incredible athlete with great length too. He was able to run vertically with Brown which says a lot. He showed that speed too at the Senior bowl. He would be a good 2nd round pick imo.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

I disagree 

I think they are good but not great

There are several more pressing issues 

If Houston/Autry or Rhodes leaves DE and CB becomes big priority like OT and OL depth 

I disagree  with your disagreeing lol we are in desperate  need of more elite playmakers on both sides of the ball. We haven't  been good at drafting  pass rushers and we could use another  playmaking wr and te that will given defensive  coordinators  nightmares

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I disagree  with your disagreeing lol we are in desperate  need of more elite playmakers on both sides of the ball. We haven't  been good at drafting  pass rushers and we could use another  playmaking wr and te that will given defensive  coordinators  nightmares

I think dax milne byu can be had later in the draft and he is a beast at catching during  unscripted  plays that wentz is capable  of. Since we won't  draft Zach Wilson go get his favorite  wr lol

9 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I was watching Ifeatu Melifonwu vs Dyami Brown there recently. Melifonwu is an incredible athlete with great length too. He was able to run vertically with Brown which says a lot. He showed that speed too at the Senior bowl. He would be a good 2nd round pick imo.

If we get him in the second who is your first round pick

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If we get him in the second who is your first round pick

My favourite scenario would be Darrisaw  so long as we got a DE like Okwara in free agency. I also like Cosmi if Darrisaw isn’t there. 

If we go with a veteran LT in the free agency, I like Jaelan Phillips a lot too.

Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

I hope you are right. Unlike many others, I have a dim view of our receiving corp. 

I agree currently  we have Pittman, an always injured Campbell,  pascal isn't  officially  resigned yet, dez patmon who never was given a chance, Daurice  fountain  who hasn't  showed much yet, jj nelson may not make final roster, demichael harris who needs more work on route tree and other guys who are more special  teams than wr

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

My favourite scenario would be Darrisaw  so long as we got a DE like Okwara in free agency. I also like Cosmi if Darrisaw isn’t there. 

If we go with a veteran LT in the free agency, I like Jaelan Phillips a lot too.

Yea definitely  need to pick Lt first if we don't  address  it in free agency

Just now, Stephen said:

I agree currently  we have Pittman, an always injured Campbell,  pascal isn't  officially  resigned yet, dez patmon who never was given a chance, Daurice  fountain  who hasn't  showed much yet, jj nelson may not make final roster, demichael harris who needs more work on route tree and other guys who are more special  teams than wr

We need a true number one receiver. TY was a faux number one in my opinion because of his size. But he was very good. Last was a while ago. 

Just now, Thebrashandthebold said:

We need a true number one receiver. TY was a faux number one in my opinion because of his size. But he was very good. Last was a while ago. 

I still wouldn't  mind t.y. and galloday signing or a draft pick. Need a wr that is fast and lnows the whole route tree

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I still wouldn't  mind t.y. and galloday signing or a draft pick. Need a wr that is fast and lnows the whole route tree

I expect TY and Autry to walk. The best scenario is pay the money for Rhodes and Houston as well as a solid FA DE and a dependable FA wide receiver; then draft the LT, CB and TE they need. I can't see them shelling out for the LT position given the top heavy investment in Kelley, Smith and Q that I expect them to make. That demands a high draft pick. And a vet WR who can run the route tree dependably is preferable to waiting the 1-2 years it takes to break in a rookie. 

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I think good lines on both sides is a smart policy.  I don't even know how we can have that with good corners and Wentz, let alone stud wideouts.  In the past people assured me you can have crazy talent at every position, and talked like I was crazy for wondering about the numbers.  I'd just love two good corners to go with the lines and the QB.  I'd sure hate to be a GM and try to get all the contracts to come due at the right time.  Somehow you have to have your key positions be a combo of rookie contracts and veterans.  Some have said a rookie LT would help offset some of the money going into the OL.  Keep the contracts staggered.  In the end, there is only so much magic you can pull with the cap.

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I expect TY and Autry to walk. The best scenario is pay the money for Rhodes and Houston as well as a solid FA DE and a dependable FA wide receiver; then draft the LT, CB and TE they need. I can't see them shelling out for the LT position given the top heavy investment in Kelley, Smith and Q that I expect them to make. That demands a high draft pick. And a vet WR who can run the route tree dependably is preferable to waiting the 1-2 years it takes to break in a rookie. 

I just think there is no way we resign Houston unless he takes a deal. There are too many other, better pass rushers out there. If he signs for $6.5 mil/ or less year yes. If not, he walks. He reminds me of a little better Jabaal Sheard at this point in his career. 

38 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Did you see my 2 round mock recently 

3 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

On the trouble stopping people...... I fault the scheme more than the players. Our bend and break soft zone, matched with our near league low blitzing effort, just isn't a recipe that excites me.

3 hours ago, Coltscrazy said:

something tells me the Colts will be very aggressive in free agency. The Chiefs just released Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher. Both whom Ballard is very familiar with I think we grab one of them prefers Schwartz and we go WR or CB with the first pick. 

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

I think Lawson is easily the best option out there in terms of edge rushers. Second behind Barrett if he doesn't end up back in Tampa.

Lawson is young, fits our scheme perfectly, and grades out best according to PFF. A lot of the other edge rushers with better numbers come with a lot of caveats, eg. Bud Dupree and Trey Hendrickson. Lawson is very underrated imo.

I couldn't agree more.  Lawson 14m No problem. 

4 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

something tells me the Colts will be very aggressive in free agency. The Chiefs just released Mitchell Schwartz and Eric Fisher. Both whom Ballard is very familiar with I think we grab one of them prefers Schwartz and we go WR or CB with the first pick. 

Isn't Schwartz a RT? I think he might have played both in college, but has been on the right sense drafted. 

And Fisher tore his Achilles late last year. Not sure I'd bank on him.

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

He fits the mold of perfect Ballard selection 

4 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I'm of the opinion that if you pay for the QB and the OL, then you should try to find bargains or less expensive options at WR.  I like this approach better than the teams that draft super QBs and have them get the stuffing beat out of them.  Give a good QB excellent protection, then the weapons will work themselves out.  If you did sign a mega money wr like Golliday, do you think you could pay to have a great defense? 

Archived