Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was the trade for Buckner worth it?

Dogg63

Since we're dealing with small sample sizes, how about comparing DeForest Buckner against his equivalent DT that we might have taken had we not traded the pick, Javon Kinlaw?

Buckner

11/11 starts, 4.5 sacks, 18 pressures, 10 knockdowns, 3 hurries, 44 combined tackles

Kinlaw

9/11 starts, 1.5 sacks, 9 pressures, 2 knockdowns, 5 hurries, 24 combined tackles

7 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Here are some interesting stats from this season - with and without Buckner on the field.

Colts defense with Buckner on the field: 18 takeaways, 3 defensive TDs, 3 safeties forced

Colts defense without Buckner on the field: 0 takeaways, 0 defensive TDs, 0 safeties forced

Colts defense with Buckner on the field: allows 5.39 yards per play

Colts defense without Buckner on the field: allows 6.38 yards per play

With Buckner: 28.72 conversion percentage allowed

Without Buckner: 35.86 conversion percentage allowed

With Buckner: 3.27 yards allowed per carry

Without Buckner: 5.16 yards allowed per carry

With Buckner: 6.8 percent explosive run plays allowed

Without Buckner: 18.8 percent explosive run plays allowed

With Buckner: 6.95 passing yards per attempt allowed

Without Buckner: 7.69 passing yards per attempt allowed

With Buckner: 13.37 percent explosive pass plays allowed

Without Buckner: 18.63 percent explosive pass plays allowed

With Buckner: 29.82 percent (34/114) opposing drives end with a score (TD/FG)

Without Buckner: 83.33 percent (10/12) opposing drives end with a score (TD/FG)

There is enough of a sample size through Week 13 (192 total pass/run attempts without No. 99 on the field) to indicate without a shred of doubt just how important/valuable Buckner is to this defense.

There's Aaron Donald and DeForest Buckner, and then there's everyone else.

We won the trade, it was absolutely freaking worth it!!! Anyone who says otherwise is an * 

17 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Kinda because there been some improvements  but there still an ageing de in Houston  who not the same. Turrey still constantly  hurt and who knows who the other DT is. We need to get better at the trenches and I feel the Chris is not really addressing  it beside the one trade.

Sorry,  but I can't tell if this is what you meant to say?

Houston,  that aging DE,  just got 3 sacks yesterday.   Turay is coming back from an injury last year.   He has not suffered a new injury this year.    He is rehabbing this year.     And then you wrote,  "and who knows who the other DT is."    I can't tell if that is a typo,  because one DT is Buckner,  so we know him.   The other is Stewart, who just got a 3-year, $31 Mill contract.   So, we DO know who he is.  Maybe you meant other DE spot?    And that would be Autry, who is one of our better pass rushers.

Is 192 defensive snaps without Buckner on the field a small sample size? That's roughly three whole games worth of defensive snaps, and more than 25 percent of the entire defensive snaps to this point of the season. I definitely don't mind anybody using a critical/realistic approach to these numbers, but I'm legit wondering.

4 hours ago, TheLegend87 said:

The 49ers are *s for letting him go. Lol.

Not really.  The 9ers essentially couldn't afford to pay everyone they had on their roster and they had a loaded DL.  The gave Arik Armstead a big contract.  Dee Ford has a big contract.  Nick Bosa is likely going to demand a huge contract if he is healthy in a couple years.  

They needed to free up cap space and hopefully not lose too much talent.  They gave us Buckner, who we extended to a huge deal which they wouldn't be able to afford.  In return, they got a lesser, but still solid DT in Kinlaw who they can afford for his rookie contract.  

IMO, it was kind of a win-win for both teams.  They got someone to replace him (albeit it, I don't think Kinlaw will turn out to be as good as Buckner) who is still a solid DT (they lost some talent, but gained a lot of cap space in the future).  We had plenty of cap space, we signed Buckner to the 2nd highest DT contract in the league and he's performing very well for us at a position which is the most important in the D we run.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Same, I still think finding the right QB is MUCH more important than finding the right DT, but I'm willing to give some discretion and leeway to Ballard. It's possible he didn't like any of the QBs or didn't think he can get in position to draft the ones he liked so... I'd rather him get the DT he likes than a QB he doesn't like. 

Ballard and staff did a lot of due diligence scouting the QBs.  They probably didn't feel as though any QB after Burrows was worth trading up for and they are happy with trying out Eason and Rivers as stop gaps.  Maybe Eason isn't the long-term answer.  Rivers isn't the long-term answer but we are going to put ourselves into a position to move into the playoffs with him there (where we likely wouldn't have with Brissett).  We are building a team which doesn't need the best QB in the league to win games... chances are we can get a guy like Stafford, Carr, etc. in a year or 2 if we don't think Eason's our guy and can still develop talent around whatever QB we have so he doesn't have to be the person we hang the whole season on.

2 hours ago, AWalkerColts said:

Is 192 defensive snaps without Buckner on the field a small sample size? That's roughly three whole games worth of defensive snaps, and more than 25 percent of the entire defensive snaps to this point of the season. I definitely don't mind anybody using a critical/realistic approach to these numbers, but I'm legit wondering.

He is the MVP of the team IMO. Without him vs Tennessee our D looked lost. MVP of the offense, believe it or not is probably Rivers. We are 8-4 and his stats on any measure are good. May not be very good or great but definitely good :thmup:.

I am just happy we won because that was a must win, the Colts about gave me a heart attack. Had we lost 27-26 that would've ruined the season. I did pick us 27-24 so I was close on the score.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  but I can't tell if this is what you meant to say?

Houston,  that aging DE,  just got 3 sacks yesterday.   Turay is coming back from an injury last year.   He has not suffered a new injury this year.    He is rehabbing this year.     And then you wrote,  "and who knows who the other DT is."    I can't tell if that is a typo,  because one DT is Buckner,  so we know him.   The other is Stewart, who just got a 3-year, $31 Mill contract.   So, we DO know who he is.  Maybe you meant other DE spot?    And that would be Autry, who is one of our better pass rushers.

Sure would love Turay in full form and health for the game vs Steelers and the next game vs Watson. We will have a good chance of pulling off a win in both games with a healthy DL all around.

No question.  The guy is a star.  And he will only get better.  Another smart move by Ballard.

I would also say that in the stats of with/without Buckner that Autry was absent from the lineup as well which would also affect the #s.  Autry was another big sign by Ballard.  Houston..... now Grover is developing... i really like the core of this group. Now if we could get some consistent edge rush.

Pittsburgh giving up the #1 for Micah has seen similar rewards.

The only real downside is paying more money (for Buckner) than you would drafting a guy at that spot. But we were/are in good cap condition and the dude has more than earned his salary, imo. (Relatively speaking, of course)

Archived