Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patmon a TE possibility for 2021?

coltsfeva

• coltsfeva changed the title to Patmon a TE possibility for 2021?
9 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

He’s 6’4”, 225lbs and ran a sub-4.5 40

Maybe he could put on 10lbs and replace Burton?

Don’t know if he’s any good blocking or if that’s something that would need to be developed, but they say he’s been impressive. 

Thoughts?

My thoughts - It is bad idea that will never happen.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why replace Burton? He has shown he can make plays when he is used. 

I’m talking about next year but you’re right, if Burton has a big year, the Colts might just want to keep him.
  But Patmon does have some talent and is close to TE size, should the Colts decide to cut strings with Burton. 
   They’re going to have to pay Allie Cox.

Maybe they’ll get a good one in the draft. Whatever they decide to do, this group could be a strength next year.

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

My thoughts - It is bad idea that will never happen.

At one time, conventional wisdom would say, making a basketball player into a TE wouldn’t work. There may be a situation where it would make sense to consider it.

53 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

At one time, conventional wisdom would say, making a basketball player into a TE wouldn’t work. There may be a situation where it would make sense to consider it.

Erm..... 

Jimmy Graham
Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates
Julius Thomas (had a couple dominating years in Denver)
Mo Alie-Cox (on the rise)

Some decent ex-basketball players turned TE there....

58 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Tell me - name a time when a WR drafted out of college became a TE in the league?  Has it happened - sure but just by odds alone, it is     unlikely for Patmon.

They drafted him because they liked his skillsets, one of which is his size for a WR.  That has not all of the sudden changed.  

I don't think this is ever gonna happen.

But as it turns out, Trey Burton himself was a swiss army knife for the Gators in college. He played option QB (which is why he was the trigger man in the Philly Special), and lined up all over the place as a playmaker, including as a wide receiver. Coming out, he was 6'2, 224 pounds, 4.6 forty, 22 reps on the bench... I liked him and wanted the Colts to sign him as a UDFA.

Patmon's measurables and workout numbers aren't far off of from Burton's. He's bigger, longer, faster, more explosive, which is why he plays WR and not TE. He's impressive on the bench for a WR, 15 reps, with 33" arms. Like I said, I don't see him moving to TE, but he's big and strong enough to be a factor in the run game; in fact, he should dominate as a run blocker from any WR spot. The question is whether he'll make the most of his physical traits.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Tell me - name a time when a WR drafted out of college became a TE in the league?  Has it happened - sure but just by odds alone, it is     unlikely for Patmon.

They drafted him because they liked his skillsets, one of which is his size for a WR.  That has not all of the sudden changed.  

Darren Waller was a WR at Ga Tech. Ricky Seals-Jones did it in AZ. Eagles are trying Hakeem Butler at TE but don’t remember it happening very often. 

Burton is starting to get a rhythm going with Rivers so Ballard might just bring him back on another short deal if he continues to ball out. In a mock draft I did a month ago I had Ballard selecting Freiermuth in the first round. I don't think that is going to happen because he will not reach for a Tight End in the first round when the position is not a #1 priority.

Patmon is a WR, and converting him to TE would be a mistake. Whether he's on this team going forward or not he will never be a TE  in the NFL. Playing the TE position is a lot more than just catching the Football so thats why I say no. 

11 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Don’t know if he’s any good blocking or if that’s something that would need to be developed, but they say he’s been impressive. 

Thoughts?

What’s the obsession with playing guys out of position on this forum? He was drafted as a WR and I’m sure he will remain one. 

12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Thoughts?

I'd prefer to see what he can do at WR first. It's hard to find a 6-4/225 guys that runs 4.5 well. The big dig on him is he doesn't play to his size. That would not bode well for him in the TE space...

Burton is more a bully slot/HB than TE, so very different skillset. 

I like Doyle and Mo as prototypical TEs. Mo needs more snaps when he's back and healthy. 

12 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m talking about next year but you’re right, if Burton has a big year, the Colts might just want to keep him.
  But Patmon does have some talent and is close to TE size, should the Colts decide to cut strings with Burton. 
   They’re going to have to pay Allie Cox.

Maybe they’ll get a good one in the draft. Whatever they decide to do, this group could be a strength next year.

MAC is a RFA next year. To keep him , I would think the Colts will need to put a 2nd round tender on him. That would mean right around a 3 mill salary for 2021.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

MAC is a RFA next year. To keep him , I would think the Colts will need to put a 2nd round tender on him. That would mean right around a 3 mill salary for 2021.

Keep in mind we have right of first refusal regardless of tender level if another team offers.

Since he was a UFA we can offer him anything IIRC. It comes down to do we think a team will offer him 2.9 or more, and would we take a 2nd for him. 

If we're smart, we extend him before the season is over to a team friendly deal. We should have done that this offseason IMO. 

10 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Darren Waller was a WR at Ga Tech. Ricky Seals-Jones did it in AZ. Eagles are trying Hakeem Butler at TE but don’t remember it happening very often. 

I remember I had Waller in my mock with intentions to make him a TE. I was disappointed colts didn't draft him but pleased a top organization,Ravens did and made him a TE.

10 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Waller is 6-6 and 255 though. He was really too tall/big to play WR in the NFL. RSJ is 6-5 and 245, kinda the same deal as Waller.

Not saying 6-4 is too short for TE or anything, but he's criticized for not playing up to his 6-4 lol. The two guys you mentioned are just kinda outside of the typical WR parameters.

Funchess is a guy I always thought should of stuck to TE. IMO, it was bad for his career when he switched to WR. I think he would have been far more of a weapon at TE.

16 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Erm..... 

Jimmy Graham
Tony Gonzalez
Antonio Gates
Julius Thomas (had a couple dominating years in Denver)
Mo Alie-Cox (on the rise)

Some decent ex-basketball players turned TE there....

you misinterpreted his comment. Try reading it again

Interesting idea. If he gets some playing time it'd be easier to make an informed opinion on the subject. But with not seeing any snaps is impossible to tell from a fan perspective. I'm sure the coaches and Ballard would explore that route of they think it could work. 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind we have right of first refusal regardless of tender level if another team offers.

Since he was a UFA we can offer him anything IIRC. It comes down to do we think a team will offer him 2.9 or more, and would we take a 2nd for him. 

If we're smart, we extend him before the season is over to a team friendly deal. We should have done that this offseason IMO. 

I would think the Colts would probably take a 2nd for him . If they valued him more than that for another million or so , they could put a first on him or just extend him like you mentioned.

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

I would think the Colts would probably take a 2nd for him . If they valued him more than that for another million or so , they could put a first on him or just extend him like you mentioned.

I think they just offer him a team friendly deal, let him shop, and match if not too much. Not totally sure how the "original round tender" works with UDFAs, but I don't see many if any offering a 2nd round for him. That is, unless he balls out the rest of the year. Giving snaps will likely be split pretty evenly between Doyle and Burton too, so not sure how much of a chance he'll have to shine. 

4 hours ago, MFT5 said:

for 1 burton sucks or for the hypersensitive... Below Average 

He's not a great prototypical TE, but he is a decent slot bully/HB/gimmick guy.

I don't really even see him as a TE. More of a multipurpose guy. He's probably taking more or as many snaps away from slot as he is from TE.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Horse dung

trey burton has 1200 yds receiving en 5 years of a nfl career as a specialty receiving te ... he's definitely below avg

your talent evaluation is on par w his career if yu think burton is anything other than novelty

novelty - a small inexpensive toy/ornament 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

He's not a great prototypical TE, but he is a decent slot bully/HB/gimmick guy.

I don't really even see him as a TE. More of a multipurpose guy. He's probably taking more or as many snaps away from slot as he is from TE.

thank yu he's nothing special 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think they just offer him a team friendly deal, let him shop, and match if not too much. Not totally sure how the "original round tender" works with UDFAs, but I don't see many if any offering a 2nd round for him. That is, unless he balls out the rest of the year. Giving snaps will likely be split pretty evenly between Doyle and Burton too, so not sure how much of a chance he'll have to shine. 

Yeah , I pretty much agree with that.

oh.. the deal is teams are returned a draft pick which was the round the player was drafted in. For UFAs , it would be zippo. 

30 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yeah , I pretty much agree with that.

oh.. the deal is teams are returned a draft pick which was the round the player was drafted in. For UFAs , it would be zippo. 

I tried to look it up. It wasn't really clear on UDFAs. As long as we can offer whatever, and have right of refusal, I'm fine. 

If he does end up balling out, he might have serious suitors, and we might have to think about a 2nd round tender. Either way, got options. I really do hope he gets more snaps/targets though. He was absolutely a beast downfield. 

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think anyone said he was special but he better than your "he sucks and below average". 

explain how a receiving TE 5 year career going on 6 adds up to a good season and he's not below avg ... burton trash and this is enough discussing the bum 

1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

explain how a receiving TE 5 year career going on 6 adds up to a good season and he's not below avg ... burton trash and this is enough discussing the bum 

It's called being injured. 

But don't let that get in the way of you knowing everything. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's called being injured. 

But don't let that get in the way of you knowing everything. 

excuses, he's always injured that's part of being burton ... he sucks that's that ... undrafted for a reason lol

1200 yards en 5 years that's pitiful by any  deductive reasoning 

3 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

excuses, he's always injured that's part of being burton ... he sucks that's that ... undrafted for a reason lol

1200 yards en 5 years that's pitiful by any  deductive reasoning 

Sorry, I will trust Ballard's judgment over yours anytime. 

He had 3 pretty good years with Chicago till injuries took him out of games. 

There is no reasoning with you. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I will trust Ballard's judgment over yours anytime. 

He had 3 pretty good years with Chicago till injuries took him out of games. 

There is no reasoning with you. 

he had two years in Chicago. the last was not good at all. 

he had 4 with Philly, and wasn't anything the first two, and mediocre the last two.

was more gadget than anything.

51 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

he had 4 with Philly, and wasn't anything the first two, and mediocre the last two.

Glad someone here knows what's going on lol 

4 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

Glad someone here knows what's going on lol 

I don't think he's trash.

I just think it's improper to think of him, or try to use him, as a prototypical TE.

We used him well last game. He can be beneficial situationally.

He's not a guy you want posting in the EZ though, or trying to fight for a ball out wide.

He's best as a bully slot and gimmick guy. 

Pretty simple.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

2014- special teams - 4 tackles, blocked punt returned for a TD

2015- special teams- 13 tackles- offense 3 catches 18 yd average

2016- special teams- 8 tackles 2 forced fumbles- offense 37 catches 327 tds 1 td 20 first downs

2017- special teams= 6 tackles- offense 248 tds 5 tds 14 first downs

2018- offense 54 catches 569 yds 6 tds 29 first downs

2019- injury filled season

I think his value is more that giver credit for.

What good is this back and forth for anyone on this topic?

Is there any fulfillment about the end result?

If you notice a disagreement with someone and it keeps going back and forth just stop posting and responding to said poster. It literally does nothing.

It will eventually lead to intervention and potential warnings. Also, if you choose to interact in such activity, please don't come crying wolf on something when you are just as guilty.

Colts are coming off a bye week, everyone should just be excited about the game coming up tomorrow.

Archived