Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans could face severe punishment

BProland85

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/07/titans-could-end-up-being-hammered-by-league/

I for one would love the NFL to come down hard on the Titans for being negligible during this protocol. Their players simply lacked common sense and decided it was okay to get together when it was advised not to once their facilities were closed due to their outbreak. I've also heard numerous reports that pictures and videos turned over to the NFL show Titans players and staff not wearing masks inside the facility. 

I live in Nashville and plenty of the local radio guys are fully backing the Titans as expected, and they simply won't accept that Tennessee was in the wrong here. 

As a die hard Colts fan I would love to see the Titans lose high draft picks and possibly more. 

I almost started a thread on this on the Colts board since it would directly affect the Colts.   I think most think the Colts and the Titans will be neck and neck for the division.   

BProland85 mentioned "was advised not to" where I heard the NFL ordered teams not to.   If it is found that the Titans had this practice despite being told not to, it should result in punishment.  Hopefully more than fines.  Not sure a forfeiture is warranted, , but if they push the game to Monday and require the Bills to play Monday and Thursday it is punishing the Bills for no reason.  That's not fair.

I also would consider this cheating.  If other teams followed the rules and didn't cheat, then the Titans got an unfair advantage.

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

I almost started a thread on this on the Colts board since it would directly affect the Colts.   I think most think the Colts and the Titans will be neck and neck for the division.   

BProland85 mentioned "was advised not to" where I heard the NFL ordered teams not to.   If it is found that the Titans had this practice despite being told not to, it should result in punishment.  Hopefully more than fines.  Not sure a forfeiture is warranted, , but if they push the game to Monday and require the Bills to play Monday and Thursday it is punishing the Bills for no reason.  That's not fair.

I also would consider this cheating.  If other teams followed the rules and didn't cheat, then the Titans got an unfair advantage.

Ties to NE

If the Titans are forced to forfeit their game with the Bills this week it could cost the Bills players a game check. Under the Covid-19 rules the teams don't have to pay salary for games canceled or forfeited because of the virus. The actions of the Titans could have serious ramifications for all the teams they play this season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-players-may-not-get-paid-if-titans-forfeit-in-week-5-due-to-nf-ls-coronavirus-rules-152712850.html#:~:text=Content is currently unavailable.,Buffalo Bills is in jeopardy.&text=If the NFL makes the,neither team would be paid.

I would hope because this wasn’t their fault they would make a exception and pay them. Really sucks they may be playing one less game do to nothing they did. As a colt fan I will love if they they have to forfeit the games.

29 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If the Titans are forced to forfeit their game with the Bills this week it could cost the Bills players a game check. Under the Covid-19 rules the teams don't have to pay salary for games canceled or forfeited because of the virus. The actions of the Titans could have serious ramifications for all the teams they play this season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-players-may-not-get-paid-if-titans-forfeit-in-week-5-due-to-nf-ls-coronavirus-rules-152712850.html#:~:text=Content is currently unavailable.,Buffalo Bills is in jeopardy.&text=If the NFL makes the,neither team would be paid.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would hope because this wasn’t their fault they would make a exception and pay them. Really sucks they may be playing one less game do to nothing they did. As a colt fan I will love if they they have to forfeit the games.

They should make the Titans pay the Bills weekly pay, if that's the route they go.

17 hours ago, BProland85 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/07/titans-could-end-up-being-hammered-by-league/

I for one would love the NFL to come down hard on the Titans for being negligible during this protocol. Their players simply lacked common sense and decided it was okay to get together when it was advised not to once their facilities were closed due to their outbreak. I've also heard numerous reports that pictures and videos turned over to the NFL show Titans players and staff not wearing masks inside the facility. 

I live in Nashville and plenty of the local radio guys are fully backing the Titans as expected, and they simply won't accept that Tennessee was in the wrong here. 

As a die hard Colts fan I would love to see the Titans lose high draft picks and possibly more. 

IT is not surprising, just like NE Sports Talk always backing them. 

They are also being like the Cardinals (MLB) tests just dont stop coming back positive. They deserve to be forfeit games

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's not gonna happen

It has been reported it may be due to them not following rules and the fact they didnt respect protocol. They can also be made as an example, which can be big

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

It'd be a bummer if they end up just not playing those 2 games and the NFL uses win% to place where teams are set.  Bills and Steelers are 2 tough games where the Titans chance is around 50/50.  

Basically it would go as a win for the Steelers and Bills and the titans would get two losses. At least that is how I am understanding it. So no need for win %.

10 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I think they will forfeit their game vs the Bills on Sunday.

i think that's a very high probability right about now

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's not gonna happen

Did you read the letter the NFL sent to teams last week?  It is HIGHLY likely and reads as if there will be no appealing or leeway if found to be blatantly ignoring or not following the mandated protocols. With players' health involved, I think they'll come down hard if its warranted.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

NFL teams could forfeit games over COVID-19 violations, commissioner says

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/arts-culture/519773-nfl-teams-could-forfeit-games-over-covid-19

The NFLPA will not allow players to not get paid.    If the game is forfeited, neither the titans or bills get paid.   Also,   would they also have to forfeit the Steelers game that had to be postponed?  Not to mention all the money the league will lose in not playing the game.     It won't happen

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i think that's a very high probability right about now

Did you read the letter the NFL sent to teams last week?  It is HIGHLY likely and reads as if there will be no appealing or leeway if found to be blatantly ignoring or not following the mandated protocols. With players' health involved, I think they'll come down hard if its warranted.

I think they will be punished.   I don't think there is any way the game will be forfeited.    Read my other post above

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think they will be punished.   I don't think there is any way the game will be forfeited.    Read my other post above

you're likely right and have good points. But i'm not ruling it out. Especially if a second game is forced to be postponed

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

you're likely right and have good points. But i'm not ruling it out. Especially if a second game is forced to be postponed

Even in the league memo, they stated forfeiture of game is in the cards if a team is found to have broke rules.

I don't think the league even thought that it would be to this extent, to have multiple workouts after being told to not. I think they were just really talking about the protocols put in place. Not defying a direct order.

I think a forfeiture is in play, would actually be surprised at this point if not. If so I will feel bad for Josh Allen, because his stats will take a hit, when he has a legit shot at an MVP if he keeps playing like he has been.

Im ready to see the punishment levied against them.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Even in the league memo, they stated forfeiture of game is in the cards if a team is found to have broke rules.

I don't think the league even thought that it would be to this extent, to have multiple workouts after being told to not. I think they were just really talking about the protocols put in place. Not defying a direct order.

I think a forfeiture is in play, would actually be surprised at this point if not. If so I will feel bad for Josh Allen, because his stats will take a hit, when he has a legit shot at an MVP if he keeps playing like he has been.

well a forfeit will definitely send a message, especially to a division leading team.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Titans facing punishment?

Titans forfeiting games, potentially giving us the South?

jack nicholson yes GIF

Titans made stupid decisions, so they deserve penalties.

Saw someone online say they should completely forfeit their season; seems extreme to me, but I would definitely have a good laugh at that.

Worried about us having to play them twice though; rather not play the Tennessee SuperSpreaders twice and risk losing key players for two weeks

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

A forfeiture also punishes the bills.   No game checks for either team.  You think the NFLPA won't take that too federal court.   The Nfl would have to explain why the bills game was forfeited and the Steelers game wasn't.   Good luck.    I think the titans will lose draft picks.   No way they make them forfeit games

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why not just force them to play with the players that tested negative?

Because they could test positive still, putting. Bills players in jeopardy.

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

A forfeiture also punishes the bills.   No game checks for either team.  You think the NFLPA won't take that too federal court.   The Nfl would have to explain why the bills game was forfeited and the Steelers game wasn't.   Good luck.    I think the titans will lose draft picks.   No way they make them forfeit games

We shall see what happens tomorrow when they have more cases and game is off this weekend.

If the league wouldn't consider a forfeiture then it shouldn't of been placed in the memo.

Titans actions deserved to be punished to the fullest extent and more. 

Obviously the league doesn't want to have a forfeit, but what is one game when the season could be in jeopardy if things keep going the way they are going and there are .ore future outbreaks. Then teams lose multiple game checks.

An example needs to be made, they will figure out players pay if need be. 

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Because they could test positive still, putting. Bills players in jeopardy.

We shall see what happens tomorrow when they have more cases and game is off this weekend.

If the league wouldn't consider a forfeiture then it shouldn't of been placed in the memo.

Titans actions deserved to be punished to the fullest extent and more. 

Obviously the league doesn't want to have a forfeit, but what is one game when the season could be in jeopardy if things keep going the way they are going and there are .ore future outbreaks. Then teams lose multiple game checks.

An example needs to be made, they will figure out players pay if need be. 

Again,   they would be punishing the bills as well.    On top of that,   they already set the precedent of rescheduling a game .   Not gonna happen.   The NFLPA will fight it tooth and nail

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

The NFLPA will not allow players to not get paid.    If the game is forfeited, neither the titans or bills get paid.   Also,   would they also have to forfeit the Steelers game that had to be postponed?  Not to mention all the money the league will lose in not playing the game.     It won't happen

Sounds like the NFLPA isn’t too happy with this either. They may be all for severe punishments 

https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-nfl-nflpa-looking-into-unauthorized-workouts-involving-players

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Again,   they would be punishing the bills as well.    On top of that,   they already set the precedent of rescheduling a game .   Not gonna happen.   The NFLPA will fight it tooth and nail

I don’t know, flip over to espn. They talking about it now with one of the player association reps. Dude just said that the league and players agreed to all these terms and protocols and that if any were violated, then those involved deserved to be punished.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t know, flip over to espn. They talking about it now with one of the player association reps. Dude just said that the league and players agreed to all these terms and protocols and that if any were violated, then those involved deserved to be punished.

Players will not go without game checks.  The union will not go for that.   

4 hours ago, Myles said:

It'd be a bummer if they end up just not playing those 2 games and the NFL uses win% to place where teams are set.  Bills and Steelers are 2 tough games where the Titans chance is around 50/50.  

I find it a tad more than "convenient" that their games against these two teams in particular (combined 7 - 0) are the ones they're missing.

Hmmm....

Time for some good ol' conspiracy theories. Anybody got some?

3 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

If the Titans do forfeit, wouldn't this be the first time a team has forfeited in NFL history?

It would in fact be.

There was a game in 1921 that was ruled a cancellation though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_NFL_games#:~:text=There have been no forfeits,being played%2C the game is

There have been no forfeits in the league's history; a 1921 game between the Rochester Jeffersons and the Washington Senators is occasionally listed as a forfeit, but because of the lax cancellation rules of the time and uncertainty over which team (if either) was at fault for the game not being played, the game is listed in modern records as a cancellation.

Archived