Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans could face severe punishment

BProland85

On 10/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, jvan1973 said:

Why not just force them to play with the players that tested negative?

^^^THIS^^^

Make them use every last guy on their depth chart and practice squad.... and if need be.... sign however many street players they need to fill out the required gameday active roster.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:54 AM, danlhart87 said:

let's say Tuesday rolls around and the titans have several more cases and they postpone another game. what actions does the league take then cause Titans are playing Steelers their original bye week and can't have 2 bye weeks...

If they can't suit up a team they can forfeit the game. 

I guess they should have followed protocol? 

Here's the big problem with forfeits. And it's not about paying the players, either. That isn't anywhere close to being any kind of big deal to figure out. Yes, if a team put everyone else in danger through intentional disregard of the rules, I agree that they deserve to be given a loss.

But how does the other team deserve to be given a win? You see, THAT is the big issue here, and when you think about ALL of the teams affected by it, not just the two teams involved in the particular game, you then clearly realize how unfair forfeits really are, and just who they're really unfair to. I know when the whole picture finally hit me the other day, I went, "Whoa!!! That really isn't right."

And it has zero to do with the team forfeiting, either, in this case the Titans. Screw them. They deserve whatever they get. But do the Ravens, Clowns and possibly Bengals deserve their division rival to be automatically given a win for one of the tougher games on their schedule, when none of them is being given the same? Do any of the other AFC playoff teams at the end of the year deserve to lose a seeding, or worst of all, possibly a playoff spot altogether, to such a team for that reason?

So you see, yes, there's a BIG problem with forfeits.

7 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Here's the big problem with forfeits. And it's not about paying the players, either. That isn't anywhere close to being any kind of big deal to figure out. Yes, if a team put everyone else in danger through intentional disregard of the rules, I agree that they deserve to be given a loss.

But how does the other team deserve to be given a win? You see, THAT is the big issue here, and when you think about ALL of the teams affected by it, not just the two teams involved in the particular game, you then clearly realize how unfair forfeits really are, and just who they're really unfair to. I know when the whole picture finally hit me the other day, I went, "Whoa!!! That really isn't right."

And it has zero to do with the team forfeiting, either, in this case the Titans. Screw them. They deserve whatever they get. But do the Ravens, Clowns and possibly Bengals deserve their division rival to be automatically given a win for one of the tougher games on their schedule, when none of them is being given the same? Do any of the other AFC playoff teams at the end of the year deserve to lose a seeding, or worst of all, possibly a playoff spot altogether, to such a team for that reason?

Nothing in the NFL or life for that matter is fair.  

Every season there is a team or two who misses (or makes) the playoffs because of something that can be construed as unfair. 

So if the Titans can't field a team does the whole AFC need to accommodate them? I think it's going to be hard enough to get the games in as it stands. It's also too late to shuffle the schedules for 16 teams because of the Titans.  

I agree a forfeit is not good but if does happen, let the chips fall. If a team misses the playoffs chalk it up to they should have won more games. 

On a different note::: 

If you look at the NFL playoff setup is it fair that team with better records miss the playoffs because of the divisions and wild card setup? 

My point is let the cards fall where they fall. 

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well Titans facility has been shut down again after another positive test to staff.

Tuesdays gane is now in jeopardy of being postponed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/11/titans-shut-down-facility-again/

When the hell are the Titans going to have to forfeit a game? Tired of this stupid commish not doing his job. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

When the hell are the Titans going to have to forfeit a game? Tired of this stupid commish not doing his job. 

It's got to be a tough call.

I think if they were able to play this week, the forfeit could of been avoided(just heavy punished monetarily and picks). If it has to be postponed, I think the forfeit should be back in play.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

There needs to major changes as far as punishments go the Titans broke the rules and the league keeps giving them chances 

As far as I'm concerned, the Titans should have to forfeit their games against BOTH the Steelers and Bills right now, and if they have another game postponed due to the Corona that is their fault, they should lose a 1st round pick.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as I'm concerned, the Titans should have to forfeit their games against BOTH the Steelers and Bills right now, and if they have another game postponed due to the Corona that is their fault, they should lose a 1st round pick.

The league won't do forfeit sadly but a 1st they will 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with this. No reason the Steelers should have to endure the punishment of no bye week for the Titans actions.

I will say I think the Titans will be losing a 1st round pick regardless once punishment has been laid down.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

There needs to major changes as far as punishments go the Titans broke the rules and the league keeps giving them chances 

I don't think the league is giving them chances, I think they are just waiting for the dust to settle before laying down punishment.

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree with this. No reason the Steelers should have to endure the punishment of no bye week for the Titans actions.

I will say I think the Titans will be losing a 1st round pick regardless once punishment has been laid down.

I don't think the league is giving them chances, I think they are just waiting for the dust to settle before laying down punishment.

This is their 2nd game to be postponed if it happens again next week and the week after are they just gonna keep getting chances for all their players to be healthy?

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

This is their 2nd game to be postponed if it happens again next week and the week after are they just gonna keep getting chances for all their players to be healthy?

It technically hasnt been postponed yet.

Seems to be likely though.

I agree 100% it really isn't hurting the Titans at this point, just their opponents. 

Hopefully the league steps up and does the right thing. Make the Titans pay for their negligence and blatant disregard to directives.

The league isn't innocent in this though. They should of postponed the Chiefs/Patriots game last week to. Didn't give time for incubation period and then Gilmore test positive next day or 2. Which put Chiefs at risk and well now they have additional positive and are postponed this week.

I know Jason McCourty went in on the league and NFLPA about it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/10/jason-mccourty-questions-whether-nfl-nflpa-truly-care-about-player-health-in-pandemic/

Looks as if cancelling Broncos vs Dolphins game could be in the cards, as if NE and DEN is moved to next week.

Since neither team is a real playoff contender, cancelling game completely could be in the cards.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/11/if-nfl-moves-broncos-patriots-to-next-week-broncos-dolphins-is-in-jeopardy/

Things are ugly, and seem to be getting uglier by the day.

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Guaranteed Titans should lose 1st next year 

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Im thinking more than that.

I have a unique punishment for them if they don't forfeit any games.

Take away a 1st rounder in 2021, a 2nd rounder in 2022, and a 3rd rounder in 2023. That would be unpresidented punishment that wouldn't be a complete death blow to the Titans and would send a message.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have a unique punishment for them if they don't forfeit any games.

Take away a 1st rounder in 2021, a 2nd rounder in 2022, and a 3rd rounder in 2023. That would be unpresidented punishment that wouldn't be a complete death blow to the Titans and would send a message.

If no forfeit, I think it should be more harsh than that, tbh.

Maybe:

(2) 1st 2021+2023

(2) 3rds 2021+2022

?

That would get some attention.

The violations of protocals probably wouldn't of been so harsh, but with the players working out after being directly told not to, has to be dealt with a heavy hand.

Whole league is watching and the NFL will come off soft(not 1st time) if they slap them on the wrist. Which is what I feel the 1st, 2nd and 3rd you suggested would be.

Definitely still a harsh punishment, but for what's been done, seems like a slap on the wrist to me.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thanks. Have Derrick Henry in fantasy and was wondering about this in general.

Yeah 1 of my sons has Henry, the other has Josh Allen.

They are looking at potential disappointment for fantasy this week. My boy with Allen, has been worried about not having him this week since Thursday. He has Stafford backing him up, who is on a bye.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah 1 of my sons has Henry, the other has Josh Allen.

They are looking at potential disappointment for fantasy this week. My boy with Allen, has been worried about not having him this week since Thursday. He has Stafford backing him up, who is on a bye.

I managed to avoid having any Titans in my squad, but I do have the Bills D. Luckily my alternate D is the Colts D. I told everyone in my league that they were a sleeper pick for D, I guess so far I was right

3 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I managed to avoid having any Titans in my squad, but I do have the Bills D. Luckily my alternate D is the Colts D. I told everyone in my league that they were a sleeper pick for D, I guess so far I was right

I have Edwards-Helaire, Henry, Hunt, Joshua Kelley, Darrell Henderson, and James White.

White is out, and Henry may be out, so I'll probably end up using Helaire, Hunt, and Kelley in the Flex.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

At first I was not in favor of punishing anyone for Covid cause it could literally happen to any team. Now 2 weeks in though and the Titans still dont have their outbreak under control they have to be breaking the rules. Punish them hard.

Agreed. If it affects only your team, that's one thing. They are affecting multiple other teams though. Not only messing up games, but possibly putting players health at risk for being irresponsible. They need to lose multiple high draft picks.

In fact, I wouldn't mind laying down the guantlet on them and taking away their entire 2021 draft class with the added stipulation that they can't trade players or future picks to get back in the draft. Smack them hard and send a message.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. If it affects only your team, that's one thing. They are affecting multiple other teams though. Not only messing up games, but possibly putting players health at risk for being irresponsible. They need to lose multiple high draft picks.

In fact, I wouldn't mind laying down the guantlet on them and taking away their entire 2021 draft class with the added stipulation that they can't trade players or future picks to get back in the draft. Smack them hard and send a message.

As much disdain as I have for the Tennessee SuperSpreaders, I normally wouldn’t go that far in punishment. However, the thing that really sets me off is the lack of responsibility they take. No apologies for breaking protocol, and Tannehill seemed to blame the NFL for the fiasco when talking to the media, despite his role as the ringleader of sorts of the outside practice. The lack of accountability is the worst part of all.

12 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

I used to Wrestle in Highschool.  If a team's wrestler didn't make weight, got injured, or for whatever reason, could not take the mat, it was a forfeit and the win. As a competitor, if you can't at least make the playing field for reason XYZ, dang straight your opponent deserves the win because they still put in the effort and checked the boxes to at least show up. 

So now they won’t be punished at all? What a joke. Titans clearly didn’t fully follow protocol or else they wouldn’t have had that large of an outbreak. No other team has had near as many players and staff test positive.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/13/roger-goodell-titans-investigation-focused-on-safety-not-punishment/

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They do have to play tonight with no practice time. That is a little punishment.  The extra time has allowed brown to be ready to play tonight.

It’s hardly a punishment. They might actually show that they are rested up and play well because of it. 

Archived