Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Based On Pagano's Bio, Is It Safe To Expect The Secondary To Be The Most Improved?

chad72

I think the new scheme will help but I dont expect a 360 spin, I expect it to get better but we still need help in those positions better depth and more physical play if we accomplish that part Ill know were on the right track, if we cant do that then more changes need to happen

I think the new scheme will help but I dont expect a 360 spin, I expect it to get better but we still need help in those positions better depth and more physical play if we accomplish that part Ill know were on the right track, if we cant do that then more changes need to happen

Just a heads up a 360 spin we would be right back in the same bad secondary we had last season haha

With a whole new scheme being implemented I expect a lot to change. No more CB's 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 5 stuff for sure. I expect us, based on Pagano's history, to be more physical at the LOS with more man coverage on critical downs. We probably will see more Cover 3 than we have in the past and some more exotic blitz packages.

History says that, but our secondary personnel is not very good as it stands, so it's going to be one heck of a job to turn that into a decent secondary core. They need some high draft picks or signings to help Pagano.

I think they will significantly improve. I don't think Rucker and Thomas are bad players at all. With some intense coaching and knowledge they could be pretty solid + I assume we will draft a CB somewhere in the draft.

We all know how solid Powers can be as long as he's healthy. I personally thought he was better than Hayden and he can also play good vs the run.

Keep in mind a guy like Dungy was a defensive coach yet had the Manning offense. Brian Billick was an offensive guy yet built the Ravens defense. It all depends on the talent you have. I think our secondary will improve under Pagano but outside of Bethea, Powers, and Zibkowski we don't have a lot of great talent back there. Frankly we have some young guys who have shown some promise but look for the post part to be back ups or a third corner at best. Zibkowski and Powers are both really solid but frankly the only pro-bowler we have back there is Bethea.

Frankly I think you can tell by the moves the area that the Colts are the most concerned about improving and that's the o-line. Three of our off-season moves have been to get new linemen. I also think that's the right answer. I think Pagano is an old school type coach that feels games are won and lost starting up front on both sides of the ball and there is a reason that has been the school of thought in the NFL for so long. Normally if you win those two areas you are going to win most of the games you are in.

I'm convinced we'll draft 2, maybe 3 CBs. We've been active in free agency in every area of need besides CB.

2-3 DBs? What about the other positions haha. We don't need a complete overhaul of the defensive backfield. We probably will draft one and be fine with that. Drafting one DB we've given some attention to the backfield and added depth. While DB is important, we don't need to draft 2-3 when we have other needs to address as well.

I keep hearing about these other huge needs, but I don't see them. Maybe another body on the Oline, a TE, a WR, and a true NT. That still leaves room for 2 CBs in the draft. Pagano needs to get his guys back there since his style will rely on a lot of man-to-man.

I keep hearing about these other huge needs, but I don't see them. Maybe another body on the Oline, a TE, a WR, and a true NT. That still leaves room for 2 CBs in the draft. Pagano needs to get his guys back there since his style will rely on a lot of man-to-man.

Besides Eldridge there's nothing there at TE, We don't have much depth on the front 3 of the D-line in comparison to other teams, besides Wayne and Collie there really isn't someone who stands out at WR and it doesn't help to get more depth at other positions as well. If Pagano wanted to "get his guys back there" then we would've signed them through FA haha