Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL to add an anthem before the National Anthem

indyagent17

So, to not allow either political persuasion to have voice...

just announce the starting lineup and go from there.

I  mean honestly, most singers or groups abort the anthem so badly I usually mute it... not an issue with me.

Sports is competition to me, not political.  Appreciation of athletes and human beings.

Yay let’s divide the nation even more !!!!!  What is next, let’s have a separate black president and Congress and while we are at it let’s annex the northeast and call it new Africa and make two separate countries.

I cannot believe the insanity going on in this country. I feel like I’m living in a real life episode of South Park. It’s like we are living in a computer sim and once the matrix came out god or the programmer decided “ screw it they figured it out, no need to hide it anymore, I’m just going to have fun from here on out.”  Like someone else said , just not sing anything. Having two separate anthems isn’t the road I think this country should be heading down. It’s just another thing that we won’t have in common.   God help this country. 

23 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Yay let’s divide the nation even more !!!!!  What is next, let’s have a separate black president and Congress and while we are at it let’s annex the northeast and call it new Africa and make two separate countries.

I cannot believe the insanity going on in this country. I feel like I’m living in a real life episode of South Park. It’s like we are living in a computer sim and once the matrix came out god or the programmer decided “ screw it they figured it out, no need to hide it anymore, I’m just going to have fun from here on out.”  Like someone else said , just not sing anything. Having two separate anthems isn’t the road I think this country should be heading down. It’s just another thing that we won’t have in common.   God help this country. 

I'm going to say this one thing and not talk about it anymore. This is what the two-party system is about, to divide us rather than unite us. It's like a bet in Vegas, the government wants half the people on one side and half on another.

25 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The good old days in sports are over. It's time to cancel the NFL ticket and invest time and money into other less aggravating hobbies.

We will always have the glory years from 2003-2009, that 7 season stretch was priceless. We probably should've won more than 1 SB but oh well we got the 1 win in 2006 and 2 appearances + was 89-23 during the Regular Season. Back in those days players stayed out of politics for the most part, sports was a way to get your mind off of politics and other stuff going on in the world. I never heard guys like Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Dwight, Bob, Edge ever talk about politics.

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

If I read it correct though, I thought it said ot was only before week 1 games.?

The problem with this will be, someone will complain and ask why is it for just 1 week and not all 16 and some may make it a racial thing. I already see it coming. That is why I like my idea, just play the anthem while teams are still in the locker room so politics doesn't get involved at all. Once the anthem is over, teams come out and get introduced.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The problem with this will be, someone will complain and ask why is it for just 1 week and not all 16 and some may make it a racial thing. I already see it coming. That is why I like my idea, just play the anthem while teams are still in the locker room so politics doesn't get involved at all. Once the anthem is over, teams come out and get introduced.

I think this is an attempt to get players to stand for anthem week 1.

Players will see right through it, IMO.

They will stand for 1 and kneel for other.

Just now, w87r said:

I think this is an attempt to get players to stand for anthem week 1.

Players will see right through it, IMO.

They will stand for 1 and kneel for other.

If they are going to play 2 songs, they should do it for all 16 weeks, if not there is going to be problems with some players IMO. 

This whole thing is just nuts. Suppose next we will have to remove the flag from waving above the stadiums, off of helmets and jerseys. Anthem? Fine do away with it, although I cannot believe I said it. Make it 100% about football. Politics and division will be brought back in one way or another. 

The nfl is killing its brand. They also are thinking of putting names of people killed by police brutality on their helmets. Will there be any white ones.  I have no clue what they are thinking or doing. All of this is is just dividing us. They really are stupid and have no brains.  Top all of this off with Colin K tweeted yesterday they are in trouble by embracing all of this.

The NFL wants social justice to define it's brand. Half of the country who accepts the premise of systemic racism defining modern life (and largely thinks CTE should end the game of football) are happy that this is taking place. The other half should turn the NFL off now, parties over. They don't like you. They're calling you racist. They made Drew freaking Brees a bad guy for saying he's honoring his grandparents who fought and died in WW2. 

This, this is absurd. "Hey we can take a knee for the NATIONAL ANTHEM OF THE UNITED STATES, but let's stand for the Black National Anthem and anyone who notices or has a problem- let's call them the problem. 

I'm not overly surprised, but I'am ... I dunno what the right word is exactly. Bummed out that sports is nothing but cultural war now. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes NFL.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The NFL wants social justice to define it's brand. Half of the country who accepts the premise of systemic racism defining modern life (and largely thinks CTE should end the game of football) are happy that this is taking place. The other half should turn the NFL off now, parties over. They don't like you. They're calling you racist. They made Drew freaking Brees a bad guy for saying he's honoring his grandparents who fought and died in WW2. 

This, this is absurd. "Hey we can take a knee for the NATIONAL ANTHEM OF THE UNITED STATES, but let's stand for the Black National Anthem and anyone who notices or has a problem- let's call them the problem. 

I'm not overly surprised, but I'am ... I dunno what the right word is exactly. Bummed out that sports is nothing but cultural war now. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes NFL.

One reason why I have always said sports and politics don't belong together. They are 2 different separate things. If I want to follow politics I watch CNN or FOX news. Sports was a get away for most people in this country from things like politics, crime, and other bad things going on in the world. I could watch 12 hours of football 10, 20 years ago on Sunday and only think about football and nothing else which was great.

Having said that I have no problem with players speaking their mind about politics and inequality, I would just use a different platform like CNN news or in protests. I would not use the field or flag for it but that is just me. Drew Brees getting ridiculed is still ridiculous and then he had to apologize like 5 different times. He didn't even say nothing wrong.

4 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

This is what happens with a lack of acceptance and inclusion at the core of society. 
  Its also why there are 20 Mostly empty churches in every small town in America.  People can’t embrace diversity of ANY type.  Instead, they’d rather sit alone or with “clones” of themselves.  You’d think we’d outgrow this “playground” attitude.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The entire Colin K thing was supposed to not be about the flag but yesterday called the Fourth of July a white supremisist holiday. Yes it was about the flag. The nfl really doesn’t know yet how much they just killed themselves. Revenue with few of no fans now they are killing the tv ratings.  

There is racism and inequality going on in this world towards minorities. White people know this. Having said that it seems like the media is painting a picture that most white cops are racist and a lot of white people are too in general. That is far from the truth and as a white male that is growing very tiring reading that stuff everyday. I have no idea what the %'s are of white's as a whole being racist are in the US but I would say out of million's of white's, I would be surprised if the number was above 10%. Yeah 10% is still too many but not everyone is a good person, the good people can't control that. We have rotten eggs in this world. I personally do not know anyone that is racist and wouldn't be around anyone that was.

27 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

This is what happens with a lack of acceptance and inclusion at the core of society. 
  Its also why there are 20 Mostly empty churches in every small town in America.  People can’t embrace diversity of ANY type.  Instead, they’d rather sit alone or with “clones” of themselves.  You’d think we’d outgrow this “playground” attitude.

My church, which I’m about to head out to, is not only not empty...it’s quite full.  And in attendance today will be white people, black people, Asian people, Hispanic people, gay people, straight people, old people, young people, Democrats, Republicans, wealthy people, not-wealthy people.

It’s a Catholic Church, but there are always many non-Catholics who attend (you can tell by those who remain seated during Eucharist).

The only commonality will be a desire to worship God.

Maybe it’s different in your town.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

My church, which I’m about to head out to, is not only not empty...it’s quite full.  And in attendance today will be white people, black people, Asian people, Hispanic people, gay people, straight people, old people, young people, Democrats, Republicans, wealthy people, not-wealthy people.

It’s a Catholic Church, but there are always many non-Catholics who attend (you can tell by those who remain seated during Eucharist).

The only commonality will be a desire to worship God.

Maybe it’s different in your town.

Nice post, glad to hear that. All people should be treated equal, at least the good people should :thmup: no matter of race or beliefs.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice post, glad to hear that. All people should be treated equal, at least the good people should :thmup: no matter of race or beliefs.

A few years ago, a (white) gay couple inquired about sending their (black) son to our parochial grade school.  The principal — an old-school nun who had been in the job for 40 years — told them “Our motto is ‘All are welcome’...and that includes you and your son.  All that I ask is that you don’t seek to make it a spectacle.  If you or your son have any problems with other families, let me know and I’ll take care of it.”

As far as I know, there were no problems and the family was welcomed with open arms just like any other.

This, I think, is the norm.  And it’s not like we’re some uber-progressive church community, throwing social justice stuff in everybody’s faces.  We’re a very typical small-city Catholic Church.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

A few years ago, a (white) gay couple inquired about sending their (black) son to our parochial grade school.  The principal — an old-school nun who had been in the job for 40 years — told them “Our motto is ‘All are welcome’...and that includes you and your son.  All that I ask is that you don’t seek to make it a spectacle.  If you or your son have any problems with other families, let me know and I’ll take care of it.”

As far as I know, there were no problems and the family was welcomed with open arms just like any other.

This, I think, is the norm.  And it’s not like we’re some uber-progressive church community, throwing social justice stuff in everybody’s faces.  We’re a very typical small-city Catholic Church.

Yeah that is a nice story and glad it worked out. I am pretty fair minded myself and have nothing against any minorities or gays as long as they are good people. Political wise I am an independent (not repub or democrat), always have been and very open minded. Being open minded is needed in today's world that is for sure.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is a nice story and glad it worked out. I am pretty fair minded myself and have nothing against any minorities or gays as long as they are good people. Political wise I am an independent (not repub or democrat), always have been and very open minded. Being open minded is needed in today's world that is for sure.

To be honest, most people are inclined to be kind and friendly, I’d like to think that.

However, there’s an ugly systemic side that still needs to be addressed. It just needs to be done with a common sense approach without every suggestion and idea being played out in public evoking unnecessary emotions. For all that we know, none of these might be the finally agreed upon idea.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’m open to being convinced of that.  But I’ve yet to be convinced of it.

Not the right thread for it, go check out the numerous pages in the George Floyd thread. It’s not something that’s decided in one paragraph or one thread or even one day. But that thread should give you an idea at least of the reality that’s a divided America.

Archived