Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL to add an anthem before the National Anthem

indyagent17

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is racism and inequality going on in this world towards minorities. White people know this. Having said that it seems like the media is painting a picture that most white cops are racist and a lot of white people are too in general. That is far from the truth and as a white male that is growing very tiring reading that stuff everyday. I have no idea what the %'s are of white's as a whole being racist are in the US but I would say out of million's of white's, I would be surprised if the number was above 10%. Yeah 10% is still too many but not everyone is a good person, the good people can't control that. We have rotten eggs in this world. I personally do not know anyone that is racist and wouldn't be around anyone that was.

I live in a community that is quite diverse because of the Japanese ran companies and Cummins Inc that is quite large and global. About 5 years ago my neighbors moved and a black american family moved in. Slick talking car salesman. We are butting heads to this day. For instance, just 4 days ago on the lake he tried to tell me I needed to throw a deep crankbait instead of my dropshot. Challenge accepted! We caught our limit and had a fish fry. He gets so mad when i shoot free throws and call nothing but net playing HORSE on his goal lol. Our boys are no different. Tied at the hip. They will be in kindergarten together. Cant wait to stand at the bus stop with him first day of school. Instead of building a privacy fence, i built a bridge so its safer for our little ones to climb over. When im told that its not good enough to say im not racist, is nonsense. I dont just love my neighbor because im supposed to. I love him and his family because they are great people and 5 years later would do anything we can for each other. Our children will be the same.

13 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I live in a community that is quite diverse because of the Japanese ran companies and Cummins Inc that is quite large and global. About 5 years ago my neighbors moved and a black american family moved in. Slick talking car salesman. We are butting heads to this day. For instance, just 4 days ago on the lake he tried to tell me I needed to throw a deep crankbait instead of my dropshot. Challenge accepted! We caught our limit and had a fish fry. He gets so mad when i shoot free throws and call nothing but net playing HORSE on his goal lol. Our boys are no different. Tied at the hip. They will be in kindergarten together. Cant wait to stand at the bus stop with him first day of school. Instead of building a privacy fence, i built a bridge so its safer for our little ones to climb over. When im told that its not good enough to say im not racist, is nonsense. I dont just love my neighbor because im supposed to. I love him and his family because they are great people and 5 years later would do anything we can for each other. Our children will be the same.

Great stuff! I am 48 years old and live in a neighborhood that has several minorities as well. One of my neighbors is Hispanic and he is one of the best people I know. When he has a cookout he always comes over and asks me if I want any food or a beer, I do the same for him. I get along with everyone though or at least I try.

47 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

These players obviously take more pride in their race than being an American.

I hope you can say that to the guys who walk around with a shirt saying "Kiss me i'm Irish" every St. Patrick's Day. That statement has no basis in reality. 

Ask yourself... How would I feel to be constantly told you have been turned down for a promotion or just didn't get hired because of your race?  Just take time and think why their are people who feel this is wrong. If you can't see this check your heart and soul.

39 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Work hard, get trained in a job field, do well in school, and stay out of trouble. That’s what it takes to be successful in this country. Everyone has the same opportunity to do those things. If your going to play the victim you probably won’t succerd.

That’s sounds fine and dandy but we live in society where everyone deserves a participation trophy and if I don’t get my trophy you’re  just trying to oppress me.

Two thoughts on the anthem:

1. Stop playing it before games.  Football is entertainment, and they don't play the anthem before movies or concerts. 

2. If you're going to play an anthem, play "America the Beautiful". It should have been made our national anthem a long time ago.  It's a much better song, crowds love to sing it, and it's about our nation, and not just about its flag. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will always have the glory years from 2003-2009, that 7 season stretch was priceless. We probably should've won more than 1 SB but oh well we got the 1 win in 2006 and 2 appearances + was 89-23 during the Regular Season. Back in those days players stayed out of politics for the most part, sports was a way to get your mind off of politics and other stuff going on in the world. I never heard guys like Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, Dwight, Bob, Edge ever talk about politics.

I miss the days where sports were just about playing a game, watching an actor was about movies and where news reported the news not tried to simply steer the narrative. None of this is present today. It’s maddening!! 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The entire Colin K thing was supposed to not be about the flag but yesterday called the Fourth of July a white supremisist holiday. Yes it was about the flag. The nfl really doesn’t know yet how much they just killed themselves. Revenue with few of no fans now they are killing the tv ratings.  

It was always about white America. Period! Once backlash hit early, they wrapped it into a “its not disrespecting the flag and vets, it’s about evil police. nonsense! As for the revenue, I hope these bad evil white Americans stop attending, watching or buying the merchandise. We shall see if the little misbehaved children are stepping in and replacing these nfl pocketbooks with their government payments. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is racism and inequality going on in this world towards minorities. White people know this. Having said that it seems like the media is painting a picture that most white cops are racist and a lot of white people are too in general. That is far from the truth and as a white male that is growing very tiring reading that stuff everyday. I have no idea what the %'s are of white's as a whole being racist are in the US but I would say out of million's of white's, I would be surprised if the number was above 10%. Yeah 10% is still too many but not everyone is a good person, the good people can't control that. We have rotten eggs in this world. I personally do not know anyone that is racist and wouldn't be around anyone that was.

I’m not naive enough to believe that racism doesn’t exist in the world and certainly in our country but what angers me is not once, not one time since any of this mess, has any media or talking head ever brought up the question of is their any reverse racism occurring. Maybe I’m wrong and every black man or Asian or Indian or (insert race) only has love for white Americans. 

i have and will always place my opinion of people based on how they act and treat me and those around me rather than choose based on their color. Many of the issues that is being railed against White Americans currently is being reverse engineered. Insane! 

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

My church, which I’m about to head out to, is not only not empty...it’s quite full.  And in attendance today will be white people, black people, Asian people, Hispanic people, gay people, straight people, old people, young people, Democrats, Republicans, wealthy people, not-wealthy people.

It’s a Catholic Church, but there are always many non-Catholics who attend (you can tell by those who remain seated during Eucharist).

The only commonality will be a desire to worship God.

Maybe it’s different in your town.

That is not the norm.

Be safe, a church is the last place I would be going right now.  

well, maybe not the last... but still.

17 minutes ago, Introspect said:

I hope you can say that to the guys who walk around with a shirt saying "Kiss me i'm Irish" every St. Patrick's Day. That statement has no basis in reality. 

Ask yourself... How would I feel to be constantly told you have been turned down for a promotion or just didn't get hired because of your race?  Just take time and think why their are people who feel this is wrong. If you can't see this check your heart and soul.

That is discrimination if you can prove that has really happened to you. Luckily where I work at we do not tolerate discrimination. Being a white male I have never had white privilege either. We have 60 employees where I work at and have 6 managers and 6 supervisors in different departments in total as we run 24/7 = 12 total. 5 are black, 1 is Hispanic, and 6 are white. That isn't a bad ratio. We have 4 maintenance guys and they make big money, 2 are black and 2 are white. Our HR person is black too. I have worked at the same job for over 20 years by the way, I am a supervisor but I have a degree and have worked long enough to earn that position. It took me 5 years on the job before I got the spot I have.

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I miss the days where sports were just about playing a game, watching an actor was about movies and where news reported the news not tried to simply steer the narrative. None of this is present today. It’s maddening!! 

It was always about white America. Period! Once backlash hit early, they wrapped it into a “its not disrespecting the flag and vets, it’s about evil police. nonsense! As for the revenue, I hope these bad evil white Americans stop attending, watching or buying the merchandise. We shall see if the little misbehaved children are stepping in and replacing these nfl pocketbooks with their government payments. 

I’m not naive enough to believe that racism doesn’t exist in the world and certainly in our country but what angers me is not once, not one time since any of this mess, has any media or talking head ever brought up the question of is their any reverse racism occurring. Maybe I’m wrong and every black man or Asian or Indian or (insert race) only has love for white Americans. 

i have and will always place my opinion of people based on how they act and treat me and those around me rather than choose based on their color. Many of the issues that is being railed against White Americans currently is being reverse engineered. Insane! 

There is definitely reverse racism too but yeah it isn't brought up much.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And playing a “black national anthem” is just gonna stroke that even more. As someone is who is half black, ive never even heard of such a thing until this

My new Anthem... Let me know if you like it

Sung in the tune of America the beautiful

Oh Cha-Ha-Had, Oh Cha-Ha-Had

Oh Cha-Ha-Had Kell-EEE

Oh Cha-Ha-Had, It makes me sad

That the Colts haven't released Jay-Beeeee

Sorry guys and girls.. Had to do it. Just to lighten the mood a bit. Let's hope this doesn't divide us, but unite us in laughter!!

:applause::funny::rock::lol::goodluck::thmup:

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

My new Anthem... Let me know if you like it

Sung in the tune of America the beautiful

Oh Cha-Ha-Had, Oh Cha-Ha-Had

Oh Cha-Ha-Had Kell-EEE

Oh Cha-Ha-Had, It makes me sad

That the Colts haven't released Jay-Beeeee

Sorry guys and girls.. Had to do it. Just to lighten the mood a bit. Let's hope this doesn't divide us, but unite us in laughter!!

:applause::funny::rock::lol::goodluck::thmup:

JB probably isn't laughing lmao 

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There isnt  anything thats "reverse racism" its all just racism.  Many black people are racist just like every other race.

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

Someone you know has actually been told they lost a promotion or weren’t hired because of their race?  Sorry, not buying it.

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

Why do you have to single out the Irish? I’m in Boston and it’s pretty well documented the struggles they’ve had here in getting denied work based on their ethnicity.  

I know you will say I missed your point but  sometimes we are being racist and don’t even realize it.   Just saying.  

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, Charles Barkley has talked about it, it’s a real thing too. It boils down to respect and trust being established with time, without divisive steps taken, one of which is this “alternative anthem”. If I’m calling out divisive words from the POTUS, it’s only fair I call this idea divisive as well, I’ll leave it at that.

29 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Why do you have to single out the Irish? I’m in Boston and it’s pretty well documented the struggles they’ve had here in getting denied work based on their ethnicity.  

I know you will say I missed your point but  sometimes we are being racist and don’t even realize it.   Just saying.  

Yep, wasn’t there a movie where Brendan Fraser starred in about anti-Semitism? I am certain Anti-Semitic opinions still exist today.

We’re all flawed and have to learn to overcome several biases in life as we grow older. 25 years ago, when I moved to this country, I had the same view of Blacks as some people here, as a person of color without knowing any better.

I now know the truth is in the middle but am exhausted trying to convince people to meet in the middle, to be honest, it’s always a yeah but.., conversation with people stuck on the extremes with the narratives they grew up with or are unaware of the holes in them. When I became a US citizen, I remember my co-worker telling me you get the good with the bad history of the US as a new citizen and am realizing he is right. :) 

35 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Reverse racism is no racism....Just saying

And when you get that solved on all sides, well, it’s just not realistic to think you can fix that across the board. Bad people are just bad people. Much like the gun debate, guns kill not people or vise versa, people are racist because they are simply terrible people inside, you can’t fix bad people imho. 

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Not...  But I am willing to look at my OWN interactions and see if I can be better as a person. I hope others on this forum can do the same.It is NOT an easy task to feel what another individual is feeling but it CAN be done. 

Thanks for saying.

I bring up the injustice that the Irish immigrants suffered when originally coming to america. I could have talked about the internment of the Asians in this country, the Italian discrimination or Hispanic downgrading . Just wanted to not bring up every ingredient of our Melting Pot. 

The Irish were looked at being lesser people due to their lineage.  So did the others individuals that I mentioned.  This is why I bring this up.

We should all see that downgrading individuals due to their ethnicity is wrong. You understand this. Just trying to get people to see that injustice can effect ALL people. This country can be better. Let's just give EVERYONE a fair shake. 

Just saying.

20 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

And when you get that solved on all sides, well, it’s just not realistic to think you can fix that across the board. Bad people are just bad people. Much like the gun debate, guns kill not people or vise versa, people are racist because they are simply terrible people inside, you can’t fix bad people imho. 

At the same time, not everything that happens, good or bad, to someone is due to racism either. For the very reasons you mention. 

are there racist people yes, does that make everyone a racist, no. Should we attack people just because they are are different color, no. Should we point a finger at someone and claim they have some sort of privilege due to their skin color, no. 

i, as I’m sure most of you do, have friends of just about every creed and color there is on earth. Some are very successful, others, not so much, depending on how you define “successful” and for that matter, rich. There’s no color pattern involved. The successful people have one thing in common, they generally at one point or another in their lives busted their butts for a while to get where they are. My friends who are living off government support, they expect someone else to make something happen to enrich their lives. They’re not bad people, just a bit misguided I think. I don’t call it lazy, I call it unmotivated and unwilling to take responsibility. And that applies to every race, color or greed. 

Want something out of this life, then make it happen. I grew up in the streets of Chicago, a mixed race kid. I got the crap from all sides because of that. But I got out, joined the Army, dumped everything I could into my education, never got a grant or scholarship outside of what the Army would cover, which was about half. Now, I’m no longer active duty, got my Masters degree from a top 30 school and am finally starting to see some of the fruits of all that work. It sure wasn’t easy and it sucked. But I’m not like many of the kids I ran with back then. Most of them are dead, the rest are either in prison or have been. 

life is full of choices and consequences, we can either let race and racism hold us back, or we can kick it in the nuts, and rise above it. 

adding a separate “black anthem”, does exactly the opposite and sets us back 70 years. And anyone championing it and acting like it’s a good thing, is part of the problem. We are all either equal Americans, no matter color or creed, under the same flag, colors and anthems, or we are not. We can’t scream, protest and riot for equality if we’re not going to act as equals ourselves 

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

People will turn the channels off across the nation if one anthem FOR ALL isn't enough!

I was hoping football would be a diversion from all this chaos. I find myself now rooting for the virus to shut down pro football , baseball and basketball for at least 2020.. 

27 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I was hoping football would be a diversion from all this chaos. I find myself now rooting for the virus to shut down pro football , baseball and basketball for at least 2020.. 

Tough times we are living in. I want sports back despite everything that is going on. Sports has been my life for 42 years since I was 6 years old. I have loved Football, Basketball, and Baseball since I can remember. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Work hard, get trained in a job field, do well in school, and stay out of trouble. That’s what it takes to be successful in this country. Everyone has the same opportunity to do those things. If your going to play the victim you probably won’t succerd.

To PLAY a victim means this is a game. This is not a game for people to be given a chance at life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Certain groups have been VICTIMIZED. And this is a tragic fact. 

Many people check those boxes of working hard, doing well in school and staying out of trouble but when they apply for the jobs or just want an equal chance, it just doesn't happen.

You hit the nail on the head. Opportunity needs to be the same but sadly this is not happening. This has happened with different ethnic groups, genders or sexual persuasions.

Just think about the fact the NFL realized they had an issue back in 2003. The Rooney Rule was put in place to let the organizations making decisions to at least TALK to an individual who may not be of the same background or persuasion. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tough times we are living in. I want sports back despite everything that is going on. Sports has been my life for 42 years since I was 6 years old. I have loved Football, Basketball, and Baseball since I can remember. 

I have known nothing but sports and it also allowed me to be “normal”

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

At the same time, not everything that happens, good or bad, to someone is due to racism either. For the very reasons you mention. 

are there racist people yes, does that make everyone a racist, no. Should we attack people just because they are are different color, no. Should we point a finger at someone and claim they have some sort of privilege due to their skin color, no. 

i, as I’m sure most of you do, have friends of just about every creed and color there is on earth. Some are very successful, others, not so much, depending on how you define “successful” and for that matter, rich. There’s no color pattern involved. The successful people have one thing in common, they generally at one point or another in their lives busted their butts for a while to get where they are. My friends who are living off government support, they expect someone else to make something happen to enrich their lives. They’re not bad people, just a bit misguided I think. I don’t call it lazy, I call it unmotivated and unwilling to take responsibility. And that applies to every race, color or greed. 

Want something out of this life, then make it happen. I grew up in the streets of Chicago, a mixed race kid. I got the crap from all sides because of that. But I got out, joined the Army, dumped everything I could into my education, never got a grant or scholarship outside of what the Army would cover, which was about half. Now, I’m no longer active duty, got my Masters degree from a top 30 school and am finally starting to see some of the fruits of all that work. It sure wasn’t easy and it sucked. But I’m not like many of the kids I ran with back then. Most of them are dead, the rest are either in prison or have been. 

life is full of choices and consequences, we can either let race and racism hold us back, or we can kick it in the nuts, and rise above it. 

adding a separate “black anthem”, does exactly the opposite and sets us back 70 years. And anyone championing it and acting like it’s a good thing, is part of the problem. We are all either equal Americans, no matter color or creed, under the same flag, colors and anthems, or we are not. We can’t scream, protest and riot for equality if we’re not going to act as equals ourselves 

I am not sure what pre-dispositions people may have about you as a poster but this post of yours deserves a lot of likes!!! :thmup:

46 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Not...  But I am willing to look at my OWN interactions and see if I can be better as a person. I hope others on this forum can do the same.It is NOT an easy task to feel what another individual is feeling but it CAN be done. 

Thanks for saying.

I bring up the injustice that the Irish immigrants suffered when originally coming to america. I could have talked about the internment of the Asians in this country, the Italian discrimination or Hispanic downgrading . Just wanted to not bring up every ingredient of our Melting Pot. 

The Irish were looked at being lesser people due to their lineage.  So did the others individuals that I mentioned.  This is why I bring this up.

We should all see that downgrading individuals due to their ethnicity is wrong. You understand this. Just trying to get people to see that injustice can effect ALL people. This country can be better. Let's just give EVERYONE a fair shake. 

Just saying.

Have Asians gotten a fair shake in America?  There aren’t many racial demographics who do better than they do here.

If you really want to dig down into the problem and face it for what it is, it’s a discussion that would probably have to go to places a lot of people don’t want to go.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have known nothing but sports and it also allowed me to be “normal”

Sports kept me level headed as a teenager and out of trouble. I had friends up to no good at times, you know how teens are but I focused on sports and keeping my body in shape back then. Sports also taught me to respect my elders when I was young, it disciplined me.

9 minutes ago, Introspect said:

The Rooney Rule was put in place to let the organizations making decisions to at least TALK to an individual who may not be of the same background or persuasion. 

So prior to the Rooney Rule, NFL teams weren’t allowed to consider or even talk to prospective coaches of certain races?

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Have Asians gotten a fair shake in America?  There aren’t many racial demographics who do better than they do here.

If you really want to dig down into the problem and face it for what it is, it’s a discussion that would probably have to go to places a lot of people don’t want to go.

This is why I asked you to go to the GF thread but since you brought up this very topic, I had posted an article to typical questions brought up in relation to racial discrimination, one of which is the bolded one above.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/19/the-real-secret-to-asian-american-success-was-not-education/

• Nadine locked this topic

Archived