Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard "It's got to be more than that"

Rackeen305

“I can’t sit here and remain silent, because that’s exactly what we’ve done every time our black community screams and yells for help,” Ballard said. "We have to end social injustice and racial inequality. We have to end the police violence against our black communities. Black lives matter. I don’t understand why that’s so freaking hard for the white community to say. Black lives matter.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/06/04/colts-gm-chris-ballard-admits-hes-been-ignorant-racism-black-lives-matter/3143666001/

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2020/06/04/chris-ballard-we-cant-go-back-into-our-bubble/3143599001/

Ballard admitted that he’s been naïve, that he didn’t fully realize the everyday racism experienced by the black players and coaches and friends in his life, and that he has made some mistakes, including that he didn’t listen enough to former Colts safety Darius Butler in 2017 when a dozen Colts kneeled during the national anthem before a game against the Cleveland Browns.

Honestly, beyond football acumen. Chris Ballard is one of the greatest General Managers in sports.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Since I live “out of the market” I don’t always get to see these articles so I like it

Now its all over ESPN.

Had anyone listened to CB. He spoke (hypothetically) and ask "What kind of county we live in where.. "A black man and his family going into a restaurant. And they get second looks"

That really hit home for myself and many of my friends, family all over the south. I can truly relate Chris Ballard. God Bless you and your family! And this Colts organization. Mr. Jim Irsey as well for great hires.

Good for Ballard saying what other Executives and owners are afraid to say. Admitting that he was ignorant up until 10 days ago is not easy. If we all think back to 2016, about 95% of us, including myself, were against Kaepernick kneeling. Realizing we were wrong is the first step in making progress. Glad we have a good leader that is respected in the locker room and around the league. 

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

“I can’t sit here and remain silent, because that’s exactly what we’ve done every time our black community screams and yells for help,” Ballard said. "We have to end social injustice and racial inequality. We have to end the police violence against our black communities. Black lives matter. I don’t understand why that’s so freaking hard for the white community to say. Black lives matter.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/06/04/colts-gm-chris-ballard-admits-hes-been-ignorant-racism-black-lives-matter/3143666001/

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/nfl/colts/colts-insider/2020/06/04/chris-ballard-we-cant-go-back-into-our-bubble/3143599001/

Ballard admitted that he’s been naïve, that he didn’t fully realize the everyday racism experienced by the black players and coaches and friends in his life, and that he has made some mistakes, including that he didn’t listen enough to former Colts safety Darius Butler in 2017 when a dozen Colts kneeled during the national anthem before a game against the Cleveland Browns.

Honestly, beyond football acumen. Chris Ballard is one of the greatest General Managers in sports.

I respect Chris Ballard even more than I did before for acknowledging that he did not listen back in 2017 to the message that Kap and other players tried to peacefully convey. It takes a special strength to admit he was wrong and to then take action to address it.  

I remember players expressing support for Black Lives matter being vilified by some posters here. They made it about the flag to avoid seeing the underlying true cause of their protest. No matter how many times we explained that kneeling was suggested to Kap by a U.S war veteran as a respectful way to protest, many still refused to listen.  GMs across the league black balled Kap because he took a stand for something that they did not understand or felt they could not identify with or relate to.  To them it was not worth it to deal with the blow back or repercussions of siding with these players.   Time has shown that Kap and the others were on the right side of history.  The NFL execs, team owners, and those posters were on the wrong side.  Thank you Chris Ballard for being courageous today.  As he showed...just because you were on the wrong side of history it doesn’t mean that you have to stay there.  Join with us now.  We need as many good people of all races as possible to help effectuate positive change.  Thank you to the Colts fans that I have seen use their voice on this forum for this purpose.

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Not just in todays sports BUT ALLTIME. 

I think Ballard speaks for a lot of people, including myself, who didnt take the injustices seriously. It is easy to find a reason to believe that the black community is lying to us. 

George Floyd changed my mind. I'm sorry it was too late for me to change my mind sooner. Maybe it would have changed things. 

You guys, we can unite behind this cause. A stronger community is a stronger America. Let's do this! 

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Very happy, CB and FR are true leaders.

Not afraid to admit when they are wrong and stand for what is right.

It can be difficult for a man to reflect and see that he can see things in a different light. I am so proud to be a supporter of this team. Good, strong men. 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think Ballard speaks for a lot of people, including myself, who didnt take the injustices seriously. It is easy to find a reason to believe that the black community is lying to us. 

George Floyd changed my mind. I'm sorry it was too late for me to change my mind sooner. Maybe it would have changed things. 

You guys, we can unite behind this cause. A stronger community is a stronger America. Let's do this! 

Your reflection and insight say a great deal about your character my man. Glad you a fan of the Shoe like me. We will do this! 

11 minutes ago, MTC said:

Ballard is a great representation for the horseshoe. A vocal leader that is supportive, honest, and adaptable to change. Very admirable.

Full video...

8 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Chris Ballard showed another side. Remarkable. Full video here.

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Heckuva post!   Very well thought out and written!   Really a please to read!   Thanks so much!    :thmup:

:colts:

• Nadine locked this topic

Archived