Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done

EastStreet

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing with Rivers is, he is a warrior. He makes mistakes, and then comes back to make plays. When given protection, he can stretch the field. It is a little bit like Elway taking a chance on Peyton though for different reasons but if we can get the right free agents to go with it, we can make a run.

Our division is ripe for the picking with Hopkins out of Houston, and the Titans still being a high floor, limited ceiling team, IMO. Jaguars, we just have to find a way to not split with them, even in the best of years. It is a chance we are taking, and I hope Rivers' last year was more an outlier than the norm.

Just now, BProland85 said:

Hoping his average is 25 mil or less per year, considering Brees just signed for 25 mil per year for 2 years. 

Most likely 2 years $45 mil. or something like that with incentives added to make it $45 mil., and you are right, Brees' contract did help accelerate negotiations.

I am going to take credit for calling this one....a long time ago. It was imperative to flip the QB room next season...and this is a huge step toward that.

Assuming they trade JB (unless Rivers is playing for free...they aren't carrying both of those cap hits)...it will be interesting to see how they approach the backup QB situation. My guess is they will just let the draft come to them...and either get aggressive if someone like Love or Herbert is within striking distance or (more likely) look for a later round developmental guy to compete with Kelly (someone like Morgan)...and then reassess next offseason.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If true, a certain fan club gonna be like

tenor.gif

bonus points for the shamrock on st p's day lol

I think there are several...not in the JB fan club...who don't want Rivers. But they are in the Ballard fan club...so they won't bash it once it becomes official.

5 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Completely agree, we do not need a washed up Rivers.

Looking at the options, this is the best QB available. Unless you wanted to trade for Cam Newton or Andy Dalton. 

I like how the folks who are super excited about trading a high 1st round pick aren't excited about pairing that move with a QB who's actually able to throw the ball and complete it to receivers. I don't think this is SB contention move (but maybe), but it's going to be a much more competitive upcoming season than it would have been with JB- not to keep banging that drum, but that's what's going on here. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If true, a certain fan club gonna be like

tenor.gif

bonus points for the shamrock on st p's day lol

I absolutely hope this is not the case. Would rather have Teddy B instead of a washed up Rivers. A few weeks back, There was a thread that Teddy B would command over $20 Mill. WOuldn't anyone pay Teddy Bridgewater 2year/46+Mill (27 years old). 

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think there are several...not in the JB fan club...who don't want Rivers. But they are in the Ballard fan club...so they won't bash it once it becomes official.

I think the majority will be happy. Out of all the options, this one is pretty decent, and a clear upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I absolutely hope this is not the case. Would rather have Teddy B instead of a washed up Rivers. A few weeks back, There was a thread that Teddy B would command over $20 Mill. WOuldn't anyone pay Teddy Bridgewater 2year/46+Mill (27 years old). 

So assuming he lands here, what type of numbers does he need to put up to make you happy.

Fill in the blank.

YPG:

Completion%:

TD:

INT:

QBR:

AVG:

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Teddy Bridgewater???? 

spider man lol GIF

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

he threw 4600 yards last year thats not washed up.  Luck only passed that number once, and PR was behind a bad line

Let's not just scout the stat sheet. He had a rough season last year. Look at his 4th quarter numbers, his play under pressure, etc. Fourth quarter, trailing by less than 8 points, he was 52%, 6 yards/attempt, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 58.6 passer rating. This is way worse than 2018.

He was terrible under pressure, which is concerning because he's the least mobile QB in the NFL. 

And I'm not convinced that the guy who was pretty good at 37 years old, then struggled at 38, is suddenly going to be rejuvenated at 39. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/situationalstats

It looks like we're signing him, so I hope he's fantastic for us, but I'm skeptical about his ability to get back to playing efficient, winning football. I understand the draw, and I will understand the signing, assuming it happens, but I'm still not sure it's going to be the shot in the arm we all hope it will be... for Rivers or for the Colts.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think the majority will be happy. Out of all the options, this one is pretty decent, and a clear upgrade.

I agree. I might feel differently if he was coming off his 2nd bad season in a row. But he was a legit Pro Bowler in '17 and '18. IF the Colts got 2018 Rivers...they might be playing in late January next year. It's worth a roll of the dice.

Not to mention the connections to the staff are huge in this case...I think they want as seamless of a transition as possible...and Rivers can provide that.

3 minutes ago, rayski said:

I've been openly criticising him forever. Most useless signing imo. Didn't think CB would be up for this.

I agree with you. Thanks for the video. It shows Rivers being Rivers. Im not sure what ANY Colts fan likes about Rivers. Have they watched in Chargers games last year (2019)? Nope and they like that? You think thats Mahomes, Russell, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Jackson, Josh Allen, Rothlisberger etc quality?

5 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Teddy Bridgewater???? 

spider man lol GIF

Teddy Bridgewater (5-0) had a better record than Rivers..... And he's 27 years old buddy. Has started for 2 NFL teams and was successful. Whats funny?

Let me school you for a sec. What career similarities does Bridgewater and Drew Brees have in common?

Brees landed in NO because of getting hurt in LA. 

Bridgewater landed in NO because of getter hurt in MINN.

Both were successful prior and during their time at NO.

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I agree with you. Thanks for the video. It shows Rivers being Rivers. Im not sure what ANY Colts fan likes about Rivers. Have they watched in Chargers games last year (2019)? Nope and they like that? You think thats Mahomes, Russell, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Jackson, Josh Allen, Rothlisberger etc quality?

Colts don’t expect him to be a Mahomes. And some of them names..lol. Allen has been blah. Rodgers was more of a game manager with that new offense last year. No one is like Jackson. Bottom line is he’s an upgrade as to what we currently have. 

Ballard wants more friction. This will do that. Rivers will be well respected because of his good career and players will listen.  Now we just wait and see if Ballard goes after the future QB in the draft. Looks like dominos are falling where a couple teams might not take a QB in the top ten which could make a QB fall and allow us to move back into the first. He might like s guy like Eason or Gordon just as much as Herbert and Love to get them later.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Let's not just scout the stat sheet. He had a rough season last year. Look at his 4th quarter numbers, his play under pressure, etc. Fourth quarter, trailing by less than 8 points, he was 52%, 6 yards/attempt, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 58.6 passer rating. This is way worse than 2018.

He was terrible under pressure, which is concerning because he's the least mobile QB in the NFL. 

And I'm not convinced that the guy who was pretty good at 37 years old, then struggled at 38, is suddenly going to be rejuvenated at 39. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/philiprivers/2506121/situationalstats

It looks like we're signing him, so I hope he's fantastic for us, but I'm skeptical about his ability to get back to playing efficient, winning football. I understand the draw, and I will understand the signing, assuming it happens, but I'm still not sure it's going to be the shot in the arm we all hope it will be... for Rivers or for the Colts.

I am not convinced either...but I do think it's worth the roll of the dice here (assuming they don't want another guy like Winston). Other QBs have found success late in their careers on different teams (Favre, Warner). Obviously, not all situations and players are the same...but I think Rivers can do it as well.

I have been very adamant about bringing in a vet upgrade...which (at the very least) I think Rivers is. How much...we just don't know yet. But at the very least...it should be entertaining.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Teddy Bridgewater (5-0) had a better record than Rivers..... And he's 27 years old buddy. Has started for 2 NFL teams and was successful. Whats funny?

The reason they are not looking at a guy like him is they are probably looking at s guy in the draft so don’t want anyone long term. We need a QB who can start on a rookie contract for a few years with all the high priced guys we have to sign.

2 minutes ago, ThinBlueLineColts said:

Colts don’t expect him to be a Mahomes. And some of them names..lol. Allen has been blah. Rodgers was more of a game manager with that new offense last year. No one is like Jackson. Bottom line is he’s an upgrade as to what we currently have. 

How many Chargers games have you even glimpsed at last year? The guy was 5-11 LAST YEAR. And he's an upgrade? I "Got it" now. lol

Archived