Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I like Claypool

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would like to see us get a fast big target like him. 6'4 230lb 4.49 40. We need a redzone target. Im tired of always drafting TY 2.0 types. Aka Campbell

You think Parris Campbell is TY Hilton 2.0?    Based on what?

Hilton is 5’10” 180-ish

Campbell is 6’0”. 205

Does this seem similar?

And who else fits that drafting pattern?  You said “always drafting TY types”???

Both Cain and Fountain are about 6’2” and 200-205. 

So, who are you talking about? 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hilton is 5’10” 180-ish

Campbell is 6’0”. 205

Does this seem similar?

And who else fits that drafting pattern?  You said “always drafting TY types”???

Fair points, I guess Im off. But we never seem to have a bigger possession type that stays healthy. Wayne was our last good possession WR. But I want a bigger guy is all. We just seemed to have relatively small wideouts starting last year. I know injuries were a factor.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hilton is 5’10” 180-ish

Campbell is 6’0”. 205

Does this seem similar?

I still consider Campbell a small speed type.

15 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Fair points, I guess Im off. But we never seem to have a bigger possession type that stays healthy. Wayne was our last good possession WR. But I want a bigger guy is all. We just seemed to have relatively small wideouts starting last year. I know injuries were a factor.

For what it’s worth...    Wayne was about 6’0” and 200. 

As for Campbell, perhaps you’re commenting on his style of play, rather than his size.   And that’s fair.  But Reich believes Parris is going to get much better in a variety of patterns as he gains more experience.  Ohio State used him in a very limited roll.

Remember,  we thought we had the size receiver addressed really well last year.  We had Funchess who got hurt in the first game of the season and Ebron whose play fell off dramatically last year.  

I would not be surprised to see Ballard do just what you want.   Draft a receiver with some size this year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...    Wayne was about 6’0” and 200. 

As for Campbell, perhaps you’re commenting on his style if play, rather than his size.   And that’s fair.  But Reich believes Parris is going to get much better in a variety of patterns as he gains more experience.  Ohio State used him in a very limited roll.

Remember,  we thought we had the size receiver addressed really well last year.  We had a Funchess who got hurt in the first game of the season and Ebron whose play fell off dramatically last year.  

I would not be surprised to see Ballard do just what you want.   Draft a receiver with some size this year.  

I hope he comes back strong, he believe Riech is the right coach to utilize his unique skill set.

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I hope he comes back strong, he believe Riech is the right coach to utilize his unique skill set.

I like Funchess, but I don’t love him.

My fear is that since he broke his collarbone in about 5 different places, the team docs will say Funchess is likely to suffer a similar injury.   And that may limit what we offer.   This could mean the end of Devin in Indy.   Hope not.  But that’s my concern about him returning.   

48 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

You weren't off.

Campbell is very much like TY. Both speed guys 6-0 or smaller. Both are inside/outside guys with 4.3s speed who fit the Z/small slot mold. Reich and Ballard both mentioned early that they wanted to start PC out inside and gradually work him outside. That puts him squarely in the Z bucket like TY.

Zs are typically fast (4.4s or faster) and 6-2 or smaller. Xs are typically 6-2 or bigger, and 4.4s or slower. Slots can be any size (speed or possession). 

Cain was 6-1 and 4.4s, and was seen as a Z or speed X (one trick pony X). The Colts used him as both Z and deep threat X, and even possession X a bit when Funch went down. He was thrown all over the place which probably added to his development challenges.

Fountain is 6-1 and 4.4s and probably falls into the bucket that TY and PC are in. 

Funch is a TE lite possession X, and Pascal is a "true X" I guess, but limited.

There are exceptions to all the size/speed ranges when it comes to positions, but what I listed is pretty accurate if you look at most rosters. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I like him too I also like Pittman Jr. from USC even though he isn't as fast as Claypool.

I don't like Pittman because he's from USC lol, but I like him as a WR. I think he's probably more polished than Claypool at this point, but a lower overall ceiling. While Claypool is fast, he's beenf a long strider, or at least has been on the field. His 40 though makes me think he's got a lot more burst than he showed on the field, and can improve with some technique work getting off the line. But yes, I'd be happy with Pittman in the later rounds.

I think I just fell in love with Denzel Mims all over again (as SB practices start to fade from memory).  6’3”, 208, 4.38 forty, 6.66 3cone!!!!, 38.5 vert, 10’11” broad!, 33 7/8” arms.  If he makes it to #34, I couldn’t resist...

A9A05F46-526F-4D78-AF04-78A5D2CA9C10.jpeg

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Running a 4.42 at 6-4 and 238lbs is simply obscene. His draft stock is about to rise in a big way.

He would be a good replacement for both Ebron and Funchess. 

Wow did Claypool really run a 4.42? Saquan Barkley ran a 4.40 while at 6'  230 lbs. If Claypool's tape check out, he may be worth a closer look. Perhaps 2-3 round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Wow did Claypool really run a 4.42? Saquan Barkley ran a 4.40 while at 6'  230 lbs. If Claypool's tape check out, he may be worth a closer look. Perhaps 2-3 round.

Most of the talking heads are now saying end of the first to mid second. 

I still think it's more likely mid second or third. I love the guy as an ND fan, but I think teams will settle down from the hype, and likely pick guys with more production last year. But a team or GM may very well fall in love. The size and speed combo is very rare.

Boykin last year had good measureables and a lot of buzz after his 40 (4.42 too). He was the same height, just less weight. His production was minimal (only 200 yards), but did have 3 TDs (RZ threat).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Most of the talking heads are now saying end of the first to mid second. 

I still think it's more likely mid second or third. I love the guy as an ND fan, but I think teams will settle down from the hype, and likely pick guys with more production last year. But a team or GM may very well fall in love. The size and speed combo is very rare.

Boykin last year had good measureables and a lot of buzz after his 40 (4.42 too). He was the same height, just less weight. His production was minimal (only 200 yards), but did have 3 TDs (RZ threat).

Yes!! When they compare his tape and production in college vs his measurables, his stock will settle in. His issues aren’t size and speed for sure, all things you can’t teach, his issues are separation, routes and concentration of each catch. He has had his share of poor drops. Look at his stats against the really good teams and his production isn’t flattering at all. I’m a big ND fan as well and with a 3rd, yes but not with our first 3 picks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Yes!! When they compare his tape and production in college vs his measurables, his stock will settle in. His issues aren’t size and speed for sure, all things you can’t teach, his issues are separation, routes and concentration of each catch. He has had his share of poor drops. Look at his stats against the really good teams and his production isn’t flattering at all. I’m a big ND fan as well and with a 3rd, yes but not with our first 3 picks. 

While I agree his overall production might settle things down, I disagree with a lot of your assessment. His production last year was very solid. 1000+ yards, great AVG, and 13 TDs. Prior to that, he was sitting behind Boykin, and if you know Kelly at all, you know he isn't big on playing young skill players.

That said, he still had 600+ his JR year with Boykin as the headliner. As far as big games, IMO he did just fine. Had a good game vs UGA, and was a monster in the bowl game this year. The only other "big" game was scUM, and everybody looked bad. Book was 8 of 25... Worst game plan I've ever seen from Kelly.

Then add in the other impacts. After they booted Long and Rees took over, his production jumped up significantly. Also just the fact he has Book throwing it to him. I love Book, but he's a three star guy with clear limitations. It'll be interesting to see how he does with Tommy as the OC in 2020. 

As far as separation is concerned, the great majority of his routes were possession routes and 50/50 type stuff (so didn't get much "designed" separation). Book didn't throw a lot of go route stuff either. His hands were more than good intermediate and deep. Drops (true drops) for the most part were short stuff that can arguably be a "touch" and timing issue to an extent with Book. When they started running him a lot in shallow routes (when they moved Finke outside for a time, which was dumb), he was not near as productive. I'd say he can easily overcome those issues by improving hand readiness on the short stuff. That can be taught.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What move to TE?

I just found this out the other day from @stitches.  He's been putting on weight since the senior bowl, likely because teams have told him to move to TE.  That would make sense why he came in at 6'4" 238 lbs.  And his lateral quickness and buildup speed is likely a pretty big reason why they told him that IMO.  I don't think he will be getting any separation at the next level except by using his body to create it.

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's got buildup speed and lacks lateral quickness.  His separation skills in the route are practically nonexistent.  Hence, the move to TE.

He just proved he's got more than build up speed. His 10 yard split was elite (1.52) as well as his 20 yard split (See RAS). Guys of his size aren't typically great laterally, but I'd bet he can polish up his breaks and be just fine (separation). His typical routes didn't do him a lot of favors to design separation. 

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

I just found this out the other day from @stitches.  He's been putting on weight since the senior bowl, likely because teams have told him to move to TE.  That would make sense why he came in at 6'4" 238 lbs.  And his lateral quickness and buildup speed is likely a pretty big reason why they told him that IMO.  I don't think he will be getting any separation at the next level except by using his body to create it.

The newest information is that those reports were premature. Teams are indeed asking him to play TE, but... he said that his weight at the weigh in wasn't an intentional attempt to gain pounds, but rather that he just was hydrating a lot and his real weight is lower. 

I don't know what will happen after his combine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

All the TE buzz is from analysts/talking-heads, not Claypool. He said in one of the interviews he's a WR but will help the team out however he can on both O and STs.

He was already 230 at the end of the season (you lose weight as the season goes on), so chances are, he was 235 or more going into the fall last year. Rumor is he's been prepping with trainers for 2+ months for the combine, which I'm sure included a ton of strength training to put back on the muscle weight lost during the season. 

His 40, as well as his 10 and 20 yard split times dispelled the "build up speed" concerns. Doesn't look like he did the cone or shuttle, so lateral concerns remain.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He just proved he's got more than build up speed. His 10 yard split was elite (1.52) as well as his 20 yard split (See RAS). Guys of his size aren't typically great laterally, but I'd bet he can polish up his breaks and be just fine (separation). His typical routes didn't do him a lot of favors to design separation. 

Without pads, yeah.  I mean maybe it's just that on the screen (talking about game film now) he looks like it's building up speed because of his size.  Eyes can deceive you a bit.  It doesn't help that you can't see the whole route in those ESPN youtube film cutups.  Even so, I think he's got a pretty large uphill battle.  I think he's a Day 3 pick, tbh.

15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Without pads, yeah.  I mean maybe it's just that on the screen (talking about game film now) he looks like it's building up speed because of his size.  Eyes can deceive you a bit.  It doesn't help that you can't see the whole route in those ESPN youtube film cutups.  Even so, I think he's got a pretty large uphill battle.  I think he's a Day 3 pick, tbh.

I think you are spot on that big guys just don't look as fast, even if they are. Boykin was the same. I don't see day 3. I don't think he gets out of day 2 (R2 and 3). If he's a day 3 guy, I hope we're all over him. IMO he'd be better than Funch year 1.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you are spot on that big guys just don't look as fast, even if they are. Boykin was the same. I don't see day 3. I don't think he gets out of day 2 (R2 and 3). If he's a day 3 guy, I hope we're all over him. IMO he'd be better than Funch year 1.

You really think so, eh?  Well if we take him Day 2, I do hope you're right.  

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

You really think so, eh?  Well if we take him Day 2, I do hope you're right.  

I've read a bunch of combine reviews, ESPN and NFL.com this AM, and most were chattering about end of 1st to mid 2nd. I do think all that is an overreaction, but I don't see him going later now than the 3rd. The size and speed combo is just too much to ignore. Add in that he likely aced the interviews and seen as a high character guy (perhaps rare for WRs lol), and it's just likely someone falls in love. It may be enough to make people forget he's from Canada lol... 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I've read a bunch of combine reviews, ESPN and NFL.com this AM, and most were chattering about end of 1st to mid 2nd. I do think all that is an overreaction, but I don't see him going later now than the 3rd. The size and speed combo is just too much to ignore. Add in that he likely aced the interviews and seen as a high character guy (perhaps rare for WRs lol), and it's just likely someone falls in love. It may be enough to make people forget he's from Canada lol... 

Lol https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Lq197Jv

I dont know why it wont paste the picture