Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way To Go Irsay !

BIGugly

First of all we didn't trade anyone for anyone.

Second of all there are plunty of bash on Irsay threads on the board already where you could have put this.

Why would I bash someone that i wrote a check to for over $7,000.00 for season tickets????? And these are not for resale, either.

I hope we don't have to add Luck to the list

He is excited to be a part of a rebuild. Same thing happened to him in college. He didn't have to go to Stanford, they were in a rebuild too. And look how it turned out for them.

I'll say this...it sure would've been nice to have traded Peyton to Denver for picks. But Irsay obviously considered it and thought it better to give Peyton the latitude of choosing the best situation for himself. Good luck GOAT.

Peyton had a no trade clause in his contract so that wasn't an option.

Peyton had a no trade clause in his contract so that wasn't an option.

It wasn't as much of a no-trade clause. It was more of the fact that it was after the trade deadline, and Manning's contract couldn't be traded as constructed until the new league year, and it would have taken paying the option bonus for him to be a Colt in the new league year. Same difference basically but it wasn't an official no-trade clause.

This is all water under the bridge at this point, but couldn't he have waived the no trade clause? They do in baseball.

Irsay said during their press conference something to the effect that Manning wanted to do something that was in the team's interest but that he (Irsay) instead counselled Peyton in a different direction (obviously towards the outcome that occurred). If Peyton was wanting to do something to benefit the team...it was more than likely a rework and trade. Only thing that seems to make sense.

Elway was drafted by the Colts and traded to the Broncos

Manning was released by the Colts and went to the Broncos

I hope we don't have to add Luck to the list

no Elway threatened to play baseball instead of reporting to the Colt's,so he circumvented the draft and they had to trade him.That's why I'll always hate him and his horseteeth.

ill take 15 years over 4-5

What makes you think he's gonna be here for 15 years? I'm getting sick of hearing this assumption that Luck would have the same loyalty as Manning. I'm not trying to be a downer, I hope he is what they say he is and I hope he stays for the long haul. The reality is, in this business that is the NFL, players rarely sit still for that long.

Heck, we just FIRED the greatest QB of all time after only 14 years, and the dude wanted to stay. Not to sound melodramatic, it went to the extent that the man fought back tears while relenting his tenure here.

What I'm saying is, if our FO fails us, if our coaches fail us, he (Luck) may well kick dust in 4-5 years and play for someone else. That would mean he'd last as long here as Peyton could've, plus whatever players we got from trading him. Picks that would've easily matched what STL got. Thats years of supplement.

This thing has so much potential to be histories greatest FO mistake.

What makes you think he's gonna be here for 15 years? I'm getting sick of hearing this assumption that Luck would have the same loyalty as Manning. I'm not trying to be a downer, I hope he is what they say he is and I hope he stays for the long haul. The reality is, in this business that is the NFL, players rarely sit still for that long.

Heck, we just FIRED the greatest QB of all time after only 14 years, and the dude wanted to stay. Not to sound melodramatic, it went to the extent that the man fought back tears while relenting his tenure here.

What I'm saying is, if our FO fails us, if our coaches fail us, he (Luck) may well kick dust in 4-5 years and play for someone else. That would mean he'd last as long here as Peyton could've, plus whatever players we got from trading him. Picks that would've easily matched what STL got. Thats years of supplement.

This thing has so much potential to be histories greatest FO mistake.

you ever see a franchise QB leave? peyton stayed, brady stayed, mcnabb stayed, favre stayed, eli stayed. rivers stayed. you want me to keep going or am i making my point

This whole thing played out exactly like I wanted. It's best for Peyton to go somewhere else to try and win one more and it was best for us to build again with an extremely talented young QB. I wish Manning's injury never would have happened but being how it played out it is the perfect time for us to rebuild and get a well rounded team on both sides of the ball. I don't expect playoffs right away but it will be fun to watch this team develop at any rate. Just imagine the Colts with a good defense. It's hard to fathom I know :yes:

following your logic, how in the world do you assume that Peyton will last 4 or 5 years? what if he hangs it up next season?

Over 200 consecutive starts, 2nd all time streak, tells me he is a tough son of mother. Yea he could hang it up soon. If so we could've had 1st and 2nd round picks to replace him.

Peyton is proven, Luck is not.

following your logic, how in the world do you assume that Peyton will last 4 or 5 years? what if he hangs it up next season?

Because he is one of the most competitive athletes any of us have ever seen. The only thing that would stop him is injury, and that is looking like less and less of an issue every day. Personally I think that he is going to play longer than Favre did. What makes you think that he will "hang it up" next season - particularly after signing a long term deal.

Over 200 consecutive starts, 2nd all time streak, tells me he is a tough son of mother. Yea he could hang it up soon. If so we could've had 1st and 2nd round picks to replace him.

Peyton is proven, Luck is not.

true, but neither was peyton when he replaced jim harbaugh. im pretty sure there were some upset people about letting jim go. i understand he was here for a short time, but he did take us to the championship game. you cant write off someone just because hes not proven. if anything hes the most proven college qb to come out since peyton.

It is true, ppl keep coming up with this whole 15yrs nonsense lol Peyton didn't even last 15yrs with the colts.Who knows how luck or Griffin will turn out, more than likely successful but there's the strong possibility they could fail.

you ever see a franchise QB leave? peyton stayed, brady stayed, mcnabb stayed, favre stayed, eli stayed. rivers stayed. you want me to keep going or am i making my point

Your "point" is selective at best. Mcnabb didn't stay, Favre didn't stay. Peyton didn't stay. So on those two points you're wrong as wrong is wrong.

Eli, Tom and Phillip are still playing so WTH is your point exactly? I think I know what you meant but you worded it poorly.

Yeah, Instead of doing what we did, I would have rather given a boatload of money to a 35 year old qb coming off 4 neck surgeries, who hasn't played football in a year and a half & who we aren't even sure if he has the requisited arm strength to throw the ball effectively....and then followed that up with our usual offseason of signing nobody during free agency, then ^messing^ up the draft, and then fillng in the holes on our team with undersized, marginally talented undrafted free agents.

It is true, ppl keep coming up with this whole 15yrs nonsense lol Peyton didn't even last 15yrs with the colts.Who knows how luck or Griffin will turn out, more than likely successful but there's the strong possibility they could fail.

It's possible they could fail but I don't see it. Both are good character guys with good work ethic and amazing skills. If either one is a bust I will be surprised.

This whole thing played out exactly like I wanted. It's best for Peyton to go somewhere else to try and win one more and it was best for us to build again with an extremely talented young QB. I wish Manning's injury never would have happened but being how it played out it is the perfect time for us to rebuild and get a well rounded team on both sides of the ball. I don't expect playoffs right away but it will be fun to watch this team develop at any rate. Just imagine the Colts with a good defense. It's hard to fathom I know :yes:

The grass is always greener. If you develop a defense like the Ravens, you likely can't afford a QB like Manning (or what you seem to assume that Luck will be). If you catch lightening in a bottle by putting together the D quickly, that's fine for a few years - but the people who expect Luck to shine for 15 years need to realize that after his rookie contract expires he will be expensive as well. The Colts defense was never the best in the league, but it was good enough to win a LOT of games. I agree that it will be fun to see a different kind of defense, but it's a mistake to assume that it will be a better defense (and by the way, I like the Ravens thanks to my roots as a Baltimore Colts fan, but they are one of the most BORING teams I have ever seen in my life. I wouldn't trade our past 14 years for theirs for anything.

true, but neither was peyton when he replaced jim harbaugh. im pretty sure there were some upset people about letting jim go. i understand he was here for a short time, but he did take us to the championship game. you cant write off someone just because hes not proven. if anything hes the most proven college qb to come out since peyton.

I think most reasonable folks understood that Harbaugh wasn't a long term franchise guy. His last year here was poor at best. His loyalists were romantic without due cause.

Your "point" is selective at best. Mcnabb didn't stay, Favre didn't stay. Peyton didn't stay. So on those two points you're wrong as wrong is wrong.

Eli, Tom and Phillip are still playing so WTH is your point exactly? I think I know what you meant but you worded it poorly.

they all resigned to stay with their team. they didnt leave because franchise qbs dont leave their team.

I'll say this...it sure would've been nice to have traded Peyton to Denver for picks. But Irsay obviously considered it and thought it better to give Peyton the latitude of choosing the best situation for himself. Good luck GOAT.

I'll miss him for sure...and it is unfortunate we couldn't trade. It just wasn't ideal to have to fork over the $28 million option and take the salary cap hit to trade him. Who knows, it might not have gotten done if it went that route. Teams probably knew that the Colts weren't going to keep him on the roster...they'd just wait for him to be cut. But hey, we will be rolling in cap money next year.

I think most reasonable folks understood that Harbaugh wasn't a long term franchise guy. His last year here was poor at best. His loyalists were romantic without due cause.

you think fans were happy when rodgers took over favre? of course not he was unproven, but guess what there are fans in green bay that probably would say they would take rodgers over favre as their qb