Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way To Go Irsay !

BIGugly

Yeah, Instead of doing what we did, I would have rather given a boatload of money to a 35 year old qb coming off 4 neck surgeries, who hasn't played football in a year and a half & who we aren't even sure if he has the requisited arm strength to throw the ball effectively....and then followed that up with our usual offseason of signing nobody during free agency, then ^messing^ up the draft, and then fillng in the holes on our team with undersized, marginally talented undrafted free agents.

Painted in such a poor light, it makes me wonder why so many teams fell on their face and lost ground terribly (one of which may have lost a decent franchise guy/Smith) just for the off chance to land this "35 year old qb coming off 4 neck surgeries, who hasn't played football in a year and a half & who we aren't even sure if he has the requisited arm strength to throw the ball effectively"????

Trying so hard to run Peyton down so hard is nothing more than a lame attempt to rationalize something entirely irrational.

Elway was drafted by the Colts and traded to the Broncos

Manning was released by the Colts and went to the Broncos

I hope we don't have to add Luck to the list

The Broncos need to licking our lucky horse shoes. That franchise only becomes relevant whenever the Colts have the #1 pick and are faced with drafting a stud QB from Stanford.

I'll miss him for sure...and it is unfortunate we couldn't trade. It just wasn't ideal to have to fork over the $28 million option and take the salary cap hit to trade him. Who knows, it might not have gotten done if it went that route. Teams probably knew that the Colts weren't going to keep him on the roster...they'd just wait for him to be cut. But hey, we will be rolling in cap money next year.

This is spot on. If we would have traded him for picks, we would have picked up the remaining four years of the option contract, and caused dead money in each year instead of this year. We are going to have tons of cap space to get other FAs the next two years because we didn't extend the option. It would have been a very dumb business move to pay the option just to pick up a couple picks (that could have been busts anyways).

It's possible they could fail but I don't see it. Both are good character guys with good work ethic and amazing skills. If either one is a bust I will be surprised.

With the success rookies are having these days they most likely won't. But saying another 15 years like its guaranteed is a bit too much.

You mean willingly, right? Because the list is long of franchises moving on from HoF QB's before they retired.

packers moved on, 49ers moved on. when you have a chance to extend your franchise's success you take it.

Painted in such a poor light, it makes me wonder why so many teams fell on their face and lost ground terribly (one of which may have lost a decent franchise guy/Smith) just for the off chance to land this "35 year old qb coming off 4 neck surgeries, who hasn't played football in a year and a half & who we aren't even sure if he has the requisited arm strength to throw the ball effectively"????

Trying so hard to run Peyton down so hard is nothing more than a lame attempt to rationalize something entirely irrational.

Did I say something nonfactual about Manning? He's not 35? He didn't have 4 neck surgeries? He didn't last play in January of 2011? His current health isn't a question mark? These are all facts, pal......there's nothing that needs to be "rationalized". If you want to live in a fantasyworld, go right ahead.....doesn't change the reality.

Manning is supposed to be the best player on the planet.....and yet, only a handful of teams are vying for his services?

You think if Aaron Rodgers were cut today, only 3 teams would go after him? lol

Take off your Manning blinders, join us in 2012, and use your brain.

packers moved on, 49ers moved on. when you have a chance to extend your franchise's success you take it.

It's a two-way street we're standing in the middle of, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying you're omitting the potential for extreme regret here.

Be honest with me for minute, please. Is there, or is there not, tremendous potential for this to be the most horrific FO mistake in the history of the NFL?

That being said, the mantra " high risk, high reward". Denver's move (signing Peyton) has the same stakes that our owner's move (releasing Peyton) has. Both sides could regret their moves.

But honestly, please answer my question.

It's a two-way street we're standing in the middle of, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying you're omitting the potential for extreme regret here.

Be honest with me for minute, please. Is there, or is there not, tremendous potential for this to be the most horrific FO mistake in the history of the NFL?

That being said, the mantra " high risk, high reward". Denver's move (signing Peyton) has the same stakes that our owner's move (releasing Peyton) has. Both sides could regret their moves.

But honestly, please answer my question.

theres always a chance of failure with anything you do, but that shouldnt stop you from moving forward.

Lovely. And every time there is a Peyton moment in the future, this board will be reminded by some of how the franchise failed.....like it's our fault it happened in the first place. All in the name of opinion.

Like a poster said on another site......"Put down the stick...........and please step away from the dead horse".

Did I say something nonfactual about Manning? He's not 35? He didn't have 4 neck surgeries? He didn't last play in January of 2011? His current health isn't a question mark? These are all facts, pal......there's nothing that needs to be "rationalized". If you want to live in a fantasyworld, go right ahead.....doesn't change the reality.

Why do we do this here? A differing opinion is mocked as delusion and living in a fantasy world? Be respectful, buddy.

Manning is supposed to be the best player on the planet.....and yet, only a handful of teams are vying for his services?

There are like 4 teams that would not have wanted him. The facts are that most teams either knew they didn't have a chance, didn't have the cap to even start the process or a combination of the two aforementioned plus no desire for distractions/dissension with their current QB and/or they have a high end draft pick this year.

If you don't think MOST teams would take Peyton, you're mistaken.

You think if Aaron Rodgers were cut today, only 3 teams would go after him? lol

If his value was $20mm a year, then yes, few teams would be able to pursue him.

Take off your Manning blinders, join us in 2012, and use your brain.

Grow up and please refrain from insulting me, thank you.

You are lucky though. I have great news! Welcome to my exclusive ignore list for being so nasty while "maturely" discussing this. Have a great day, fella.