Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI Article by Greg Bishop

BleedBlue4Shoe86

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Almost everyone in here hates boring, I don't really care for it either but if we win a SB like the 2002 Bucs did I will take it. When everyone is used to Peyton and Luck it is hard to adjust to a different style. I get it.

This is very true.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't think it was hateful on his or anyone's part really- but it wasn't the best for Luck, no doubt. I

I cannot imagine anyone from the colts camp deciding to leak this and not knowing what it would do in that moment.  It was horrible

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Almost everyone in here hates boring, I don't really care for it either but if we win a SB like the 2002 Bucs did I will take it. When everyone is used to Peyton and Luck it is hard to adjust to a different style. I get it.

I’m totally down with a top 3 defense with 6-7 Pro Bowl and or All Pros, like the Bears, Bucs and Ravens had. This would provide Jacoby with an ideal situation to hoist a Lombardi, which every Colts fan would want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I’m totally down with a top 3 defense with 6-7 Pro Bowl and or All Pros, like the Bears, Bucs and Ravens had. This would provide Jacoby with an ideal situation to hoist a Lombardi, which every Colts would want. 

Yeah me too but right now as you know we don't have it. A championship is a championship though. I have no clue how Ballard is going to approach this draft. This is his most important one of his career IMO.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah me too but right now as you know we don't have it. A championship is a championship though. I have no clue how Ballard is going to approach this draft. This is his most important one of his career IMO.

There was humor in that last post, because there’s no blue print building defenses those teams had. I think some of it is pure luck. 

However, I doubt anyone would care if the Colts won a SB ugly, meaning not having a high octane offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

There was humor in that last post, because there’s no blue print building defenses those teams had. I think some of it is pure luck. 

However, I doubt anyone would care if the Colts won a SB ugly, meaning not having a high octane offense. 

I got your humor but people do hate boring. It is more exciting watching Peyton throw for 5 TD's and we win 35-10, instead of watching JB hand the ball off 30 times and we win 20-19. I would take either though. I just want to win. Like you said If we won the SB ugly most in here would be happy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FRW said:

If we win Sunday we will be 4-2, second in the division and one bad loss from making the playoffs. We left seven points on the field in an overtime loss to the Chargers. An average kicker wins that game for us. At Pittsburgh our backup QB throws a pick six as we are driving to go up two scores early and then our kicker, again misses a XP and later a chip shot FG that would have won the game. Then against Miami our backup QB stinks up the place and loses to one of the worst teams in the NFL. So three games that we should have won, none of which could be blamed on JB. We win those we are hosting a playoff game.

I'll give him an off season to prepare as the starter, and let's see what he can do with a full compliment of healthy receivers before we decide he is Johnny Manziel, and move on with an untested mid round draftee or a washed up past his prime FA like Andy Dalton. 

All fair points regarding our W-L record.

We quite honestly SHOULD be 9-6 right now going into the Jags finale....and JB is not to blame for that.

At the same time....giving him a full off-season "penciled-in" as the starter is probably not the best approach, IMO.

If the culture of this team is such that 50 non-QB players on the roster are "competing" for starting positions....then under the circumstances I believe Jacoby should too.

Not only that....but we can't stand pat with a QB depth chart of Brissett, Hoyer and Kelly.

Does this mean reaching for a QB in the 1st round? No.

But out of the options you mentioned, I favor a late 2nd or better still, 3rd round investment in a QB prospect on draft day....jettison Hoyer..... and open the competition up at QB.

And as the QB situation clarifies itself.....draft and sign the best available players and build the strength of the roster that Brissett, Kelly or "Door #3" will be playing with next season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I got your humor but people do hate boring. It is more exciting watching Peyton throw for 5 TD's and we win 35-10, instead of watching JB hand the ball off 30 times and we win 20-19. I would take either though. I just want to win. Like you said If we won the SB ugly most in here would be happy.

So why do we have to limit ourselves to a terrible QB if we incorporate the run game? Brissett adds nothing of value to this team besides not throwing INT's. We could literally bring Tim Tebow back from retirement and he'd serve the same purposes as Brissett. I want someone who is a threat in the pass game that other teams respect. It's not fair to loyal fans and it's not fair to the rest of the team that he is still starting at QB for the Colts.

6 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

All fair points regarding our W-L record.

We quite honestly SHOULD be 9-6 right now going into the Jags finale....and JB is not to blame for that.

At the same time....giving him a full off-season "penciled-in" as the starter is probably not the best approach, IMO.

If the culture of this team is such that 50 non-QB players on the roster are "competing" for starting positions....then under the circumstances I believe Jacoby should too.

Not only that....but we can't stand pat with a QB depth chart of Brissett, Hoyer and Kelly.

Does this mean reaching for a QB in the 1st round? No.

But out of the options you mentioned, I favor a late 2nd or better still, 3rd round investment in a QB prospect on draft day....jettison Hoyer..... and open the competition up at QB.

And as the QB situation clarifies itself.....draft and sign the best available players and build the strength of the roster that Brissett, Kelly or "Door #3" will be playing with next season.

Yeah I like JB but still feel like we should draft another QB. Our QB depth isn't good at all with Hoyer and Kelly. The guy we draft could end up being good too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Calmack said:

Most of his problem is that he can't go through his progressions and fails to hit open receivers too often. That's on him, not the opposing defense

22 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

For me... (Im not an expert, by any means)

There are parts of JBs game that should be improving by this point in his career

He has had a few years now to pick this up

The reads are VERY slow, the touch is off, his mid and downfield accuracy isnt there.......

How much better could he get?

These two comments say it best IMO. JB is who he is, which is a middling talent at best. He is a great guy and solid locker room presence whom everybody wants to succeed.... but he simply lacks the skill set to do it. The Colts are stuck right now, and will have to acquire or draft the future at the position. Its going to be painful for at least another year while this plays out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So why do we have to limit ourselves to a terrible QB if we incorporate the run game? Brissett adds nothing of value to this team besides not throwing INT's. We could literally bring Tim Tebow back from retirement and he'd serve the same purposes as Brissett. I want someone who is a threat in the pass game that other teams respect. It's not fair to loyal fans and it's not fair to the rest of the team that he is still starting at QB for the Colts.

I am in the camp of drafting another QB but I am not sold on anyone being better than JB whoever we draft. JB is better than what Tebow was, that guy was a great guy, heck of an athlete but really struggled throwing the ball. You used a bad example. JB's % is much better than his.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am in the camp of drafting another QB but I am not sold on anyone being better than JB whoever we draft. JB is better than what Tebow was, that guy was a great guy, heck of an athlete but really struggled throwing the ball. You used a bad example. JB's % is much better than his.

There will definitely be a few QB's better than Brissett in the draft, Ballard just has to find them. If not, then it would be the 2013 QB class all over again, and I don't think it's that bad. Maybe I should compare JB to RGIII, expect less mobile, but RGIII was kind of a jerk, so take the better qualities of Tebow and RGIII and combine them and you have Brissett, who is still worthless on the field as a full time starter. Sorry, but the league has figured him out, and his play is consistent with his scouting reports. Time to start over.

• Like 1

Not having WR that can stretch the field also hurts Jacoby. Hilton is not back  100%.  When you don’t have a stud that defenses have to worry about it makes it easier to stop the passing game. Is some of it Jacoby. Yes. But if you don’t have stars that can stretch the field that is also going to hurt the passing game. You need stars that defenses have to game plan for.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There will definitely be a few QB's better than Brissett in the draft, Ballard just has to find them. If not, then it would be the 2013 QB class all over again, and I don't think it's that bad. Maybe I should compare JB to RGIII, expect less mobile, but RGIII was kind of a jerk, so take the better qualities of Tebow and RGIII and combine them and you have Brissett, who is still worthless on the field as a full time starter. Sorry, but the league has figured him out, and his play is consistent with his scouting reports. Time to start over.

In my latest mock, I have us taking Jordan Love at 16 QB, then at 34 Neville Gallimore DT, and at 48 Antonio Gandy-Golden WR. So I am for taking a QB at 16, I like Eason as well. Having said all of that I like next years QB class better to be honest. Also you do realize this years Colts could easily be 10-6 had it not been for an horrendous kicking game and I love Adam so that pains me to say.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In my latest mock, I have us taking Jordan Love at 16 QB, then at 34 Neville Gallimore DT, and at 48 Antonio Gandy-Golden WR. So I am for taking a QB at 16, I like Eason as well. Having said all of that I like next years QB class better to be honest. Also you do realize this years Colts could easily be 10-6 had it not been for an horrendous kicking game and I love Adam so that pains me to say.

Love at 16 would be fine with me at this point. Eason and Herbert could be good, maybe Anthony Gordon. We could be 10-6 and in the playoffs, but would that mean Jacoby is any better? No. It would just mean we were on the right side of one-score games, and it would hide the problem that is Brissett even more because the team carried him to the playoffs. Time to cut the head off the snake, realize the problem, and start over and fix it. Missing the playoffs could be a blessing in disguise for the long-term outlook of the Colts.

I think this has been mentioned a few times here, and I'll say it again, if the Bengals release Dalton I would pick him up immediately. He's 30 and has been a very good qb in Cinncinati. Even though I still think Kelly deserves a shot over anyone in this years draft.

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I think this has been mentioned a few times here, and I'll say it again, if the Bengals release Dalton I would pick him up immediately. He's 30 and has been a very good qb in Cinncinati. Even though I still think Kelly deserves a shot over anyone in this years draft.

He will be 33 in October. I would rather draft someone. He has never won a playoff game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I would take Dalton in a heartbeat. He has been working behind a terrible O-Line. Put him behind ours for 16 games and we are a playoff team.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not having WR that can stretch the field also hurts Jacoby. Hilton is not back  100%.  When you don’t have a stud that defenses have to worry about it makes it easier to stop the passing game. Is some of it Jacoby. Yes. But if you don’t have stars that can stretch the field that is also going to hurt the passing game. You need stars that defenses have to game plan for.

Well, I’d argue that Ebron looked like a star last year. A lot of that was thanks to Luck, but that’s my point. A really good QB can raise the potential of his WR’s/TE’s. It’s just kinda sad that we have to say things like “let’s just get some stud WR’s, an elite defense, and keep going with our top 5 run game and then maybe we’ll be contenders with JB.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Well, I’d argue that Ebron looked like a star last year. A lot of that was thanks to Luck, but that’s my point. A really good QB can raise the potential of his WR’s/TE’s. It’s just kinda sad that we have to say things like “let’s just get some stud WR’s, an elite defense, and keep going with our top 5 run game and then maybe we’ll be contenders with JB.”

I am not saying that JB has no blame in this. Having your entire WR group wiped out does play a part. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am not saying that JB has no blame in this. Having your entire WR group wiped out does play a part. 

The natural thing for most to do is blame the QB for everything. It has been like that since I have been watching this game for 42 years. QB and Coach. All I ever hear is how Jim Kelly could never win a SB but had his FG kicker made a 47 yard FG he would had.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The natural thing for most to do is blame the QB for everything. It has been like that since I have been watching this game for 42 years. QB and Coach. All I ever hear is how Jim Kelly could never win a SB but had his FG kicker made a 47 yard FG he would had.

I’m not solely blaming the QB. I just don’t think that his issues aren’t going to be magically fixed with some stud WR’s.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Dalton would be fine with me.   He's obviously better than JB.  An improvement would be nice.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts could easily be 10-6 had it not been for an horrendous kicking game and I love Adam so that pains me to say.

Since most of the wins were close games, the Colts could also easily be 5-11.

I think 5 wins were within 7 points with a few being by 2-3 points.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Since most of the wins were close games, the Colts could also easily be 5-11.

I think 5 wins were within 7 points with a few being by 2-3 points.   

Yeah, the way we were winning games is really hard to sustain. Our PD always pointed to more likely being a .500 team than a 10+ win team.

At the very least, that style of play leaves very little room for error in all three phases let alone below average or even mediocre QB play at times. Sure, lots of games end up close, but when your actual strategy is to just eek out close games, it’s gonna be hard to be a contender.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like all those picks.....  

Definitely a decent option

I think Love will put on an athletic show at the combine

I dont see him getting out of the 1st round

But lets ALL BE CLEAR  :) 

if a rookie gets regular starts for the Colts next year...... We will PROBABLY have a worse record than this year.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I'm a bit torn.  When I seen him play, he kind of reminded me a Haskins.   Not in a good way.   But the more I read about him makes me excited at the prospect of getting him.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm a bit torn.  When I seen him play, he kind of reminded me a Haskins.   Not in a good way.   But the more I read about him makes me excited at the prospect of getting him.  

As a Buckeyes fan.....  I watched all of Haskins games

He will be special in the NFL I believe

They both have great touch, quick release, and  are accurate

(Haskins is a bit more accurate IMHO)

Love is a bit more athletic, and quite a bit more dangerous to run than Haskins

Haskins is a plodder

I think Haskins has a higher ceiling

I do think there may be a run on all QBs this year.

There are folks that could trade down in front of us to get Love

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Haskins is a plodder

I'm also a Buckeye fan.   Not to the extreme of most Ohio State fans though.   I'm just not sold on Haskins being successful in the NFL.  I'm not an expert on him though.  When I seen him play with the Skins this season, I wasn't real impressed.   But to be fair, it is the Redskins.   He reminded me of Garrard.   

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Haskins is a plodder

I’ve seen mocks with Love going as high as 7th to way later. Nothing would surprise me with this guy. I know he’s not coming out to be drafted in the 3rd. Definitely will be fun watching him through the combine.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

But lets ALL BE CLEAR  :) 

if a rookie gets regular starts for the Colts next year...... We will PROBABLY have a worse record than this year.....

Ya but we can all see potential. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

But by sitting a rookie a year and starting Jacoby we at least have a good chance of making the playoffs.

Not sure if its a good chance.  I would agree that JB would give us a better chance than a rookie QB.