Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI Article by Greg Bishop

BleedBlue4Shoe86

I know this might belong in the Jacoby Brissett thread but I thought it deserved its own.  I felt it shows how much people believe in him.  I know I'm bias because I have stated I feel he could be great.  But I also thought it was very interesting to hear the areas about Luck.  His injuries, his constant pain but also how he talks with JB weekly and gets lunch whenever they can.  Just overall I think it puts a more human element to them both.  You can love JB or hate him, but this article definitely tells you what kind a person he is.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/27/jacoby-brissett-on-replacing-andrew-luck-future-for-colts

• Like 6

"How in the hell would Brissett replace a perennial MVP candidate?"

They'd put him out there and whatever happened, happened. Just because he got the job..

No one hates JB (that I've seen, in fact, he get's extra padding from obvious and valid criticism from some). It's just that A. he's not in the same universe of abilities as the guy who retired and the teams trajectory is now.. 8-8 and B. he's not winning anything now and hasn't and faith isn't built upon wishes.  4 wins in 17' and whatever credit you want to give this season. I think it was as disappointing as any season that wasn't a SB loss.

Interesting article as far as resetting the Luck saga, but it confirms what I thought a few days ago. They're trying to clean up the mess that was this season and sell us fans on more JB. That'd be okay, but I already know how that story goes. I'm not into it. Sorry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It has good points, but it is more of a story with lots of fluff.  Too much for me.  

Brissett is a good guy and teammate.   No doubt about that.  I'm not sure anyone has ever questioned that.   I wish him well, I just hope it is not with the Colts.   

Some of this is what I talk about with "fluff".   Not that it is bad. I just don't care for it in articles I read.  

Brissett wouldn’t have shifted for an oncoming semi-truck.

Brissett sees a roster constructed in the image of its roster-savant general manager and unassuming preacher-like coach.

They dwell a bit too much on "booing fans".   Very few actually boo'd him.   Much more clapped and cheered him.   Apparently SI just got their info from ESPN.  But it makes a better story to say he was boo'd by most.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

It has good points, but it is more of a story with lots of fluff.  Too much for me.  

Brissett is a good guy and teammate.   No doubt about that.  I'm not sure anyone has ever questioned that.   I wish him well, I just hope it is not with the Colts.   

Some of this is what I talk about with "fluff".   Not that it is bad. I just don't care for it in articles I read.  

Brissett sees a roster constructed in the image of its roster-savant general manager and unassuming preacher-like coach.

They dwell a bit too much on "booing fans".   Very few actually boo'd him.   Much more clapped and cheered him.   Apparently SI just got their info from ESPN.  But it makes a better story to say he was boo'd by most.  

Skip the fluff, what about the insane? "In hindsight, this meeting might appear fortuitous, a stroke of good luck in a season defined by the absence of Luck. But the Colts were far more than fortunate. A few weeks later, “it happened,” Brissett says, referring to Luck’s retirement." The Colts good luck becuase of Lucks retirement..  I laughed.. I know what they're getting at, but it's phrased poorly. And an aside that's not PC. I understood the booing and given the circumstance and the history, coupled with how fans are, not upsetting. QB's retiring at 30 usually don't get standing ovations. 

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yeah...the article fails to mention that Luck was warming up in front of those same fans (and a televised audience) before that game...when the Colts (including the players if this article’s timeline is correct) all knew he was retiring. I understand why Luck wanted to do that...since it was his last time...but it was likely a catalyst for that moment.

• Like 3

The X factor is Jacobys internal drive. Tom House compared it to Brady and Brees. TB is not insanely talented which is why I never consider him the GOAT, but he does have that internal drive thing. So maybe JB “wills himself” to be successful. Whatever the case he is definitely going to get another year to prove himself so we will see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah,  you can take from this article whatever you want.  I'm not in this thread to fight for or against Jacoby.  The reason that I thought it deserved to be on here was because I thought it was an excellent story about JB, Luck and the Colts overall. 

On the flipside, it could be looked as a way to soften the fans to JB, along with the knee injury discussion.  It is interesting to hear Tom House, Chris Ballard, Frank Reich and Bill Parcells all say he could be an above average starter in the NFL. Those guys seem to know way more than any of us. lol

But again, just thought the story was very well written and shined a positive light on the Colts in general.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Skip the fluff, what about the insane? "In hindsight, this meeting might appear fortuitous, a stroke of good luck in a season defined by the absence of Luck. But the Colts were far more than fortunate. A few weeks later, “it happened,” Brissett says, referring to Luck’s retirement." The Colts good luck becuase of Lucks retirement..  I laughed.. I know what they're getting at, but it's phrased poorly. And an aside that's not PC. I understood the booing and given the circumstance and the history, coupled with how fans are, not upsetting. QB's retiring at 30 usually don't get standing ovations. 

I don't think it was phrased poorly. When I read the story, a huge ad popped up right before that paragraph, and I almost missed the small paragraph right before. The one that says that Ballard told JB he wouldn't trade him because he valued him. 

Then Luck retired. And it was fortunate that Ballard had kept JB.

16 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

On the flipside, it could be looked as a way to soften the fans to JB, along with the knee injury discussion. 

SI isn't obligated to run interference for the Colts front office, so they liked the story, but to your point, that's absolutely happening. 

I had tears reading that. That writer put a great human element on the story. Like I have been saying give him a actual off season as the starter and he might surprise everyone. When you read stories like that it does make you wonder if they will just continue to build around him. Injuries have been off the charts on offense.

• Like 2

JB def has people in his corner...but that shouldn’t keep fans (and hopefully Ballard/Reich) from being objective. 

People point to the 5-2 record and the knee injury. But that DEN game was JB’s third poor-below average game in the past four. The regression was already happening...and ultimately he ended up pretty similar to 2017.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

JB def has people in his corner...but that shouldn’t keep fans (and hopefully Ballard/Reich) from being objective. 

People point to the 5-2 record and the knee injury. But that DEN game was JB’s third poor-below average game in the past four. The regression was already happening...and ultimately he ended up pretty similar to 2017.

Denver did the same thing to the Texans when they blew them out a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was regression or just a great defensive game. 

55 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Luck’s retirement was, in fact, very fortuitous for JB. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think it was phrased poorly. When I read the story, a huge ad popped up right before that paragraph, and I almost missed the small paragraph right before. The one that says that Ballard told JB he wouldn't trade him because he valued him. 

Then Luck retired. And it was fortunate that Ballard had kept JB.

Maybe saying it was phrased poorly was me poorly stating my case, but my take didn't change. It reads funny. Somehow Luck stepping away was a good deal for the fans and we're just so darn'd lucky to upgrade to Jacoby or something. (Me continuing to rant at this point) Which is partially the tone of the article, that the Colts have the guy again. I know this article is likely correct that JB is going to get more time under center, but my gut and brain are in agreement that this isn't going to succeed in winning the division, getting into the playoffs and beating top tier teams. There's simply too much quality out there to table the passing game for a locker room guy who can operate at the LOS (great..?).

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Denver did the same thing to the Texans when they blew them out a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was regression or just a great defensive game. 

DEN had a good defense...so there’s no shame in that. It’s just that people (like the author of this article) love to use that arbitrary point of the season...but ignore the context.

• Like 1

I see big media sort of covering for itself when they totally were behind JB and touting him as our next QB.  Now its becoming obvious to them that JB might not be good enough or might be replaced.  Yes there is truth to this human side, and it is heartwarming and feel-good.

But the idea of writing the article now, and publishing it now, comes as not running interference for the Colts FO, but from running interference for the big media pundits who got it wrong about JB for half a season.  We should feel good about him even though the writing is pretty clear that he is not the QB he was touted to be.  JMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Also, everyone talks about the regression and it being because they have tape on JB.  Isn't the natural progression to know have the offseason to review his tape and make adjustments on the Colts and JB's part to counteract the defense.

Most of his problem is that he can't go through his progressions and fails to hit open receivers too often. That's on him, not the opposing defense

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Most of his problem is that he can't go through his progressions and fails to hit open receivers too often. That's on him, not the opposing defense

And he's doing this behind a good O-Line that's buying him time to look around (and then run and dump off).

• Like 2

When reading that and how mentally he was not prepared it does show that having a season to take a breath and now go in to next season as the starter will be huge for him. Everyone wants to just ignore the fact he was not expecting this happen. He is a easy guy to want to root for. That’s why some us really want him to succeed. To the poster who mentioned all the different coaches he has had isa great point. If he can now have a stable coaching staff with Reich maybe he can actually develop now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted JB to step in and do well

(I think almost everyone did)

I dont think that he suddenly became a poor player

The defensive coordinators figured out that JB just wasnt all that accurate

They stopped fearing him, and just started stuffing the box on every play, and shift the defense a bit right before snap. 

Tight man on recievers, and DBs near the line were his downfall

JB is the "feel good" story that just didnt play out

My big question is does the FO also see this as well?

Are we going to be going into 2020 with the exact same QB line up....

My gut says that they might just do that.....  That would be a major disappointment  (at least to me)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I wanted JB to step in and do well

(I think almost everyone did)

I dont think that he suddenly became a poor player

The defensive coordinators figured out that JB just wasnt all that accurate

They stopped fearing him, and just started stuffing the box on every play, and shift the defense a bit right before snap. 

Tight man on recievers, and DBs near the line were his downfall

JB is the "feel good" story that just didnt play out

I am still rooting for him.  This goes back to my point.  If defensive coordinators figured out JB.  Then why can't our coaches take the offseason and work with JB and make adjustments to combat that.  That is the NFL, no?

Also, if JB is what Tom House has said, which is as determined worker as Tom Brady, lets see what happens over the offseason. 

p.s.  Tom House does not have any reason to compare him to Tom Brady.  It's not like if JB suckes it will hurt House's reputation.  He is highly sought after by everyone.

Jacoby, my all accounts, sounds like a great guy.  People like him, teammates like him.  He works hard and he is driven.  That doesn't make a good NFL QB.  Tim Tebow, by all accounts, outworked everyone and was loved by teammates.  That doesn't translate to being a good QB.  I explained to a friend one time that only a handful of people can look over a defense in 3 seconds and throw an accurate ball against an NFL defense that leaves little openings. Doesn't matter how physically gifted you are.  Almost any QB in the NFL, regardless of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string, can usually make a throw behind a good line and running attack. I remember years ago David Garrard was the QB of the Jags and had like 16 TDs and 3 Interceptions.  It is because they were a running team.  When he was forced to throw much, he couldn't get it done.

Look, Ballard loves Clayton Geathers.  But Gathers playing time got cut way short.  We can't apply a different standard to Brissett.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Maybe saying it was phrased poorly was me poorly stating my case, but my take didn't change. It reads funny. Somehow Luck stepping away was a good deal for the fans and we're just so darn'd lucky to upgrade to Jacoby or something. (Me continuing to rant at this point) Which is partially the tone of the article, that the Colts have the guy again. I know this article is likely correct that JB is going to get more time under center, but my gut and brain are in agreement that this isn't going to succeed in winning the division, getting into the playoffs and beating top tier teams. There's simply too much quality out there to table the passing game for a locker room guy who can operate at the LOS (great..?).

That's not the tone I got from the article, or that statement. It was 'good thing they didn't trade JB, because Luck retired a few months later.' That's what I got from that.

And the rest of it was a fluff piece about a guy that everyone seems to like and is rooting for, so no surprise there. Not particularly insightful, and probably more propaganda than substance (not in a sinister way, just designed to endear readers to JB), but I didn't see it as a statement about JB somehow being better for the Colts than Luck. Not at all.

Ultimately, there's probably a 90% likelihood that JB will be the starter in 2020, and I think most of us have accepted that. I just want to see a succession plan, because I don't think JB is good enough. If JB improves significantly in the critical areas, I'm probably good with that as well (but I don't think that's likely to happen). 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I am still rooting for him.  This goes back to my point.  If defensive coordinators figured out JB.  Then why can't our coaches take the offseason and work with JB and make adjustments to combat that.  That is the NFL, no?

Also, if JB is what Tom House has said, which is as determined worker as Tom Brady, lets see what happens over the offseason. 

p.s.  Tom House does not have any reason to compare him to Tom Brady.  It's not like if JB suckes it will hurt House's reputation.  He is highly sought after by everyone.

For me... (Im not an expert, by any means)

There are parts of JBs game that should be improving by this point in his career

He has had a few years now to pick this up

The reads are VERY slow, the touch is off, his mid and downfield accuracy isnt there.......

How much better could he get?

I guess the question I have is what warranted this hype for Brissett?  He was a 3rd round pick of the Patriots.  Most of the time, 3rd round QBs don't amount to much more than a backup QB with a few exceptions.  Secondly, when he did play in 2017, it was an offense that could hardly ever score.  He held the ball too long and would never take chances.  So going into 2019, why did anyone think he had somehow become a franchise QB just because the GM and coach backed him?  They had to!  What other choice did they have?  If you look back at my posts, I have said since before and during the season he isn't very good. Even when his numbers were better and we were winning, I said he wasn't good.  Teams finally figured out if you crowd the line, you can take away the running attack and his check downs.

Again, why did this result surprise anyone?  What would shock  me if if we go into another year with him as the only viable option.

• Like 3

If we win Sunday we will be 4-2, second in the division and one bad loss from making the playoffs. We left seven points on the field in an overtime loss to the Chargers. An average kicker wins that game for us. At Pittsburgh our backup QB throws a pick six as we are driving to go up two scores early and then our kicker, again misses a XP and later a chip shot FG that would have won the game. Then against Miami our backup QB stinks up the place and loses to one of the worst teams in the NFL. So three games that we should have won, none of which could be blamed on JB. We win those we are hosting a playoff game.

I'll give him an off season to prepare as the starter, and let's see what he can do with a full compliment of healthy receivers before we decide he is Johnny Manziel, and move on with an untested mid round draftee or a washed up past his prime FA like Andy Dalton. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I see big media sort of covering for itself when they totally were behind JB and touting him as our next QB.  Now its becoming obvious to them that JB might not be good enough or might be replaced.  Yes there is truth to this human side, and it is heartwarming and feel-good.

But the idea of writing the article now, and publishing it now, comes as not running interference for the Colts FO, but from running interference for the big media pundits who got it wrong about JB for half a season.  We should feel good about him even though the writing is pretty clear that he is not the QB he was touted to be.  JMO.

SI (for some reason)...especially has been touting JB. This is at least the third different writer (two in recent weeks) that I remember.

Back in April, Andy Benoit said he would take JB over Russell Wilson (because JB would have a cheaper contract). When Luck retired, he said that JB was the Colts next starting QB of the future and that he had elite upside. And he called JB’s contract extension the “mother of all bargains”...lol.

Gary Gramling wrote a snarky, apologetic mess of an article before Week 14 about why JB was still the Colts QB of the future.

And then you have this article by Greg Bishop.

Seems hard to believe that these three writers...all from the same outlet...would have these similar opinions without some type of external/internal motivation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

For me... (Im not an expert, by any means)

There are parts of JBs game that should be improving by this point in his career

He has had a few years now to pick this up

The reads are VERY slow, the touch is off, his mid and downfield accuracy isnt there.......

How much better could he get?

To someone’s point earlier. He is on his third coaching staff. Hasn’t had a stable coaching staff to actually work on things. Maybe he actually has that now. Marcus Brady mentioned how they will be working on certain things this off season. QB need stability to develop. 

I am ok with whatever they decide to do in the draft. If they don’t draft a QB think about the three studs they can get with our first three picks. 

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sometimes I question that. There are people who want him to fail.

Who?     I haven't witnessed any of that.    We wanted him to be successful.   

When we didn't see any improvement, we started questioning him.  I was a Brissett supporter for most of this season.  I defended him in many threads.   I can't anymore because I feel what we see is what we get.  He's played too long to change much now.  He still plays the same as he did in college.   Same flaws.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's not the tone I got from the article, or that statement. It was 'good thing they didn't trade JB, because Luck retired a few months later.' That's what I got from that.

It says... "But the Colts were far more than fortunate."

"Far more than fortunate" implies to me that something better than a holdover occurred. 

33 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sometimes I question that. There are people who want him to fail.

I’ve probably been one of the “biggest critics” of JB since the end of 2017. And I will say this, with the way the Colts we’re progressing from last season, I now hate the fact, that the Colts may need to utilize a 1st Rd pick for a QB. I wish JB turned out to be the QB, the media, fans, coaches etc, built him up to be. 

I honestly don’t know, if I’ve ever witnessed so much premature “praise” for a player.  I do believe that has hurt Jacoby with fans. 

Folks wanting JB to fail, I don’t see it. They just wanted to see a better QB, than what was being advertised. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I honestly don't think anyone truly hates Jacoby. I see no reason why. He's pretty likable guy and has handled himself with class and poise throughout the year. He's giving back to the community and he seems to be universally liked as a person. 

That's not to be confused with people thinking he's not good enough to be our franchise QB on the field. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I honestly don’t know, if I’ve ever witnessed so much premature “praise” for a player. 

There's a few reasons for it, some of which we'll just let lay, but agreed. This "he's a top 20" guy talk was weird enough, but let us never forget the window of "and he'll be better than Luck". 

• Like 1