Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SI Article by Greg Bishop

BleedBlue4Shoe86

30 minutes ago, esmort said:

This team has no business in the playoffs. 

Im watching LSU trounce Oklahoma 49 -14 at the half

I BET they wish they would have missed.......  What an embarrasment

The Colts, now that the defensive coordinators understand how to stop us would lose round one

The Saints smashed us, but could have scored 30 more

• Like 1

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Im watching LSU trounce Oklahoma 49 -14 at the half

I BET they wish they would have missed.......  What an embarrasment

The Colts, now that the defensive coordinators understand how to stop us would lose round one

Exactly, look at the teams in the playoffs, then look what the Saints did to us... The Colts would be in for a curb stomping if they had made the playoffs. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:48 AM, Myles said:

It has good points, but it is more of a story with lots of fluff.  Too much for me.  

Brissett is a good guy and teammate.   No doubt about that.  I'm not sure anyone has ever questioned that.   I wish him well, I just hope it is not with the Colts.   

Some of this is what I talk about with "fluff".   Not that it is bad. I just don't care for it in articles I read.  

Brissett wouldn’t have shifted for an oncoming semi-truck.

Brissett sees a roster constructed in the image of its roster-savant general manager and unassuming preacher-like coach.

They dwell a bit too much on "booing fans".   Very few actually boo'd him.   Much more clapped and cheered him.   Apparently SI just got their info from ESPN.  But it makes a better story to say he was boo'd by most.  

yup

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, esmort said:

Exactly, look at the teams in the playoffs, then look what the Saints did to us... The Colts would be in for a curb stomping if they had made the playoffs. 

How short your memory is. Our worst loss was to Saints. Let’s not forget in the NFL anyone can lose. We beat the Chiefs and Texans in back to back weeks. 

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We will probably miss the playoffs by one game. How many kicks did AV miss. Not to mention the two games Jacoby missed that were very winnable.

AV cost us a couple games for sure.   But stuff happens.  JB plays .500 ball and we'll end up around .500.   No surprises.

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

How short your memory is. Our worst loss was to Saints. Let’s not forget in the NFL anyone can lose. We beat the Chiefs and Texans in back to back weeks. 

Ah Yes  ... Two games the JB cheer team like to keep on speed dial. 

1. The Chiefs were missing players and Mahomes was hobbled when we beat them.  Let's not pretend that game was indicative of how good both teams really are.  If we played the Chiefs tomorrow it would look like the Saints game. 

2. Texans was a division game; those games are often close regardless of talent. How many times did we have trouble with the Jags over the years even when we were much better.

Yes any given Sunday and all that, but we have gotten worse while most playoff teams have gotten better and are trending up. Just look at the Titans (not a playoff team yet, but win and in), they held their own against the Saints and manhandled us the 2nd time we played. 

The Colts are not a playoff caliber team, and likely won't be as long as JB is QB. 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:51 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I know this might belong in the Jacoby Brissett thread but I thought it deserved its own.  I felt it shows how much people believe in him.  I know I'm bias because I have stated I feel he could be great.  But I also thought it was very interesting to hear the areas about Luck.  His injuries, his constant pain but also how he talks with JB weekly and gets lunch whenever they can.  Just overall I think it puts a more human element to them both.  You can love JB or hate him, but this article definitely tells you what kind a person he is.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/27/jacoby-brissett-on-replacing-andrew-luck-future-for-colts

Good share! Thanks.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:21 AM, LockeDown said:

The X factor is Jacobys internal drive. Tom House compared it to Brady and Brees. TB is not insanely talented which is why I never consider him the GOAT, but he does have that internal drive thing. So maybe JB “wills himself” to be successful. Whatever the case he is definitely going to get another year to prove himself so w

Well, how come he's waiting so long to will himself to win? coulda started this year....lol

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, The Fish said:

Maybe saying it was phrased poorly was me poorly stating my case, but my take didn't change. It reads funny. Somehow Luck stepping away was a good deal for the fans and we're just so darn'd lucky to upgrade to Jacoby or something. (Me continuing to rant at this point) Which is partially the tone of the article, that the Colts have the guy again. I know this article is likely correct that JB is going to get more time under center, but my gut and brain are in agreement that this isn't going to succeed in winning the division, getting into the playoffs and beating top tier teams. There's simply too much quality out there to table the passing game for a locker room guy who can operate at the LOS (great..?).

At least 3 games this year we can blame almost solely on the kicker.  Another 2-3 games are mainly on the kicker.  That's 5 games on the kicker.   We win 3 of those games and we're a 10-6 team instead of a 7-9 team.  That would put us atop the division, or at worst in a wildcard position based on the way the standings turned out.  So, I do think Jacoby is a good enough QB to win the AFC South (whether we could go into the playoffs and beat Baltimore or NE is another question, but I think he played well enough this year to win the AFC South).  Also, to his credit, his WR/TE corp was garbage most of the season.  Frankly,  I don't see many options out there this offseason (aside from Luck coming out of retirement), which will put us in a better position than we would be with Brissett.  We have some other glaring holes on this team (WR depth and skill, TE depth and skill, DB depth and skill, DL depth and skill, improvement at RG though our overall OL depth is solid, a reliable kicker, etc.) which I think we can fix and still have a very good shot to win the AFC South with Jacoby behind center next year.  Not saying he's 'the future', but I certainly think he's decent enough to get us the divisional title.

As for games lost by our K,

Week 1 - lost 30-24 to Chargers -- Vinatieri missed 2 FGs and 1 XP (7 points on the board, we lost by 6),

Week 9 - lost 26-24 to Steelers (with Hoyer getting most of snaps) -- Vinatieri missed a FG and an XP (4 points on the board, we lost by 2),

Week 14 - lost 38-35 to TB - McLaughlin missed a FG (left 3 points on board, lost by 3)

And those where the K had a major influence,

Week 4 - lost 31-24 to OAK -- Vinny missed 1 FG (3 points on board, lost by 6 -- OAK had a pick 6 which killed us, but the way that game was managed could have been slightly different if we didn't miss a very makeable FG)

Week 10 - lost to 16-12 to MIA -- Vinny missed an XP (1 point on board, lost by 4 -- another game where management was likely altered due to the K, if we're down 3 tying the game with a FG is a different beast than winning with a TD -- *Note: Hoyer played this game and threw 3 INTs)

Week 13 - lost 31-17 to TEN - Vinny missed 3 FGs (9 points on the board, lost by 14 -- most certainly influenced the way this game was managed as with an additional 9 points, it's a 1 score game).

Even if we won the first two games I mentioned and tied TB (which is what the case would be had we just not lost the points to missed kicks), we would've had a good enough record to make the playoffs.  Win all 3 of them and we're the AFC south champs.   Add one or two of the 'major influenced by K' games and we win the AFC south, as well.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I wanted JB to step in and do well

(I think almost everyone did)

I dont think that he suddenly became a poor player

The defensive coordinators figured out that JB just wasnt all that accurate

They stopped fearing him, and just started stuffing the box on every play, and shift the defense a bit right before snap. 

Tight man on recievers, and DBs near the line were his downfall

JB is the "feel good" story that just didnt play out

My big question is does the FO also see this as well?

Are we going to be going into 2020 with the exact same QB line up....

My gut says that they might just do that.....  That would be a major disappointment  (at least to me)

A lot of people on here have debated in the past whether TY is a true #1 WR or not.  I tend to think he's more of a 1b type, though I go back and forth.  Regardless, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's a legit #1.  

He missed 6 games.  We won only 1 of those games (so 6 of our 7 wins came with TY in the line-up).  Funchess was the only other WR on this roster who was a drafted player when the season started and he got hurt week 1.  Jacoby was playing with a bunch of undrafted guys for a very good chunk of the season.  

Ebron was the only drafted TE on this roster and he missed the last 1/4 of the season.  There were literally games when the highest drafted skill guy on the O was 4th round pick, Nyheim Hines (who was drafted ~40 spots earlier than Mack was a year before him).  

This is probably a Ballard issue, though I can't fault him for not being able to predict that Funchess, Ebron and TY would all miss significant time to injury.

Many people thought that our WR/TE group was the strong suite of this team going into the season (with unrealistic expectations for Cain, decent expectations from Reece Fountain, big expectations from Funchess and Ebron and normal expectations from TY).  Unfortunately, Cain didn't pan out, Fountain and Funchess missed most of the season.  TY and Ebron missed significant chunks of time (and at least in TY's case, some games he was obviously not 100% when he played).  

Again, not saying Brissett is the long-term answer at QB.  However, he had one of the worst WR/TE groups in the NFL for a good chunk of the season (in large part due to injury).  I don't care who your QB is, but when Zach Pascal is your WR #1, Doyle is your TE #1 (as a receiver), and your other options to throw to are Mo Alie-Cox, Chester Rogers, and some dudes off the street... you're not going to get elite level QB play from more than 1-3 QBs in the league (maybe Brees, Rodgers, Brady could make that crew look good? maybe Wilson? but those are just maybes).  

Due to lack of talent likely available come our draft pick, lack of solid FA QBs (looks like our options may be Eli, Rivers, Bridgewater, and Carr -- with Rivers being the only sure-fire upgrade to Jacoby there, IMO and that's a stretch given age), and a very serious need for upgrades to other positions (WR, TE, DL, RG, K, DB), I don't mind us sticking with Jacoby for one more year and seeing how he does if surrounded by better talent.

• Thanks 1

JB is a GREAT guy, and he had to go through a lot having to suddenly replace a potential hof qb at moments notice...BUT, this year proved that he is not the future. You might say it's his first season but usually you show flashes of greatness even in your first year, and he showed no such thing. His peak this season is what we would call a good game from Alex Smith. His floor was unwatchably bad.